IGNORED

Williams and Lansbury

Major Isewater

Just now, Major Isewater said:

I didn’t, luckily, watch the match yesterday but I thought Williams and Lansbury were meant to stop us having displays like this ?

Are they both ring rusty ?

Was It too risky throwing both into the team at the same time? 

What is your verdict on these two players view the little time sample ? 

Both looked rusty and was a stupid decision to play both at once.

William's I thought looked miles off the pace and his touch was poor at times.

Lansbury i thought looked ok but tired 2nd half. Would have been much better starting one of them with HNM and another. We really didnt get to grips with the game in CM. I do think though when they are up to pace we have some decent options there.

Isn't it funny how we all thought top 8 top 10  was a good position for an injury-struck team with so many 'great hopes' to come back. Then the club is slaughtered for not getting serious injurues 'repaired' overnight and then when they come into games and play badly it is DH's fault! Lansbury is the sort of signing the club have done brilliantly to land but on a poor debut the manager gets blamed for CM performances 

Next well be informed SL could have spent even more on more players so expect our owner to get some blame for the team having an off day in Sheffield this week! 

6 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Isn't it funny how we all thought top 8 top 10  was a good position for an injury-struck team with so many 'great hopes' to come back. Then the club is slaughtered for not getting serious injurues 'repaired' overnight and then when they come into games and play badly it is DH's fault! Lansbury is the sort of signing the club have done brilliantly to land but on a poor debut the manager gets blamed for CM performances 

Next well be informed SL could have spent even more on more players so expect our owner to get some blame for the team having an off day in Sheffield this week! 

I dont think anyone is saying they are bad players but it was a silly decision to play 2 players alongside each other who aren't match fit. That is Holdens fault. It wasn't like he didnt have any other options. 

Whilst a lot of people were buzzing when the team was announced, it just seemed like a massive gamble to me. A bit desperate even.

After the Brentford game, I actually felt a abit of positivity. I thought we competed fairly well at times especially first half so to completely rip that up was absolutely ridiculous - almost as ridiculous as persisting with Mariappa at LB.

It would have been progress and a big boost just to see Williams and Lansbury on the bench or maybe one of them starting.

Both showed flashes of quality, but both also looked like they lacked real sharpness (expected) and also an understanding of the team and the system (also expected).

And then to take Massengo off (again) the one midfielder we had on who was actually doing okay, looked energetic and was getting forward just capped it off for me. 

It was probably the worst performance of the season. And that’s saying something.

Poor choice to play both from the start, for the first time.

Someone like McCarthy would have said to his players - those two in the middle haven't played together before, are both making their first league starts, whilst one has been injured since the summer. Oh by the way, don't forget to get down the left side of their defence, because they have a square peg in a round hole.

It's tactically naive by Larry, Curly, and Moe, to expect Lansbury and Williams to come in and win the midfield battles there against a physical team, especially when one has not played competitive football since the end of last season, and only had about 2 hours of u23 action under his belt.

Mick McCarthy is not someone who I would enjoy watching football under, but he sure as hell would not be as easy to outwit than Dean Holden.

26 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

The performance & tactics of DH are in question here not necessarily the players recruited or coming back from injury.

DH & his team chose the starting 11 & I’d say its (unusually so) pretty unanimous on here that it was wrong. It’s what is so frustrating & shows our real weakness is the coaching team.

The manager was desperate before the game so it was nothing more than a roll of the dice. 

To have 2 players who are not at peak match fitness, who've never played together before, at the most pivotal place on the pitch was nothing more than a gamble. And he lost. 

12 minutes ago, Taz said:

Mick McCarthy is not someone who I would enjoy watching football under, but he sure as hell would not be as easy to outwit than Dean Holden.

There is the oft quoted Neil Warnock story. At a job interview he was asked if the supporters would like to watch his style of play. “They’d enjoy watching the team win for a change” he replied. He didn’t get the job. Mick McCarthy’s teams didn’t play exciting football when he was at Ipswich, but he was operating on a minuscule budget and he kept them in the Championship 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

The manager was desperate before the game so it was nothing more than a roll of the dice. 

To have 2 players who are not at peak match fitness, who've never played together before, at the most pivotal place on the pitch was nothing more than a gamble. And he lost. 

It's like taking 2-1 odds to roll a six, when you've already been offered evens to flip a coin.

47 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I thought looking at the videos of Lansbury he played as a forward midfielder rather than a defensive mid he played yesterday, anyone know his best position?

Yea as if playing a midfield combo that had not played together before, and 2 looking rusty wasn't bad enough. When you then play them out of their best positions it's no surprise really. I'd say you need a Bakinson in there if you're going to play both so he can break up play and protect the defence a bit more

20 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There is the oft quoted Neil Warnock story. At a job interview he was asked if the supporters would like to watch his style of play. “They’d enjoy watching the team win for a change” he replied. He didn’t get the job. Mick McCarthy’s teams didn’t play exciting football when he was at Ipswich, but he was operating on a minuscule budget and he kept them in the Championship 

Ironically , that was at Middlesbrough , a fair few years back 

As for McCarthy , personally , he was my solid choice post Johnson 

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Williams been injured from about July? Only played a few days before. So really not surprising he looked very rusty. But seemed to be improving 2nd half. 

Lansbury however been fit all season. Didn't Holden say he is really fit and training well?

He played in the single pivot role in front of the defence and looked like he has never played there before. Stupid challenge to get a yellow and lucky to not get a 2nd yellow in 2nd half.

Dived in recklessly to Wilson in the box and surprised Wilson didn't dive as he probably could have won a penalty.

And generally just didn't look anywhere near as good as Bakinson, Nagy or Vyner do in that role. I don't think Lansbury has ever played that kind of role before. Did we really need a Brunt replacement?

He's experienced at championship level, but inexperienced in that role. He looked lost and I don't usually say this about players, but I don't think he looked completely up for it.

Vyner came on and was far better. Actually our best player yesterday for simply doing quite well in that role. That's how crap we were! 

I thought Lansbury would be brought in as either a narrow wide right player or much more advanced, more like his Forest days where he scored goals.

Clueless if this is the role he has been brought in to play when we have good options there. 

Williams got no problem with, he's a very good championship player who is much more of a Weimann or O'Dowda type in how he doesn't stop running. Lansbury however looked like a luxury yesterday in a defensive area of the pitch. 

Hopefully he proves me very wrong!

You & I never agree on much,,but good post...

Lansbury's an attacking midfielder with an eye for goal,,not in any way anything else so very odd to have him 'sit....

As regards fitness I believe he's played less than a handful of games this season...fitness not reletive to match sharpness imo...

Indeed,,more square pegs in round holes - left back being another case in point!!!

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Poor choice to play both from the start, for the first time.

Someone like McCarthy would have said to his players - those two in the middle haven't played together before, are both making their first league starts, whilst one has been injured since the summer. Oh by the way, don't forget to get down the left side of their defence, because they have a square peg in a round hole.

It's tactically naive by Larry, Curly, and Moe, to expect Lansbury and Williams to come in and win the midfield battles there against a physical team, especially when one has not played competitive football since the end of last season, and only had about 2 hours of u23 action under his belt.

Great post. Absolute nail on head.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

He rolled the dice again and got a one (as usual).

As well as being a poor manager/head coach/whateveryouwanttocallit, he's crap at craps.

Archived