IGNORED

Mark Ashton is taking the piss out of us.

DaveInSA

26 minutes ago, bris red said:

Indeed. An absolute scandalous salary by the way - I wouldn’t pay the *** £30k a year let alone £500k!!!!!!

Don't know if it's that out of kilter with the market rate for that position, at this level- in the South at a club with the infrastructure we have- £30m Business if we include the Group.

Not defending, but it seems like it isn't wildly excessive in that context.

4 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

Lansdowns choice

Was it WTGR?

As I remember last summer, MA and JL interviewed all candidates and 'recommended DH as the outstanding puppet candidate' to SL. I assume SLs part of the process is little more than a box ticking exercise TBH.

I may well be wrong and SL is a great deal more 'hands on' than I thought but his CEO runs the club as far as I know while SL funds it. 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Was it WTGR?

As I remember last summer, MA and JL interviewed all candidates and 'recommended DH as the outstanding puppet candidate' to SL. I assume SLs part of the process is little more than a box ticking exercise TBH.

I may well be wrong and SL is a great deal more 'hands on' than I thought but his CEO runs the club as far as I know while SL funds it. 

SL makes all the decisions mate, Mark Ashton would have wanted a top quality coach because it’s not his money. Trust me what we here that Happens is rarely what actually happens. 

holden could of worked out but it hasn’t, time for change. Just don’t see why Ashton gets the stick? 

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ashtons a puppet , with Lansdown the puppet master

He does what the boss wants , and picks up his £500k

Holden was a Jon and Steve Lansdown appointment 

well done ok GIF

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Was it WTGR?

Reckon he became a lot less hands on when he went to Guernsey, but purely a hunch.

Ashton aside...I have a lot less faith in JL than I had in SL. If SL officially retires and puts JL in charge...don't have a good feeling about that prospect!

9 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

SL makes all the decisions mate, Mark Ashton would have wanted a top quality coach because it’s not his money. Trust me what we here that Happens is rarely what actually happens. 

holden could of worked out but it hasn’t, time for change. Just don’t see why Ashton gets the stick? 

Our recruitment is dog turd, that might be why? 

7 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

We're being spun something terrible then aren't we?

As I said earlier mate, I hold MA responsible as he runs the football club for SL as I understood it. You clearly know more than I do and we agree that it clearly hasn't worked. Whether we will see imminent change I tend to err on the side of 'non' even though us fans can clearly see it's required.

I really do feel for DH as he's clearly not a no 1 and has been hung out to dry a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reckon he became a lot less hands on when he went to Guernsey, but purely a hunch.

Ashton aside...I have a lot less faith in JL than I had in SL. If SL officially retires and puts JL in charge...don't have a good feeling about that prospect!

That's how I see it Mr P but, like you, I'm making an assumption and don't actually know. 

3 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

We're miles apart in league status and stature but have the same problem both teams have shite managers but at least you don't have a crook as a chairman!

We're still likely to be trading in a fortnight ST! 

Sorry pal, I couldn't resist it and that was a cruel comment. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

He’s “in charge of all football matters”. 

We don’t have a 1st Team Manager. 
We don’t have a Head of Recruitment. 
We don’t have a Chief Scout. 
We don’t have a Director of Football. 

We have 1 person who is in control of everything. So, when footballing performances and results are poor, the person who is self confessed “in charge of all football matters”, is surely the one who is responsible. 

100%. That’s how it works in any other organisation/company, 

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's how I see it Mr P but, like you, I'm making an assumption and don't actually know. 

We're all guessing really Ska- just a gut feeling tells me though that if/when JL formally inherits the club, it won't be good...

I say it won't be good, more like it'll get worse. Didn't JL step up when SL moved to Guernsey in the early 2010's? That went well...?

24 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. And the mugs in our support will fall for it hook, line and sinker and direct all their frustrations at the Head Coach.

Again.

Meanwhile “Teflon” will be picking up £12k per week and a further £50k in the old pension pot. Nice work if you can get it............

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't know if it's that out of kilter with the market rate for that position, at this level- in the South at a club with the infrastructure we have- £30m Business if we include the Group.

Not defending, but it seems like it isn't wildly excessive in that context.

In the real world that’s a £300k or thereabouts salary and if the business is not delivering you get slung out by the shareholders...........but, of course, this is football we are talking about.

20 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

Agreed. You would think instead of wasting money every week, many years later we wouldn't fork out for a proven manager and a performing squad. I should imagine, once covid over, many fans wont want to waste their hard earned families money every week. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

In the real world that’s a £300k or thereabouts salary and if the business is not delivering you get slung out by the shareholders...........but, of course, this is football we are talking about.

And its us the fans who are paying for it.

57 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Ashton is no puppet. Steve Lansdown is a very busy man.  He has delegated the football side of things to this clever gentleman. 

Now to understand what Ashton is actually all about I implore anyone who really wants to know to read  'Broken Dreams - Vanity, greed and the souring of British Football' by Tom Bower.  It is researched fact, not a fictitious novel. And even this is the tip of the iceberg.  It doesn't matter what the quality of the players involved in the transfers actually is, just that they happen on a regular and unecessary basis .  The kick backs are enormous and all the people involved in the deals are on the take.  If you are not people think there is something wrong, they sniff a rat, you can't play the game, so you take.  So the estimated £500k basic pay is by no means only what he is on.   The odd quality 'bit of business' signing whether it is a sale or purchase is necessary to cover the tracks.

I don't usually make a long post like this but the fact that there is no hierarchy, no-one to pull him up on anything, and I mean anything, means that until he is gone this club will not go forward.  This CEO is not working for Bristol City Football Club. 

It is an excellent if somewhat disconcerting read. Highly recommended reading for anyone who wants to understand the ‘business ‘ side of the game.

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I don't disagree- but then it's hard to find comparables for clubs at this level- I looked at Reading who are having a bit of a spurt this year but last 3 they finished bottom third or bottom half- in excess of £1m! Think it was something in the range of £1-1.5m! South adds a premium...football is a ludicrous sector from a pure business angle of course it is. Hard to find Southern Championship top half, non Parachute, midtable clubs with our level of infrastructure to compare all that well IMO.

Cardiff and Swansea maybe...but again Parachute Payments even if the Geographical looks a bit closer?

1 minute ago, ontariored said:

And its us the fans who are paying for it.

I’m sure people will point out we pay a very small proportion of it but regardless of that if the guy was delivering something special you would accept the money he is being paid as necessary expenditure to get results. If he’s delivering results I sure don’t want to see what happens when he’s failing!!

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't disagree- but then it's hard to find comparables for clubs at this level- I looked at Reading who are having a bit of a spurt this year but last 3 they finished bottom third or bottom half- in excess of £1m! Think it was something in the range of £1-1.5m! South adds a premium...football is a ludicrous sector from a pure business angle of course it is. Hard to find Southern Championship top half, non Parachute, midtable clubs with our level of infrastructure to compare all that well IMO. 

If ever a sector needs a realignment post Covid it’s football.

Archived