IGNORED

Culinary Covid

petehinton

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I've been craving a gastropub fish and chips for about 5 weeks now, on my knees

Just go to a chippy, bin all bar about half a dozen chips plate it up on an old roof tile and give the fella in the chippy 30 quid for your cod lot.

But rather than a can of Rio, crack open a bottle of Blue Nun.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just go to a chippy, bin all bar about half a dozen chips plate it up on an old roof tile and give the fella in the chippy 30 quid for your cod lot.

But rather than a can of Rio, crack open a bottle of Blue Nun.

God no, Rio must be the most underrated drink on planet Earth imo

53 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I've been craving a gastropub fish and chips for about 5 weeks now, on my knees

I'm really craving a proper good steak.   We get take outs from the Royal Inn in Portishead which are superb but them and seemingly nowhere else does a proper good steak. I guess difficult with steaks to deliver them as you want them cooked. 

That the combination of nearly 12 months without being on the road for work.. I don't miss a lot about that.. but I do miss free feeds at Miller & Carter on work expenses! 

8 minutes ago, TomF said:

We get take outs from the Royal Inn in Portishead which are superb

Their Sunday roasts are good as well, and absolutely huge. Cheap as well

Ive lost a stone in January - gonna keep it going until lockdown is lifted then binge my way around Portishead. Huge pizza at Antonios first

23 minutes ago, TomF said:

I'm really craving a proper good steak.   We get take outs from the Royal Inn in Portishead which are superb but them and seemingly nowhere else does a proper good steak. I guess difficult with steaks to deliver them as you want them cooked. 

That the combination of nearly 12 months without being on the road for work.. I don't miss a lot about that.. but I do miss free feeds at Miller & Carter on work expenses! 

That's one thing I've done quite well with, cooking steak.

With no pubs, and the Doris not working away, we find ourselves getting increasingly competitive in the kitchen, so supermarket meat has been replaced with everything coming from local butchers (supporting independent outlets and the quality is so much better), so I have become quite skilled in preparing a rare fillet!

33 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

With no pubs, and the Doris not working away, we find ourselves getting increasingly competitive in the kitchen, so supermarket meat has been replaced with everything coming from local butchers (supporting independent outlets and the quality is so much better), so I have become quite skilled in preparing a rare fillet!

Ditto. 

Steaks and pasta dishes are my forte.

Thing with a steak is to give it a good bashing on both sides before grilling. Tenderises the meat as well as breaking up the fat veins allowing them to seep into the grain of the meat rather than remain as gristly lumps.

Use a rolling pin if you don't have a tenderiser.

A bit of salt rubbed in also helps this process, as does a quick marinade - Worcester Source is fairly good for this.

If you're going to fry, a high temperature flash fry for 20 seconds per side seals in the flavour, before you turn down the heat and cook it more slowly to your required degree of rareness.

Right, I'm off to jump over the serving counter a la Galloping Gourmet*.

* If you're under 50, look him up.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I’m with you there, I’d frequent Leon Oxford st for a chicken wrap every Thursday lunch time after meetings, funny how much your body craves it when you know you can’t have it. 

I know the ox & pasture were doing big discounts on their meat boxes, may be worth a squirt 

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’m with you there, I’d frequent Leon Oxford st for a chicken wrap every Thursday lunch time after meetings, funny how much your body craves it when you know you can’t have it. 

Half the BBC used to get lunch from there. Perhaps it's the Dimbleby connection.

The other half would be in the Riding House Caf in Great Titchfied Street.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ditto. 

Steaks and pasta dishes are my forte.

Thing with a steak is to give it a good bashing on both sides before grilling. Tenderises the meat as well as breaking up the fat veins allowing them to seep into the grain of the meat rather than remain as gristly lumps.

Use a rolling pin if you don't have a tenderiser.

A bit of salt rubbed in also helps this process, as does a quick marinade - Worcester Source is fairly good for this.

If you're going to fry, a high temperature flash fry for 20 seconds per side seals in the flavour, before you turn down the heat and cook it more slowly to your required degree of rareness.

Right, I'm off to jump over the serving counter a la Galloping Gourmet*.

* If you're under 50, look him up.

Exactly. Steaks are dead easy and surly better to cook yourself straight from the pan/grill to the plate. I can’t say I would fancy a takeaway steak, surely it must lose something on the journey? If you cook it yourself you know it’s fresh and you can cook it to your liking. 

I cant remember the last time I had takeaway, not even MacDonald’s. Could quite fancy chip shop chips, that’s the only thing I miss but even out of lockdown I hardly ever had them, maybe on City away days. 

I can cook anything, cheaper and more to my taste than any takeaway or restaurant. I wonder if people will go back to eating out like before. I guess for the change of scenery or special occasion but I can’t say I’ve missed it. Once people break the habit they might not automatically return.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly. Steaks are dead easy and surly better to cook yourself straight from the pan/grill to the plate. I can’t say I would fancy a takeaway steak, surely it must lose something on the journey? If you cook it yourself you know it’s fresh and you can cook it to your liking. 

I cant remember the last time I had takeaway, not even MacDonald’s. Could quite fancy chip shop chips, that’s the only thing I miss but even out of lockdown I hardly ever had them, maybe on City away days. 

I can cook anything, cheaper and more to my taste than any takeaway or restaurant. I wonder if people will go back to eating out like before. I guess for the change of scenery or special occasion but I can’t say I’ve missed it. Once people break the habit they might not automatically return.

I must admit, I've popped into Wells for a Thai takeaway a couple of times during lockdown. 

Thai's a bit beyond my competence.

They're good there. Leave the food, and the card machine on a table and step away. No queues, so it's very low risk.

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

The superb Falcon Steakhouse in Wotton under Edge are reopening this week for takeaways Fridays & Saturdays. 
No steak, but their burgers and chips are absolutely gorgeous. 
My order in for Saturday already ?

0A70F49D-C508-4B9C-B829-40BB0AFD788A.jpeg

The steakhouse that doesn't do steak.

Wonder if they got this idea from the 'Mammoth' sale at DFS when there were absolutely no discounted mammoths to be found.

If you want me, I'll be shopping for a vegan down the tripe and liver shop.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The steakhouse that doesn't do steak.

Wonder if they got this idea from the 'Mammoth' sale at DFS when there were absolutely no discounted mammoths to be found.

If you want me, I'll be shopping for a vegan down the tripe and liver shop.

Ha ha. Just a reduced takeaway menu mate. As noted by others, a takeaway steak probably loses a lot of its yum during its journey.

When it reopens, get up there. Best steaks in the Cotswolds! 

33 minutes ago, Harry said:

The superb Falcon Steakhouse in Wotton under Edge are reopening this week for takeaways Fridays & Saturdays. 
No steak, but their burgers and chips are absolutely gorgeous. 
My order in for Saturday already ?

0A70F49D-C508-4B9C-B829-40BB0AFD788A.jpeg

Just realised I've been there, can agree top quality ?

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I've started cooking a lot more as well, although not being a steak fan (I know) my forte has become curries. Always wanted to do it from scratch and am pretty sure I could give the restaurants a run for their money now :)

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

I've started cooking a lot more as well, although not being a steak fan (I know) my forte has become curries. Always wanted to do it from scratch and am pretty sure I could give the restaurants a run for their money now :)

Like you Rich, I too am a big fan of cooking Indian food (my selection of spices is quite impressive!).

I have a couple of plans for when the weather improves. One, build my own tandoor, and two, home made naan bread cooked in said tandoor.

If you like Indian cooking, then "Latifs Inspired" on YouTube is well worth a follow.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

religiously have sausages and chips saturday lunchtimes,all through lockdown too. ive even had them battered a few times when ive got my dentures in right. 

on a more serious note,its been announced that covid 19 is now the longest lasting thing ever to have been made in china

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Like you Rich, I too am a big fan of cooking Indian food (my selection of spices is quite impressive!).

I have a couple of plans for when the weather improves. One, build my own tandoor, and two, home made naan bread cooked in said tandoor.

If you like Indian cooking, then "Latifs Inspired" on YouTube is well worth a follow.

You’ve come a long way since that shared house in Knowle and the takeaway curry every night!! ?

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

You’ve come a long way since that shared house in Knowle and the takeaway curry every night!! ?

It wasn't every night, at least twice a week I'd visit the Chinese, or Mr Crispins for a Clarks pie, chips and gravy.

I also remember that unfortunate fortnight when the KFC were doing corn on the cob for about 25p. State of the bathroom after that....

I blame Lenny.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I love Indian cooking, had lessons when I was in India, but not making food like most UK restaurants, street food and traditional recipes.  If you want to get ingredients, Sweetmart in Easton is a good place to start.

Archived