IGNORED

Hourihane

Bassomylord

Don’t know if anyone else is in the same position but for me, he’s one of those in a group of now established players that you keep thinking throughout his career since their early breakthrough’s, we should be in for him - similar to the likes of Billy Sharp, Bradley Dack et al.

Clearly the people in the power have a difference checklist that brings us whoppers such as Engval etc, etc. 

We did get Daniel Bentley though - another on my ‘list’ - so be thankful for small mercies and his signing  demonstrates that our scouting system isn’t completely useless. 

Wasn’t Bentley in a poor run of form for Brentford at the time and as I recall their fans were glad to get rid of him.

Fortunately for us this season he’s one of the few signings that hasn’t regressed under our methods which sadly means he is probably one of the few assets the club has to sale to balance the books.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

No, total waste signing with Palmer showing some form and Pato now back from injury.

Sorry but imo, Palmer may play for 15mins a game and Pato will show up about one game in six; one minute loaned to Forest then hes a returning hero......not going to happen.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Might it be that his wages proved prohibitive in these Covid times- elephant in the room is £85-90m 3 year gap in Parachute Payments.

Credit to Swansea for being quite well run too since coming down, but that 100% helps. What's good for the goose etc, IF Parachute Payments were loans that hit the Balance Sheet or Cash Flow only, club is nice and stable but can't go out and buy an advantage.

Why what's good for the goose? See the PL loans to Championship clubs related to Covid- that £8.33m maximum will be a loan and repayable out of future Solidarity Payments or other Central Awards.

Very easy to solve, if the will is there. Keep the system if we have to, but exclude it from Profit and Loss Account. Correctly structured loans or distribution would do this.

Wages could indeed have been a reason we went for HL rather than CH. 

Or is it.......

This may not be 100% accurate, but there are many resources out there that suggest HL was earning more than CH. 

50D2BA89-53EF-463A-9363-BDD89A284180.jpeg

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Don’t know if anyone else is in the same position but for me, he’s one of those in a group of now established players that you keep thinking throughout his career since their early breakthrough’s, we should be in for him - similar to the likes of Billy Sharp, Bradley Dack et al.

Clearly the people in the power have a difference checklist that brings us whoppers such as Engval etc, etc. 

We did get Daniel Bentley though - another on my ‘list’ - so be thankful for small mercies and his signing  demonstrates that our scouting system isn’t completely useless. 

Hourihane was watched many times when he was at Plymouth. Was highly recommended. Some people at the club were VERY keen to sign him. Others (those with the final say) weren’t. He ended up at Barnsley. For a meagre £250k!! 

13 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I think you will find we’ve tried for him in the not too distant past

We were after him in 18/19, but he got back in the Villa side, and helped turn their form around.

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wages could indeed have been a reason we went for HL rather than CH. 

Or is it.......

This may not be 100% accurate, but there are many resources out there that suggest HL was earning more than CH. 

50D2BA89-53EF-463A-9363-BDD89A284180.jpeg

Difference being, one had his contract mutually terminated, so sat with a nice pay-off to lessen the burden of wage demands.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Hourihane was watched many times when he was at Plymouth. Was highly recommended. Some people at the club were VERY keen to sign him. Others (those with the final say) weren’t. He ended up at Barnsley. For a meagre £250k!! 

Ah... might be a very good footballer, but is he a very good human? 

Nuts. 

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Or one word 

Competence.

No way that anyone could label Villa competent. The year they went up they were a financial shambles and took a massive all or nothing gamble on promotion - totally ignoring ffp in the process! They only just squeaked through via the playoffs - had they not they would probably be in administration now. Competent?  no - lucky ? very much so!

1 minute ago, Scrumpylegs said:

No way that anyone could label Villa competent. The year they went up they were a financial shambles and took a massive all or nothing gamble on promotion - totally ignoring ffp in the process! They only just squeaked through via the playoffs - had they not they would probably be in administration now. Competent?  no - lucky ? very much so!

Ok. As we aren’t good with one word replies.

I was referring moreover to a lack of competence at City.

We are still the ‘ nearly men ‘ .

We do lots right but there is something missing to compete at the highest level with those who do what it takes to get there. 

46 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, good point. How come they've got that, and we haven't? (So unfair)

Were Parachute Payments loans, or to help the Cash Flow or Balance Sheet, then it would help solvency and stability but negate a competitive advantage. 

Would clubs vote for it though?

Should add if it hits that Balance Sheet or Cash flow it wouldn't necessarily hit profit and loss. Therefore clubs need to cut sooner and deeper, or reinvest less of the fat they do cut.

@Harry I did wonder that myself but early research looks doubtful (unless it's wrong) in this case. Also what Dave said about payoff, wage reduction. That all helps.

@Scrumpylegs

The points about Aston Villa, don't think they ignored FFP as such. From my reading of the reports, they found an approach that the EFL deemed acceptable in summer 2018.

I consider such a regulation very sketchy, and had they stayed down then yes shit or bust came in. Owners might have kept funding so administration perhaps not, but significant downsizing and an EFL led investigation into valuation of Villa Park, maybe the HS2 stuff too etc.

Nonetheless I initially thought they ignored it but it's possible that the EFL gave some kind of green light for the process- the hard analysis might have come later. By the EFL I mean as was under Shaun Harvey.

5 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Yeah, but not all those.

Apart from those??

Have we ever signed a world class Premiership player at the peak of his powers in the January window? No. Why? Because lack of ambition. We don't want it enough.

Why on earth would a world class Premier League player at the peak of his powers sign for Championship Bristol City?????  What a bizarre statement! 

Edit......Unless I'm missing the sarcasm.....! 

On 06/02/2021 at 12:57, Scrumpylegs said:

In the season we went up, we were taken over. We rejected bids of £5m for our best player. (We could sell him for a bit more today)

When it was going wrong we changed manager and then went on a ten game winning run to make the playoffs.

We adhered to FFP. As verified by the EFL and EPL.
I admit we got lucky with our owners. They saw the potential and made the changes needed.
At the moment the club is flying. Lucky ? Yeah. But Hard-working, talented and with a sense of purpose.

I'd argue we are very competent.

Archived