IGNORED

Team for cardiff

joshbristol

With Williams and Paterson both back from injury I would like to see both start 

Bentley 

hunt   Mawson kalas maps 

semenyo  Williams vyner Pato 

Wells  fammy 

Max

moore  

Palmer 

massengo 

nagy 

O.Edwards 

Lansbury 

bakinson 

Bell 

Interesting that Mick played 4231 in his first game then went to 352 last game, I'd be tempted to stick with 433 (if we think they're going to stay 352) to try and get Semenyo and whoevers on the other side in behind their wing backs attacking the outside CB especially if Morrison is playing at outside CB. We crossed quite a lot today and Flint/Morrison would probably love it if we tried to regularly put balls into the box. Attack the goal line wide of the box and look for cut backs, we know Flint often used to lose his marker, good luck for him tracking Wells. I'd give Owura one more chance on the basis of the above his pace could cause problems for Cardiff outside CB's if we get him in the right positions, also because one more game starting helps Pato get more game time from the bench building him back up, after 25 mins today he won't be ready to start a game 3 days later probably. Massengo needs to start for me after that performance, probably his best in a City shirt, if he drops to the bench after that then it would be a massive confidence knock for him, he needs the platform to push on. Against Cardiff at home he should still have that licence to get at them driving forward and being involved in the final third. 

The obvious question mark in the side I've put is Vyner at LB, from what I've seen he's not too bad on his left foot, has the athleticism but with Kieffer Moore you need to stop his physical presence and playing CB after the first couple of games Zak was pretty solid. We've seen Mariappa at LB and he's probably not a long term (until Dasilva/Rowe are back) answer if we want to keep our foot on the pedal, it'd be tough for Zak but he's adapted well to midfield so I think it could be worth a try. Plus if we need to change shape without wanting to make a sub he can move into LCB with someone dropping into WB.

* Frankly we NEED a LB on the bench if another person drops, Gregor says Harper has been training with the 1st team recently, Bell's stuck to a place on the bench despite limited minutes, Pearson drops in and out. 

Bentley

Hunt.         Kalas.       Mawson.   Vyner

Palmer.    Nagy.  Massengo

Semenyo.        Wells.      Edwards

O'Leary, Moore, Harper*, Williams, Paterson, Diedhiou, Bell

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Mawson Unnatural fit!

Nagy Massengo Vyner

Semenyo Wells Paterson

Paterson wouldn't be a winger but a left sided attacking midfielder or similar, and tbh there might be a case for Edwards on the left- likewise Vyner would only be provisional, should Lansbury be fit- could make a case for Bakinson too.

LB? Who the hell knows! Nobody is a natural fit for the position atm, pick the least bad option? However I think that Wells central, with Semenyo's energy wide right and the craft of Paterson wide left could be good movement wise vs Morrison and Flint- Palmer I'm not sure on, don't feel so secure in the CM.

Alternative might be:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Mawson Unnatural fit!

Massengo Nagy Lansbury

Palmer

Semenyo Wells

With the security of an extra man behind Palmer, he could try some of his flair and tricks- with 2 behind him it can be a problem, but a 3rd man gives him that extra added security, ability to try things even if they don't always come off, buys a bit of extra time etc.

Archived