IGNORED

Cardiff (H) - Sat 6th Feb 15:00 - Matchday thread

What will happen?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will City score?

3. 3. How many will Cardiff Score?

4. 4. Have you updated your Robins TV app?

5. 5. Do you like Polls in the matchday thread? (If there are questions people would like added or suggestions please reply/@prinny in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/21 at 15:01

For me the way to get at cardiff is with some pace up top- they’re a BIG physical team so I’d go with. 

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Mawson Marriappa 

Williams Bakinson Massengo 

Palmer 

Semenuo Wells 

I’m assuming given his minutes for the U23’s Williams is fit enough to start, so him and Bakinson can “sit” and leave massengo to continue his good performance vs Brentford. 

Palmer playing just off Wells and Semenyo gives us pace and some ability to stretch the cardiff defenders. 

Strong beach of Fam, Edwards, Nagy, Moore, Vyner, Bell, Lansbury, O’Leary, Edwards 

7 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

For me the way to get at cardiff is with some pace up top- they’re a BIG physical team so I’d go with. 

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Mawson Marriappa 

Williams Bakinson Massengo 

Palmer 

Semenuo Wells 

I’m assuming given his minutes for the U23’s Williams is fit enough to start, so him and Bakinson can “sit” and leave massengo to continue his good performance vs Brentford. 

Palmer playing just off Wells and Semenyo gives us pace and some ability to stretch the cardiff defenders. 

Strong beach of Fam, Edwards, Nagy, Moore, Vyner, Bell, Lansbury, O’Leary, Edwards 

I’ll be astounded if Williams starts to tomorrow.  I would have thought they’ll  want to give him a full 90 minutes in the U23s and when, and if, he’s bumped up to the first team squad, I would imagine he’ll first be introduced as a sub with 20 minutes to go.

I think we’ll see Williams off the bench to try and get him used to 1st team intensity, give him 20-30 mins depending on game situation. 

Said in a different thread if we think Cardiff are going to go back 3 I’d rather keep wingers on the pitch for it, get some pace running at Morrison with Wells central with his movement vs Flint. 

4231/433 or 451 in/out of possession for me, let Palmer get forward and join attacks. However I’d be encouraging Massengo however possible to have the same style and intensity from his game Wednesday. 

Bentley

Hunt        Kalas      Mawson     Vyner

Lansbury

Palmer         Massengo 

Pato                               Semenyo 

Wells

I can’t watch Mariappa at left back again. It was hurting my eyes, the poor bloke hasn’t got a left foot and struggles with pace. I’d stick Vyner there personally.

That looks pretty attacking but what the hell, why not. It’s Cardiff at home and I want us to win convincingly!

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Bentley

Lansbury

Palmer         Massengo 

Wells

I can’t watch Mariappa at left back again. It was hurting my eyes, the poor bloke hasn’t got a left foot and struggles with pace. I’d stick Vyner there personally.

That looks pretty attacking but what the hell, why not. It’s Cardiff at home and I want us to win convincingly!

Not sure Pato is ready for a start yet, I'd be tempted to give Owura another go if we think Cardiff will play a back 3 again with Morrison exposed on one side, get Owura/Antoine 1v1 against him and let them have a go. Alternatively give Pearson a go starting, Welsh lad would surely relish the challenge of getting stuck in.

Bentley     

Mariappa.  Kalas.  Mawson

Vyner.                                             Hunt

Massengo.   Nagy

Paterson   

Semenyo            Wells

Depending on Lansbury not being fit as I would play him . Drop Diedhiou. Don’t want to be lumping upfront with Flint winning headers. Get the front 3 running at them ball on the deck. Only gone 3-5-2 due to no natural left back. Probably miles off 

What’s funny is that not one person has even mentioned fam in their lineups or subs but funnily enough I agree.

think we could see Vince Harper drafted in as our left back as he’s the only available natural left back at the club.

would like to see a front three of wells in the middle and semenyo and either edwards or pato either side of him.

midfield three of massengo Palmer and bakinson with Lansbury, Williams and Nagy coming off the bench to replace them.

back four of hunt kalas mawson and Harper.

rest vyner

5 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Bentley

Lansbury

Palmer         Massengo 

Wells

Aging defenders often do- then as you say no left foot, being a CB and RB- a right footed player- trade IIRC?

That left side (no slight on them as individuals for varying reasons) is a huge achilles heel if we play the same one as Wednesday night- we know it, but no suitable natural left footers means the opposition know it too and we have to just do as best we can.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Aging defenders often do- then as you say no left foot, being a CB and RB- a right footed player- trade IIRC?

That left side (no slight on them as individuals for varying reasons) is a huge achilles heel if we play the same one as Wednesday night- we know it, but no suitable natural left footers means the opposition know it too and we have to just do as best we can.

I just think Vyner would be a better fit there more than Mariappa. Decent with both feet, more mobile and stronger on the ball.

Zak really has impressed me this season, so I wouldn’t have any complaints having him at LB.

13 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Not sure Pato is ready for a start yet, I'd be tempted to give Owura another go if we think Cardiff will play a back 3 again with Morrison exposed on one side, get Owura/Antoine 1v1 against him and let them have a go. Alternatively give Pearson a go starting, Welsh lad would surely relish the challenge of getting stuck in.

Owura did okay on Wednesday against a classy Brentford side. Just needs to learn to move the ball faster in tighter areas, but that will come. 

Good early signs from him.

43 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

They're probably thinking the same as me, the coaches don't rate him as highly as the supporters. I'd have him in the team every week if he kept on playing like he did at Brentford.

I’d say it’s irrelevant how much you rate a player. To drop someone after that performance, especially a young player, would be very poor. Demoralising for the player and a strange statement to make to the whole squad 

Can’t believe it’s Saturday morning abd I’ve put zero thought into what team I’d pick if I were DH!

No idea whether MM will go back 3 or back 4....but I do know that lumping balls towards Morrison and Nelson (and maybe Flint) is pretty pointless.

I would be v.tempted to swap out Mariappa at LB, but it’s with who that’s the problem.  

14 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Bentley

Lansbury

Palmer         Massengo 

Wells

I'm liking your style but maybe a tad "shit or bust"...

Could win 3-0 or lose 0-3..with very little in between!!

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t believe it’s Saturday morning abd I’ve put zero thought into what team I’d pick if I were DH!

No idea whether MM will go back 3 or back 4....but I do know that lumping balls towards Morrison and Nelson (and maybe Flint) is pretty pointless.

I would be v.tempted to swap out Mariappa at LB, but it’s with who that’s the problem.  

Vyner maybe???.....get young Vince on the bench to cover!

14 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Vyner maybe???.....get young Vince on the bench to cover!

For the Brentford game I would’ve gone with Hunt at LB.  but that was thinking that he’d be up against Mbuemo, cutting in.

So I’m not sure.

Ive seen nothing of Harper, bar a few u23 minutes here and there, but I would be tempted to start him.  Bizarre really.  But the whole balance of our play when Mariappa has it at his feet is compromised.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For the Brentford game I would’ve gone with Hunt at LB.  but that was thinking that he’d be up against Mbuemo, cutting in.

So I’m not sure.

Ive seen nothing of Harper, bar a few u23 minutes here and there, but I would be tempted to start him.  Bizarre really.  But the whole balance of our play when Mariappa has it at his feet is compromised.

Would absolutely love to see Vince start today- I've long been an admirer..

He's literally got pace to burn,,very athletic & quite able to use that to correct himself if necessary..just maybe lacking a little physicality.

Sadly I don't see Dean making that call(of starting him)..........

Would make my day to be proven wrong!!

Archived