IGNORED

My Team For Brentford

Davefevs

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

There is a reason we've seen Mariappa & not Hunt at left back both times Rowe has got injured, Hunt is terrible on his left foot. 

Can't see DH going with Hunt there against Brentford.  

Massengo or Nagy our best option to play there I reckon.

I can't believe we haven't signed a left back. Would've been plenty available on loan, and plenty of quality in the lower leagues, it's a shambles. If Rowe gets injured long term, whats the plan then? Free agent market again?

Would love to understand our current recruitment policy. Seems to be very scatter gun 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The very same thought just went through my head too JD. 

As for @Davefevsinitial line up, I’d swap Moore out for Mariappa. Kinda feel a bit sorry for ‘Mapps’. Was signed as a CB because we had no cover there, and then has been shunted around at full back positions. I think the only time he got some minutes at CB was as the LCB, a position all of our right-footers struggle with. So we haven’t yet seen him in his best position. 

Is Lansbury fit? If so, I’d have him in rather than Palmer. KP’s tendency to give the ball away too often could really hurt against Brentford. 

Harr, the only reason I picked Moore over Mariappa was to get Kalas on the ball as a side CB, and his pace.  Mariappa a better defender than Moore, but it’s a bit of a one-off needs must selection.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Fevs, I would be interested to see your line up if everyone was fit for comparison..... How many of this line up would feature? 

I’m not one for picking “best eleven”, but there would be several that wouldn’t be anything like regular starters in my preferred line-up.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

There is a reason we've seen Mariappa & not Hunt at left back both times Rowe has got injured, Hunt is terrible on his left foot. 

I can't believe we haven't signed a left back. Would've been plenty available on loan, and plenty of quality in the lower leagues, it's a shambles. If Rowe gets injured long term, whats the plan then? Free agent market again?

Re Hunt, I wouldn’t have considered him at LWB, but with Mbuemo coming in off the right onto his left foot, and him being quicker than Mariappa, that’s why I went for him.  He’s better on the ball than Mariappa, even if it means he has to come inside all the time.  It ain’t rocket science that movement ahead of him has to be “inside” not clipped down the line.  Nagy, needs to be a constant passing option, even if that triangle is with Mawson, who can recycle from there.

Re LB, can only assume Rowe isn’t that bad, Sessegnon isn’t far away, nor is Nurse.  Unfortunately, other clubs will’ve seen us as desperate, and players will look and think “am I gonna play when Dasilva is fit”.  It’s less about not getting someone in this window, more the overall planning.  I wasn’t the only one at the start of the season that said sending Pring out on loan was a risky thing.  With Dasilva’s injury record, and Rowe being able deputy rather than fully-fledged LB, it seemed a strange decision.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Harr, the only reason I picked Moore over Mariappa was to get Kalas on the ball as a side CB, and his pace.  Mariappa a better defender than Moore, but it’s a bit of a one-off needs must selection.

I’m not one for picking “best eleven”, but there would be several that wouldn’t be anything like regular starters in my preferred line-up.

Re Hunt, I wouldn’t have considered him at LWB, but with Mbuemo coming in off the right onto his left foot, and him being quicker than Mariappa, that’s why I went for him.  He’s better on the ball than Mariappa, even if it means he has to come inside all the time.  It ain’t rocket science that movement ahead of him has to be “inside” not clipped down the line.  Nagy, needs to be a constant passing option, even if that triangle is with Mawson, who can recycle from there.

Re LB, can only assume Rowe isn’t that bad, Sessegnon isn’t far away, nor is Nurse.  Unfortunately, other clubs will’ve seen us as desperate, and players will look and think “am I gonna play when Dasilva is fit”.  It’s less about not getting someone in this window, more the overall planning.  I wasn’t the only one at the start of the season that said sending Pring out on loan was a risky thing.  With Dasilva’s injury record, and Rowe being able deputy rather than fully-fledged LB, it seemed a strange decision.

Come on Dave. For a man who’s been suggesting we can bully lower league teams into selling us players in the summer because of the current financial crisis football is in, what means we couldn’t have done it in Jan!

I just hope Rowe gets fully fit again because Pring is out for a while & Nurse has now also had 2 spells out injured this season.

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I actually think Nagy left wing back may be an option. Phenomenal work rate and good with either foot. Filled in very briefly at right back last season in one game, not much to go on of course! At least we have other central midfield options that can come in for him if he was to play there. 

I honestly don't think this is as daft as some may perceive it. Many examples of central midfielders making good full backs - Essien, Stevie G in Champs League final, Korey Smith and Orr (permanently).

We have no one else who seems naturally able to slot in on the left in a defensive capacity. Against good attacking teams, Hunt scares me on the right, let alone the left. Mapps is solid but lacks wheels and doesn't offer anything going forward, particularly on the left. My main concern with Nagy at LWB is I think we'd miss his energy and reading of the game in the middle of the park. Great suggestion I think though! 

57 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Come on Dave. For a man who’s been suggesting we can bully lower league teams into selling us players in the summer because of the current financial crisis football is in, what means we couldn’t have done it in Jan!

I just hope Rowe gets fully fit again because Pring is out for a while & Nurse has now also had 2 spells out injured this season.

We can bully them, but take Tom Pearce for example:

MA - we’d really like you to come to “Bristol”

TP - what do you see as my role on team

MA - you’ll be straight in the first team

TP - what about when Jay, Tommy, Cam, Callum are fit,

MA - Dean picks the team

TP - I don’t think I’ll bother

Alternate view:

MA - we’d really like you to come to “Bristol”

TP - what do you see as my role on team

MA - you’ll be straight in the first team

TP - what about when Jay, Tommy, Cam, Callum are fit

MA - let me be clear, quantum, stars aligning, Geoff, thanks Maggie and Steve (not you Jon), I know the market, 

TP - nah, don’t think I’ll bother, would’ve been nice to get Mr Holden’s view.

6 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Lansbury could possibly start tomorrow , pato on the bench & maybe a outside chance of williams being on their as well. 

Wow! 3 players short on match fitness is taking a risk, but maybe just maybe............

4-5-1

............................Bentley

......Hunt..... Kalas..... Mawson..... Rowe

Palmer Lansbury Bakinson Nagy Semenyo

............................Martin

Should get an hour out of Lansbury (if not, Massengo) and as long as he can run, Rowe will be available (if not, Mariappa).

As long as we keep a reasonable gap between the lines we'll be hard to break down.

11 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I think that's more to do with football intelligence. Milner showed you can play left back and barely use your left foot.  He adapted his game. 

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

4-5-1

............................Bentley

......Hunt..... Kalas..... Mawson..... Rowe

Palmer Lansbury Bakinson Nagy Semenyo

............................Martin

Should get an hour out of Lansbury (if not, Massengo) and as long as he can run, Rowe will be available (if not, Mariappa).

As long as we keep a reasonable gap between the lines we'll be hard to break down.

Yeah, like that side- remaining compact is key- little word on whether Lansbury is available (unless I've missed it), read on here something about 3 weeks? Surely not though.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, like that side- remaining compact is key- little word on whether Lansbury is available (unless I've missed it), read on here something about 3 weeks? Surely not though.

No, you’ve not heard anything re Lansbury....pure speculation from Ian on RB on Saturday.  I’d be amazed if he wasn’t on the bench tomorrow night.  James Morton leaves one space, Sam Pearson may miss out too, plus potentially Tommy Rowe.  Pato and Sessegnon competing to come back in too in their places..

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not sure.

But Massengo or Vyner if not.

Williams had just over an hour today for u-23s so he'll be ready for Saturday I would hope - at least for an hour or so. Things may be looking up.

If Paterson is fit, this would bring back some much needed balance. Mariappa if Rowe unavailable, if Lansbury unavailable then it'd be Bakinson, Massengo and Nagy. Otherwise. 4-3-1-2.

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Mawson Rowe

Bakinson Nagy Lansbury

Palmer

Semenyo Wells

We would need to work very hard out of possession, this midfield 3 would form a bit of a barrier and in certain phases, Semenyo can help Hunt defensively, out of possession.

Whike in possession, that midfield 3 forms the barrier between the defence and Palmer, thereby giving Palmer a little more margin for error.

While Wells will be through the middle, and Semenyo though he doesn't score can drift wide and central and assist.

Far from a perfect balance but given Brentford will likely see a lot of the ball, 3 in CM and maybe Palmer can spring that front 2, medium rather than a low block.

Paterson for Palmer might bring about less fantasy passes, less magic but Paterson still technically good, can bring some goals from midfield and is a better fit for pulling left out of possession, and inside perhaps in other phases- bit better than Palmer out of possession too.

Losing is part of football and my head says defeat tonight. But let’s have a go City let’s create some chances. Let’s not sit back and get pinned in as it will only end one way. Only 1 goal scored in last 5 away games with 5 defeats . Hopefully Lansbury plays and Paterson is back in the squad 

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Losing is part of football and my head says defeat tonight. But let’s have a go City let’s create some chances. Let’s not sit back and get pinned in as it will only end one way. Only 1 goal scored in last 5 away games with 5 defeats . Hopefully Lansbury plays and Paterson is back in the squad 

Sadly I share your pessimism about tonight’s game. Only with a fully fit squad City might just have grabbed a point  but with so many unavailable I really can’t see it.

Against Derby we were abject, add 60 minutes against Huddersfield if you want. Holden is likely to make changes.

Players coming back?
Williams has played a couple of times, but having played an hour yesterday doubtful he'll be involved. Surprise bench place?
Paterson was rumoured to be on the bench last week, could make it this week.
Sessignon has disappeared again, was supposed to play for U23's last week but didn't. Doubt we'll see him tonight.

Alternatives?
The bench wasn't very strong, so options are still limited.
We do have Lansbury, hardly played this year so has kept fit.
Moore & Martin are options, Bakinson hasn't been great, Mariappa will probably start. That leaves HNM. G-McG mentioned him in the presser, DH praised his attitude and strength, plus his attitude in training, surely has to be given a chance.

I would expect a shape change, 4-4-2 would be suicidal . Makes sense to go back to the 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1. With Holden's reluctance to change things too much I guess we will go 2 up top. My guess would be.

Bentley

Vyner       Kalas        Mawson

Hunt   Nagy/HNM       Palmer.    Lansbury      Mariappa

Martin                 Fam

Not my preferred line up, but what I think we'll go with. I'd pack the MF and play one striker. All we can hope is the defence is much tighter and we actually make a tackle or two, I'd be surprised if we keep them below 3, not a great feeling going into a game. Glad I don't have to pay tonight, I would seriously consider not bothering, another performance like WRDC and serious questions would have to be asked. 

If we're going to get anything from tonight, we're going to need to have drastically improved our transition out of defence. 

The last two games highlighted how if we get pinned back, we get stuck deep and find it difficult to get possession back in the oppositions half.

So for me, either we go Fam and Martin, two target men who can aim to hold the ball up and get some pace around them to work off. But options limited there. Maybe aim to nick a goal from a set piece.

If we go lightweight up top, Wells/Semenyo for example, we will need to be breaking at our very best, looking to nick something on thr break. That will need Hunt and LB busting a gut, Nagy and Palmer or Pato or Bakinson getting up quickly and then back in support. 

Bentley   

Vyner        Kalas         Mawson

Nagy                                                        Hunt

Lansbury    HNM

Palmer

Diédhiou    Wells

Gone a bit left field with Nagy playing at right wing back, but has the energy to do it & for me Hunt is possibly the best option for left wing back at the moment. Obviously cannot be sure on Lansburys fitness levels, but he has played recently I believe, so even if we get 60 minutes out of him, he’s probably our best option in there. Palmer moving more centrally also gets us numbers in & around the middle where a very good Brentford will look to dominate. Probably comes a week to early for Williams, but might be an option off the bench. Just want us to go out, play a high intensity game, stick their chests out & get on the bloody ball. Be brave & have a go. COYR 

Archived