IGNORED

Brentford (A) - Wed 3rd Feb 19:45 - Matchday thread

Game polls.  

267 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will Brentford score?

3. 3. How many shots on target will we have?

4. 4. Where is the game being shown?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/21 at 19:46

The game is on Sky, it's not on the red button. And because it's on Sky it's not on Robins TV.

Ok, as much as we've been trying to avoid it, it's time, it's the away game at Brentford. Usually I include a joke answer in the poll, this time I've put two, Draw and Bristol City win. I'm pretty worried!

The combination of their last game where they hit seven against Wycombe, our last game which I've deleted from my mind, and general uncertainty about what our left hand side looks like defending against them has me very concerned. The encouraging thing is this is the championship and the good teams do keep dropping points... however we've been pretty consistent against the top teams in this league... We have 2 points from 7 games against the top seven teams in this league! Hey we did beat Blackburn, if you want to throw them in... 

What's that? Someone might have coughed on the coach down? Call the game off! At least they're not Accrington Stanley eh? Getting smashed by them would be super embarrassing!

Losing away at Brentford is acceptable, but another game with minimal shots, corners, chances, movement and desire isn't.

COYR, react to the last game, put up a fight, show SOMETHING!

I'll post both teams in a single post when they come out on twitter.

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

I’m having a bet on City to win tonight albeit not a very big one at 15/2 

I fancy City tonight 1-2. Some on here have thrown in the towel already, which considering we are 3 points off the play offs and the championship is full of 'surprising' results is strange.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, nothing is a  given in football.

Yes we are underdogs and everything points to a comfortable three points for the home side but;

They take it easy on the back of a huge win over division whipping boys, underestimate us and overestimate themselves.

We have strengths and weaknesses like they do.

We have some very good players who are more than capable of causing them problems.

4 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I fancy City tonight 1-2. Some on here have thrown in the towel already, which considering we are 3 points off the play offs and the championship is full of 'surprising' results is strange.

Hope you are right!

problem is that for 2 seasons we have been subjected to some absolute dross, thank god it’s not been every game!

There have been some good moments but nowhere near enough due to poor management and some disinterested players!

One good thing is that it can’t really get worse, with a soon to be fit squad and some brave game management we may well see exciting football again soon

COYR

8 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Very much hope you are right, although fail to see any reason for optimism following our last 2.5 games of pi55 poor 'football'.

7-1 Brentford is my guess.

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Very much hope you are right, although fail to see any reason for optimism following our last 2.5 games of pi55 poor 'football'.

7-1 Brentford is my guess.

I appreciate you have tongue firmly planted in cheek, but I'd remind you the most we have conceded in the league is 3 and that was only twice. Mawson, Kalas and Bentley are arguably the best or certainly in the best 2 or 3 keeper/centre back combos in the division. Of course there is always the possibility of a big defeat against a good Bees side but equally we could spring a shock COYR

We simply have to pack the midfield and stop them moving the ball at ease around us. We need to impose ourselves onto them and let them know they’re in a game. We also need energy in the midfield , prepared to press and hurry them.

Do we have the players / team to beat them. Yes we do, set up correctly and sticking to a game plan 

We’re gonna cruise this one. 

Holden is going to use his tactical genius by playing a 10-0-0 for the first 89 minutes and then go for it in the final few minutes with his tried and tested ‘nuclear’ 0-0-10 formation. 

Comfortable 0-6 to City for me. 

I always go into a game with a clean slate and the positivity that we could beat anyone in this league on our day.

I don’t feel that at the moment though.

My prediction: Brentford 3 City 0

They score early on, we huff and puff a little before they turn on the gas and pick up a second before half time. We come out second half, coaches hollow words echoing in the players minds...push a little, threaten less and concede the demoralising 3rd which kills the contest. 

I will stick my head above the parapet and you can crucify me later..........my question to those people who think we will get mauled by 7,8,9 etc. when was the last time that has happened? Some of you have previous for it, too, yet still haven't learned that for all the shite football we play we do have a keeper and back four who will literally put their bodies on the line to stop the ball hitting the back of our net. It is obvious that we will try to be as solid as we can tonight. We will not go open like Wycombe did on Saturday, that's a cast iron certainty.

Do I see us getting a result? No, I don't. Will we play some decent football and get edged out? No, we won't. Will it be a fairly one-sided game with Brentford probably winning comfortably (I class that as a 2-3 goal win)? Most likely. If we defend poorly, could it be 4-6 goals? Possibly could. However, if Brentford miss a few clear chances could we catch them on a rare break and have something to hold on to and steal a result? Wouldn't be the first time would it?

I would love to know your explanation, WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT, on why you think we will get a 7 goal plus tanking?

Our team can always surprise us when the players are in the shop window on the telly, so who knows which way it will go.  However our performances of late have been nothing short of dire and if we can't get some shots on target, then we can't win the game.

TBH, I think the Bees are going to be a bit too good for us and we will probably lose this one.  I'm sure we will not let in 6 though and Brentford are a fair bit better than Accrington Stanley.

I might be tempted to go with a back 5 tonight (subject to availability).  Will be interesting to see what team Dean puts out and whether he agrees with me.

If we go 532, we will have 2 decent forwards on the bench if we need them.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Prinny said:

The game is on Sky, it's not on the red button. And because it's on Sky it's not on Robins TV.

Ok, as much as we've been trying to avoid it, it's time, it's the away game at Brentford. Usually I include a joke answer in the poll, this time I've put two, Draw and Bristol City win. I'm pretty worried!

The combination of their last game where they hit seven against Wycombe, our last game which I've deleted from my mind, and general uncertainty about what our left hand side looks like defending against them has me very concerned. The encouraging thing is this is the championship and the good teams do keep dropping points... however we've been pretty consistent against the top teams in this league... We have 2 points from 7 games against the top seven teams in this league! Hey we did beat Blackburn, if you want to throw them in... 

What's that? Someone might have coughed on the coach down? Call the game off! At least they're not Accrington Stanley eh? Getting smashed by them would be super embarrassing!

Losing away at Brentford is acceptable, but another game with minimal shots, corners, chances, movement and desire isn't.

COYR, react to the last game, put up a fight, show SOMETHING!

I'll post both teams in a single post when they come out on twitter.

No question to ask how many goals City will score?

I am interested why there is this fear we are going to get a real thumping tonight. Surely not basing this on the fact that an awful Wycombe side gave up against them at the weekend?

I'm surprised so few people noticed that Wycombe actually scored twice agains them

I can only think of the  Swansea drubbing in all the years that I have been watching, and we are nowhere near as bad a side as that

Don't be surprised to see us get something tonight

For me tonight would normally be one of those games where if the attitude is "it was 0-0 when we got off the bus and we'll make sure it's still 0-0 when we get back on it" it would be acceptable for me. The problem I have currently is that we would be watching same-old, same-old and it is getting tedious now...........and I'm not sure we are good enough to hold out for the full 90 against them anyway. We will need to hit the onion bag tonight and I'm not sure at the moment we are up to doing that against them either.

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, nothing is a  given in football.

Yes we are underdogs and everything points to a comfortable three points for the home side but;

They take it easy on the back of a huge win over division whipping boys, underestimate us and overestimate themselves.

We have strengths and weaknesses like they do.

We have some very good players who are more than capable of causing them problems.

I agree with you,its a massive achievement for us to go 18 unbeaten especially as unpredictable this season has been.Law of averages not only will we lose but when it’s not expected like tonight.

18 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I will stick my head above the parapet and you can crucify me later..........my question to those people who think we will get mauled by 7,8,9 etc. when was the last time that has happened? Some of you have previous for it, too, yet still haven't learned that for all the shite football we play we do have a keeper and back four who will literally put their bodies on the line to stop the ball hitting the back of our net. It is obvious that we will try to be as solid as we can tonight. We will not go open like Wycombe did on Saturday, that's a cast iron certainty.

Do I see us getting a result? No, I don't. Will we play some decent football and get edged out? No, we won't. Will it be a fairly one-sided game with Brentford probably winning comfortably (I class that as a 2-3 goal win)? Most likely. If we defend poorly, could it be 4-6 goals? Possibly could. However, if Brentford miss a few clear chances could we catch them on a rare break and have something to hold on to and steal a result? Wouldn't be the first time would it?

I would love to know your explanation, WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT, on why you think we will get a 7 goal plus tanking?

Ah predicting all a bit of fun - to be fair, 7-0 sounds far fetched, only 3 or 4 think that. Not exactly many...at least they put their colours to the mast..

You've basically sat on the fence...could win, could lose. Could lose by 2, could lose by 6. Could nick it. Make your mind up!?

5 minutes ago, Bill the Bee said:

I agree with you,its a massive achievement for us to go 18 unbeaten especially as unpredictable this season has been.Law of averages not only will we lose but when it’s not expected like tonight.

Madness I know but I think we can win this, we are playing Brentford away not Bayern Munich.  
We are on the cusp of greatness. 

After a number of their squad tested positive for hamstring-19, Bristol City's game against Brentford has been cancelled and the game forfeited by City, conceding a 3-0 win to  Brentford.

City Head Coach, Dean Holden, described it as a good result for City. "with Brentford and City's recent form we did well to limit them to 3" he said, adding "this was  a better result than many were expecting and will avoid much spleen venting among our fans. We go again"

?

Tonight will go one of two ways.
Brentford continue their run of form, as do we and comfortably win 3-0.
Or it's one of those games when form book goes out the window and we scrape a 1-0 win or a 1-1 draw. Brentford do have a habit in previous seasons of hitting very rich reigns of forms to then get complacent and lose when it seems impossible. 
They have form for this, last season was them all over, as soon as promotion was in their hands, they lost the plot.

I just have a funny feeling we will nick this one. Players in their own minds probably won't feel the pressure to get a result here despite all the happy clap media interviews saying we are going there for a positive result. Takes the pressure off psychologically and perhaps will allow a bit of freedom to shine through.

I'll put my neck on the line and say 1-0 Win with Antoine bagging

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

No question to ask how many goals City will score?

I am interested why there is this fear we are going to get a real thumping tonight. Surely not basing this on the fact that an awful Wycombe side gave up against them at the weekend?

I'm surprised so few people noticed that Wycombe actually scored twice agains them

I can only think of the  Swansea drubbing in all the years that I have been watching, and we are nowhere near as bad a side as that

Don't be surprised to see us get something tonight

I thoughts shots was funnier/more interesting as we've only scored 0, 1 or 2 in the league so far this season!

The genuine fear is that they match up well against us, our lack of movement, weakness on the flanks, concentration issues on set pieces. Then we have how we're playing, and how we've done vs the top teams in this league. I think Swansea was good, Watford OK, and the rest pretty damn bad.

I genuinely want us to win! I hope we do!

10 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Ah predicting all a bit of fun - to be fair, 7-0 sounds far fetched, only 3 or 4 think that. Not exactly many...at least they put their colours to the mast..

You've basically sat on the fence...could win, could lose. Could lose by 2, could lose by 6. Could nick it. Make your mind up!?

Yeah... Football isn't played on paper it's why we play the game etc, but it's not really sticking your head above the parapet when you say "I don't think we'll get beat by 7-9 goals"!

5 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

I just have a funny feeling we will nick this one.

I have a funny feeling that it might be best to avoid OTIB this evening. 

Then again..............

17 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think we will lose by a couple of goals but put up a fight. I've already posted that elsewhere and you could work it out from my post anyway if you're honest. Just pointing out that many things could happen and losing by 7 goals plus is one of the least plausible imo (if I have to backtrack on that later then so be it but it won't happen in my view - we aren't good at all but we are better than that).

Archived