IGNORED

Our local journalist showing clear vision .

Major Isewater

Only read the first half of the report (rest is too depressing), but the way in which it is written, suggests that someone has been put outside of the "circle of trust".

That's someone who isn't being drip fed lot's of information from the club, especially from the criticism of the coaching staff. 

39 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In Gregor and 20man we are lucky to have 2 local journalists who are clearly on our side and not afraid to ask testing questions where possible.

Gregor has certainly given a strong opinion but I don't recall him asking tough questions. He gave Ashton an easy ride for instance, especially compared to Twentyman.

I have some sympathy for him though as he knows he will be denied access if he dares to ask questions the club doesn't like.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Gregor has certainly given a strong opinion but I don't recall him asking tough questions. He gave Ashton an easy ride for instance, especially compared to Twentyman.

I have some sympathy for him though as he knows he will be denied access if he dares to ask questions the club doesn't like.

I don’t think he has the access because he goes against the grain. The club can’t ignore the BBC but can ignore local press. I think he does a decent job considering.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t think he has the access because he goes against the grain. The club can’t ignore the BBC but can ignore local press. I think he does a decent job considering.

He has the opportunity to ask tough questions but tends not to. Otherwise I agree.

47 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In Gregor and 20man we are lucky to have 2 local journalists who are clearly on our side and not afraid to ask testing questions where possible.

I don’t think he’s “on our side”, it’s rather he tries to write honest reports. 

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m convinced that GmG reads otib........not much in that article that hasn’t been mentioned on here.

I’ll be convinced he reads OTIB when he says he’ll only believe something when he sees it on the City website 

To be fair, GMG’ s position is inherently difficult. His total job is reporting on City and he’s reliant necessarily on the access and cooperation of the club, not just for exclusives, but for day to day working, and even travel to away games. The club can withdraw this, wholly or in part, at a stroke. And my experience of working with billionaires- and I have a little- is that they can be uniquely prickly and sensitive. Having read City reportage for almost 50 years, I think the boy does pretty well.

4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I find it hard to understand how a professional journalist can have such an awful grasp of how to write in english. Some of his sentences hardly make sense. His writing style is atrocious.

The BBC is probably the worst! Standard of journalism is shocking.

25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He has the opportunity to ask tough questions but tends not to. Otherwise I agree.

I think he probably has to balance it. It requires some diplomacy because the club could shut out the post completely if they wanted to.. which his employers wouldn’t want. They’ve definitely given him decreasing access in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

A bit harsh on Mariappa. A CB played out of position at RB and now even more so at LB

I thought it was spot on

as was 

but the constant changing of formation, personnel and lack of a consistent coherent plan does not help Holden and smacks of the tinkering of Lee Johnson. That was something Holden was keen to avoid at the beginning of the season but the early promise of 2020/21 has long gone

52 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Ashton wouldn’t give a newspaper interview without seeing the questions first, IMO. Gregor’s hands are tied to a degree. It’s far easier to put someone under pressure by abandoning a pre-agreed script in a live interview (eg TV or radio). 

31 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I find it hard to understand how a professional journalist can have such an awful grasp of how to write in english. Some of his sentences hardly make sense. His writing style is atrocious.

His writing style is crap, far too colloquial for me. I don’t think any of the content on Bristol Live gets edited before appearing online. 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This all goes back to the lowering of standards in education.

I note that many youngsters who come out of University haven’t even got a grasp of basic spelling or grammar.

:dunno:

It wasn't deemed important when I was at uni in 2011. I was absolutely horrified! 

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This all goes back to the lowering of standards in education.

I note that many youngsters who come out of University haven’t even got a grasp of basic spelling or grammar.

:dunno:

Knot, sew shore reely; yoor Madge.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The BBC is probably the worst! Standard of journalism is shocking.

Sorry, the Post is the absolute worst. Spelling, grammar and just the basic understanding of the human language are not required to 'work' there.  So many times they print stories with sentences that don't even 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

So would I but my point is that GmGs observations are not 100% original......

Some of it is simply obvious though. An inexperienced coach of a Cub Scout team could work out that we are massively painfully vulnerable on our left side and targeting Mariappa will lead to goals, especially as Mawson is struggling without protection outside of him.

I’m not going to criticise Mariappa for being willing to cover a position that he is not suited to and I think criticism of Mawson has to be tempered with the fact that he knows we are weak on his side is causing indecisiveness as he tries to do the job of two players. 

But the fact is we now know with 100% certainty that a back four with Mariappa at left back does not work. Having not signed a left back in the transfer window, we have to find a solution there.

I do not have a clue what that solution is but trying something - be it five at the back or trying someone else there - has to be better than persisting with something we know for certain not to work.

Archived