IGNORED

Mark Ashton is taking the piss out of us.

DaveInSA

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’s “in charge of all football matters”. 

We don’t have a 1st Team Manager. 
We don’t have a Head of Recruitment. 
We don’t have a Chief Scout. 
We don’t have a Director of Football. 

We have 1 person who is in control of everything. So, when footballing performances and results are poor, the person who is self confessed “in charge of all football matters”, is surely the one who is responsible. 

Indeed, and all he has to do when it gets too hot is get rid of the Head Coach again and reinstall another firewall.

I can see the scenario when MA schooled DH into what he needed to say at the interview to become the standout applicant. DH is on a no lose situation he gives it a go if it works great if not he is out of a job with a nice years pay. Whilst MA has his man in the job working within MA's dictate and who is not going to undermine him to SL

1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

I really dont understand the hate for Ashton. No way does he make the main decisions. SL makes those, always has and always will while he putting HIS money in to the club

He is, in the club's words, in control of all day to day football operations. If he isn't in fact responsible for anything why are we paying him £500k a year?

He employed Holden to secure his position and maintain power and control.....he knew a yes man with limited depth who will be in his debt would work in his favour.

Mark Ashton priority is not getting Bristol city promoted or our financial footing, his priority will always be Mark Ashton and every decision he makes that ois his number 1 priority.....and we the fans are paying the price for it.

No other championship club operates in this way giving a top job to someone so unqualified they wouldn't even be in the betting hat for a league 2 vacancy.

Had enough of it now if you think I'm spending my hard earned cash to wstch this shit anymore they can do one.

Ashton you are taking the piss out of all of us you slimy second hand knock off Nigel dodgy 2nd hand car salesman tory politician spin machine.

Get out of the club!!!!

1 hour ago, City1970 said:

We never made the Premiership. The amount of money the club have spent over the years including the cost of the academy, I would have expected Premiership football by now. 

Championship is a very expensive League. That said others have done more with less but simply looking at expenditure, it isn't really that relevant a marker in some respects.

It also overlooks the fact that we've had to fast track certain things- many other clubs had corporate revenue, higher revenue streams, better training grounds before we did- that expenditure was in some ways starting to bring us up to speed....arguably our Academy needed work too.

...How it is spent, this is an issue! Think we need to look at the Fitness and Medical teams, Recruitment and Scouting setups and the Coaching etc.

Had we rolled the dice in January 2008, maybe we would have done it- before any of this catchup on the Infrastructure side.

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He is, in the club's words, in control of all day to day football operations. If he isn't in fact responsible for anything why are we paying him £500k a year?

Indeed. An absolute scandalous salary by the way - I wouldn’t pay the *** £30k a year let alone £500k!!!!!!

Ashton is no puppet. Steve Lansdown is a very busy man.  He has delegated the football side of things to this clever gentleman. 

Now to understand what Ashton is actually all about I implore anyone who really wants to know to read  'Broken Dreams - Vanity, greed and the souring of British Football' by Tom Bower.  It is researched fact, not a fictitious novel. And even this is the tip of the iceberg.  It doesn't matter what the quality of the players involved in the transfers actually is, just that they happen on a regular and unecessary basis .  The kick backs are enormous and all the people involved in the deals are on the take.  If you are not people think there is something wrong, they sniff a rat, you can't play the game, so you take.  So the estimated £500k basic pay is by no means only what he is on.   The odd quality 'bit of business' signing whether it is a sale or purchase is necessary to cover the tracks.

I don't usually make a long post like this but the fact that there is no hierarchy, no-one to pull him up on anything, and I mean anything, means that until he is gone this club will not go forward.  This CEO is not working for Bristol City Football Club. 

2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

This is an Ashton out thread...

....why?

1) Overseen the most injuries in one season in living memory

2) The players purchased are getting worse season after season the quality of the squad, is trousers.

3) The league position is getting worse season after season

4) The football is so awful I refuse to watch it

5) The coaches appointed are not good enough

6) We're overweight in midfield, with absolutely not good enough players

7) We buy players with no thought of a system or way of playing

? Where is our next 8million plus player sale coming from

9) What is the actual plan

And because all roads lead to Ashton, all roads in turn lead to Lansdown.

Steve and Jon, get your house in order lads. Get rid of this leech and get some well respected football people in. Perhaps then we might make some progress.

Roads will be leading to Lansdown shortly. 

You are correct in that Mark Ashton is a big part of the problem. Is the bloke on the Channel Islands that bothered is my question? Today was a Derby game and that was the most spineless, gutless performance we could possibly have mustered. I think today broke new ground in terms of lack of performance. I have defended Dean Holden but that today was indefensible in every way. That wasn’t 70 minutes of total shit with 20 minutes of play thrown in, that was just 90 minutes of pure dross. Until the guy in Guernsey decides he is unhappy nothing changes at his football club.

22 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

He employed Holden to secure his position and maintain power and control.....he knew a yes man with limited depth who will be in his debt would work in his favour.

Mark Ashton priority is not getting Bristol city promoted or our financial footing, his priority will always be Mark Ashton and every decision he makes that ois his number 1 priority.....and we the fans are paying the price for it.

No other championship club operates in this way giving a top job to someone so unqualified they wouldn't even be in the betting hat for a league 2 vacancy.

Had enough of it now if you think I'm spending my hard earned cash to wstch this shit anymore they can do one.

Ashton you are taking the piss out of all of us you slimy second hand knock off Nigel dodgy 2nd hand car salesman tory politician spin machine.

Get out of the club!!!!

In your first line there lies the truth. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You are correct in that Mark Ashton is a big part of the problem. Is the bloke on the Channel Islands that bothered is my question? Today was a Derby game and that was the most spineless, gutless performance we could possibly have mustered. I think today broke new ground in terms of lack of performance. I have defended Dean Holden but that today was indefensible in every way. That wasn’t 70 minutes of total shit with 20 minutes of play thrown in, that was just 90 minutes of pure dross. Until the guy in Guernsey decides he is unhappy nothing changes at his football club.

Doesn’t even look like a Lansdown exit strategy at the mo. Just looks like no strategy 

7 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Ashton is no puppet. Steve Lansdown is a very busy man.  He has delegated the football side of things to this clever gentleman. 

Now to understand what Ashton is actually all about I implore anyone who really wants to know to read  'Broken Dreams - Vanity, greed and the souring of British Football' by Tom Bower.  It is researched fact, not a fictitious novel. And even this is the tip of the iceberg.  It doesn't matter what the quality of the players involved in the transfers actually is, just that they happen on a regular and unecessary basis .  The kick backs are enormous and all the people involved in the deals are on the take.  If you are not people think there is something wrong, they sniff a rat, you can't play the game, so you take.  So the estimated £500k basic pay is by no means only what he is on.   The odd quality 'bit of business' signing whether it is a sale or purchase is necessary to cover the tracks.

I don't usually make a long post like this but the fact that there is no hierarchy, no-one to pull him up on anything, and I mean anything, means that until he is gone this club will not go forward.  This CEO is not working for Bristol City Football Club. 

On a wider point I read a few weeks back that Fifa has been sitting on a report on corruption in the transfer market for at least 18 months.

Too many people are doing too well out of it for anybody to act though.

33 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Get out of the club!!!!

Some of this I agree with some of it not!

1 He would have to be trying to be pretty clever if this was his thought process, knowing he will be blamed for Dean Holden’s failure. However the thought that a seasoned manager would accept control of a football CEO is divorced from reality, nevertheless we don’t know how much Ashton exerts control over Holden, with team selections or suggested signings.

2 Most peoples number one priority is themselves and their family, is Bristol City Mark Ashton’s main priority, I doubt that, before himself (and family), that makes him the same as most of us!

3 Unqualified. I think you are referring to Holden? I think he is as qualified as most managers academically (coaching etc). Experienced, nah, nowhere near enough. It was the exact same punt as hiring LJ. If it comes off its a great move, but the likelihood of failure has increased. Let’s face it most of our team were signed under LJ and are currently producing the same dross!

4 Yeah I turned over to watch the Rugby. I paid at the start of the season, so my money is in, but having watched utter garbage for four years has taken its toll. Nevertheless I’ll be back on Wednesday!

5 Mark Ashton will need to take a huge slice of blame for what is going on. I get it we have injuries, but there is no excuse for an inability to make a forward pass by any professional of any age.

6 I expect him gone at the end of the season

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Mr Lansdown doesn’t like admitting he got it wrong 

The supporters could see from space that appointing Dean Holden as manager was going to result in, at best, a continuation of the colourless displays and poor results we endured under Lee Johnson given he was so closely associated with the previous regime.

I keep hearing people say SL doesn’t want top-flight football. That might be true but surely he doesn’t want L1 football? Perhaps not this season but that is the way it is heading if we keep on down this road.

Archived