IGNORED

Zac Vyner

Robbored

Has played in midfield in last few games and last night I thought he had a pretty good game. That said he came thru the ranks essentially as a defender and has played regularly at CB until recently. 

With the likes of Pato, Williams and Lansbury soon to be variable again should Vyner return to CB or should Deano continue playing him in midfield?

Nice selection dilemma to have I guess.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Has played in midfield in last few games and last night I thought he had a pretty good game. That said he came thru the ranks essentially as a defender and has played regularly at CB until recently. 

With the likes of Pato, Williams and Lansbury soon to be variable again should Vyner return to CB or should Deano continue playing him in midfield?

Keep him as the defensive midfielder.

14 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Keep him as the defensive midfielder.

I suggested in a thread pre season I could see him playing midfield, (may have been more a question can’t remember tbh), but always thought he had the raw ingredients for the role. 

A bit surprised at the lack of recognition overall for his progress this season with some statements to the effect he won’t take us further. 

Given the massive strides he has already made and the room and time for improvement before he hits his prime years, I’m really hoping and backing him to grow with us and become a mainstay in our squad for years to come. 

come on Zack, progress to future club captain and legend ??

4 minutes ago, City1984 said:

I suggested in a thread pre season I could see him playing midfield, (may have been more a question can’t remember tbh), but always thought he had the raw ingredients for the role. 

A bit surprised at the lack of recognition overall for his progress this season with some statements to the effect he won’t take us further. 

Given the massive strides he has already made and the room and time for improvement before he hits his prime years, I’m really hoping and backing him to grow with us and become a mainstay in our squad for years to come. 

come on Zack, progress to future club captain and legend ??

Exactly this - he is still quite young, has learnt and had a good season so far so should really progress next season.

Maybe he’s the new Louis Carey?

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yes, he’s done pretty well.

But If Williams gets fit, I’m wondering if Vyner should be moved to right back with Hunt on the left. Perhaps Sessegnon left if he gets fit. Don’t think Mariappa is the answer - need to experiment to find a better solution there.

48 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

If we stick with 4 at the back I'd play Vyner at LB with the amount of Midfielders we have available.

We've got enough midfield options.

I'd also do this. Hunt can't play left back. He's too one footed. 

Mariappa shanked one or two out yesterday and offers little going forward, Vyner is the better option to play there I think. 

O'Dowda when back could be asked to do a job I reckon. 

6 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I'd also do this. Hunt can't play left back. He's too one footed. 

Mariappa shanked one or two out yesterday and offers little going forward, Vyner is the better option to play there I think. 

O'Dowda when back could be asked to do a job I reckon. 

I reckon COD would be sound at LB. Maybe we'd change to 352 when he returns as he'll be more suited to LWB.

We would have gone to a 5-3-2 (3-5-2) as soon as possible, with Paterson and Williams becoming fit again, and he would be one of the three centre-halves.

However, sending Tommy Rowe out injured at the weekend to compound his injury, and Jay Dasilva some way off, coupled with the facts we also have no other fit left wing back in the club, or were able to sign any in the whole month of January, means we cannot.

So I expect him to carry on being played out of position in midfield as a thank you for being an improved player this season, as we cannot bring ourselves to drop Mawson or Kalas if we play two centre-halves.

Confused? Yep.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He strikes me as the type of player who will never be many peoples first choice in any particular position when picking their strongest starting XI but you will look back at the end of the season and he will have played his 30+ games for the simple fact the kid has a good football brain and could probably do a "job" in 6-7 positions. I think he's a good solid player at the level but not spectacular.

For me, him and Moore were level pegging at the start of the season. Vyner is now miles ahead.

Thought Vyner was really good against Brentford. Turned out of dangerous tight spaces nicely on several occasions. At times I think he's a little passive tracking players and staying touch tight. Overall excellent though.

I don't think him or Hunt are the answer at left back though. Both are heavily right footed and don't look comfortable on their left (though neither does Mapps). I'd be more confident of Vyner on the left than Hunt, as Hunt on the left negates his best asset with overlapping runs and early balls into the box. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He strikes me as the type of player who will never be many peoples first choice in any particular position when picking their strongest starting XI but you will look back at the end of the season and he will have played his 30+ games for the simple fact the kid has a good football brain and could probably do a "job" in 6-7 positions. I think he's a good solid player at the level but not spectacular.

For me, him and Moore were level pegging at the start of the season. Vyner is now miles ahead.

I'd agree with that.  At coming up 24, Zak is just realising his full potential.

Be nice to see him chipping in with a few more goals. I think he has that potential in him.

12 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

We would have gone to a 5-3-2 (3-5-2) as soon as possible, with Paterson and Williams becoming fit again, and he would be one of the three centre-halves.

However, sending Tommy Rowe out injured at the weekend to compound his injury

Confused? Yep.

I can’t believe that any manager would send any player out that’s carrying an injury simply because the likelihood of making the injury far worse is high indeed - way too risky.

My guess, and it is a guess is that Rowe’s knee felt fine and was able to play and on that basis started the game.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd agree with that.  At coming up 24, Zak is just realising his full potential.

Be nice to see him chipping in with a few more goals. I think he has that potential in him.

With the heading ability he should have if played at CDM for 46 games he could and should be looking at a 6-8 goal return I would think? He's scored 2 in about half a dozen games from there so far so not that unrealistic (I know that's more than 6-8 if you go pro rata but he isn't Frank Lampard!!).

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Who said those players will available again . Pure speculation on your part . You must of got this information from some local hack

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

If we stick with 4 at the back I'd play Vyner at LB with the amount of Midfielders we have available.

We've got enough midfield options.

Not many midfielders (no real RM or LM), but still more than our LBs so...providing we don't get more injuries, I'd do the same.

16 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Who said those players will available again . Pure speculation on your part . You must of got this information from some local hack

Not quite true Steve. I got the information by actually listening to Deano in one of his recent interviews. May well have been last night post Bees.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can’t believe that any manager would send any player out that’s carrying an injury simply because the likelihood of making the injury far worse is high indeed - way too risky.

My guess, and it is a guess is that Rowe’s knee felt fine and was able to play and on that basis started the game.

He limped off injured in the game v. Huddersfield and then left the Derby game after 20mins injured in the very next match.

It’s not a massive 2+2 exercise to reach the conclusion he went into the Derby game less than 100% fit is it??

At best it was a 70/30 and its cost us.

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

He limped off injured in the game v. Huddersfield and then left the Derby game after 20mins injured in the very next match.

It’s not a massive 2+2 exercise to reach the conclusion he went into the Derby game less than 100% fit is it??

At best it was a 70/30 and its cost us.

Rowe seemed to be one of only a few players who were bomb proof from an injury perspective and it does seem that we have messed up by playing him on Saturday.

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

No ones mentioned taylor moore at left back, not ideal, but we have no one else left.

Vyner has been very Impressive. Looking forward to next season, with hunt out of contract, theres an obvious spot for him at rb.

With Baker and Mawson likely to have left by then I think his future is centre-back.

Archived