IGNORED

Massengo

Kibs

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Why are a club like us paying significant sums of money for "kids" and then having to offer them up for loan 18 months later?

Because we would not be anywhere near signing a potentially top player when he’s already ‘ formed ‘ .

A good youngster has ‘ growth ‘ and the gamble is less than signing a Wells or Martin who aren’t going to improve.

Why loan them out ?

It is for their education and to get game time obviously.

We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes and, whilst it is hard sometimes, we need to have faith in the professionals who run the club especially when they make a decision which seems illogical to us laymen. 

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Because we would not be anywhere near signing a potentially top player when he’s already ‘ formed ‘ .

A good youngster has ‘ growth ‘ and the gamble is less than signing a Wells or Martin who aren’t going to improve.

Why loan them out ?

It is for their education and to get game time obviously.

We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes and, whilst it is hard sometimes, we need to have faith in the professionals who run the club especially when they make a decision which seems illogical to us laymen. 

In normal circumstances I couldn't agree more and I do understand the answers you have given me without needing to be told. But you aren't grasping my point on this particular transfer I don't think? Once a club like us pays significant sums of money on a young player they simply have to be better than "loan him out to get experience" standard. It doesn't make sense in view of the size of club we are and where that money could have been spent given the "apparent" aims of the Owner (which I question hence inverted commas). If Massengo was going to be a £100m player Monaco wouldn't have let him go in the first place. If he's got the potential to be a £25-£30m player then he shouldn't need to be loaned elsewhere, he should be able to make it with our first team just like the £13m player Lloyd Kelly did.

Btw last night showed that when played correctly the penny seems to have dropped and he really doesn't need a loan anywhere.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Yes, we don't know for sure but it certainly wouldn't surprise you.

Yet again, a younger player getting better as he goes along seems to totally shock people who make snap judgements like "Semenyo is a League 2 player", "Massengo will never be good enough", "Onawura was out of his depth".............probably the same posters who thought we would concede 10 last night.

Onawura did look a little out of his depth, doesn’t mean he can’t get better. The two things aren’t mutually exclusive ?‍♂️ 

25 minutes ago, SedRA said:

Onawura did look a little out of his depth, doesn’t mean he can’t get better. The two things aren’t mutually exclusive ?‍♂️ 

I'm sure he will get better but so many on here would have now made a snap judgement of the kid, on 65 minutes, just like they have with Bakinson, Massengo, Semenyo and Vyner and will deem him to be not good enough and that's the end of it. They will tell you that it doesn't take a number of games for them with their expert football knowledge to judge a player, just like they did with Bakinson, Massengo, Semenyo and Vyner.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

In normal circumstances I couldn't agree more and I do understand the answers you have given me without needing to be told. But you aren't grasping my point on this particular transfer I don't think? Once a club like us pays significant sums of money on a young player they simply have to be better than "loan him out to get experience" standard. It doesn't make sense in view of the size of club we are and where that money could have been spent given the "apparent" aims of the Owner (which I question hence inverted commas). If Massengo was going to be a £100m player Monaco wouldn't have let him go in the first place. If he's got the potential to be a £25-£30m player then he shouldn't need to be loaned elsewhere, he should be able to make it with our first team just like the £13m player Lloyd Kelly did.

Btw last night showed that when played correctly the penny seems to have dropped and he really doesn't need a loan anywhere.

It is surprising he came here. When we paid £2m for him, he was wanted by a fair few European clubs, his potential would have been well known. The only reason he came to us was he wanted to play and was told he would, that's also the reason he left.
The fee seems to cause arguments, I've heard many times it was £2m and not 7 or 8.
When you think we spent £1m on Eisa (never given a chance) , £2.5 on Engval (never given a chance) is it really a surprise we spent money on a youngster very highly rated through Europe. He was 18 and slight , he needed to build up/baulk up, which he's done. He was happy with the game time when he first came, he was happy here and his family are here. I think all he needed was game time, first few games this season he was very, very rusty . Few games and he's started to show what he can do, if Holden continues to give him a chance.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Amen brother

5 hours ago, Harry said:

That was his best game for us so far. 

We need to give him a run of games. Let him keep learning. Allow him to make mistakes in the knowledge that he’s not gonna disappear from the squad the next week! 

Perfect opportunity to do so. We aren’t going up and we aren’t going down. Let some of the younger prospects pick up some vital experience. If we end up finishing 16th, so what. 

Totally agree (unsurprisingly!)

Problem is, when the squad boasts A fit Williams, Lansbury and Paterson, I doubt Massengo gets a look in, which would annoy me.

4 hours ago, Gazred said:

I'll look forward to the chap on twitter who does highlight reels of our players. His general play was really good but some of those bits of skill were superb.

You could do a showreel from just that one game! 

Can I also add that with Semenyo and Massengo offering such poetry to our team, could we loan Joel Mumbongo from Burnley to spearhead the attack?

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Totally agree (unsurprisingly!)

Problem is, when the squad boasts A fit Williams, Lansbury and Paterson, I doubt Massengo gets a look in, which would annoy me.

Don't know about that, I suppose we'll have to see if he starts the next game after that performance. Those players have to go and earn a spot now, if HNM is consistent then that'll be very difficult.

I remember watching his first game for us. Playing towards the South Stand, where I was sitting, he picked up a ball in the centre circle and sent an accurate, perfectly weighted pass out to the right touchline (to Weimann I think). He then went forward at pace to head the resultant cross just wide. For me, at that age, shows there is a good player in there that just needs bringing out.  So far we have failed miserably at that.

My understanding of transfer day is he had offers from a few clubs, a couple of them, probably Birmingham being one, wanted him on loan until the end of the season with the opportunity to buy built into the deal.

Han-Noah turned them down as he loves living in Bristol and it’s a project he’s started and wants to finish. 

He is a very talented, hard working and determined individual and at only 19 we might not be seeing the best of him for years yet. Exciting times I think.

10 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Indeed.

A player who was signed to continue his development in the first team squad, getting minutes, learning the Championship.  He wasn’t signed to go out on loan. He wasn’t signed to get up to speed in the u23s This is what we were told upon signing, it’s not me guessing at his development plan.

To find out 18 months later we’ve offered him on loan, may we’ll have been the right thing (not imho but I don’t count), but it tells us if that was the case they got the plan very, very wrong.  And again I’d lay this back at inbound recruitment and the play the club put in place once signed.  Again, this isn’t a “personal dig” at MA, it’s a criticism of that team, that department, that encompasses many people, including the former head-coach and then what happened once he arrived.

His performance last night was on a par with Derby away last season when he was outstanding!

Perhaps this was a reaction to us “offering” him to Brum on loan 48 hours earlier? If it was, fair play Han Noah - long may it continue.....?

If he’s managed properly and develops as he could, he should be our next big money transfer!

39 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

His performance last night was on a par with Derby away last season when he was outstanding!

Perhaps this was a reaction to us “offering” him to Brum on loan 48 hours earlier? If it was, fair play Han Noah - long may it continue.....?

If he’s managed properly and develops as he could, he should be our next big money transfer!

Swansea was his best game last season imho.

I’m not one to defend Ashton and his team but some of the stick they’re getting over this “loan” story seems a tad unjust.

It’s the transfer window, many clubs will be looking at who isn’t featuring in other clubs first teams. A few clubs enquired about loaning HNM, I think it would be unfair for the club to not tell him. 
When he was told he stated he loves living in Bristol and was happy to continue the good work he’d been doing on the training ground and fight for his place.

Some people seem to think we were asking clubs if they’d want to take him but I think it was more other clubs asking

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.

A player who was signed to continue his development in the first team squad, getting minutes, learning the Championship.  He wasn’t signed to go out on loan. He wasn’t signed to get up to speed in the u23s This is what we were told upon signing, it’s not me guessing at his development plan.

To find out 18 months later we’ve offered him on loan, may we’ll have been the right thing (not imho but I don’t count), but it tells us if that was the case they got the plan very, very wrong.  And again I’d lay this back at inbound recruitment and the play the club put in place once signed.  Again, this isn’t a “personal dig” at MA, it’s a criticism of that team, that department, that encompasses many people, including the former head-coach and then what happened once he arrived.

I don't believe he was offered for loan, just a bit of paper talk imo.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Archived