IGNORED

OK So Who?

REDOXO

57 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha, RR definitely adds more value that’s for sure. I don’t mind people holding the opposite view, but if they feel qualified to lecture people (but refuse to back up their opinions with tangibles) then it’s just silly. That’s what @Bat Fastard always does - tries to drown people in waffle but little substance. 

I fail to see that my acceptance of a situation has anything to do with the price of fish. Very simply, I acknowledge the problems facing Dean and do not hold him entirely responsible for them.  This is not complicated and I would have thought quite reasonable in the circumstances.  If my support for the team and management is seen as trolling by some on here, then that cannot be helped.

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I think that we are in a pretty dire situation for players right now. It would have been seen as unrealistic by some on here if you had said that all our left footed players would be out with long term injuries.  Fate owes us nothing and I will continue to support the club as I have done for well over 50 years. Events beyond our obvious control include injuries, covid and the luck of other teams in avoiding problems and having more luck.  I will be glad when the season is over and we can hopefully get along to AG next season.  I fully expect that to be in the Championship.  Whatever happens I will support the team and the manager of the day. If I don't like it then I will feel honour bound to lump it.

You keep on that the problem is just about injuries, if it was down to being on a losing run and being without key players most of us are sensible enough to see that hampering DH and give him time, as he is likable and the fans related to him initially. The issue I an many others have is that DH is not showing sufficient management know how at this level, in terms of player formation, game plan and tactical awareness to be able to either set up or change and influence the game when things are not going well, these are not things that can changed quickly and unless change is made we will be fighting for survival in this division.

Spike gave a good reply to you earlier, which you chose not to reply to specifically, so just take the last game (ignoring all the rubbish before it)

Do you think it was good management to play 2 midfielders, who have never played together before, one of whom has 60 minutes in a U23 game after a serious injury, the other only some odd minutes for Villa, then add in a 19 year old whilst leaving a Hungarian international midfielder on the bench. Added to that play an ageing CB as a left back even though he failed at Brentford in that position (not sure why we did not bring in a LB in the window). That's even before you think about, how long he took to change it after going 2 down and lucky not to be more with further awful substitutions, and this is just 1 game. 

Sorry lost faith that even if he had every player available (and I think he has a good squad to select from at the moment), he would be doing any better, what more I think that some of the senior players are starting to think that as well.

To quote DH from Saturaday

“If you can’t be up for a battle with your neighbours from across the bridge then there’s something wrong.”

He is right there is something very wrong - but needs to look in the mirror to find it 

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You keep on that the problem is just about injuries, if it was down to being on a losing run and being without key players most of us are sensible enough to see that hampering DH and give him time, as he is likable and the fans related to him initially. The issue I an many others have is that DH is not showing sufficient management know how at this level, in terms of player formation, game plan and tactical awareness to be able to either set up or change and influence the game when things are not going well, these are not things that can changed quickly and unless change is made we will be fighting for survival in this division.

Spike gave a good reply to you earlier, which you chose not to reply to specifically, so just take the last game (ignoring all the rubbish before it)

Do you think it was good management to play 2 midfielders, who have never played together before, one of whom has 60 minutes in a U23 game after a serious injury, the other only some odd minutes for Villa, then add in a 19 year old whilst leaving a Hungarian international midfielder on the bench. Added to that play an ageing CB as a left back even though he failed at Brentford in that position (not sure why we did not bring in a LB in the window). That's even before you think about, how long he took to change it after going 2 down and lucky not to be more with further awful substitutions, and this is just 1 game. 

Sorry lost faith that even if he had every player available (and I think he has a good squad to select from at the moment), he would be doing any better, what more I think that some of the senior players are starting to think that as well.

“If you can’t be up for a battle with your neighbours from across the bridge then there’s something wrong.”

He is right there is something very wrong - but needs to look in the mirror to find it 

I was surprised by the choice of the two midfield players but saw no other obvious option at left back and none of those three played anywhere near their potential. I have no idea about the injury status of some of the other players and assume that Dean had his reasons.  Pato was also off the pace when he came on, but like the other two midfielders he needs minutes to regain match fitness.  We are on a very sticky run but my natural instinct is to dig in and support rather than look for the negatives. If we were at AG I hope we would all be trying to lift the team by our support.

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Can’t disagree with any of that.

It just bugs me that we can play “better” (not brilliantly) v Preston and Millwall, but turn in such tripe against Derby and Cardiff.

We aren’t hot or cold, we are Luke warm and tepid.

I really enjoyed our early season performances too, but we are a mile away from that at the mo’.

As an analytical person I am finding it a struggle because there is nothing to compare, no trend to find...apart from its consistently random. ?

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I was surprised by the choice of the two midfield players but saw no other obvious option at left back and none of those three played anywhere near their potential. I have no idea about the injury status of some of the other players and assume that Dean had his reasons.  Pato was also off the pace when he came on, but like the other two midfielders he needs minutes to regain match fitness.  We are on a very sticky run but my natural instinct is to dig in and support rather than look for the negatives. If we were at AG I hope we would all be trying to lift the team by our support.

I think that's the 1 lucky thing for DH at the moment, after how poor we have been most of this season, even scraping results against the run of play, the atmosphere would be toxic with recent performances and baying for his blood

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think that's the 1 lucky thing for DH at the moment, after how poor we have been most of this season, even scraping results against the run of play, the atmosphere would be toxic with recent performances and baying for his blood

I fail to see how baying for blood might help during the current injury crisis,

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t disagree with any of that.

It just bugs me that we can play “better” (not brilliantly) v Preston and Millwall, but turn in such tripe against Derby and Cardiff.

We aren’t hot or cold, we are Luke warm and tepid.

I really enjoyed our early season performances too, but we are a mile away from that at the mo’.

As an analytical person I am finding it a struggle because there is nothing to compare, no trend to find...apart from its consistently random. ?

Not wrong- though we lost all 3, our performance at Brentford was much better than the two either side of it.

Was hoping that Brentford away though not brilliant, first half had some real positives- was hoping that would be a standard to set- how flat we were in the first half vs Cardiff and thereafter that was that- the quick starts which brought about early goals vs Preston and Brentford- and though not quite so early, we were two up vs Huddersfield in half an hour- this was nowhere to be seen Saturday.

Like you say, trends...are hard to find. Yet even with that in mind it wouldn't surprise me now if we play really well- perhaps even win- Wednesday. No particular rhyme or reason- just...because.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

I fail to see how baying for blood might help during the current injury crisis,

Because the getting behind the team even when lose time has past and it comes to a time where change is needed, as DH is not the person who can take us forward or even prevent a terminal decline, as many have tried to point out it is not just about injuries.

For the record, I could accept the current state if it was down solely to injuries, I am not one that is even bothered about getting to the prem (although would be nice) and actually will accept defeat if we have either been out played by a better side, had some bad luck or gave it a good go and came up short. I want to be entertained, see some shots on target maybe even a goal now and then. 

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

It's not who we can attract, it's who we pass over that's the issue for me. In the last recruitment there were several available options touted by fans and media alike. All deemed unsuitable by the club. 

Names touted by fans and media don't necessarily mean they were actually interested.

29 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Meh!

image.png.05a4dd2469885a23b669192434272cca.png

Not sure how much I believe this, if Hughes knows MA, he may have a quiet telephone call, but would not make it public and if he did that would be a warning to SL or MA that he is probable not the sort of person you want.

But I do think we need a manager that the players will look up to and respect, sometimes because they have managed at a high level or maybe as in Rooney's case has played at the highest level.

The problem DH has, is the same as LJ and his father, when you start recruiting players who have played at a higher level and for some of the best managers, when it starts going wrong they don't trust the judgement and disagree with what is happening and undermine to other players. Players by there nature are strong personalities and need someone to look up to and respect.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Because the getting behind the team even when lose time has past and it comes to a time where change is needed, as DH is not the person who can take us forward or even prevent a terminal decline, as many have tried to point out it is not just about injuries.

For the record, I could accept the current state if it was down solely to injuries, I am not one that is even bothered about getting to the prem (although would be nice) and actually will accept defeat if we have either been out played by a better side, had some bad luck or gave it a good go and came up short. I want to be entertained, see some shots on target maybe even a goal now and then. 

Fine - we simply disagree. I is allowed. I just believe that Dean would be achieving better results if he had more of his experience pros that he could call on to adopt the kind of playing strategies that would be needed for different teams.  So many clubs that chop and change managers every few months end up being unable to sustain the progress that the changes were designed to produce.  Hopefully Ashton will be helping Dean over this period because he must be starting to wonder if he has run over a black cat.  In adversity I prefer to stick together rather than disrupt everything because we feel disappointed,

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not a great fan of Campbell tbh, reasons you state a part of that one- wasn't fully aware of Arteta's backstory but coaching/assistant managing will help- seem to recall he did some with Guardiola.

Clearly has a questionable attitude but he got stuck in and kept Macclesfield up- not a cushy start by any means.

Would have to check but was he sacked by both or did he walk? Quick search of the League Table from that time suggests he took over bottom, 7 points from safety having played a game more than the team closest out of the drop- 9 points if we're talking all games being equal etc.

Hi Mr P - cheers for the reply. It seems unclear as to the reasons Sol left Macc and Southend - apparently he left Macc under the old favourite ‘mutual consent’ and the reason he left the Shrimpers seems to be he “left the club after they were relegated.” Although to be fair, Southend were relegated after the covid ravaged season - but they were still 16 points from safety so relegation was inevitable - pretty safe to say Sol was sacked from both posts - especially as he ran back to Macc months after he left claiming £200k from the stricken club ... questionable attitude 

It's high time the club appointed a proven and experienced manager who knows how to build a squad good enough to compete for a top six place in the Championship. However it appears that this is not favoured by those making the appointment. 

Incidentally, when some names  are mentioned on here they also seem to get short shrift from fans - too old, wrong type of playing style, and even (in times past!) - don't want him anywhere near our club. 

I'll leave you to match appropriate names at your leisure.

19 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

It's high time the club appointed a proven and experienced manager who knows how to build a squad good enough to compete for a top six place in the Championship. However it appears that this is not favoured by those making the appointment. 

Incidentally, when some names  are mentioned on here they also seem to get short shrift from fans - too old, wrong type of playing style, and even (in times past!) - don't want him anywhere near our club. 

I'll leave you to match appropriate names at your leisure.

Spot on. Lots of proven names were dismissed by fans when LJ was sacked, can remember one person writing off Hughton because after promotion Brighton played "poor" football. Worried about our imaginary performances in the Premier League before we even got there! Eddie Howe's name getting put into the conversation, no chance that'll happen.

As you and others say, we desperately need experience within the leadership of the club. Amateurish decisions seem to be around every corner. The momentum over the past 2 seasons has been downward, this needs to stop now.

Archived