IGNORED

Our local journalist showing clear vision .

Major Isewater

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

A bit harsh on Mariappa. A CB played out of position at RB and now even more so at LB

Not really, 4 goals in 2 games have come from his side, you might not be naturally left footed, but his experience should suggest that he would know the basics, i.e. not letting the man cut inside him, even that has been lacking. I get why we signed him,to cover Jack Hunt when Sessegnon was injured, but it looks like we signed a has-been. Total waste of a salary, up there with Brunt.

A decent thought provoking article from GmG.  His only issue is that he may find information even more difficult to come by if he questions the status quo.

for me, MA has far too much influence on the footballing side of BCFC, going by comments i various threads on here. Yes, he runs the football CLUB but should leave the football people to run the TEAM. Concentrate on the business stuff and leave the 'football' side of things to those employed to do that task.

Well done Gregor.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He does read OTIB.  Fact.  He told me he does.  In fact he quoted a particular post to me yesterday pre-game.

So GMG, if you're reading this, what do you make of the City womans game I'm currently watching, being 30 minutes in with City controlling and passing the ball better on a snowy pitch and having had more shots on target than the mens team did yesterday?

Honestly, like a breathe of fresh air compared to the turgid turds we were served up against Cardiff.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He does read OTIB.  Fact.  He told me he does.  In fact he quoted a particular post to me yesterday pre-game.

If City were your brief you'd be daft not to.

You take the pulse of the clubs' supporters, so to speak, by reading such forums.  

Plus every once in a while, you might get a lead to follow from a snippet posted here.

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

So GMG, if you're reading this, what do you make of the City womans game I'm currently watching, being 30 minutes in with City controlling and passing the ball better on a snowy pitch and having had more shots on target than the mens team did yesterday?

Honestly, like a breathe of fresh air compared to the turgid turds we were served up against Cardiff.

Are you saying Matt Beard is going to be the next manager of the mens team?

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Are you saying Matt Beard is going to be the next manager of the mens team?

No, but it does help to show that a new conductor might get a better tune out of the orchestra. Having said that, since I've posted they've not looked so good :(

That Ebony Salmon could probably do a job in the team.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Somerset Live is quite a piece of work. At least 60% is pure clickbait; other "stories" look suspiciously like paid-for advertorials.

I don't blame the staff, who probably entered journalism thinking they were going to be the new Woodwards and Bernstiens, but now find themselves having to rewrite stories about yodelling dogs from Cheshire, in order to pay their rent.

Yodeling dogs you say ? 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Stories taken from around the group, in an attempt to create a headline, to scare the readers of that areas publication. Most of the time they are absolutely nothing to do with the area but, it would appear readers are influenced by those headlines.

I see so many stories on those “live” pages that appear to be the latest news only to find that they are sometimes 2 years old.  Most newspaper websites are god awful.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

It's not the job of universities to correct grammar and spelling; that should be sorted at primary school.

The general level of written English in this country is shocking: witness the errors in use of "your/you're", or "their/there/they're".

And don't get me started on apostrophes...

it's not necessarily about correcting grammar, it's about constructing sentences and writing coherently. There's many students who don't have English as a first language who can write better than British students.

My favourite is lose/loose :ranting:

A recent one I've noticed is sale/sell

2 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Not really, 4 goals in 2 games have come from his side, you might not be naturally left footed, but his experience should suggest that he would know the basics, i.e. not letting the man cut inside him, even that has been lacking. I get why we signed him,to cover Jack Hunt when Sessegnon was injured, but it looks like we signed a has-been. Total waste of a salary, up there with Brunt.

Totally agree with the first half of your post, but on the right I think he's been fine. 

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Would be pretty interesting to see what they do if Matt Bead's results end up being that much better. 1-0 City half-time.

I watched the women live for the first time today, although I have been following their results all season. 

Can someone more in the know tell me whether it's a coincidence that form has picked up under him, or is Oxtoby just out of her depth?

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

With comedy reindeer antlers on or is that taking it too far?

I bet these reporters long for the day that they can go and interview a 91 year old lady from Shepton Mallet who`s spent ten years completing a 20,000 piece jigsaw - a nailed on Pulitzer Prize right there!

One local paper I worked on, I had to interview this bloke who at the time was Britain's second oldest man.  

I had him down in my book for three days ahead, but then something came up and I had to put him off for a couple of days. On the day of the rebooked interview his son phoned me and said because his house had some workmen in, could I reschedule it until next week. It would be a better picture, he explained. I rang back on the second rebooked time and found the old chap had carked it over the weekend. 

7 hours ago, chinapig said:

He has the opportunity to ask tough questions but tends not to. Otherwise I agree.

I want to agree with this, Gregor has the biggest opportunity to ask tough questions and doesn't.

He doesn't have to be rude or risk his job, but he never asks questions like

"Why does the team regularly fail to create chances"? And follow up on it. He could, but he doesn't.

We had one shot on target which was a non dangerous free kick. That's a question a journo has to ask. We'll see.

24 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

One local paper I worked on, I had to interview this bloke who at the time was Britain's second oldest man.  

I had him down in my book for three days ahead, but then something came up and I had to put him off for a couple of days. On the day of the rebooked interview his son phoned me and said because his house had some workmen in, could I reschedule it until next week. It would be a better picture, he explained. I rang back on the second rebooked time and found the old chap had carked it over the weekend. 

The selfish git, didn’t he think of you and your paper ? 

It's a tough job for Gregor, its the definition of damned if you do damned if you don't for him. Criticise the club when the team plays badly and they'll completely freeze him out, don't criticise the club and the fans say he's weak and won't ask the tough questions. 

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This all goes back to the lowering of standards in education.

I note that many youngsters who come out of University haven’t even got a grasp of basic spelling or grammar.

:dunno:

People saying "of" instead of "have" is annoying.

7 hours ago, SecretSam said:

It's not the job of universities to correct grammar and spelling; that should be sorted at primary school.

The general level of written English in this country is shocking: witness the errors in use of "your/you're", or "their/there/they're".

And don't get me started on apostrophes...

" I would of thought"….... and many other grammatical mistakes. Do the schools still include English Grammar in the curriculum?

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

" I would of thought"….... and many other grammatical mistakes. Do the schools still include English Grammar in the curriculum?

Yes they do and to be honest, it's as likely to be oldies making grammatical howlers as youngsters in my experience.

As someone who spent much of my career involved in correcting errors and who co-wrote BBC News Online's style guide and sat on the corporation's "style council" (oh, how we laughed), I'm actually fairly relaxed about standards of written English.

Some things are signs of an evolving language. Phrases alter subtly; words change meaning; punctuation itself evolves.

Purists get irate about things that became arbitrary grammar rules at some point, but were never, historically, part of English: No split infinitives, for example.  Again, I'm relaxed.

Written English should be clear and concise. 

I think publications should uphold certain standards of course, but how ordinary folk talk and write concerns me less, providing they are understandable.

I wont bore people with the saga of how, for instance, I fought for "email" rather than "e-mail".  Victorian editors were doing the same over "etc" rather than "et.c". 

Archived