IGNORED

Better but so jealous....

TomThumb84

Well at least we had a go, first half I thought we got our game plan right. Second half never got going.

Predictably our attacking “throw the kitchen sink” substitution tactic when behind actually threw all our shape out of the window as it always does.

Wells for Fam

Palmer for Edwards

That was what we needed at 2-1 down on the hour.

Now, I am jealous of Brentford. Their front 3 of Toney, Fosu and Canos caused all the damage and cost less than Diedhiou, Wells and Palmer, 2 of those 3 considered not right to start tonight. Whilst they have all their own attributes our front 3 was a guy who is out of contract in 4 months, a 19 year old who started the season at Grimsby Town on loan, and a great prospect but who has not scored a league goal for us yet.

Brentford have a great recruitment strategy, pick a system and sign players for it and looked a class above us tonight.

Recruitment was the main difference tonight and our inability to scout, sign players and have any clue how to play them together and get a tune out of them.

Cannot fault effort tonight, just came up against a much better - on the up - driven outfit.

3 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Well at least we had a go, first half I thought we got our game plan right. Second half never got going.

Predictably our attacking “throw the kitchen sink” substitution tactic when behind actually threw all our shape out of the window as it always does.

Wells for Fam

Palmer for Edwards

Now, I am jealous of Brentford. Their front 3 of Toney, Fosu and Canos caused all the damage and cost less than Diedhiou, Wells and Palmer, 2 of those 3 considered not right to start tonight. Whilst they have all their own attributes our front 3 was a guy who is out of contract in 4 months, a 19 year old who started the season at Grimsby Town on loan, and a great prospect but who has not scored a league goal for us yet.

Brentford have a great recruitment strategy, pick a system and sign players for it and looked a class above us tonight.

Recruitment was the main difference tonight and our inability to scout, sign players and have any clue how to play them together and get a tune out of them.

Cannot fault effort tonight, just came up against a much better - on the up - driven outfit.

And coaching. 

Out thought and out fought, again.

9 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Have a look at how Brentford pressed the ball from the front.

Then compare it to Bristol City.

Effort is a skill.  A skill Brentford had more of.  

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Have a look at how Brentford pressed the ball from the front.

Then compare it to Bristol City.

Effort is a skill.  A skill Brentford had more of.  

Good point: guess that comes down to all those hours on the pitch and tactics boards with Simpson and Downing.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Brentford are unbelievably good. 

Ivan Toney is by far the best striker at this level. He looked so good for Peterborough I thought he might even be worth a prem team signing. He certainly looks good enough for that level from that performance. Mawson bounced off him at one point. Literally got everything, strong, quick, great in the air and his touch is superb. The ball sticks to him. And of course scores all kinds of goals. Fantastic.

I'm hoping Semenyo becomes that kind of player through the middle in the future.

We needed to be able to press them at 2-1 like you say. And Wells, Palmer, Paterson coming on for Diedhiou, Edwards and Massengo would have been the right move.

They are a very good side but how, when, and why did they get so much better than us?

Watkins and Benrahma get sold for an unbelievable profit and its like Brentford have just regenerated effortlessly.

We sell Webster, Reid, Brownhill for a profit, and our reinvestment feels invisible.

We start the night with a kid (who I like by the way), who we loaned to Grimsby this season,  and no place for Wells (£5m+), or Kasey Palmer (£4m).

Our progression, continuous improvement and continuity is all over the place and that I am afraid surely comes down to how and who we recruit.

21 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Wells for Fam

Palmer for Edwards

Brentford have clearly got an excellent recruitment strategy aligned with a way of playing. The coaches and recruitment team are clearly on the same page. 

we have Mark Ashton and his system aligned with inexperienced yes men. It’s a farce really.

6 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

The sad thing is the result makes the teams look closer than they are.

The reality is that even with our best 11 (whether or not Lansbury ever makes this) I fear we are still well short of the power, skill and most sadly of all, potential they have.

Not sure why that is sad, but anyway Brentford are undoubtedly an outstanding team who would probably be doing better in the Prem than West Brom or Fulham, if they’d gone up.  Interesting comment about our best 11.  What would that be?  Something like:

Bentley

Kalas Mawson Baker

Sessegnon Williams Walsh Dasilva

Palmer (or Weimann)

Diedhiou Wells

I agree it would interesting to see what a line-up like that could have done.

I don’t know how SL can watch us play Brentford season after season and not consider if we are doing things the right way. They are quite literally everything we think we are. Look at the way they spend their £mms brought in by developing players. The wheel keeps turning.

Sell Watkins and bring in Toney who will probably go for similar money. We sell Brownhill and bring in Wells who we play left wing. 

We spent the same on a loan fee for Ryan Kent as they did for Fosu. MOTM by a mile tonight.  

Saturday is a very, very big game for Holden. Lose that and we are staring at Watford and Reading next two games...

1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

They are a very good side but how, when, and why did they get so much better than us?

Watkins and Benrahma get sold for an unbelievable profit and its like Brentford have just regenerated effortlessly.

We sell Webster, Reid, Brownhill for a profit, and our reinvestment feels invisible.

We start the night with a kid (who I like by the way), who we loaned to Grimsby this season,  and no place for Wells (£5m+), or Kasey Palmer (£4m).

Our progression, continuous improvement and continuity is all over the place and that I am afraid surely comes down to how and who we recruit.

Without having a playing model to recruit to continuity will be hard to achieve.

11 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Good point: guess that comes down to all those hours on the pitch and tactics boards with Simpson and Downing.

Or recruiting players where athletic ability (work rate) is a key skill of their playing model. 

The recruitment at the club surely needs addressing some of the gambles and investment have not paid off. Eliasson left for peanuts, not sure what's going on with Fam Smith Szmodics Morrell deemed not good enough. We are now signing golden oldies Wells Martin Lansbury players who have had there day.

We have some exciting young players but still very raw. Our scouting network needs to be overhauled look at Brentfords blueprint.

Sadly I see Bents Kalas as collateral to be sold to balance the books.

And then where do we go from there?

Has too much money been wasted on poor signings in the past which has now left Steve and Jon reluctant to release ample funds to compete in the championship.

A few comments born of frustration.

I have read a few comments (and I think I have caught myself saying this) that we are miles behind Brentford.

This conveys a point that we are on the same path, road or track and that over time we will get to where they are.

I think tonight really underlines that this point isn’t really accurate; at least in my view. We aren’t behind Brentford at all; we are on a completely different trajectory. 

Difficult to argue with any of the above points but I would say Brentford are definitely the exception to the rule and as frustrating as it is for us seeing them put our sustainability model to better use imagine being Forest, Derby, Wednesday or even Birmingham having blown far more than we have over the years with infinitely more resources and all be hovering around the bottom 3.

I mean the funny thing about all this is that Brentford still have failed to get promoted. I agree they have came close still not cigar. As I said previously we don't know how much they are actually spending on wages etc. They managed to take Leeds best centre half at the time and he must have been on decent wages there.

Just now, Dolman_Stand said:

Difficult to argue with any of the above points but I would say Brentford are definitely the exception to the rule and as frustrating as it is for us seeing them put our sustainability model to better use imagine being Forest, Derby, Wednesday or even Birmingham having blown far more than we have over the years with infinitely more resources and all be hovering around the bottom 3.

Its a fair point but the clubs you have quoted have had some bonkers owners making suicidal financial decisions. We don’t.

We aspire to be like Brentford, but lack the conviction to face the main things holding us back and addressing them, namely recruitment, allocation of responsibility and clarity and transparency of ambition.

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I mean the funny thing about all this is that Brentford still have failed to get promoted. I agree they have came close still not cigar. As I said previously we don't know how much they are actually spending on wages etc. They managed to take Leeds best centre half at the time and he must have been on decent wages there.

May not have got promoted but coming very close and pretty good to watch aren’t they? 

Archived