IGNORED

Am I alone..?

PFree

To position this, I’ve been a ST holder for towards three decades, that said purchasing one for the last couple of seasons has been out of loyalty to my team and club, rather than me looking forward to the football and going to the Gate.

I enjoyed our time under SC but I have to say that since then, perhaps with the exception of the two Manchester games in the FA Cup, I haven’t enjoyed anything about the club. I’m not sure why but I feel no part of it anymore.

It’s a sad thing to say but the only positive for me this season is that I haven’t spent a penny following City, I’ve only watched when we are on Sky or when Robins TV has been free.

I sincerely hope that DH succeeds as he seems a really genuine, passionate football man but, I have to say that to the best of my knowledge, no Assistant has ever really progressed a club further following a Managers dismissal - queue all the correction emails ?.

Finally, and I understand the current financial constraints, I haven’t really seen any drive from the club for many years, when was the last time we signed a player that to you represented a wow feeling?!

I’m not being negative, it’s realism I’m afraid, and I sincerely hope we turn it around one day soon. The South West offers a massive commercial opportunity as there is no competition down here at all, one that if sustained could see us become a stable Premiership side, it really is possible as much smaller clubs have achieved it, but, do we really want it?

Agree with everything the OP says. Would also add that I think the players are much less easy to identify with these days. Time was, with the likes of Murray, Tinnion, Carey, Bell etc. you felt more of a connection. There seemed to be fewer players then and they seemed to stay for a long time - giving time to feel a connection. Now we have so many players, and they seem to be here today and gone tomorrow. Connection with modern football seems much more difficult now. I haven't done the research on this - just how it seems to me, so could easily be bowlocks.

I don't think you are alone. The club has to remember that people won't just turn up no matter what. They have to be entertained. There has to be someone that you get excited about when they get on the ball. We are ultra boring to watch and have been for a long time. The club must address this with some urgency.

A bit of excitement and it will all feel a bit different. 

Just now, Kingswood Robin said:

I don't think you are alone. The club has to remember that people won't just turn up no matter what. They have to be entertained. There has to be someone that you get excited about when they get on the ball. We are ultra boring to watch and have been for a long time. The club must address this with some urgency.

A bit of excitement and it will all feel a bit different. 

It’s more than that to a lot of people though. It was the feeling during the game for the east end lot making a load of noise and having some banter with the away fans and the lads you know. Now we’re pushed out of the way with stewards all around us like we are the bruise of the club, trying to hide us away in the corner.

It was the feel of getting to the pub, walking to the ground having a laugh, hearing those crappy tinny speakers around the outside of the ground and then enjoying a game of football. In these times I couldn’t have cared too much if we lost as long as we grafted and put in the effort. Now it seems very much the opposite, we scrape wins here and there but it is dreadful to watch and the fun of football has been sucked away.

I can now see how FC United of Manchester was formed...

No, you are far from alone, I agree with everything in the post, the only difference is that I have held a ST for approaching five decades.

In a couple of other threads I have stated we need to have even more patience as the whole Bristol Sport project is not complete yet.  When all of the development work is complete and that includes the training ground and the stars are in total alignment, my view is that then the football element simply has to step up.

Watching Brentford though tonight has made me doubt my faith, will we really be playing like they did in the not too distant future.

12 minutes ago, sadlybrokered said:

It’s more than that to a lot of people though. It was the feeling during the game for the east end lot making a load of noise and having some banter with the away fans and the lads you know. Now we’re pushed out of the way with stewards all around us like we are the bruise of the club, trying to hide us away in the corner.

It was the feel of getting to the pub, walking to the ground having a laugh, hearing those crappy tinny speakers around the outside of the ground and then enjoying a game of football. In these times I couldn’t have cared too much if we lost as long as we grafted and put in the effort. Now it seems very much the opposite, we scrape wins here and there but it is dreadful to watch and the fun of football has been sucked away.

I can now see how FC United of Manchester was formed...

I know what you mean. A picture in the old Ashton Gate pictures thread reminded me of the combination of excitement and nerves I felt as I approached the ground, especially for the Rovers matches.

I'm missing watching my sons u11s team more than I'm missing Ashton Gate. More entertaining and you can see them getting better

Sadly, I am now at the point that I have never felt further away from the club. I'm genuinely conflicted on whether to renew my season ticket - no idea when we will return to the gate and have a feeling that we are keen to provide a vision and aspiration but lack the minerals to invest to get there.

Not wanting to be a doom monger.....just how I feel 

45 minutes ago, PFree said:

To position this, I’ve been a ST holder for towards three decades, that said purchasing one for the last couple of seasons has been out of loyalty to my team and club, rather than me looking forward to the football and going to the Gate.

I enjoyed our time under SC but I have to say that since then, perhaps with the exception of the two Manchester games in the FA Cup, I haven’t enjoyed anything about the club. I’m not sure why but I feel no part of it anymore.

It’s a sad thing to say but the only positive for me this season is that I haven’t spent a penny following City, I’ve only watched when we are on Sky or when Robins TV has been free.

I sincerely hope that DH succeeds as he seems a really genuine, passionate football man but, I have to say that to the best of my knowledge, no Assistant has ever really progressed a club further following a Managers dismissal - queue all the correction emails ?.

Finally, and I understand the current financial constraints, I haven’t really seen any drive from the club for many years, when was the last time we signed a player that to you represented a wow feeling?!

I’m not being negative, it’s realism I’m afraid, and I sincerely hope we turn it around one day soon. The South West offers a massive commercial opportunity as there is no competition down here at all, one that if sustained could see us become a stable Premiership side, it really is possible as much smaller clubs have achieved it, but, do we really want it?

What was it that hound so much more inspiring during the Osman, 2nd Joe Jordan, Lenartson, Pulis, McInnes days...? 

I feel the same. 40 years watching and it’s been generally awful since SC went. On the pitch dull, over complicated, lacking a plan, pattern, consistency. Off the pitch a bland corporate business that didn’t engage with its customers. 
it feels like we’re playing at being a big club... but don’t really know what we’re doing. 
We need a leader and first team with some character to breath life into things. A biting challenge and blood and thunder performance wouldn’t go a miss.....

4 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

I feel the same.  Fan for over 35 years and the club just doesn’t seem to value it’s loyal fans anymore.  So many examples of poor communication under Ashton’s tenure.  

Why blame the monkey instead of the organ grinder?

4 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I feel the same. 40 years watching and it’s been generally awful since SC went. On the pitch dull, over complicated, lacking a plan, pattern, consistency. Off the pitch a bland corporate business that didn’t engage with its customers. 
it feels like we’re playing at being a big club... but don’t really know what we’re doing. 
We need a leader and first team with some character to breath life into things. A biting challenge and blood and thunder performance wouldn’t go a miss.....

That's it...in a nutshell. 

7 hours ago, PFree said:

Brillaint post and very thought provoking. I have been watching the city for 45 years now through good bad and rubbish. And I do agree the passion seems to have gone.. But then has not the whole set up of football changed?   The prime directive now is profit, football is run as a business not an entertainment. I find watching live games now sterile, no passion, aderaline gone. And I agree the Manchester cup games brillaint loved it. But then I feel it not just with the city. The whole football dynamic of live what will happen next has gone. Its all regimented controlled sanitised. 

This pandemic crisis will hopefully make clubs relise who comes first? And that's the fans. We are the clubs heart. And any club needs a vibrant beating heart. Entertainment, value (in a cynical money centred industry) and show us the passion on the pitch that is each supporters heart. 

Will it happen?  I will be surprised if it does. but I live in hope 

COYR 

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What was it that hound so much more inspiring during the Osman, 2nd Joe Jordan, Lenartson, Pulis, McInnes days...? 

Maybe the poster has finally had his fill of mediocrity? I will be renewing my season ticket but get real, the football we play is generally ******* shite as was the last two and a half seasons of the Bullshitters reign.

7 hours ago, RedNachos said:

This club needs a change of direction, for loyal fans like you and the rest of the people on here. 

Not going to happen; This is the SL/Ashton way, words without substance. To quell the natives.

Agree with the original poster.

There are many times over the last five years where I have ridden down a freezing cold motorway after another gutless performance honestly believing that I have put more effort in to getting to and from the game than the players have in that game.

Years ago I felt like a supporter now I just feel like a number.

46 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I feel as passionate about the club as ever. And have enjoyed chasing play offs the last 4 seasons. I’d support us in the conference if that’s where we found ourselves.

And so would I, having stood up and cheered backs to the wall draws in the Terry Cooper era.

I still feel as passionate about the club as ever, this was not what I was trying to convey in my earlier response.  When the full project is complete I remain “convinced” there will be exciting times on a consistent basis again, what I’m grappling with is whether “convinced” is the right word, I just don’t want “hopeful” or “that at some time” to creep in.

8 hours ago, PFree said:

Good Post

I was having this conversation yesterday with a friend and ultimately i think it’s because the football has become boring, the atmosphere is boring (when we’re allowed in) and the whole match day experience has changed.

You say about players being signed that don’t excite, Nakhi Wells should have, yet comes here and is played on the wing and that in a nutshell for me what is all wrong about the playing side of this club, We bring these players to the club who we should be excited about and don’t ever play to their strengths, there is no style or structure to our play and it shows. 

We need to evaluate where we are, rethink our recruitment strategy and buy players who will fit in to a system not just because they are available. 

Much of this is due to the COVID situation, it has changed pretty much all of our lives for the worse, and football is no exception.

When we can all get back down the Gate things will improve I have no doubt, there is no doubt in my mind that the lack of fans at games has affected the way teams play and the overall match experience is now entirely different for the players, many of whom thrive on the atmosphere that fans provide, they are also only human and have found their routines both for training and playing greatly disrupted.

The disconnection with the club is entirely understandable given that we can’t attend matches, it’s a bit like having emigrated and knowing you can only watch on TV or listen on the radio, better times are just around the corner and when they arrive we all have a lot of pent up frustration to expend cheering the lads on.

I hope the club take on board the feelings being shown on social media etc and really work to reconnect everybody, the potential is there no doubt, we all need to contribute to succeed, players, fans, directors and owner.  

8 hours ago, PFree said:

No,you are not is suspect alot of people are feeling like this, and not just at our club ether 

3 hours ago, Malago said:

Why blame the monkey instead of the organ grinder?

How many owners speak to fans directly, I can think of only one and that's the Peterborough owner,

I dont expect to hear from the owner unless something was wrong, I do expect to hear from the chairman and ceo like we use too

8 hours ago, Calculus said:

Agree with everything the OP says. Would also add that I think the players are much less easy to identify with these days. Time was, with the likes of Murray, Tinnion, Carey, Bell etc. you felt more of a connection. There seemed to be fewer players then and they seemed to stay for a long time - giving time to feel a connection. Now we have so many players, and they seem to be here today and gone tomorrow. Connection with modern football seems much more difficult now. I haven't done the research on this - just how it seems to me, so could easily be bowlocks.

Totally agree with you, think this can be said of football generally though, not just City unfortunately. All of the character has gone. I watch most matches on tv because it’s what I’ve always done but it’s become boring, there’s no passion or excitement, I don’t even know half the players in the Premier League anymore they change so frequently. Very sad. 

I’ve felt the same as @PFreefor a while now. If you take away Cotterill’s reign, which was Dawe’s appointment, we’ve been a rudderless ship for 10 or more years, IMO, and that probably correlates with SL moving to his ivory tower in Guernsey. 

Nobody can knock the level of investment on or off the field in that time, but it’s how it’s been spent that takes the piss while smaller clubs like Brentford spend around the same as us over that time and showed how far ahead of us they are in every department last night. 

My passion for the club hasn’t gone, though, it’s just turned to frustration. From the dross on the pitch to being treated as cash cows from those in charge. Either SL needs to have an epiphany and wise up, JL needs to start acting like a chairman instead of a man child, or change is needed from the top down IMO.

Archived