IGNORED

Cardiff (H) - Sat 6th Feb 15:00 - Matchday thread

What will happen?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will City score?

3. 3. How many will Cardiff Score?

4. 4. Have you updated your Robins TV app?

5. 5. Do you like Polls in the matchday thread? (If there are questions people would like added or suggestions please reply/@prinny in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/21 at 15:01

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

What boils my blood is that these same stats were evident halfway through last season. Same trends - scoring goals through clinical strikers, but a low number of chances being created. Nothing was changed. We fired the number one bloke in charge of tactics, and appointed the number two in his place.

Then when games like Forest and Barnsley and Cardiff (A) come along early this season and show, clearly, that the problems hadn't been fixed in the summer. Nothing was changed.

Yes, injuries, yes covid, but honestly this was a dead season long before either of those things hit home.

Agree with much of your post, but do Reading create a great number of chances? Hell Swansea of late don't.

Might also say, we were definitely IIRC outperforming our last season average in that first 10- as for last season I was calling the alarm in November 2019, maybe sooner! Noting that our results/performance ratio looked unsustainable.

6 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Because Tinnion will be a much better asset in nurturing the younger players. The club needs an outside appointment to re-evaluate all aspects of the first team. Currently this lot are operating at less than the sum of their parts and that is one of the problems

Can't afford an outside at the moment. I'm talking about until the end of the season. If we aren't going up or down, who better to blood youngsters than Tinnion. Next season he can revert, as can Murray to washing the kit.

13 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Holden out, Ashton out, Downing the West Brom promotion winner out, Simpson out, Gilmartin out, Downsy out, medical staff out and Boy wonder out

Agree whole-heartedly.

Good thing you didn't include Madge, the tea-lady, in that list.

She has more cups than all of them put together.

Madge for manager!

1 minute ago, Robin101 said:

I think you can turn this on it’s head though. There is an expectation at Bristol City because we haven’t been a  top flight club for nearly 40 years.

Forty years since one of England’s biggest cities had ONE season in the top league.

No wonder people are impatient. People are just desperate for some success. It seems every club bar us has inadvertently found themselves in the top flight at some point. 

Perhaps.

I wasnt using it to slate our support in particular though, more of it being endemic in football more widely, hence the reference to Watford fans.

In their case the success (again, always relative) was when they got to the Premier League, now the minimum being expected by a large bunch is for them to be challenging for the title to get back up there. Being 5th and 8 points clear of 7th is unacceptable to a significant enough amount of fans that someone with a large following felt they needed to address it.

4 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

We were never quality. We had a game plan of sitting back and hitting teams on the break and nicking a few goals.  Then other teams worked that out and our one trick pony died a rapid death.   We have not looked cohesive or in control especially in terms of possession for longer than 20 minutes in any game that I can remember all season.  It’s been pretty much a group of individuals who can only sometimes remember what each other’s name is rather than a team who can pass the ball between each other and build any rhythm and pressure.  It’s been hands down the worst football I’ve seen in 10 years as a season ticket holder.  Lost patience now, utter rubbish

Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke games would suggest different- Nottingham Forest and Coventry we made fast starts but gradually got pinned back- hanging on in one, and finding a second wind in the other.

If we're talking about the first 4 anyway.

Just now, Superjack said:

Can't afford an outside at the moment. I'm talking about until the end of the season. If we aren't going up or down, who better to blood youngsters than Tinnion. Next season he can revert, as can Murray to washing the kit.

Both of the managers that I'd bring in currently aren't working, Get Howe (or Cook - to a lesser extent) in now, pay him what he wants, he's then got a 3rd of a season to treat as his pre-season for a proper go next year. Someone just to hold the tiller until the end of the season means at least a further season of a new manager creating his team. We've got nothing to lose by doing that

7 minutes ago, Superjack said:

May as well put Alex Ball in charge then, you know their actual coach for the u23's...

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Both of the managers that I'd bring in currently aren't working, Get Howe (or Cook - to a lesser extent) in now, pay him what he wants, he's then got a 3rd of a season to treat as his pre-season for a proper go next year. Someone just to hold the tiller until the end of the season means at least a further season of a new manager creating his team. We've got nothing to lose by doing that

"Pay him what he wants" when we would have to pay the contracts of this lot up and currently have no income?

Not gonna happen.

Two passionate Bristol City people already on the payroll who could instill some fight until the season's end, one of which knows the youngsters that we could use the time to blood inside out.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke games would suggest different- Nottingham Forest and Coventry we made fast starts but gradually got pinned back- hanging on in one, and finding a second wind in the other.

If we're talking about the first 4 anyway.

Stoke were the better side, Coventry who had just come up from League one dominated possession against us and would have won if they could score, against Wednesday we were actually half decent, and though I can’t even remember the forest game, really quoting those 4 games is the total  definition of clutching at straws.  Certainly wouldn’t suggest different- even if we had done ok in those 4 games, we’ve played shocking football for the vast majority of the season.  As I said, had enough now, time for a change. 

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Saw a tweet from Miles Jacobson last night or this morning about Watford fans complaining. 

He was pointing out this season is still almost certainly in their top 20 seasons ever. 

Now, as one of the younger ones on here I cannot compare to the days of yesteryear, but I feel like there's been an impatience that came in with all the sugardaddys that clubs have nowadays, but it doesn't just apply to the Man City's of the world, but the clubs lower down as well.

Once a club gets a taste of some success (this is always relative to the club) the fans demand more to come at, often, unreasonable rates.

In our case it was being top 6 a year after promotion. (As before that 23 game winless run, we were top 6 as late as Bonfire night), followed by top 2 at Christmas a year later, with Johnson actually having us overpeforming in terms of league position vs squad at that point.

So that became the expected norm.

Then we fail to get top 6, but because we had been 2nd at New Year (I dont know the exact dates) the previous season, then top 6 becomes the bare minimum acceptable, the expectation grows.

All that said, the club doesn't help itself when they stoke the expectations.

Of course, this is all speculation, before someone jumps on me.

I think it’s just that we’re shit.

The board have managed expectations appallingly, but as others have posted, it’s just not fun. When we were struggling in the 80s, when I started following them, you still felt part of something and displays just weren’t this inept.

Even during some lean spells in the 90s, you almost forgave the club because we didn’t have the resources to to really achieve more.

We have had every opportunity in the last 4 years (squad, facilities, results, momentum) to achieve something not seen since the 70s and yet poor coaching and poor board level direction, leadership and decision making has meant we have reached a point where the ‘brand’ is fast losing its appeal and we are yet again bereft of idea or direction.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The board have managed expectations appallingly, but as others have posted, it’s just not fun. When we were struggling in the 80s, when I started following them, you still felt part of something and displays just weren’t this inept.

Even during some lean spells in the 90s, you almost forgave the club because we didn’t have the resources to to really achieve more.

We have had every opportunity in the last 4 years (squad, facilities, results, momentum) to achieve something not seen since the 70s and yet poor coaching and poor board level direction, leadership and decision making has meant we have reached a point where the ‘brand’ is fast losing its appeal and we are yet again bereft of idea or direction.

Good post

3 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Stoke were the better side, Coventry who had just come up from League one dominated possession against us and would have won if they could score, against Wednesday we were actually half decent, and though I can’t even remember the forest game, really quoting those 4 games is the total  definition of clutching at straws.  Certainly wouldn’t suggest different- even if we had done ok in those 4 games, we’ve played shocking football for the vast majority of the season.  As I said, had enough now, time for a change. 

Think standard was alright averaged out in the first 10, well okay anyway but we've again averaged out, fallen off a cliff since- albeit with a few exceptions.

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Just to add that since the Hull playoff final we have not reached top 6 or even top 8 in this league. We do have a habit of bottling it or being ill prepared to continue a challenge when in s good position. But Preston and Millwall for example have had better finishes than us and you could consider us similar sized clubs, despite us having much larger crowds. Just feels like we will never get there.

15 minutes ago, Superjack said:

"Pay him what he wants" when we would have to pay the contracts of this lot up and currently have no income?

Not gonna happen.

Two passionate Bristol City people already on the payroll who could instill some fight until the season's end, one of which knows the youngsters that we could use the time to blood inside out.

I can think of a couple of short-term contracts that I’d end now, our acting full back for one...

If SL was recruiting a fund manager, he’d pay the market rate to bring in someone to make his company successful.

Should be no different now. Tinnions expertise are not at the first team level and I’d hate to do something that might affect his willingness to nurture the young talent in the future.

Does FFP include  staff salaries or just player outlay?

21 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Not gonna happen.

Sorry may have misunderstood you, but are you suggesting Brian Tinnion? That worked well last time...

16 minutes ago, 054123 said:

See my follow up post. I wasnt referring to our fans exclusively. 

40 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Well what achievements does your man Johnson have then ?

Did I miss something ?

Btw - Were you so pro Johnson during his reign 

Yes I didn’t need to come on here expressing my views or how unhappy I was, I fully enjoyed the cup run and coming close to the playoffs, alas he was unable to eventually get us into the playoffs and fell short, preferred his fathers time as manager 

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I can think of a couple of short-term contracts that I’d end now, our acting full back for one...

If SL was recruiting a fund manager, he’d pay the market rate to bring in someone to make his company successful.

Should be no different now. Tinnions expertise are not at the first team level and I’d hate to do something that might affect his willingness to nurture the young talent in the future.

I don't think stepping up in a caretaker capacity to the end of the season would affect the willingness of someone that has been at the club (on and off) since the early nineties.

I think our acting left-back was alright until he was told to act as a left-back.

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Sorry may have misunderstood you, but are you suggesting Brian Tinnion? That worked well last time...

Not beyond the summer, no.

Last time he was trying to manage his teammates.

I keep getting told that our league position doesn't require results this season. 

19 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Spot on.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

QPR, Brum, Wycombe, Coventry, Forest, Wednesday. 

In this league any team can pick up points against any other, we would realistically get a draw against any of the teams below us that I havent listed, even a couple of the ones above us.

1 win against 1 team I listed and draws in the others would be 8 points.

Are you that blindly deluded by negativity you think we will never win a game?

Reality not negativity, you're the deluded one

The interview of a man clearly out of his depth, and fast realising he isn’t up to the job. 

“I won’t disrespect the fans with sound bites and cliches......”

well you do this in every post match defeat and pre match presser  

”we will play fast, attacking football, like middlesboro away” 

Bar 15 mins vs Huddersfield away, it’s been inept, soulless, weak and pathetic all season  

24 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Includes it all- staff, coaching- costs of hiring (say compensation to another club), costs of firing- and so on.

Archived