IGNORED

"Didn't turn up" performances - the history

Olé

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

His worst appointment was:

image.thumb.png.aa0f998c659d21ebbcb21aa5f045c126.png

The gall of the “rejoined” word.

Brought in during McIness’s reign as a Consultant (through his own Tactical Change Ltd business).  Introduced Player Database and Software.  That went well didn’t it?  Needed SOD and Burt, then Cotts and Burt to sort out the mess.

Then SL brings him back in Dec 2015 to play the grim reaper and get rid of Cotts.  Cotts must’ve knew the writing was on the wall when he entered the club.

But how effin’ naive do you (SL) have to be to take a consultancy recommendation that recommends that the consultant joins the company as COO, brings in his mate / relation and Tactical Change Ltd Sports Business Consultant (Luke Werhun) on Day 1.

I’ve worked with enough consultancy companies to know their agenda is to get their own “consultants” into the company....and charge out.  SL must know this, surely?

He then sacks the Head of Recruitment (Keith Burt) as soon as he possibly can (March 2016), allowing the consultant, sorry employee, now firmly getting his feet comfy to promote himself to CEO (and directorship too), and promote his mate to Head of Operations.  Burt will’ve seen right through him, so had to go.  The Burt role, Head of Recruitment also had control of player budgets too, so very effective in being able to evaluate performance objectively.  Take that under a different structure and easy to hide objectivity....all part of the plan.  £300k pay in 2017, £520k in 2020.

You couldn’t make it up @Harry,could you?

do you think they'll get rid? 

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think what "didn't turn up" was attacking intent.

It's right to say that the Blades came looking for a 0-0.

However you can only Park the Bus for 90 minutes if you're very good at it.  United weren't, which is why they were getting battered that season left-right-and-centre. 

A side sitting back and inviting pressure should've been meat and drink. A happy hunting ground.

But we were more concerned with keeping possession than we were with launching any coherent attacks.

The result was a snoozefest which both managers take equal blame for.

One reason I was able to fall asleep was their was no one sitting in the three seats next to me. The guys who were normally there had stopped attending a few games before. As had much of the block I sit in.

Oh, I agree that it was a horrible game.  But the managers comments say it all - Sheff U came for a point and got 3. 
This game was symptomatic of the malaise that had started a year and a half before (under a certain ‘consultant’), where a crap and ageing/injury prone team was put together to see our hapless relegation and then we had to try to rebuild on a shoestring, and remove highly paid useless players. 
History is repeating. If we want to avoid another turgid 0-1 loss against a crap opponent in 18 months time, we need to act now. 

54 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Apologies for the poor ish quality but this was shown on TV during the Brentford match coverage. 4 more games than any other side. 

We’re bloody boring to watch. 

230FDF2E-28EB-4E18-ADD9-A052C3511B6A.jpeg

I think you've summed it up perfectly City are just boring to watch it's just so painful too you are just hoping and believing it will get better and it very rarely does very sad

Clearly I’m in the minority here but have some sympathy for Holden here. I’m not too sure how much coaching can actually be done when there’s a game every 3 days and half the team are injured.

Rather than having the time to work with the players there’s only time for allowing the players to recover before going again. This has probably exacerbated Holden tinkering around trying to find a system that works and obviously the whole world knows we have a problem down our left side.

I was underwhelmed by Holden’s appointment but not really sure whether anyone would do any better in these circumstances, I’m also slightly bemused about all the Ashton vitriol as he is also an employee and so largely has to do as he’s told as let’s now forget the financial state of the country let alone football has changed considerably in the last 10 months 

i

1 minute ago, walnutroof said:

Clearly I’m in the minority here but have some sympathy for Holden here. I’m not too sure how much coaching can actually be done when there’s a game every 3 days and half the team are injured.

Rather than having the time to work with the players there’s only time for allowing the players to recover before going again. This has probably exacerbated Holden tinkering around trying to find a system that works and obviously the whole world knows we have a problem down our left side.

I was underwhelmed by Holden’s appointment but not really sure whether anyone would do any better in these circumstances, I’m also slightly bemused about all the Ashton vitriol as he is also an employee and so largely has to do as he’s told as let’s now forget the financial state of the country let alone football has changed considerably in the last 10 months 

Thanks Mrs Ashton/Mrs Holden 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

It's a commonly held view that the quality of our football has been getting worse "for a few years" and we seem fairly regularly simply "not turn up".

We can all think of games that fall in this category - the absolute stinkers - but I thought it would be interesting to see the actual frequency of them.

This is partly subjective, partly statistics - so you can take your pick. Below is our last 5 seasons, with rows for shots on target and goals conceded.

I chose those as in it's basic form not turning up for me is being a non-existent attacking threat, or conceding too easily, or a combination of the two.

But I've also overlaid my own memories from truly dire fixtures (the scores in black) which to me were the absolute embodiment of us not turning up. 

You can argue the toss on those, I imagine I've probably been a little bit more generous than others would have been, calling out only the truly worst.

Nothing here particularly surprises me - however it bears out that the football has got much worse, and Holden looks in more trouble than I'd realised:

• The 3-4 occasions per season in earlier years with our team simply not turning up is probably about right for an ultimately mid-table club
  • Last season was much worse for these non-existent displays (at least 7 in my memory - others might say more towards end of LJ's reign)
  • You can also see consistent decline in shots on target relative to our prior seasons too - that feeling there is nothing to get excited about
  • Shots on target is now consistently at its worst ever now, and "hit rate" of not turning up in Holden's recent run eclipse anything in the past
  • I've selected 22 stinkers in 5 years and over 200 games. 12 of them are more or less in the past 12 months. 5 of them in the last 11 games

959359678_Screenshot2021-02-07at13_44_03.thumb.png.03bb931581d89a11b2b24174d5cfc1f0.png

It would be interesting to see how our shots on target this season compare verses our last couple of relegation seasons. I don't imagine for a minute that it would have been any worse.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Brought in during McIness’s reign as a Consultant (through his own Tactical Change Ltd business).  Introduced Player Database and Software.  That went well didn’t it?  Needed SOD and Burt, then Cotts and Burt to sort out the mess.

Then SL brings him back in Dec 2015 to play the grim reaper and get rid of Cotts.  Cotts must’ve knew the writing was on the wall when he entered the club.

But how effin’ naive do you (SL) have to be to take a consultancy recommendation that recommends that the consultant joins the company as COO, brings in his mate / relation and Tactical Change Ltd Sports Business Consultant (Luke Werhun) on Day 1.

I’ve worked with enough consultancy companies to know their agenda is to get their own “consultants” into the company....and charge out.  SL must know this, surely?

He then sacks the Head of Recruitment (Keith Burt) as soon as he possibly can (March 2016), allowing the consultant, sorry employee, now firmly getting his feet comfy to promote himself to CEO (and directorship too), and promote his mate to Head of Operations.  Burt will’ve seen right through him, so had to go.  The Burt role, Head of Recruitment also had control of player budgets too, so very effective in being able to evaluate performance objectively.  Take that under a different structure and easy to hide objectivity....all part of the plan.  £300k pay in 2017, £520k in 2020.

Naive is the worrying word. However, this does begin to surprise me less and less, as I reach the latter years of my working days. Reflecting on my working experiences I conclude that just because someone is highly successful in business doesn’t make them brilliant in all sorts of business. Seems obvious but we all assume people like Lansdown are savvy enough to tackle most business situations. Indeed the best are usually savvy enough to seek the brightest and best to employ to make their goals come to reality. Think how Alan Sugar found the whole football business baffling and whatever you might think of him, you would say that he was pretty streetwise. What bothers me is that you would think that Lansdown might see through this cr*p and appoint someone who has a real plan. He must have sought out some advice and reference from well respected people in the football business. But then again, maybe Ashton is respected throughout those echelons of the game. God help us! 

27 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

i

Are they.

Kalas, Mawson, Hunt, Pato, Williams, all back

Walsh and Pring have never been part of the team

Sesseignon, Weiman, Martin, COD out injured. Would they all have started on Saturday, I doubt it. So that's a third of the team not half.

I am getting a little tired of the injuries excuse. We have enough talent available to put up a good display / performance against any side in the Championship. It isn't injuries that are hampering us.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Since I returned to AG with Joe in 13/14, it is the worst game I’ve watched.  Both teams were shit, not just City.  The only good thing was seeing Maguire for the first time, and he crashed a 40-yarder off the bar.  It was typical that the winner was an own-goal - Flint obliging.

I do not remember going to a game as bad as that pre-Joe.  Some of the games in the past two years have got close.

That game is the worst I’ve seen at AG, ever. I’d say yesterday was the worst I’ve seen since the AG redevelopment. 

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

The home game v Burton which finished 0-0, they had about minus 68 goal difference at the time - that was a dog of a game to watch. 

And the 0-0 the following year at home too. Those were the only two games I managed to persuade the missus to go to. Safe to say she hasn't been keen since...

2 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

And the 0-0 the following year at home too. Those were the only two games I managed to persuade the missus to go to. Safe to say she hasn't been keen since...

My missus has been to one: the 1-3 tonking by Leeds on the opening day of last season.

She wasn't pestering me to come to any others after that!  :rofl2br:

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

One big omission for me is the final game of 2016/17 at home to Birmingham.

Undefeated [4 wins and a draw] in the previous 5, could have ended the season on a high in front of a capacity crowd and, more importantly, got Birmingham City relegated.We just didn't show up against a Blues side with Cotts and Redknapp in charge

I remember that game as well. But i came away from the Gate smiling from ear to ear, was my lads first ever game! At least he kept me entertained. COYR

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Best post I’ve ever read on OTIB. Nail firmly on the head, @Davefevs ??????

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There aren't enough "Flame" emojis on the entire internet for this post. 

The issue I have with the low number of shots on target is that Holden fills his line ups with attacking players and seems to promote an attacking philosophy. 

If we were negative and defensive and the tactic was to keep clean sheets and play on the break, you could understand the awful xG.

But the actual more worrying problem is that Holden can't get the players to effect his plan.

Archived