IGNORED

How far off Brentford are we?

Shtanley

We all know that Brentford for several seasons are admired as a footballing side, lots of pass and move.  However, the one thing that really impressed me was the pace in the team, they must have at least 5 or 6 players capable of running at the opposition with pace, often forcing free kicks or getting crosses/shots in. We have got one, Semenyo. 

Red, you talk biased, one-eyed nonsense again. Judders and Bomo have just been in the Prem so have all the gains that brings. How far behind who (Man City, yes) since when (we are currently higher than our average position over the past 5,10,15,20,25,30,35 years) we have the facilities to progress which we have never had before. 

Get real or get... Off

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

We all know that Brentford for several seasons are admired as a footballing side, lots of pass and move.  However, the one thing that really impressed me was the pace in the team, they must have at least 5 or 6 players capable of running at the opposition with pace, often forcing free kicks or getting crosses/shots in. We have got one, Semenyo. 

The thing that stuck in my mind was how well the ball stuck to their forwards and midfielders. Once they got the ball, they kept it and we almost never got the ball from them (except by fouling). Conversely, too often, it seemed to bounce off our guys. 

5 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Josh and Rob join me to discuss the 3-2 loss away at Brentford.

What did we make of Owura?

How envious of Brentford's set-up and squad should we be? How far off them are we?

How are we still three points off of the playoffs?

LISTEN HERE

As always keen to hear thoughts and feedback!

12 points off!

Wouldnt it be nice to have their playing style. Barely a lost or wasted pass. 
Hot potato for our boys when we had it. 

As long as we keep employing coaches that can't coach technical skills like keeping possession, pass and move etc we will be light years away. It's also about the mindset of the player. Play the safe pass or hoof forwards rather than know you have the technical skill to create. Too many bang average journeyman pros. Not enough flair or quality. 

For far too long we've played safe. No nasty players, no leaders to kick backsides on the pitch or take a game by the scruff. 

How is it that us fans have been crying out for leadership and flair for years since Cotts went and still we sign the same style of metrnomic player and yes man coach. As long as Lansdown can sell at a profit that's ok though

As @weepywall states, I was bloody happy with a 3-2 defeat to Brentford.

Thought we played some really good football 1st half and matched them. 

Brentford then stuck it up a gear 2nd half and the gap was obvious. Being positive, a couple of quality signings (midfield, and down the left side which has been our weakness most of the season IMO), and we will not be far off top 6.

The worry I have is that MA will not have a Scooby Doo about how to ID 2 quality signings as he keeps looking in the bargain bucket usually.

15 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Completely agree. One thing that, to me, has characterised City over the last couple of seasons is how static and slow we can be. We have players (but not enough) who can run at the opposition, but we don’t seem to do it very often. 

14 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

the fact that brentford , along with huddersfield, bournemouth, swansea, brighton, and so on , were all miles behind our club not too long ago, shows just how far behind we are these days. its ok though, bristol sport is growing and thats all that matters :laugh:

And Wigan, Hull, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich have been ahead of us in recent times. It works both ways

4 hours ago, weepywall said:

Well seeing as many including myself were not too disappointed with a 3-2 defeat to them, I would say we are some way off Brentford.

I’d say it was down to Brentford not quite being on their game rather than us playing well.

The question should be just how did Brentford get to where they are at today as much as asking how far ahead of us they are.

5 hours ago, weepywall said:

Well seeing as many including myself were not too disappointed with a 3-2 defeat to them, I would say we are some way off Brentford.

My missus asked the next day, how was the match.

I said that the football was pretty decent.  All things considered

Then she asked table positions etc.

So with a score of 3-2 and table position of 2nd & 9th.  She said, it seems like they aren't too far apart.

I had to say that although those two measures they may not appear too far off, watching them showed that there is a bigger gap between the two clubs.

City looked fine at times, but did have a tint of patched up and punching above their weight.
Brenford looked a well drilled side, that had a system and style of play.  Which seemed to have given them an air of confidence in their play.

3 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

As @weepywall states, I was bloody happy with a 3-2 defeat to Brentford.

Thought we played some really good football 1st half and matched them. 

Brentford then stuck it up a gear 2nd half and the gap was obvious. Being positive, a couple of quality signings (midfield, and down the left side which has been our weakness most of the season IMO), and we will not be far off top 6.

The worry I have is that MA will not have a Scooby Doo about how to ID 2 quality signings as he keeps looking in the bargain bucket usually.

The team also needs a LEADER but what concerns me is that a leader will not have the right DNA, will not be a decent enough human being for Mark Ashton to even contemplate signing them. But for me if this team had a real leader in it, someone who would not have to think twice to tell a younger player in no uncertain terms to wake up when they get sloppy (Bakinson has form for this), we would lose these 25 minute spells where the opposition totally and utterly obliterate us and we have to defend our goal for dear life. Once you have some leadership in the team you can then work on the quality aspect of it and as you say we are probably 3-4 quality players plus that leader off being top 6 material. We certainly have the balls for a fight that's for sure but that is pretty much all we seem to have with the odd moment of skill sprinkled in now and again.

We are miles off Brentford the result completely flattered us, they are the latest of a number of clubs to have started off in a similar position and flown past us and got to the Prem. Some have come down again and gone further South but I'd argue at least they took the plunge even if t was a calculated gamble/risk but plenty are still in a better position than we are.

Recruitment wise we are a sham we don't seem to recruit very well in our immediate catchment area and rely too much on the academy. Just look at Brentford I can name these players who we missed for cheap sums who would all walk into our side, did we scout any of them as all played not a million miles away from Ashton Gate - Watkins (Exeter), Pinnock (FGR via Barnsley), Henry (Walsall). Fosu (Oxford) that's before you even look at their excellent foreign recruitment where bar Juju and Eliason ours has been a disaster.

Good luck to Brentford maybe Mark Ashton might want to give them a call..

16 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

the fact that brentford , along with huddersfield, bournemouth, swansea, brighton, and so on , were all miles behind our club not too long ago, shows just how far behind we are these days. its ok though, bristol sport is growing and thats all that matters :laugh:

Going on that logic - look how much better we are than Cardiff and Sunderland. They were Premier league not long ago. 

15 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Red, you talk biased, one-eyed nonsense again. Judders and Bomo have just been in the Prem so have all the gains that brings. How far behind who (Man City, yes) since when (we are currently higher than our average position over the past 5,10,15,20,25,30,35 years) we have the facilities to progress which we have never had before. 

Get real or get... Off

“Judders and Bomo” 

39EF1857-3025-4C04-9FD7-61925A1FED46.gif

I have to say I agree with @Oléin that we can all get behind a strategy but there isn’t one. The shows are good value but I do enjoy podcasts more when Rob is on them as share lots of his opinions & like his directness but look forward to episodes.

I think Robs mood was influenced more by SCP beating Benicia rather than Brentford!!!!

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The team also needs a LEADER but what concerns me is that a leader will not have the right DNA, will not be a decent enough human being for Mark Ashton to even contemplate signing them. But for me if this team had a real leader in it, someone who would not have to think twice to tell a younger player in no uncertain terms to wake up when they get sloppy (Bakinson has form for this), we would lose these 25 minute spells where the opposition totally and utterly obliterate us and we have to defend our goal for dear life. Once you have some leadership in the team you can then work on the quality aspect of it and as you say we are probably 3-4 quality players plus that leader off being top 6 material. We certainly have the balls for a fight that's for sure but that is pretty much all we seem to have with the odd moment of skill sprinkled in now and again.

So why did Ashton sell Marlon Pack. Duh.
MA is only interested in selling the “family silver” and making ££££s - and we all know what happens when the cabinet is empty. We never replaced MP IMO.

Leaders tend to be outspoken and heaven forbid that at Bristol City, sell him!

Archived