IGNORED

Our strength

The turtle

When teams prepare for us the week/days before the game, what do you think our strengths are considered to be? 

Mccarthy was pretty clear he saw our left side was weak, we all know it.  

We  have also struggled for years with teams that sit in. Furthermore, Both v Brentford and Cardiff in different ways we knew what was coming, couldn't stop it. 

But what are our strengths? , what are the things teams have to stop us from doing or we'll punish them?

Gregor eventually, after reading the forum, and being about 6 months behind everyone here, and after being pushed by fans to, finally asked LJ what our identity was.

Busy bees.

I don't think we're even busy anymore.

I think our current identity is "injured".

What are we strong at? Getting injured. Being soft.

When I do my “what can I expect” previews most teams aren’t too difficult to define.  There are a few that aren’t your stereotypes, e.g. Boro aren’t long ball, just because Warnock is in charge, but I’d find it hard to describe City at the mo.  The 352 earlier this season would’ve been easy to write about, not so easy to beat though.  It was well structured.  Now it’s patternless, without structure.  Good luck Chris Wilder....but he’ll just play his game.

On the most part for this season I'd have said once we take the lead we had a capability of holding onto a lead, Barnsley being a stupid last minute penalty and Brentford as a quality team being the standout examples where we haven't held on. It does however require taking the lead.

15 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Well up until Brentford we’d won 12 and drawn 1 of 13 where we’d taken the lead. So that? However what the opposite is I dread to think.....

We are generally pretty resilient and clinical. We don't get many chances but we have a decent conversion rate.

Defence is strong when we have a left back with a left foot.

Fammy can be quality on his day and is a consistent scorer.

Not much strength in midfield sadly.

45 minutes ago, The turtle said:

When teams prepare for us the week/days before the game, what do you think our strengths are considered to be? 

Mccarthy was pretty clear he saw our left side was weak, we all know it.  

We  have also struggled for years with teams that sit in. Furthermore, Both v Brentford and Cardiff in different ways we knew what was coming, couldn't stop it. 

But what are our strengths? , what are the things teams have to stop us from doing or we'll punish them?

At this time, NOWT!

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On that note, just watching MOTD and commentator said Rhian Brewster is yet to score for Sheffield Utd. I don’t really bet, but I’d stick a tenner on him scoring Wednesday. 

Our identity is basically to give every stuttering,  winless, struggling side or out of form player the boost they need to re-start their campaigns. I’d love to see the analysis to support it, but it does seem we’re basically a charity on this front.

25 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

On that note, just watching MOTD and commentator said Rhian Brewster is yet to score for Sheffield Utd. I don’t really bet, but I’d stick a tenner on him scoring Wednesday.

Yeh he will probably will score as in championship he did well with Swansea. Luckily for him he’ll be playing there all season next time out. 

are strengths we have none, great names on the team sheet bunch of pansy's on the grass.in all my years i have never known such a weak bunch of players. Bullied by every side in the league. I bet all are players was crap at british bulldog in the school yard break,could not fight there way out of a wet paper bag bloody wet lettuces the lot of them. Can you tell i hate losing to them welsh lot

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

We are generally pretty resilient and clinical. We don't get many chances but we have a decent conversion rate.

Defence is strong when we have a left back with a left foot.

Fammy can be quality on his day and is a consistent scorer.

Not much strength in midfield sadly.

You got there before me!

I actually think Nakhi and Famara can be pretty deadly with the ball to their feet in the box.

Trouble is getting it there!

Some of our (few) decent results have been against teams who have outfought us but whose frontmen can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

You got there before me!

I actually think Nakhi and Famara can be pretty deadly with the ball to their feet in the box.

Trouble is getting it there!

Some of our (few) decent results have been against teams who have outfought us but whose frontmen can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Famara is perhaps the striker in the division is most overperforming on their xG ie further away from the line, perhaps to an unsustainable level, the rest are all under performing

Just championship games btw

xG vs G's.PNG

Our strengths:

We can on occasion counter quickly

Our weaknesses:

No cover on the left

We can't create chances of the opposition sit deep to prevent counters

We're easily pressed off of the ball

We can't create any type of possession once a team sit back because we've only got one gameplan, counter attack. 

We still don't have a formation that we stick to meaning players roles are ever-changing

We can't identify our own players strengths or positions

Etc

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Our goal keeper, nothing in front of Bentley to remotely worry an opposition manager. 

There could be though Alan. I'm convinced we're not seeing the best sum of the parts. That's by far the biggest frustration for me. Has been for a few seasons now. All banter aside, there are plenty of good things about our beloved club. What we've been lacking though is a head coach/ manager of the calibre to put the pieces together to unlock the potential. Recruitment decision making in this department has been baffling. 

Archived