Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Our local journalist showing clear vision .


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Some of it is simply obvious though. An inexperienced coach of a Cub Scout team could work out that we are massively painfully vulnerable on our left side and targeting Mariappa will lead to goals, especially as Mawson is struggling without protection outside of him.

I’m not going to criticise Mariappa for being willing to cover a position that he is not suited to and I think criticism of Mawson has to be tempered with the fact that he knows we are weak on his side is causing indecisiveness as he tries to do the job of two players. 
 

But the fact is we now know with 100% certainty that a back four with Mariappa at left back does not work. Having not signed a left back in the transfer window, we have to find a solution there.

 

I do not have a clue what that solution is but trying something - be it five at the back or trying someone else there - has to be better than persisting with something we know for certain not to work.

I would have stuck Vyner there personally. Whatever else you say about him the kid has a football brain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m convinced that GmG reads otib........not much in that article that hasn’t been mentioned on here.

He is watching every game live. I think he’s got a clearer view of what’s going wrong on the pitch than any of us on otib atm

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taz said:

Only read the first half of the report (rest is too depressing), but the way in which it is written, suggests that someone has been put outside of the "circle of trust".

That's someone who isn't being drip fed lot's of information from the club, especially from the criticism of the coaching staff. 

Don’t think he was ever in it tbh. Only ever gets contacted by Ashton or Knights for a favour or to have a pop at him for something he’s written. Two may be linked as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I would have stuck Vyner there personally. Whatever else you say about him the kid has a football brain.

Vyner is one of four possible candidates I can see of the non left backs in the squad. Given his versatility, I’d be inclined to agree he may be the best choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m convinced that GmG reads otib........not much in that article that hasn’t been mentioned on here.

That's a good thing because then he can ask questions to what we are concerned about nothing wrong with him reading otib. Certain people in the club have it to cozy they need to be rattled with questions.. In my opinion they've not had enough journalist down there throat over the last few years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

To be fair, GMG’ s position is inherently difficult. His total job is reporting on City and he’s reliant necessarily on the access and cooperation of the club, not just for exclusives, but for day to day working, and even travel to away games. The club can withdraw this, wholly or in part, at a stroke. And my experience of working with billionaires- and I have a little- is that they can be uniquely prickly and sensitive. Having read City reportage for almost 50 years, I think the boy does pretty well.

He does well. The club is now its own media outlet - so the thing he reports on is a direct competitor. He will only get scraps from them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Sorry, the Post is the absolute worst. Spelling, grammar and just the basic understanding of the human language are not required to 'work' there.  So many times they print stories with sentences that don't even 

 

Newspapers used to have sub-editors, reading reporters' copy and improving it and picking up factual errors. After that, pages went to proof-readers who would carefully scrutinise each word for typos.

In the 90s, proof-readers went by-the-by and nowadays it's unusual for local news outlets to even have subs.

So, yes, the copy for the online edition is input directly by the reporter with no checks. Often late at night. Often after they have completed a hard day's work on multiple other stories.

Owners will argue that the economics of the local news means there are not the resources to process copy in the traditional way.

Ex-subs :sub: would argue that mistakes undermine a publication's entire brand, leading to it losing even more money.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

He does well. The club is now its own media outlet - so the thing he reports on is a direct competitor. He will only get scraps from them.  

I think he’s good and today’s article a huge (and welcome) contrast for what passes as most local paper sports journalism.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This all goes back to the lowering of standards in education.

 I note that many youngsters who come out of University haven’t even got a grasp of basic spelling or grammar.

:dunno:

 

The graduates with good written English skills go into better paid careers. There’s very little money in print journalism roles these days. After all, who pays for a newspaper these days when you can get news for ‘free’ online?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

 

Newspapers used to have sub-editors, reading reporters' copy and improving it and picking up factual errors. After that, pages went to proof-readers who would carefully scrutinise each word for typos.

In the 90s, proof-readers went by-the-by and nowadays it's unusual for local news outlets to even have subs.

So, yes, the copy for the online edition is input directly by the reporter with no checks. Often late at night. Often after they have completed a hard day's work on multiple other stories.

Owners will argue that the economics of the local news means there are not the resources to process copy in the traditional way.

Ex-subs :sub: would argue that mistakes undermine a publication's entire brand, leading to it losing even more money.

Owners reap what they sow then and they now have an outlet which is trash. Reportes working hard doesn't mean they can't press spell check or spot those zig zag lines under words, to double check.  That is even more important now they don't have a second pair of eyes checking their work. Clearly though, and sadly, the owners didn't value those important roles which judging by the standards or the reporters at the Post, highlights just how important proof readers/subs are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Some of it is simply obvious though. An inexperienced coach of a Cub Scout team could work out that we are massively painfully vulnerable on our left side and targeting Mariappa will lead to goals, especially as Mawson is struggling without protection outside of him.

I’m not going to criticise Mariappa for being willing to cover a position that he is not suited to and I think criticism of Mawson has to be tempered with the fact that he knows we are weak on his side is causing indecisiveness as he tries to do the job of two players. 
 

But the fact is we now know with 100% certainty that a back four with Mariappa at left back does not work. Having not signed a left back in the transfer window, we have to find a solution there.

 

I do not have a clue what that solution is but trying something - be it five at the back or trying someone else there - has to be better than persisting with something we know for certain not to work.

I agree. I don’t put any blame at all toward Mariappa. The poor bloke came in as cover at CB, when we were playing 3 CB’s and only had 3 fit ones. 
He’s since had about 10 minutes as a CB (on the left of the 3, a position most right footed CB’s find uncomfortable), been shunted to RB, RWB and now LB. 

We need to do something else there.  My shout would be a back 3, and Nagy as wing back. He’s got the engine for the position and he’s a good one on one defender, so I think his skill set would suit better than any of our existing CB’s, and you definitely can’t put Semenyo (like yesterday) or Wells there  

Nagy for LWB, for me. 

 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree. I don’t put any blame at all toward Mariappa. The poor bloke came in as cover at CB, when we were playing 3 CB’s and only had 3 fit ones. 
He’s since had about 10 minutes as a CB (on the left of the 3, a position most right footed CB’s find uncomfortable), been shunted to RB, RWB and now LB. 

We need to do something else there.  My shout would be a back 3, and Nagy as wing back. He’s got the engine for the position and he’s a good one on one defender, so I think his skill set would suit better than any of our existing CB’s, and you definitely can’t put Semenyo (like yesterday) or Wells there  

Nagy for LWB, for me. 

 

The team is already disjointed & lacks any rhythm and/or cohesion Har’s without having to play a none left footer on that side going forward as George Nurse should be fit soon & COD after this, hopefully?!? No more square pegs in round holes.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As said before "the Lansdown family" fell out with The Post a long time ago, so there is no requirement for anyone there, Gregor included, to toe the party line. 

That was more to do with the ex editor in chief who was a big Rovers fan

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This all goes back to the lowering of standards in education.

 I note that many youngsters who come out of University haven’t even got a grasp of basic spelling or grammar.

:dunno:

 

It's not the job of universities to correct grammar and spelling; that should be sorted at primary school.

The general level of written English in this country is shocking: witness the errors in use of "your/you're", or "their/there/they're".

And don't get me started on apostrophes...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

The graduates with good written English skills go into better paid careers. There’s very little money in print journalism roles these days. After all, who pays for a newspaper these days when you can get news for ‘free’ online?

"For free" is poor grammar. The "For" is unnecessary.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

The team is already disjointed & lacks any rhythm and/or cohesion Har’s without having to play a none left footer on that side going forward as George Nurse should be fit soon & COD after this, hopefully?!? No more square pegs in round holes.....

I agree. But at the moment we don’t have any other left footers to fill the role. 
Hence we need to make it a wing back position rather than a full back position (to limit the defensive role as best as you can), and then put someone in there with good energy, a good one on one defensive ability, and the capability of using their left foot. That’s Nagy for me.

Only temporarily obviously. Until Nurse or COD are back. 
But if we persist with Mariappa as a left back or Semenyo as a wing back, we won’t get any more points all season!! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree. I don’t put any blame at all toward Mariappa. The poor bloke came in as cover at CB, when we were playing 3 CB’s and only had 3 fit ones. 
He’s since had about 10 minutes as a CB (on the left of the 3, a position most right footed CB’s find uncomfortable), been shunted to RB, RWB and now LB. 

We need to do something else there.  My shout would be a back 3, and Nagy as wing back. He’s got the engine for the position and he’s a good one on one defender, so I think his skill set would suit better than any of our existing CB’s, and you definitely can’t put Semenyo (like yesterday) or Wells there  

Nagy for LWB, for me. 

 

Ive actually just said something on the team selection topic quite similar. Although i went with Nagy at right wing back & shifting Hunt to left wing back, as at least he has the experience of playing the position. So for Nagy, at least he is not out of position & on his weaker foot. COYR

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Owners reap what they sow then and they now have an outlet which is trash. Reportes working hard doesn't mean they can't press spell check or spot those zig zag lines under words, to double check.  That is even more important now they don't have a second pair of eyes checking their work. Clearly though, and sadly, the owners didn't value those important roles which judging by the standards or the reporters at the Post, highlights just how important proof readers/subs are. 

 

I haven't detected lots of spelling errors in Gregor's work, but it often does look a bit rushed - which it probably is. He's clearly put under lots of time pressure and I wouldn't do his job for all the tea in China.

Agree wholeheartedly with you on the short-sightedness of local media owners making their outlets unreadable messes.

The Bristol Post is owned by the appalling Reach group. If you think they've ballsed the Post up, you should see the massacre they've made of their titles in Somerset. All now seemingly written from an office in Yeovil by minimum wage wannabe journalists who never go out on the road (to be fair they are never given time to do so) and clearly do not even know where most places they "cover" are.

It saddens me that I used to write for some of these titles, but they are now only worth buying if you want to peruse the small ads then have something to light the fire with... :crying:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree. But at the moment we don’t have any other left footers to fill the role. 
Hence we need to make it a wing back position rather than a full back position (to limit the defensive role as best as you can), and then put someone in there with good energy, a good one on one defensive ability, and the capability of using their left foot. That’s Nagy for me.

Only temporarily obviously. Until Nurse or COD are back. 
But if we persist with Mariappa as a left back or Semenyo as a wing back, we won’t get any more points all season!! 

352 is Holden’s preferred formation too, so all the more baffling he isn't trying to make that system work by shoe-horning a player in, as opposed to doing it in a system that he doesn't even favour. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

 

I haven't detected lots of spelling errors in Gregor's work, but it often does look a bit rushed - which it probably is. He's clearly put under lots of time pressure and I wouldn't do his job for all the tea in China.

Agree wholeheartedly with you on the short-sightedness of local media owners making their outlets unreadable messes.

The Bristol Post is owned by the appalling Reach group. If you think they've ballsed the Post up, you should see the massacre they've made of their titles in Somerset. All now seemingly written from an office in Yeovil by minimum wage wannabe journalists who never go out on the road (to be fair they are never given time to do so) and clearly do not even know where most places they "cover" are.

It saddens me that I used to write for some of these titles, but they are now only worth buying if you want to peruse the small ads then have something to light the fire with... :crying:

Stories taken from around the group, in an attempt to create a headline, to scare the readers of that areas publication. Most of the time they are absolutely nothing to do with the area but, it would appear readers are influenced by those headlines.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rich said:

Stories taken from around the group, in an attempt to create a headline, to scare the readers of that areas publication. Most of the time they are absolutely nothing to do with the area but, it would appear readers are influenced by those headlines.

 

Somerset Live is quite a piece of work. At least 60% is pure clickbait; other "stories" look suspiciously like paid-for advertorials.

I don't blame the staff, who probably entered journalism thinking they were going to be the new Woodwards and Bernstiens, but now find themselves having to rewrite stories about yodelling dogs from Cheshire, in order to pay their rent.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

352 is Holden’s preferred formation too, so all the more baffling he isn't trying to make that system work by shoe-horning a player in, as opposed to doing it in a system that he doesn't even favour. 

Exactly my thoughts mate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

 

Somerset Live is quite a piece of work. At least 60% is pure clickbait; other "stories" look suspiciously like paid-for advertorials.

I don't blame the staff, who probably entered journalism thinking they were going to be the new Woodwards and Bernstiens, but now find themselves having to rewrite stories about yodelling dogs from Cheshire, in order to pay their rent.

They seem to mirror all the shyte  reality TV programmes, made up from pure and utter rubbish with little substance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

It's not the job of universities to correct grammar and spelling; that should be sorted at primary school.

The general level of written English in this country is shocking: witness the errors in use of "your/you're", or "their/there/they're".

And don't get me started on apostrophes...

I would of also mentioned towing the line.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good article from the lad . Nothing that has happened this season has surprised me. Holden was part of the problem when LJ was in charge and this is proven by the way he’s managed , carbon copy. We had a chance to clean the slate and the owners went for the yes man and a cheap option . 
Sad to see 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...