IGNORED

Owura Edwards

Prinny

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Probably best as an impact sub at the moment. Clearly got a lot of potential. Was a brave move by Holden. Should have come off early 2nd half for me. 

I was thinking in the 1st half that half time would kill him off.   Thought they were very niaive keeping him on more than 5 minutes and it cost us.  

I thought he was ok but raw. Decision making as noted needs to improve but that is expected - mindful that this is in the light of a game against the divisions best team.

Two specific points:

- OE has a very “open” stance when on the ball. It’s good to have that as it enables moving the ball quickly, but when you don’t move the ball quickly, it’s easy to nip the ball away on the blind side. Happened a couple of times and leads into not having experience at this level where he doesn’t have time

- Whether enthusiasm or otherwise, I think he may leave the foot in. There was one where he was racing against two defenders and brought one down - it wasn’t momentum that did it, he went for it. Again, experience - will refine that..

6 hours ago, The Bard said:

I was thinking in the 1st half that half time would kill him off.   Thought they were very niaive keeping him on more than 5 minutes and it cost us.  

Agreed. If he brings on Pato after 55 minutes we MIGHT have got something out of that game. Edwards was so clearly flagging and I don't blame him for that. He just couldn't make the ball stick after half time in that period that culminated in the killer goal BUT, overall, did alright for a debut against a bloody impressive side at this level and the frustration for me was that Holden's inexperience seemed to shine through again where we wait until the game is gone before making the change.

I listened to Fosu and I listened to Frank and it's clear that we properly competed with Brentford in that first half (despite what the more informed "sages" on here would have you believe, i.e. deliberately playing in first gear and all that shit because they were embarrassingly wrong about the 7-0 scoreline) but once they got it back to 1-1 and could make their adjustments at half time they felt there would only be one outcome. I just feel that Holden gave them an initial push down the road by failing to be decisive enough with Edwards.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can offer us better tactical balance though. Wells is wasted on the left, who else are you referring to?

Palmer is not great in wider areas let's say (Palmer as '1' behind say Semenyo and Wells as a partnership might be one route), Paterson is just coming back after a long layoff.

I do find tactics interesting and the tactical analysis that @Davefevs does is really informative BUT there are occasions when you have to throw intricate tactics out of the window and make the game very simple, Saturday being the most prime example of all. I know that Holden was furious with the state of the pitch so when you are playing on a pudding, keep things simple, play it out wide where there is at least some grass, lump the bloody ball in the box and challenge for it. Yes, it's Non-League but you are playing on a Non League cabbage patch of a pitch so nothing more complicated than that is needed OR POSSIBLE for that matter. However, who do we have in wide areas that could have got those balls into the box?

Gary O'Neill was on the money last night when he said "whenever I watch Bristol City they never stretch teams and are always looking to play eye of the needle passes down the middle of the pitch". Our lack of genuine Wingers, as an option if nothing else, is killing us. Clearly the Coaching School attended by both Johnson and Holden believes that Wingers are outdated - well if that's the case and watching what we play most weeks you can stick your "progressive" football right where the sun don't shine!!

I think he did what was asked of him. Holden no doubt said “run at them” and that’s what he tried to do. 
A lot of what he tried didn’t come off but at least he tried. And he won the free kick which put us ahead. 
I’d persevere with him. Give him as much exposure as possible the rest of this season (perfect opportunity - we aren’t going up nor down, so nothing to lose). 

I liked how he put Daalsgard on his backside and then walked off without an apology. Nice. Got some edge and competitive spirit. 

We have been crying out for a player that is willing to run at a defence, we get one and after one game already stated as not good enough and should get rid? 

Ok he did lost the ball a few times when running at his man but that’s expected, he might not be the strongest player but got stuck in and showed passion a lot more then others in the team. People saying his is not good enough for championship level, if you noticed last night Brentford ended up putting 2 men of him toward the end of the first half this is the problem we have were player slated for attacking play but then moan when we have no threat going forward. 

prime example is Palmer slated for losing possession when running at players but if he got past his man every time then he wouldn’t be playing for us, and when it work they love him, next minute losses possession he’s a liability. 

49 minutes ago, Moore moore moore said:

We have been crying out for a player that is willing to run at a defence, we get one and after one game already stated as not good enough and should get rid? 

Ok he did lost the ball a few times when running at his man but that’s expected, he might not be the strongest player but got stuck in and showed passion a lot more then others in the team. People saying his is not good enough for championship level, if you noticed last night Brentford ended up putting 2 men of him toward the end of the first half this is the problem we have were player slated for attacking play but then moan when we have no threat going forward. 

prime example is Palmer slated for losing possession when running at players but if he got past his man every time then he wouldn’t be playing for us, and when it work they love him, next minute losses possession he’s a liability. 

I don't have a problem with Palmer when managed correctly. It was right to leave him out of the starting XI last night because you can't be a man down in midfield against Brentford at the best of times so as long as he continues to be managed correctly he will win us points because he can make the difference at times. He will also be incredibly frustrating and that is where the management comes in............knowing when to drag him off for the benefit of the team without making it look like he's the fall guy.

Too early to judge, but plenty of positives. The big positive from this season is the younger players getting opportunities, and mostly doing well. A bit of patience over the next 18 months and we’ll have the foundations of a strong side, which should allow well targeted spending on quality in the key areas. 

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Only comment i have got on his performance is even in the first half, only making short runs he was breathing heavy. So maybe needs more work on his strength and conditioning. 

It's not that he isn't fit it's just the speed that the game is played at that level compared to Under 23's. It's chalk and cheese. If he's good enough, and there are positive signs there, he will get used to that quickly enough.

I see lots of comments about him maybe needing a league 1 loan next season. 
Well, how about, with 19 games left THIS season, and basically with nothing to play for, we give him as many starts as we can NOW. 

No need for a L1 loan next year if we’ve given him 20 championship starts this season and he’s on the learning curve with us. Never know, he might then be more ready to be in our matchday squad next season rather than someone else’s. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I see lots of comments about him maybe needing a league 1 loan next season. 
Well, how about, with 19 games left THIS season, and basically with nothing to play for, we give him as many starts as we can NOW. 

No need for a L1 loan next year if we’ve given him 20 championship starts this season and he’s on the learning curve with us. Never know, he might then be more ready to be in our matchday squad next season rather than someone else’s. 

I’d play as many of these kids as possible now - as you say give them some exposure to the game at this level 

Just now, Rob k said:

I’d play as many of these kids as possible now - as you say give them some exposure to the game at this level 

I think Dean would get slaughtered for doing it while we're still 3 points off the play offs, while many people say 'we're not making it' etc if we did it while that close in terms of points people would point to it as a sign of giving up and not wanting it.

Also from Dean's perspective he's really got 1 season to make an impact to show what he can do, if we were to slide away to mid table playing kids as opposed to finish 9th (assuming we hold our position) going about things how we are now it may bring questions about his position 

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I'd love to see a front three of Owura, Semenyo and Janneh. That would be interesting to watch.

Bell would be the interesting one for me, not sure you can play Famara as a lone forward with 2 out and out wide players as they seemed to be yesterday. When Wells/Semenyo we coming inside and staying narrow then yes he has some assistance, but it was too easy for Brentford to play around Diedhiou on his own and he either lacked the work rate or endurance out of possession. Bell covers ground quickly so could be better suited to the role. I mean I'd take Wells in that central position but if we're talking an academy front 3.... (waiting for @Harry's note of irritation referring it to an academy front 3 :whistle2: )

Like a school kid playing with the big boys. Confident and direct but no end product and making wrong decisions. Think he would look better on the right.

Certainly not ready to be picked above Palmer or Wells.

14 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I'd love to see a front three of Owura, Semenyo and Janneh. That would be interesting to watch.

Sure fire way to drag us into a relegation scrap.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I think he did what was asked of him. Holden no doubt said “run at them” and that’s what he tried to do. 
A lot of what he tried didn’t come off but at least he tried. And he won the free kick which put us ahead. 
I’d persevere with him. Give him as much exposure as possible the rest of this season (perfect opportunity - we aren’t going up nor down, so nothing to lose). 

I liked how he put Daalsgard on his backside and then walked off without an apology. Nice. Got some edge and competitive spirit. 

He'll have learnt a lot in that game, ridiculous that some are writing him off already but then many have been writing off Massengo (who had an excellent game last night) and he's actually younger than Owura.

8 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I do find tactics interesting and the tactical analysis that @Davefevs does is really informative BUT there are occasions when you have to throw intricate tactics out of the window and make the game very simple, Saturday being the most prime example of all. I know that Holden was furious with the state of the pitch so when you are playing on a pudding, keep things simple, play it out wide where there is at least some grass, lump the bloody ball in the box and challenge for it. Yes, it's Non-League but you are playing on a Non League cabbage patch of a pitch so nothing more complicated than that is needed OR POSSIBLE for that matter. However, who do we have in wide areas that could have got those balls into the box?

Gary O'Neill was on the money last night when he said "whenever I watch Bristol City they never stretch teams and are always looking to play eye of the needle passes down the middle of the pitch". Our lack of genuine Wingers, as an option if nothing else, is killing us. Clearly the Coaching School attended by both Johnson and Holden believes that Wingers are outdated - well if that's the case and watching what we play most weeks you can stick your "progressive" football right where the sun don't shine!!

Think I’m a big advocate of “tippy-tally football isn’t always exciting”, some of it is very boring imho....and I’m all in favour of playing more direct.  In many of my posts I talk about bypassing the press, playing channels etc.

Saturday was a classic example of “let’s play on the wings”, without thinking about how you achieve that, both from your own patterns, as you transition with the ball, and how you transition without the ball.  To my mind it looked as if Palmer and Semenyo were told to stay wide....but nobody had told the team how to get the ball to them, nor what those two wer3 meant to do when we lost it.

Raw but lots to like. I hope he stays around the 1st team squad and trains with a championship team, like a championship player. Give him minutes while understanding he is raw and will make mistakes. Easier to do that with a winger/attacker than a CB. 

20 hours ago, Kibs said:

I wouldn’t agree he didn’t look close to ready.

I thought it was nice to see someone actually face up the full backs and he definitely has pace for me. a couple of times they were having to double up.

Really tough game to come into. Tried too hard to impress perhaps and decision making will obviously improve but plenty to like.

Was also impressed by his defensive discipline. Done himself no harm at all.

I agree it was refreshing to actually see a wide man trying to go past his full back and take him on granted it didnt always come off but rather than see the stale system of attacking fullbacks that offer no threat what so ever it was a good effort.

Can see there is potential, however no where near ready for the first team. To many bad decisions tonight with final ball etc can’t see him starting again sat although I think I should say... he shouldn’t start sat, he is a impact player as he learns!! Palmer has to start in his place. 

Archived