IGNORED

Mark Ashton is taking the piss out of us.

DaveInSA

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sorry but that’s rubbish. The only good business in football is the premier league . If you think he’s happy propping up £20m losses every season , you’re very much mistaken 

In theory, bouncing between the two divisions ie this League and League One could- thinking pre Covid times, when you factor in off  the pitch revenues have been a route to minimised losses, if we were to plan for it- and buy in as a club ie budgeting for that eventuality, selling key players as and when, utilising Cup runs etc.

Likewise top half League One, with a productive academy- let alone the Salary Cap in League One, no doubt losses and his funding could be pushed right down in that scenario.

59 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

We are a paying tenant in his South Bristol Real Estate / Sports venture - nothing more than an attraction to the new owners, with Prem football the key incentive - but secondary to the undeveloped AV potential remaining.

Just on this bit.

How much is the Rent- is it reflected in Operating Leases? I suspect it isn't that much. Although that said, Ground Rent and Service Charges are interesting...certainly seems not to be reflected in Operating Leases any notional High rent for the Football Club though.

By new owners, are you referring as you have before to US Owners. Will it actually likely benefit the club? Based on US Owners in the UK, the jury feels out- don't know if they would come in and splash the cash, certainly their own.

On the other hand, if they treat it as an Investment- quite a lot of US Owners getting into English football at least have it in the back of the mind- they might at least make sure (within reasonable budgets of course) that the Medical, Scouting, Coaching, Development and Recruitment are as good as they can possibly be.

US Owners/investors though...I'm cautious about.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on this bit.

How much is the Rent- is it reflected in Operating Leases? I suspect it isn't that much. Although that said, Ground Rent and Service Charges are interesting...certainly seems not to be reflected in Operating Leases any notional High rent for the Football Club though.

By new owners, are you referring as you have before to US Owners. Will it actually likely benefit the club? Based on US Owners in the UK, the jury feels out- don't know if they would come in and splash the cash, certainly their own.

On the other hand, if they treat it as an Investment- quite a lot of US Owners getting into English football at least have it in the back of the mind- they might at least make sure (within reasonable budgets of course) that the Medical, Scouting, Coaching, Development and Recruitment are as good as they can possibly be.

US Owners/investors though...I'm cautious about.

Hey Mr P

You have the same issue that a lot of us have.

We love Bristol City Football Club.

People won't be buying the club, they will be buying the stadium, offices, houses and undeveloped land.

The football is an attraction along with Rugby and Basketball. Concerts and Comic-Cons. Weddings and Conventions.

The incentive comes from Premiership football money + marketing the brand. Shiny shirts, massive mugs, over-priced Easter-Eggs.

To have the Prem as a carrot, Lansdown needs us in the Championship. He is now spending as little as possible to do so (see the old players now signing) and off-loading all assets with value.

The infrastructure is 75% - 80% complete.

Still some PP outstanding, and to be submitted as i understand it. Plus 'change of use' permission for the Arena.

Consortiums I was told about are from USA and China. No Middle-eastern as yet.

It's all word of mouth, business contacts, no 'done deals'.

Don't forget, we are talking £1.5 Billion minimum, I'd have thought. Probably more. Hence the PP outcomes, and ones yet to be submitted.

All allegedly of course.

Don't want to club hassling Tom again.

6 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

People won't be buying the club, they will be buying the stadium, offices, houses and undeveloped land.

I have absolutely no insight but I'm sure what you say is true, there is so much outside interest from around the world in buying clubs at this level, I would also imagine suitors exist.

However, what you say above is not necessarily true. In fact prospective buyers (partilcularly US ones) may be doing the opposite - offering those assets up to third parties as part of a heavily-leveraged buyout loaded with debt and commiting to sell on assets, as a cute way to fund a deal.

In that regard SL should be considered a fine custodian of the club, leaving us free of real external debt or dark shady transactions which quietly strip out value as has been disasterous for clubs that have gone to the wall.

This makes it all the more sad that poor judgement in the current hierarchy is making it necessary for us to contemplate the possibilities of different investment or ownership.

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

I have absolutely no insight but I'm sure what you say is true, there is so much outside interest from around the world in buying clubs at this level, I would also imagine suitors exist.

However, what you say above is not necessarily true. In fact prospective buyers (partilcularly US ones) may be doing the opposite - offering those assets up to third parties as part of a heavily-leveraged buyout loaded with debt and commiting to sell on assets, as a cute way to fund a deal.

In that regard SL should be considered a fine custodian of the club, leaving us free of real external debt or dark shady transactions which quietly strip out value as has been disasterous for clubs that have gone to the wall.

This makes it all the more sad that poor judgement in the current hierarchy is making it necessary for us to contemplate the possibilities of different investment or ownership.

No doubt.

As demonstrated in his business life, SL will do the best for him and his. As he should.

BCFC is just a small thing to him.

To us it is everything.

Lets hope any new owner is a fan of football AND business.

Or, as you say things may not be any better.

I remain confident that any new buyer, whoever they may be, will seek the ££ and promotional advantages that the Prem will offer.

Especially as traditional clubs who are for sale are struggling - Derby for example.

The location, wealth and future prospects of Bristol and it's environs are also very,very attractive to a future buyer. 

I would think the 'prospect of future returns' make the BS / AV project very appealing to a stable, astute investment entity. Both in land / real estate options, but also the City itself, potential for further ££ growth, and being in a damn nice part of the world.

Plus a 40,000 seater stadium would be full every week for both teams if City do go up, and the Bears stay put. Should the Atyeo expansion commence (light restrictions withstanding).

Will be an interesting next 4-5 years.  Covid permitting.

49 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Remember when the club put out the rumour that Hughton hadn’t performed well in interview?! ???

I suspect that Hughtons Forest will soon overtake us in the league. We can only wonder what he could have done with our squad but in saying that I really hope that DH can turn things around.

14 hours ago, BigTone said:

Of course  :dunno: ?‍♂️

Given there have been few, if any, contact injuries as a result of tussles with opponents - which would be difficult as we never seem to get within 5 yards of them -  I assume you must be thinking all these injuries are a result of domestic incidents like dropping barbecues on one’s feet and so forth.

I’d offer to go on the Club’s ‘Injuries Investigation Panel’ if I were you. I hear they’re looking for people who want to avoid the blindingly obvious to lead their inquiry.

??‍♂️

8 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t think he’s lost interest in the football side. For the twenty years he’s been in charge I’ve always said he doesn’t understand it as a game . He’s not a football man . His choice of managers , apart from Gary Johnson has been a failure. Cotts was Kieth Dawes appointment not SL’s and he couldn’t wait to sack him . 

? he has never had an interest in the round ball game. only the egg one.

29 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Given there have been few, if any, contact injuries as a result of tussles with opponents - which would be difficult as we never seem to get within 5 yards of them -  I assume you must be thinking all these injuries are a result of domestic incidents like dropping barbecues on one’s feet and so forth.

I’d offer to go on the Club’s ‘Injuries Investigation Panel’ if I were you. I hear they’re looking for people who want to avoid the blindingly obvious to lead their inquiry.

??‍♂️

Yes Dear

15 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

This is an Ashton out thread...

....why?

1) Overseen the most injuries in one season in living memory

2) The players purchased are getting worse season after season the quality of the squad, is trousers.

3) The league position is getting worse season after season

4) The football is so awful I refuse to watch it

5) The coaches appointed are not good enough

6) We're overweight in midfield, with absolutely not good enough players

7) We buy players with no thought of a system or way of playing

? Where is our next 8million plus player sale coming from

9) What is the actual plan

And because all roads lead to Ashton, all roads in turn lead to Lansdown.

Steve and Jon, get your house in order lads. Get rid of this leech and get some well respected football people in. Perhaps then we might make some progress.

Obviously I agree with most of this but, 1 season the position got worse - before that it improved SIX seasons in a row. How many teams can say they've done that? (I also accept that papers over some massive cracks and the league table does, in relation to performance, lie a little)

I dont think the players are getting worse compared to what we had a couple of years ago when we got promoted.

Bentley is better than Fielding

Hunt / Vyner are better options than Pisano / Adam Matthews / Bailey Wright that we'd had at RB (probably missing someone)

Dasilva is better than say Scott Golbourne or Derrick Williams but admittedly many would probably take Joe Bryan even if his performances went shit near the end

Kalas / Mawson / Baker is a better choice than Flint / Williams / Wright / Magnússon - obviously we were lucky to have Webster for a season, that was a great signing. I dont think Mawson is far off that quality when he's fit and at his best.

Midfield is probably weaker and I dont know about exact comparisons of types of players. Brownhill clearly gone on to better things and I rated Pack.
Williams sounds a very good player, Palmer's been promoted and is class on his day. Pato likewise on his day. Weimann is better than the likes of Wagstaff / Woodrow (similar run about a bit type players)

Upfront on paper Fam, Martin and Wells are decent players at this level. I think Wells is past his absolute best, but was banging goals in until we signed him, Martin was very good when he first joined and then we ran him into the ground

I dont think the squad we've got is awful. It's not League Cup run season quality, but on paper we have some very good players. They just arent performing for various reasons that need to be addressed - some of that fatigue / injury and some of it tactics and coaching.

I think it's time to move Ashton on, and get someone more "footballing" in that sort of role or DoF. The underlying plan doesn't need to be completely scrapped, it just needs freshening up as its gone a bit stale since 2018

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Obviously I agree with most of this but, 1 season the position got worse - before that it improved SIX seasons in a row. How many teams can say they've done that? (I also accept that papers over some massive cracks and the league table does, in relation to performance, lie a little)

I dont think the players are getting worse compared to what we had a couple of years ago when we got promoted.

Bentley is better than Fielding

Hunt / Vyner are better options than Pisano / Adam Matthews / Bailey Wright that we'd had at RB (probably missing someone)

Dasilva is better than say Scott Golbourne or Derrick Williams but admittedly many would probably take Joe Bryan even if his performances went shit near the end

Kalas / Mawson / Baker is a better choice than Flint / Williams / Wright / Magnússon - obviously we were lucky to have Webster for a season, that was a great signing. I dont think Mawson is far off that quality when he's fit and at his best.

Midfield is probably weaker and I dont know about exact comparisons of types of players. Brownhill clearly gone on to better things and I rated Pack.
Williams sounds a very good player, Palmer's been promoted and is class on his day. Pato likewise on his day. Weimann is better than the likes of Wagstaff / Woodrow (similar run about a bit type players)

Upfront on paper Fam, Martin and Wells are decent players at this level. I think Wells is past his absolute best, but was banging goals in until we signed him, Martin was very good when he first joined and then we ran him into the ground

I dont think the squad we've got is awful. It's not League Cup run season quality, but on paper we have some very good players. They just arent performing for various reasons that need to be addressed - some of that fatigue / injury and some of it tactics and coaching.

I think it's time to move Ashton on, and get someone more "footballing" in that sort of role or DoF. The underlying plan doesn't need to be completely scrapped, it just needs freshening up as its gone a bit stale since 2018

you hit the nail on the head with this one mate. well done !

43 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Very succinctly summed up....

Thank you......

14 hours ago, Red Alert said:

You don’t pay a patsy or a puppet 500k per year. Unless it’s Patsy Kensit or Kermit the Frog.

Ashton has a lot of influence.

Ashton has one job and he's now failing.

We have an aging aquad that is costing a fortune that won't realise a profit. 

19 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

I really dont understand the hate for Ashton. No way does he make the main decisions. SL makes those, always has and always will while he putting HIS money in to the club

A multi millionaire owner who is a financial wizard.................but has no pheckin idea how to run a football team.  Stadium, outstanding  -  Facililities. outstanding - Training ground - Superb.   Team, Manager and CEO .........Dinosaur Poo.  It's about time SL swallowed his pride, admitted he knows very little about appointing coaches, and got some advice and guidance from people in the business of football who know how it's done?   A phone call to Alex Ferguson or David Moyes would be a start?

I am,  however not holding my breath.

19 hours ago, Harry said:

He’s “in charge of all football matters”. 

We don’t have a 1st Team Manager. 
We don’t have a Head of Recruitment. 
We don’t have a Chief Scout. 
We don’t have a Director of Football. 

We have 1 person who is in control of everything. So, when footballing performances and results are poor, the person who is self confessed “in charge of all football matters”, is surely the one who is responsible. 

N.U.T.S.H.E.L.L.

The recent interview confirmed that despite JL / ML speaking to several people (more than 10 - from MA himself) and interviewed some several times (again from MA’s lips himself), it it’s only in the last week he has really confirmed that their choices based on managerial ability were narrowed because of the way he runs the club.

I keep repeating it, he’s a football wannabe.  Not his fault he wasn’t good enough, but this way he gets to feel like one.

I think he’s a good barometer of how little SL really understands football, and at how bad he is at making decisions that directly influence the football playing side.

We are festering at the mo’.  We either need to find the right cream to clear it up, or wait for the puss to explode violently.

There will be elements of the fan base (like me) who will still buy a season ticket because of whatever reasons we have, but I sense a growing proportion are about to say “up yours”...and I don’t blame them.

We’ve seen a set of accounts that show a season impacted by 3 months of covid, and they don’t look pretty....recovered only by selling players.  When this season’s accounts (20/21) come out, with no player sales (unless Bentley makes a hasty departure in May), coupled with a full season of Covid affected Revenues, it’s gonna look horrific.  These are a year away but the damage has been done.

This man has presided over it.  SL and JL have allowed it too.

What a Effin mess.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

N.U.T.S.H.E.L.L.

The recent interview confirmed that despite JL / ML speaking to several people (more than 10 - from MA himself) and interviewed some several times (again from MA’s lips himself), it it’s only in the last week he has really confirmed that their choices based on managerial ability were narrowed because of the way he runs the club.

I keep repeating it, he’s a football wannabe.  Not his fault he wasn’t good enough, but this way he gets to feel like one.

I think he’s a good barometer of how little SL really understands football, and at how bad he is at making decisions that directly influence the football playing side.

We are festering at the mo’.  We either need to find the right cream to clear it up, or wait for the puss to explode violently.

There will be elements of the fan base (like me) who will still buy a season ticket because of whatever reasons we have, but I sense a growing proportion are about to say “up yours”...and I don’t blame them.

We’ve seen a set of accounts that show a season impacted by 3 months of covid, and they don’t look pretty....recovered only by selling players.  When this season’s accounts (20/21) come out, with no player sales (unless Bentley makes a hasty departure in May), coupled with a full season of Covid affected Revenues, it’s gonna look horrific.  These are a year away but the damage has been done.

What a Effin mess.

Horrific for every club not just us.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

N.U.T.S.H.E.L.L.

What a Effin mess.

That’s the problem, you (respectfully) see yourself as a fan and they see us as cash cows. Sadly  “Fans” of football clubs are a dying breed. When fans (cash cows) leaves by the thousands maybe attention would be given to us, maybe.

19 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I can see the scenario when MA schooled DH into what he needed to say at the interview to become the standout applicant. DH is on a no lose situation he gives it a go if it works great if not he is out of a job with a nice years pay. Whilst MA has his man in the job working within MA's dictate and who is not going to undermine him to SL

Yep, exactly this.  Here’s the questions Dean, you can’t fail.  Not Dean’s fault, apart from naivety.

19 hours ago, SODS_LAW said:

Don’t get this, he’s provided a very good squad of players.

the coach isn’t good enough.

He’s provided a lot of players....but what was the plan behind each signing.  Holden had to rein in recruitment last summer / this winter because of the whimsical recruitment previously.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

N.U.T.S.H.E.L.L.

What a Effin mess.

Excellent  Post Dave..............Good points, well made.............Just a bit alarmed about exploding Cats? ?

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't know if it's that out of kilter with the market rate for that position, at this level- in the South at a club with the infrastructure we have- £30m Business if we include the Group.

Not defending, but it seems like it isn't wildly excessive in that context.

He’s not the director of BCH....he’s the Director of BCFC....a £16m Business.  That makes is worse!!!

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

N.U.T.S.H.E.L.L.

What a Effin mess.

As you say @Davefevs, an Effin’ Mess and my fear is that it could be about to get a lot worse - looking at our next six fixtures, with how we are playing, I genuinely cannot see us winning any - in a months time, we could be right in a relegation battle!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, exactly this.  Here’s the questions Dean, you can’t fail.  Not Dean’s fault, apart from naivety.

He’s provided a lot of players....but what was the plan behind each signing.  Holden had to rein in recruitment last summer / this winter because of the whimsical recruitment previously.

Exactly. Can anyone explain/describe our playing style, and what type of players we recruit to fit that?

Just like our national team has been for years. Stick some half decent players together and hope for the best. 

6 hours ago, bpexile said:

I suspect that Hughtons Forest will soon overtake us in the league. We can only wonder what he could have done with our squad but in saying that I really hope that DH can turn things around.

We all Hope..............but Holden will NOT turn it round.  The outcome will be just as many of us predicted at the very beginning of his reign, he will be let  go.  If they had only looked at the history of similar appointments, they would have seen, that those who ignore previous history.............are doomed to repeat it.    This whole "yes man" saga is embarassing and  so, so predictable.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:
19 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I can see the scenario when MA schooled DH into what he needed to say at the interview to become the standout applicant. DH is on a no lose situation he gives it a go if it works great if not he is out of a job with a nice years pay. Whilst MA has his man in the job working within MA's dictate and who is not going to undermine him to SL

I don't  blame DH taking it on, giving the situation who would not. If it was just down to the results and bad run, with the injuries I would say he deserves more time, but and this is the real issue I see, DH does not seem to have a vision of how to set the team up, an identity of how we are trying to play or any tactical ability to change the game, therefore these are not down to unfortunate circumstance, but lack of ability which he can not be given time to try and learn and our expense.

I believe SL has put MA in charge to run the business and not to micro manage him but just give sign off to major decisions. SL will have discussed his vision and direction of the club and send him away to achieve within the parameters set. MA will have interviewed and for whatever reason has either decided to back DH to SL, or maybe MA went back to SL and said we are struggling as each candidate does not fulfill X,Y, Z criteria, therefore we should give DH an opportunity as he is aligned with our goals.

Either way I am sure MA is squirming to cover his ass and will chuck DH under the bus to save his skin, but in fairness that is what happens in large companies / corporate world all the time.

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

We all Hope..............but Holden will NOT turn it round.  The outcome will be just as many of us predicted at the very beginning of his reign, he will be let  go.  If they had only looked at the history of similar appointments, they would have seen, that those who ignore previous history.............are doomed to repeat it.    This whole "yes man" saga is embarassing and  so, so predictable.

I’m disappointed in Dean in many ways.  I accept injuries forced him away from his “preferred” system early season, but why hasn’t he gone back to it (I accept who is gonna play LWB, is a question to answer)?

This is where his inexperience has shown.

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

N.U.T.S.H.E.L.L.

What a Effin mess.

Dave

You and Harry have hit the proverbial nail on the head. However I don’t think SL has enough guts to eat the amount of humble pie needed to make the necessary changes. Plus I don’t think SL has the knowledge of the people needed with whom to replace Ashton, especially as he’s the one who put MA in that overall position in the first place, after he decided to decamp to the Channel Islands and have less day-to-day involvement in the running of the club.

It is a right royal mess of SL’s own making with MA the main problem that needs resolving ASAP before there is going to be any meaningful change that might lead to an upturn in our fortunes.

Archived