IGNORED

Dean Holden post Cardiff

Jerseybean

It did not get picked up as much as it could have done, but I remember Kalas being asked who would win v Derby and saying something like ‘whoever is better coached’.

It seemed at the time a really odd thing to say. Why pick on coaching when there are so many other things you could say, ‘who wants it more, who takes their chances, whoever plays better on the day, we have to make sure it’s us’ etc etc?

Yet the thing that was front of his mind was coaching. In personalising it that way there is always a danger it becomes a hostage to fortune, unless you don’t care about that aspect. It is obviously something the players are feeling.

Making a mistake is human. Repeating it time and time and time and time again when it is simply is not working is just bizarre. The squad is a mess (not his fault), and with everything else happening in the world at the moment, a ‘release’, a moment away once or twice a week from the real world is not there. It’s depressing, and the best I can get to is neutral by not caring.

I don’t demand promotion, top six, anything. I just want to be transported away for a little bit where I can get pleasure, anger, delight, annoyance at the ref, whatever.

At the moment I feel nothing. That is the sadness.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

It did not get picked up as much as it could have done, but I remember Kalas being asked who would win v Derby and saying something like ‘whoever is better coached’.

It seemed at the time a really odd thing to say. Why pick on coaching when there are so many other things you could say,

has been mentioned on a few threads, make a me wonder if he is losing the confidence of the players, he now has a number of very experienced pro's who may well be questioning some of the strange tactics and set ups

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

Who would you be looking at? Are You a fan of Howe? My thinking is that he could currently bring his whole set up with him and i think we have good enough players to work with. The project would need to be sold but it’s a huge opportunity for someone. People will say in dreamland and i accept that but these out of work managers are already financially secure and they would be given time - i only think Holden won’t as it was a mistake in the first place. I feel sorry for the bloke, i like him But he’s out his depth 

Im regards to the ones that didn’t work under LJ  we also didn’t lose much on them bar Engvall have we? My main problem with the ones we let go was that they were never given a chance at all. Out of the ones that DH has been given 2 are not good enough and one remains to be seen. 

Would happily take Howe, but I genuinely don’t think he’d come here.  But you never know.  I think his stock was higher at Bournemouth than being out of work though.

In the summer, Hughton was my boring 1st choice, Cook was my exciting 2nd choice.

Re current squad.  Decent bunch of individuals, but it needs the right man to meld them, and the right man might see them as a bunch than can’t be melded.

Re didn’t lose much.  The joy of buying young, with development growth and an inflationary market.  Even MA couldn’t fail ???.  Yeah, agree about not playing certain players, and that comes down to planning.

10 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

has been mentioned on a few threads, make a me wonder if he is losing the confidence of the players, he now has a number of very experienced pro's who may well be questioning some of the strange tactics and set ups

I think you could be right about players losing confidence in tactics etc. Saturday for me was a bit of a turning point for some players. There was a clear lack of discipline and frustration towards the end imo.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Dean has been the opportunity to bring in much has he? One player for a fee.  The Brunt signing will haunt him.

1D5939EB-17E0-42AE-BDEB-C368D0B716D9.thumb.jpeg.e31a97ec8adb7c8de46be871a9085082.jpeg

Heres LJ’s last season, thank god Bentley improved.  LJ did improve some, but there are plenty of others that didn’t improve.

D53F48B7-5967-4FCB-86B3-FB5EA0000BE6.thumb.jpeg.bd9d16b966758e2b57b093ca0c6983a8.jpeg

I do think in hindsight the job is too big for Holden.  It needs a better quality manager.  

It’s going to be very interesting to see how LJ’s transfers turn out at Sunderland. Might prove or disprove the theories about Ashton’s over-involvement here depending on the type of players he goes for.

Obviously been discussed many times - but I’d say LJ is in credit for transfer success here. By proxy this means Ashton too unfortunately. Webster, Brownhill, Reid all huge plus points. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s going to be very interesting to see how LJ’s transfers turn out at Sunderland. Might prove or disprove the theories about Ashton’s over-involvement here depending on the type of players he goes for.

Obviously been discussed many times - but I’d say LJ is in credit for transfer success here. By proxy this means Ashton too unfortunately. Webster, Brownhill, Reid all huge plus points. 

A small number of true unequivocal successes.  Out of 60 plus!  If you take a financial view, you can look at it simplistically as net fee, but it’s actually not quite that simple in reality.  But it’s a subjective area, so we will all have our opinions.

Does Howe fancy a challenge?

Don't just mean with respect to us, but I mean in general.

I've mentioned it a few times but why would he not want the challenge of going again, yes Bournemouth relegated with player trading (ie downsizing) necessary...and he walks.

He walks- which is strange given that when he was first there he took them off the bottom of the League, under massively straitened financial conditions and a points deduction for admin. 

Just Googled. 17 points deduction, promotion from League Two the following season, one of the youngest managers. Bit of Championship downsizing is a piece of piss by comparison.

They also had a transfer embargo in place during the promotion season and I assume during the points deduction Great Escape.

On 07/02/2021 at 00:46, AppyDAZE said:

There is no fight because I can bet you that not one single player in the dressing room believes that DH is the man for the job.

Rightly or wrongly, I doubt they believe and it's starting to show on the pitch. It happens so many times.

And I've been told on here many times, that it's rubbish that players don't play for the manager/head coach. Surprise!

2 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

And I've been told on here many times, that it's rubbish that players don't play for the manager/head coach. Surprise!

Of course there are players that don't play / give 100 % to keep a manager in a job. Just like any walk of life if you've got a s**t boss you are unlikely to give your all for the job.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Shouldn't lose sight as to who made them better players during their time here. It wasn't MA. 

Who spotted where Reid should play? It wasn't MA.

Who demanded Webster if Flint was sold? It wasn't MA.

I really can't see DH with that vision.

Credit to MA, he is obviously a good negotiator and got top-dollar. But he's not the talent spotter. 

Archived