IGNORED

New Low

TomThumb84

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

3 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

The point is, there is not anyone with any experience, character, ideas around recruitment, input into club culture, that will take the job.

In order for anyone to come in and “manage” there will need to be a relinquishment of responsibilities in other key roles that will not happen.

Read more  

In your opinion.

I believe that there are hundreds of well qualified ‘ coaches ‘ who would jump at the chance to take this club on. 

And without being pedantic, if there are hundreds that would “jump at the chance”, can you name a few? And why, in pure football terms, they were less qualified than Dean Holden?

The club is currently managing the Covid situation and avoiding the risk of plunging the club into financial difficulty. 

We are unlikely to go down and we aren’t over-committing ourselves which on paper is a very sensible thing to do.

However, as a supporter I look at the division this year and think that the quality isn’t as good as it has been in previous years. With a few decent acquisitions there is every opportunity for any club to make a realistic push for the Premier League.

In a way I am envious of Brentford because it looks like they might actually do it this season. I think they are serious when it comes to Premier League ambition. I don’t think we are. You can see clearly that this is about sustainability and getting our academy players into the first team to plug the holes.

Dean Holden is giving these players the opportunity and that is evident. I don’t think any experienced manager who wants success would want to go this route, but this is obviously the remit given to Dean and he is following the plan.

I haven’t seen any evidence that these youngsters are ready to mount a serious Premier League challenge. There are times when one or two have had a decent game, but the consistency isn’t there which is why we have some experienced heads in there to try and bring them on. At times though you can see the frustration of some of the experienced pros because the movement isn’t there, the choice of pass isn’t there, the positional awareness isn’t there, the creativity isn’t there and the confidence isn’t there. 

The quality of football is poor because we are blooding players who are learning on the job. Some will get better and some won’t be able to cut it. Also, with a horrific treatment table the constant shift in personnel makes it extremely difficult to play with any consistency. When we fill the gap with a young player we look vulnerable in certain areas. The experienced players are having to work harder to cover for mistakes and to me this is why we are unable to create many chances and start to become more and more ineffective as the game progresses.

We haven’t had a complete capitulation though which we had every season under Lee Johnson, but again I think that has a lot to do with the quality of the opposition in the division this season not being as strong as in previous years.

This is work in progress, but unfortunately for the fans it isn’t very entertaining to watch.

16 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Strangely I take some small comfort front this. As terrible as we’ve been, we’ve managed to put an extra three points between us and the 22nd club, and our relegation rivals like Coventry and QPR have only gained a point or two on us. 

17 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

This is worse than being in the Fourth Division!

I can remember the Fourth Division days and , as you say, this was far worse.  At least in those days you could see that the team was giving 100% and was trying to play good attacking football. Most of all there was HOPE.  We could see what Terry Cooper was trying to achieve. Now I don’t have any hope, just despair 

Do you think our next manager should be a foreign tactician, it seems the way ahead looking at the table and previous clubs promoted, instead of looking at the manager merry go round list.

Current Top Six

Norwich - Daniel Farke
Brentford - Thomas Frank
Swansea  - (Steve Cooper)
Reading - Veljko Paunovic
Watford - Xisco Munoz
Bournemouth - tba

Previous clubs, Leeds (Bielsa), Wolves (Nuno) West Brom (Bilic)
www.otibclothing.co.uk

55 minutes ago, Real Red said:

Do you think our next manager should be a foreign tactician, it seems the way ahead looking at the table and previous clubs promoted, instead of looking at the manager merry go round list.

Current Top Six

Norwich - Daniel Farke
Brentford - Thomas Frank
Swansea  - (Steve Cooper)
Reading - Veljko Paunovic
Watford - Xisco Munoz
Bournemouth - tba

Previous clubs, Leeds (Bielsa), Wolves (Nuno) West Brom (Bilic)
www.otibclothing.co.uk

No, just competent will do. 

It’s well documented regarding the mess the club are in (from an external perspective at least) and personally I think changes need to be made immediately to stop the rot.

regardless of injuries, the list of players we do have available are still good enough to challenge for a play off place but our coaching team are incapable of getting that out of them in training or on a match day, incapable of developing the ability of our players albeit that’s more my opinion as it’s harder to judge, and are clearly tactically inept. (If you have no left back, don’t play a formation that requires a left back that enables the opposition exploit is easily due to using a player out of position.

IMO, we need a MANAGER. One who can make clear and concise decisions, knows what he’s doing tactically but also with experience, has a track record of developing players and an ability to win games in a variety of ways. For me, Paul Cook is an ideal replacement for Holden. Has proven on field success in the championship and has proven to develop players like joe Williams, now at our club and Anthony Robinson, now playing in the prem. I think he could get the best out of our squad and have us fighting at the right end of the table and beyond.

In addition to Cook as manager, the coaching team needs reassessing IMO along with the medical team regardless of how fantastic they apparently are. There are clear issues there.

What we definitely need is a Director of Football. This person would not only be responsible for overwatching development of players, coaching, management, but could truely investigate the mess around injuries.

The most important role a FOF would offer however is to remove Mark Ashton from player recruitment and negotiation and by having a proper football person as DOF and not an accountant, maybe we won’t have the contractual issues we’ve had and maybe recruitment and scouting will improve.

I don’t see the man at the top getting rid of MA but at least shuffle him off to Bristol Sport and away from football related activities at Bristol City.

i feel

all of this needs to be done ASAP as we are only 11 points off relegation and looking at the next 4/5 league games, we could be a lot closer by the end of them. Trigger needs to be pulled now.

The club is in a mess and it stems from management in all forms 

59 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

It’s well documented regarding the mess the club are in (from an external perspective at least) and personally I think changes need to be made immediately to stop the rot.

regardless of injuries, the list of players we do have available are still good enough to challenge for a play off place but our coaching team are incapable of getting that out of them in training or on a match day, incapable of developing the ability of our players albeit that’s more my opinion as it’s harder to judge, and are clearly tactically inept. (If you have no left back, don’t play a formation that requires a left back that enables the opposition exploit is easily due to using a player out of position.

IMO, we need a MANAGER. One who can make clear and concise decisions, knows what he’s doing tactically but also with experience, has a track record of developing players and an ability to win games in a variety of ways. For me, Paul Cook is an ideal replacement for Holden. Has proven on field success in the championship and has proven to develop players like joe Williams, now at our club and Anthony Robinson, now playing in the prem. I think he could get the best out of our squad and have us fighting at the right end of the table and beyond.

In addition to Cook as manager, the coaching team needs reassessing IMO along with the medical team regardless of how fantastic they apparently are. There are clear issues there.

What we definitely need is a Director of Football. This person would not only be responsible for overwatching development of players, coaching, management, but could truely investigate the mess around injuries.

The most important role a FOF would offer however is to remove Mark Ashton from player recruitment and negotiation and by having a proper football person as DOF and not an accountant, maybe we won’t have the contractual issues we’ve had and maybe recruitment and scouting will improve.

I don’t see the man at the top getting rid of MA but at least shuffle him off to Bristol Sport and away from football related activities at Bristol City.

i feel

all of this needs to be done ASAP as we are only 11 points off relegation and looking at the next 4/5 league games, we could be a lot closer by the end of them. Trigger needs to be pulled now.

The club is in a mess and it stems from management in all forms 

Agree with most of what you say but unless we fail to halt the slide this month I cannot see things changing anytime soon. SL may consider action in the summer but that s not set in stone, may well let things run up to this time next year.

I think it will be mostly players leaving this summer and the new "young guns" (cheap) will be brought in to go with whats left from the summer clear out/exit and a few loanees also, that are left in the bottom of the barrel after everyone else has taken the best.

So sorry but dont expect a change anytime soon.

(I`m sure mods will move your post if it needs to be moved),

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

The club is currently managing the Covid situation and avoiding the risk of plunging the club into financial difficulty. 

We are unlikely to go down and we aren’t over-committing ourselves which on paper is a very sensible thing to do.

However, as a supporter I look at the division this year and think that the quality isn’t as good as it has been in previous years. With a few decent acquisitions there is every opportunity for any club to make a realistic push for the Premier League.

In a way I am envious of Brentford because it looks like they might actually do it this season. I think they are serious when it comes to Premier League ambition. I don’t think we are. You can see clearly that this is about sustainability and getting our academy players into the first team to plug the holes.

Dean Holden is giving these players the opportunity and that is evident. I don’t think any experienced manager who wants success would want to go this route, but this is obviously the remit given to Dean and he is following the plan.

I haven’t seen any evidence that these youngsters are ready to mount a serious Premier League challenge. There are times when one or two have had a decent game, but the consistency isn’t there which is why we have some experienced heads in there to try and bring them on. At times though you can see the frustration of some of the experienced pros because the movement isn’t there, the choice of pass isn’t there, the positional awareness isn’t there, the creativity isn’t there and the confidence isn’t there. 

The quality of football is poor because we are blooding players who are learning on the job. Some will get better and some won’t be able to cut it. Also, with a horrific treatment table the constant shift in personnel makes it extremely difficult to play with any consistency. When we fill the gap with a young player we look vulnerable in certain areas. The experienced players are having to work harder to cover for mistakes and to me this is why we are unable to create many chances and start to become more and more ineffective as the game progresses.

We haven’t had a complete capitulation though which we had every season under Lee Johnson, but again I think that has a lot to do with the quality of the opposition in the division this season not being as strong as in previous years.

This is work in progress, but unfortunately for the fans it isn’t very entertaining to watch.

The standard is definitely lower and it is frustrating to see us not 'cash-in' on that but I don't think things are anywhere near as bad as some are making out. I really think Holden was a man appointed for the 'Covid season' and we will go and get a decent manager for next season. Things can change very quickly and have done in the past when people have called for x,y and z to leave the club - only to find we go from bottom of league 1 to being promoted. Hopefully the foundations are being laid again for next season and a better manager can come in and improve it all.

Nice to see a post not automatically called for everyone to be sacked.

Archived