IGNORED

Felt absolutely nothing!

tunnie12345

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

My post may have come across as somewhat terse. Thing is I endured the slide from Div 1 to Div 4 before the renaissance under TC. Owners, managers and players come and go but we, the fans  are constant. I have never not known who we are playing next. I have also never felt nothing when we lose. Perhaps I take it all too seriously but I feel I just cannot abandon the club no matter how bad it treats me. Maybe I'm odd.

I'm hoping it's just a pandemic thing and as soon as we're allowed to watch them ill be like a kid at Christmas again. 

However it doesn't take away how disconnected the club is from its fan base. My grandad said about 8 years ago that he had lost most of his interest in City and football in general. He said it wasn't the same club and game that he fell in love with. At the time I didn't get it, but now I totally understand where he is coming from.... Look at us over the last 6 years: new stadium (near enough), new badge, new brand with Bristol sport. All they need to do now is change our name and its effectively a new club, and to be honest I wouldn't put them past doing that over the next few year. 

It's only recently I have understood why clubs like fc United of Manchester were formed. 

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

2 hours ago, hollydog said:

I can’t agree with the LJ comments- we were never poor for 25 games in a row. Can’t remember a season in which we haven’t scored 3 come February. Indeed I can’t remember a season in which we haven’t played well for 90 mins come February! (I’ve been going since 1971). 

You may have conditioned yourself to forget, so I apologise if I bring back painful memories.

Do you remember the Russell Osman era. Utter tedium. However, I was younger then, so was more able to cope with disappointment. I’ve been ground down in the years since.

6 minutes ago, tunnie12345 said:

I'm hoping it's just a pandemic thing and as soon as we're allowed to watch them ill be like a kid at Christmas again. 

However it doesn't take away how disconnected the club is from its fan base. My grandad said about 8 years ago that he had lost most of his interest in City and football in general. He said it wasn't the same club and game that he fell in love with. At the time I didn't get it, but now I totally understand where he is coming from.... Look at us over the last 6 years: new stadium (near enough), new badge, new brand with Bristol sport. All they need to do now is change our name and its effectively a new club, and to be honest I wouldn't put them past doing that over the next few year. 

It's only recently I have understood why clubs like fc United of Manchester were formed. 

I understand what you mean. It's like a relationship, they treat you like dirt but you still love them. Maybe I'll reach the point one day where I lose the enthusiasm to attend games (age will probably dictate that) but I think I'll always look for the results.

2 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Well you obviously ain't got Bristol City running through your veins like some of us have then. I'm 'kin fuming about that sham of a performance today.

Not that simple I’m afraid. I believe that I bleed red and white and have done for 50 years but (albeit for the first time) feel indifferent about today’s very predictable result. We are in a bad place of i’ not kicking the (metaphorical) cat after a defeat. .  

15 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

I understand what you mean. It's like a relationship, they treat you like dirt but you still love them. Maybe I'll reach the point one day where I lose the enthusiasm to attend games (age will probably dictate that) but I think I'll always look for the results.

I'll give you an example which may prove or disprove your point RS. As a bog standard supporter, I think I'm pretty typical of a fan of similar vintage. 

I'm heading towards my mid 50's and, while I love the City, my life doesn't revolve around the club as it used to. I actually flew back from a family holiday to watch them a few years ago, now I'm not sure I would leave the house to watch the current guff. Is it an age thing or is it years of disappointment and losing the feeling that the club actually gives a monkeys? Personally, I think it's the latter but the current malaise, Ashtons' smarm and spin, DH's appointment smack of mediocrity and lies. I can't accept that. Maybe those of us of a certain age (as you mention) have seen it all before.

In the next couple of years, we're planning on moving South of the city, not as far as the coast but far enough to question whether I would bother at all.

I'll still go to a fair few games, don't get me wrong but the 'loss of enthusiasm' is certainly the case but I hope I do more than just 'look at the results' in the future. After 47 years I would hope me and my generation get our city mojo back but I have to question whether we will at the moment.

Was I pissed about todays shambles? Yes. Did I expect it? Yes. Do I expect any different next week? No.

Sorry all if it's totally irrelevant but it seemed to fit the discussion. 

14 minutes ago, Ring said:

You may have conditioned yourself to forget, so I apologise if I bring back painful memories.

Do you remember the Russell Osman era. Utter tedium. However, I was younger then, so was more able to cope with disappointment. I’ve been ground down in the years since.

It was shite under Osman but the win at Anfield offset a lot of the rubbish!

7 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Not that simple I’m afraid. I believe that I bleed red and white and have done for 50 years but (albeit for the first time) feel indifferent about today’s very predictable result. We are in a bad place of i’ not kicking the (metaphorical) cat after a defeat. .  

One or two drops of Glenmorangie has rendered me much more accepting of the situation in which we now find ourselves and in rather more of a mellow frame of mind. Ah well, time for bed. Night night.

3 hours ago, BobbyC said:

Those were the days....Are you keeping well A ?

The last game i saw was Shrewsbury in the cup nearly a year ago.

I've not missed much.

I’m fine Bob do you ever pop down this way at all be good to see you  when the COVID as pushed off

Knew there was a game, knew what was coming, kidded myself this would be different as will next week, watched it anyway, drifted into inevitable, put myself in a bad mood.

Been outplayed 3 weeks in a row, 

By 3 different ways of playing 

Derby no identify, pitch slogfest

Brentford enough said 

Cardiff the power game 

Now looking down rather than up. Wondering when we'll have an identity that is good to watch. 

That's football. 

Mostly lows or annoyances sprinkled with the odd high. 

On 06/02/2021 at 20:21, slartibartfast said:

Let's be honest  Ashton isn't a City fan (on his own admission, he's WBA).

He doesn't really give a **** about results just so long as he gets his big fat pay check at the end of the month, to do **** all !

Our chief exec doesn’t actually support the club? I think I may have spotted a problem .....

Got chatting to a family earlier, out and out City home and away they are, real thick and thin fans these.

They now simply can’t be assed to pay a tenner and watch City at the moment, there’re totally bored with dire football slopped up in the past 3 years.

Alarmingly this type of thing is something I’m hearing more and more these days.

Archived