IGNORED

Season Ticket Renewals

Jeez

Definitely renew. If there’s one thing watching city through lockdown has made me realise, is the football is not the main reason I go. In fact, it’s almost irrelevant. 

The prematch beers, the jokes and laughter, catching up with mates, the smells and the chants, the quick beer at half time checking the scores, the debrief after as you walk back to the pub, the highs and lows of supporting your local team through thick and thin. That what’s its all about for me and no manager or current style of play will ever stop me enjoying all that. 

Cant wait to get back personally. 

In spite of the absolute dross and lack of enjoyment, not renewing hasn’t crossed my mind. I’m lucky enough to have not (yet) had finances impacted by Covid and I have no truck with anyone not renewing both in the current football and financial circumstances.

For me, Ashton Gate is home. I spent my childhood there, I’ve taken my kids there. I’ve had great days and really bad days but I just can’t not go. Most of all, it’s the place I’ll always most associate with my dad. His names on the statue and on the wall, but his spirits in the place so it’s where I’ll go to remember him. One of the last things he said was lamenting never going to AG again - even though the football was shit!

Thats one of the reasons why I hate what’s happening at the moment with negative disinterested football. Holden, Ashton, Downing and “Simmo” will go. They’ll get other jobs, have taken more money out than merited and won’t give a second thought to bcfc. Us that are left will keep going regardless. They’ve got us by the bollocks either way. They could at least try entertaining us while they do.

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`ll renew as always. i`ve seen a lot worse and a bit better occasionally. This is just a minor bump in the road compared to some of our history.

Exactly - you get a lot of this it’s the worst ever bollox. Not even close and in terms of league position with recent history it’s one of our best (ie we aren’t in league one!). 

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

In spite of the absolute dross and lack of enjoyment, not renewing hasn’t crossed my mind. I’m lucky enough to have not (yet) had finances impacted by Covid and I have no truck with anyone not renewing both in the current football and financial circumstances.

For me, Ashton Gate is home. I spent my childhood there, I’ve taken my kids there. I’ve had great days and really bad days but I just can’t not go. Most of all, it’s the place I’ll always most associate with my dad. His names on the statue and on the wall, but his spirits in the place so it’s where I’ll go to remember him. One of the last things he said was lamenting never going to AG again - even though the football was shit!

Thats one of the reasons why I hate what’s happening at the moment with negative disinterested football. Holden, Ashton, Downing and “Simmo” will go. They’ll get other jobs, have taken more money out than merited and won’t give a second thought to bcfc. Us that are left will keep going regardless. They’ve got us by the bollocks either way. They could at least try entertaining us while they do.

I agree re. having us by the bollocks...my much missed brother's name is on the statue - a prolific and enthusiastic poster on here back in the day!

For me the question is whether to invest up front and make life easier for our complacent owner, or pay as you go when things pick up. Back in the distant past few of us had STs - and when things were bad the attendance figures made the powers that be pay a bit more attention to what they were serving up on the pitch and motivating people to come through the gates. I feel mugged off as a ST holder under the current regime...totally taken for granted.

I’ve had enough. It’s not the crap football - We’ve had enough of that over the years and I still kept coming back to support the team. It’s the fact that we have no ambition in terms of getting a decent manager who can take us forward. SL seems to support the club in terms of signing players but when it comes to the most important signing - the manager -  he always opts for the cheap and compliant option.

The final straw for me was when he said we needed a “breath of fresh air” following the dismissal of LJ and spent five weeks interviewing some top candidates only to then appoint Dean Holden who was the assistant manager in the previous failed regime, has no managerial experience and has never won anything. Just about sums up the ambition of Bristol City, But hey, never mind, he is cheap and will do as he’s told.

Well now with the chickens are coming home to roost.

21 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I agree re. having us by the bollocks...my much missed brother's name is on the statue - a prolific and enthusiastic poster on here back in the day!

For me the question is whether to invest up front and make life easier for our complacent owner, or pay as you go when things pick up. Back in the distant past few of us had STs - and when things were bad the attendance figures made the powers that be pay a bit more attention to what they were serving up on the pitch and motivating people to come through the gates. I feel mugged off as a ST holder under the current regime...totally taken for granted.

Very true but with a 27,000 seater capacity stadium you no longer have to have a season ticket to watch the match. If you feel you are being mugged off you can pick and choose which matches you attend, if any.

This thread confirms our income stream is just about dry and so....

1) not buying anyone significant or renewing any significant contracts was the right decision in the January window

2) there is a very REAL threat of this club folding (along with many others outside the Prem TV money)

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Definitely renew. If there’s one thing watching city through lockdown has made me realise, is the football is not the main reason I go. In fact, it’s almost irrelevant. 

The prematch beers, the jokes and laughter, catching up with mates, the smells and the chants, the quick beer at half time checking the scores, the debrief after as you walk back to the pub, the highs and lows of supporting your local team through thick and thin. That what’s its all about for me and no manager or current style of play will ever stop me enjoying all that. 

Cant wait to get back personally. 

For me I'll meet up with friends but have no interest in blindly watching the side 

We've been awful to watch for a while now, if a film was shit people wouldn't pay to watch it!!

It's not just about Holden, we were awful to watch under LJ too

This lockdown has made me realise there's so much more away from football.

I’ve just cancelled the direct debit for my Season Card. Despite being furloughed I did the right thing I thought, by keeping going and paying to watch games on Robins

I’ve supported City since running on the pitch as a kid when we beat Portsmouth to go up to the old First Division. I was there when we beat Arsenal in our first game in Div One at Highbury. 

Ive missed not being there, but I’m sure that someone from the club will no doubt blame the lack of fans at the game as one of the reasons for the defeat.  The performance today. Despite the injuries, we had enough to beat Cardiff, and yet I can’t be bothered to listen to Holden droning on giving his take 

Im going to go cold Turkey and resist watching the next couple of games because what’s happening at the Gate actually saddens me, and for now I won’t be renewing because I don’t see us being allowed back any time soon. Also whilst  Ashton is there all I see is a corporate animal who sees us as an entry on his CV

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`ll renew as always. i`ve seen a lot worse and a bit better occasionally. This is just a minor bump in the road compared to some of our history.

How many seasons is a minor bump?

The football on show has been awful for years.

The difference in the past was we didn't have a pot to piss in. Now we're blindly backing the wrong employees when others with less money show what could be achieved 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

For me I'll meet up with friends but have no interest in blindly watching the side 

We've been awful to watch for a while now, if a film was shit people wouldn't pay to watch it!!

It's not just about Holden, we were awful to watch under LJ too

This lockdown has made me realise there's so much more away from football.

This is it for me as well. I’m still going to meet my friends before hand but whether I bother with a season ticket is open to question. Not being able to watch us getting another hammering in the freezing cold followed by a drenching on the way to the station after has made me realise there is so much more that 400 quid could be used for.

Whilst Ashton is still there earning, or should I say getting paid that sort of money, it’s a no from me.

The difficult bit will be persuading my kid.  Actually it’s about the only place she’s not embarrassed to be seen with me, so I probably will end of renewing.

2 hours ago, Red Alert said:

It’s usually about Feb/Mar the club start rolling out the renewals given the uncertainty it will hopefully be pushed back until we know the outlook for attending football.

Hypothetically, if asked now what would you do? 

Who’s renewing, who’s on the fence & who’s going to renew regardless?

havent had an ounce of value past 3 season. i have better things to do with my life now, plus the hilarious congestion charge , just too much hassle now

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Exactly - you get a lot of this it’s the worst ever bollox. Not even close and in terms of league position with recent history it’s one of our best (ie we aren’t in league one!). 

Forget the emotional outbursts from disappointed fans, Covid is what will hit attendances.....big time in my view.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Sadly taken his eye off the running of the club and years of stagnation has kicked in and will take a long time to turn it around 

Not sure I agree with that - things can change very quickly in football. New season out of those nonsense with a non COVID manager and who knows what will happen.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Forget the emotional outbursts from disappointed fans, Covid is what will hit attendances.....big time in my view.

I don’t think it will - think people are sick of it all and ready to get back on with living. 

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Not sure I agree with that - things can change very quickly in football. New season out of those nonsense with a non COVID manager and who knows what will happen.

I don’t think it will - think people are sick of it all and ready to get back on with living. 

Some people, many people no longer have a job and might just keep the cash right now. A few people will still be scared of mass gatherings and a few will decide they just don’t miss it any more.....imo.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Some people, many people no longer have a job and might just keep the cash right now. A few people will still be scared of mass gatherings and a few will decide they just don’t miss it any more.....imo.

There will of course be these people but overall I don’t think it will be big numbers overall. Guess we will find out next season.

Would be interested to know if attendances signicabtly dipped after financial crisis in 2008 - don’t recall much. 

Archived