IGNORED

Brentford (A) - Wed 3rd Feb 19:45 - Matchday thread

Game polls.  

267 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will Brentford score?

3. 3. How many shots on target will we have?

4. 4. Where is the game being shown?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/21 at 19:46

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Can’t see that Holden could have done much to change the outcome tonight.  I liked the starting line-up and the substitutions were decent.  I can’t see what other tactics we could have employed which would have produced a better result.  Edwards was a brave choice and he did well, ditto Massengo.  The first goal was down to a poor error from an experienced player (Mawson), the other two goals were class.  It would have been nice to have got something out of the game, but it was a huge improvement on Saturday, and if we can get Williams in and O’Dowda back to cover the left side (presumably returning to three at the back) then we can improve further.  With the injuries we were never realistically going to be contenders, so I’d settle for mid table obscurity this season, though beating Sheffield United would be terrific.

Starting 11 agreed,

Subs coming on agreed.

Subs coming off, didn’t get that.

a simple swap across the front 3 would have been spot on, keep the shape that was working but add new energy and ideas.

But hey we got a goal back tho

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

How, in just a few years, have we fallen so far behind Brentford that we fear playing them?

Says it all, doesn't it.

We're a midtable side that can usually beat the weakest in the second tier, but are outclassed by multiple clubs at the top.

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

There are, but I can't risk streaming games on my work computer, so sadly I'm stuck with the radio. Was anything I said incorrect or not accurate though? 

I’d argue that they were far more comfortable than you said and never really got out of 2nd gear. We were ok first half but their quality showed in second half.

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Dont want to sound like a dick but how do you know he raises their spirit any more than LJ did? 

LJ did actually comment a couple of times that he may have over complicated things tactically. 

Dick & Wrist = ? (Just kidding)

No factual basis other than moment through this season albeit not recently  you got the impression our wins were through grit rather than quality. Not something I’d ever really associated with LJ.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Says it all, doesn't it.

We're a midtable side that can usually beat the weakest in the second tier, but are outclassed by multiple clubs at the top.

More and more people on this forum are commenting about the regime and structure holding us back. Well be careful what you wish for because I wouldn't want to be like Sheff wed or Forest. Throwing millions at it for barely a sniff at the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. And I guess they make sure every player is of a certain type to suit how they play. A big problem for us was LJ wanting different clubs in the bag. I can't imagine Brentford would ever be interested in a Diedhiou type striker for example.

They might do but they’d know exactly how they were going to use him and be sure to sell him at the right time. With Diedhiou (also see Wells) I feel like we’ve bought him because he's a good striker but haven’t done enough to maximise his strengths. Brentford seem to just plan better in every area.

25 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Why did it? They had 2 very lucky goals and we  had a couple of chances we didn’t take 

not saying they didn’t deserve to win as they are a good side but don’t really feel they deserved to beat us by much more than that 

Because they controlled it mostly - especially 2nd half. Once it was 3-1 they slowed right down. 3-1 was fair I think. Definitely positives in there but we were a way off them.

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

More and more people on this forum are commenting about the regime and structure holding us back. Well be careful what you wish for because I wouldn't want to be like Sheff wed or Forest. Throwing millions at it for barely a sniff at the playoffs.

I'd be surprised if either goes down and for both the only way is - slowly - up.

If we have another season with "Deano" I wouldn't rule out us being a club with "barely a sniff of the play-offs" despite a fairly hefty investment prior to this season.

Just now, Better Red said:

Better Managers

Better Recruitment 

Better Players

Its strange though how since their promotion from league 1 , they have continued this season after season. Not even sure how many times they have made the champ playoffs. 3 or 4? 

I thought they would become a Peterborough and have their spell in championship then drop but make profits using the money ball project.

Very impressive.....Anyway my knees are hurting.

11 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

To be honest I think LJ was tactically better but lacked the team spirit aspect the DH brings.

Not sure about that.  I think LJ is just brighter than DH.

What boils my piss with both of them is the negative attitude.  I can tell you exactly the last time I saw a City midfielder run past our forwards.

It was HNM on his debut.  He sprinted 60 yards and was unlucky to miss a goal with a diving header.

Wow, I thought.  At long last, the anti-Pack. Good times.

No midfielder, including HNM, has sprinted 60 yards since.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Subject to fitness etc, same side Saturday except Paterson for Edwards, Wells for Diedhiou and if fit, Lansbury for Bakinson or Nagy?

If Rowe is fit, that would also be welcome.

Sky said Rowe’s out for up to two months. 

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Hoskins and Hadwin are both embarrassing 

never ask what the fans really want to hear. Why aren’t we anywhere near Brentford. What are the coaches actually drilling into the players (2nd worst on shots against) (twice the amount of games where we’ve had fewer than 4 shots compared to other teams.) why is our recruitment so bad. It’s a joke 

Brentford clearly the better side at the moment but I thought there was no lack of effort by our players. Everyone saying we should be where Brentford are, don't you think 95% of the others teams in the championship think the same, some far bigger than us or Brentford? They have just got things right at the moment. Bigger teams like Derby, Birmingham,  Forest all near the bottom, all with bigger wage bills must be saying why are we miles behind!!

32 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Not really. The first three of those clubs haven't had any investment whatsover in recent years 

O.K maybe a bad choice of clubs. Hull, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth. My point is clubs have good times and bad. Brentford are undoubtedly on the up but so were Hull when they beat us in the play off final. If you had said to one of their fans walking out of Wembley that day how thing would have changed, I doubt they would believe you. That’s the way football is. 

Archived