IGNORED

Our local journalist showing clear vision .

Major Isewater

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm actually fairly relaxed about standards of written English.

Some things are signs of an evolving language. Phrases alter subtly; words change meaning; punctuation itself evolves.

Purists get irate about things that became arbitrary grammar rules at some point, but were never, historically, part of English: No split infinitives, for example.  Again, I'm relaxed.

Written English should be clear and concise. I agree, but still wince when reading (not hearing) split infinitives.

I wont bore people with the saga of how, for instance, I fought for "email" rather than "e-mail".  Victorian editors were doing the same over "etc" rather than "et.c". A propos boring, I still insist on writing etc. with its ., as I do with i.e. and e.g.

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes they do and to be honest, it's as likely to be oldies making grammatical howlers as youngsters in my experience.

As someone who spent much of my career involved in correcting errors and who co-wrote BBC News Online's style guide and sat on the corporation's "style council" (oh, how we laughed), I'm actually fairly relaxed about standards of written English.

Some things are signs of an evolving language. Phrases alter subtly; words change meaning; punctuation itself evolves.

Purists get irate about things that became arbitrary grammar rules at some point, but were never, historically, part of English: No split infinitives, for example.  Again, I'm relaxed.

Written English should be clear and concise. 

I think publications should uphold certain standards of course, but how ordinary folk talk and write concerns me less, providing they are understandable.

I wont bore people with the saga of how, for instance, I fought for "email" rather than "e-mail".  Victorian editors were doing the same over "etc" rather than "et.c". 

Indeed. I like to recklessly split infinitives wherever possible.

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

One local paper I worked on, I had to interview this bloke who at the time was Britain's second oldest man.  

I had him down in my book for three days ahead, but then something came up and I had to put him off for a couple of days. On the day of the rebooked interview his son phoned me and said because his house had some workmen in, could I reschedule it until next week. It would be a better picture, he explained. I rang back on the second rebooked time and found the old chap had carked it over the weekend. 

So you didn't see him ???

4 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

Gregor gets the call from MA . Whenever he writes anything on the edge, he gets his collar felt. Watch this week. The local rag has a tough task. They should support the club no doubt, but sometimes it is hard to do. Expect an article of bum licking positivity this week. 

The club should be thankful that people outside of their little bubble can see what is in front of them and have the courage to discuss it.

The only way to advance is to address  problems and accept them.

A skydiver is doing fine up until his parachute doesn’t deploy. 

10 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes they do and to be honest, it's as likely to be oldies making grammatical howlers as youngsters in my experience.

As someone who spent much of my career involved in correcting errors and who co-wrote BBC News Online's style guide and sat on the corporation's "style council" (oh, how we laughed), I'm actually fairly relaxed about standards of written English.

Written English should be clear and concise. 

I think publications should uphold certain standards of course, but how ordinary folk talk and write concerns me less, providing they are understandable.

I wont bore people with the saga of how, for instance, I fought for "email" rather than "e-mail".  Victorian editors were doing the same over "etc" rather than "et.c". 

Who’s responsible for the BBC news online now, as it has definitely changed? 

20 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Vyner is one of four possible candidates I can see of the non left backs in the squad. Given his versatility, I’d be inclined to agree he may be the best choice.

Why can we not select an actual left back/wing back whom is fit,,raring to go but not in the squad???.......

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The club should be thankful that people outside of their little bubble can see what is in front of them and have the courage to discuss it.

The only way to advance is to address  problems and accept them.

A skydiver is doing fine up until his parachute doesn’t deploy. 

I think SL started out like this, or at least saying it. At one point years ago he said something like "you shouldn't be afraid of criticism." Fine sentiments, noble intentions, but perhaps easier said than done.

Fast forward on 15/18 years, and still no top class football delivered, and the criticism will now sting. Really sting. 

He will know, with a club such as ours, over this many years (of his control), and the wedge he has and has thrown at it/us, that we should have been able to at least reach the Prem for one season. With the ground as it is now, the income we generate, the "base" we have built (established, comfortably midtable) 

The pandemic and the injuries provide shrubbery in which to hide from the truth this season, but he knows we are failing - he cannot look at Brentford and not know this.

So, "criticism" in the first few years, you can take; after nearly two decades of failure (because Lansdown isn't in this to not be any better than previous, mere millionaire, owners; and you don't build a stand like that to be midtable second tier and one or two shots per game; getting to the top is what he will want) the criticism will go to his core, hence the sensitivity, the prickliness, the defensiveness, and the carefully managed media (mostly in house, or with clueless toadying national outlet sorts like Jim White at TalkShite).

SL is a billionaire - I'm not sure they are accustomed to the great unwashed loudly and repeatedly telling them where they are clueless, or mere journalists doing likewise. The more power and money you accumulate the more you want to and can control the message.

To those that don't think SL wants promotion I would say he will want it more than anything to be able then to stick two fingers up to all those that have pointed out where he is going wrong. He will want to be seen to be right and have the last say(just like us on here).

19 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

352 is Holden’s preferred formation too, so all the more baffling he isn't trying to make that system work by shoe-horning a player in, as opposed to doing it in a system that he doesn't even favour. 

He has gone very Lee Johnson on us the past couple of months. It's everything he absolutely vowed he wouldn't do.

I do get you can only pick what's available to you, but if you're having to put round pegs in square holes why not at least do it in your first choice shape and the one you spent all pre-season working on?

I still think, too, our best performances have all been in the 3-5-2. And I don't mean the odd 20 minutes here and there, but the best 90-minute displays we've put together were all in that formation.

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Why can we not select an actual left back/wing back whom is fit,,raring to go but not in the squad???.......

Are you talking about Harper? If so, he is also an option and that may perhaps be the best idea as he is a natural left back. However I have never seen him play so only talked about options within the squad as I feel unable to comment on whether a player I have never seen play and know nothing about is ready for the first team.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Are you talking about Harper? If so, he is also an option and that may perhaps be the best idea as he is a natural left back. However I have never seen him play so only talked about options within the squad as I feel unable to comment on whether a player I have never seen play and know nothing about is ready for the first team.

I was chatting to someone who saw him first hand at WSM last season and his view was that he's got pace, great feet, not necessarily the best quality you have ever seen and would need to make an enormous improvement very rapidly to be stuck straight into a Championship game with no other experience between Southern League and Championship to draw on. Football is all about opinions but this is someone who has trained with him.

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The ban on splitting infinitives seems to stem from a grammar book dating from 1930. There seems to be no mention of it as a hard-and-fast rule before then.  Shakespeare is littered with them, as in fact is Dickens. 

8 hours ago, bpexile said:

So you didn't see him ???

Nope, but the interview turned into an obit.

Shame really. The bloke was still attending football matches (Blackburn Rovers) when he was 105.  His son joked that it was the shock of them winning the Premiership that finished him off.  He'd seen them win it twice in his youth, he never expected them to be back on top 80 years on.

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Who’s responsible for the BBC news online now, as it has definitely changed? 

It's part of the division that is mainly focused on the New Channel. Last I knew, its ultimate boss is some Mark Ashton, arse-kissing type called Sam Taylor, who is also editor of rolling news.

Todays press conference.

"Hi Dean did you take any positives from the weekends game?"

"Sure you'll understand the frustrations of the fans, after Cardiff had not won for 8 games but then of course turn up to Ashton Gate and get a win it was a similar story at Preston, going up there, Preston were in bad form and got a win against Bristol City?"

"Just picking up Carrie's question earlier about left back position Dean for this game and moving onwards, have you considered Vince Harper he's obv quite a young guy he's quite highly rated in the academy you've given chances to other young guys."

"What about the 3-5-2 formation? You used that quite a lot at the start of the season and got good results. Is that something you can look at, at some point?"

"What's the team news for Wednesday Dean, have you got everybody available?"

"Just finally, you mentioned about Lansbury and Joe Williams what have they been like the last few day? They got an hour at the weekend, have you seen everything you want from them so far?"

"Thanks Dean"

Sorry if that's not word for word, but it's the correct gist.

OH. HE. REALLY. TOOK. IT. TO DEAN. WOW. OH. GOSH. GREGOR. YOU'RE. SO. BRAVE!

Hey, we had one shot on target which wasn't really anything, and we didn't turn up in the local derby? Ask a single question about the performance? No, ok. Ask why the performance happened? No? Ok.

This is my complaint about him, he has the opportunity to ask polite but firm questions about the performance of the team and turns down that opportunity. He has the time and opportunity to ask why we perform badly and doesn't.

The guy after him in the press conference actually asked Dean what went wrong in the Cardiff game and recently... So it's allowed.

Archived