IGNORED

Switching utility bills

daored

4 hours ago, Taz said:

Use a comparison website, enter your details, pick the best option, and you're done.

New company contact the existing one, port you over, jobs a good 'un, sit back and have a cup of tea.

Wasn’t sure if you had to cancel your existing supplier to cancel - thank you 

41 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

You do need to be sure you`re not tied into some deal with your current supplier though so you don`t get hit with penalties for early termination.

Very good advice actually, make that the first thing to check.

I dont wish to hijack this thread, but I would like one question answered. It fits the topic (slightly - utilities) 

I am on a pre-pay meter and I'm a renter. Now I wish to change my meter to a direct debit one. Sites like USwitch and MoneySavingExpert tells me, that I dont even need to let my landlord know I want to change the meter. (Direct debit is cheaper than pre-pay) If I had a direct debit meter I can pay 50 quid a month for the year, currently in the winter months, I'm paying up to 50 quid a week! Just to keep the place warm but £10 quid in the summer would last a week and a half! 

Just how true is this? Can I simply just change the meter over without letting him know? Suppliers will change your meter for free, and if a smart meter, my landlord wouldnt have a problem asking for that to be pre-pay when I move out as all he has to do is ask for it instead of changing the meter. 

Apologies for the 1 question, didnt want to make a brand new thread over it. 

As for OP's question. Its very easy. When I first moved into one of my old flats, an NPower rep knocked on my door and said "do you wanna switch?" I was young and naive with a sheltered childhood and this was my first flat, I had no idea what was happening. But I agreed and it was done. NPower did all the work, I was with them. 

19 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I dont wish to hijack this thread, but I would like one question answered. It fits the topic (slightly - utilities) 

I am on a pre-pay meter and I'm a renter. Now I wish to change my meter to a direct debit one. Sites like USwitch and MoneySavingExpert tells me, that I dont even need to let my landlord know I want to change the meter. (Direct debit is cheaper than pre-pay) If I had a direct debit meter I can pay 50 quid a month for the year, currently in the winter months, I'm paying up to 50 quid a week! Just to keep the place warm but £10 quid in the summer would last a week and a half! 

Just how true is this? Can I simply just change the meter over without letting him know? Suppliers will change your meter for free, and if a smart meter, my landlord wouldnt have a problem asking for that to be pre-pay when I move out as all he has to do is ask for it instead of changing the meter. 

Apologies for the 1 question, didnt want to make a brand new thread over it. 

As for OP's question. Its very easy. When I first moved into one of my old flats, an NPower rep knocked on my door and said "do you wanna switch?" I was young and naive with a sheltered childhood and this was my first flat, I had no idea what was happening. But I agreed and it was done. NPower did all the work, I was with them. 

Check your contract, it may state tou aren't permitted to do anything like that without prior consent being given. Landlord may have had it put in to prevent his tenants by running up huge bills and leaving. If that were to happen, I'm pretty sure he would then be liable to pay it. If it's prepaid, he's not going to be left with any outstanding debt when you move out (which I'm sure you wouldn't do).

Explain your situation to them, say its costing stupid amounts of money, and you were wondering about changing it. Would be better than annoying your landlord if he didn't want it changed.

23 minutes ago, Taz said:

he's not going to be left with any outstanding debt when you move out

Thanks for your reply, I shall have to make a long lengthy search for my contract and have a read (if I can find it haha). However as its direct debit coming out of your bank card details. I don't think the debt would be landlords problem if I do move. The company would be asking me wherever I moved because I'm the payee and thats that. They have my details and I would owe them (that is, if I did such a thing) 

Edit: infact the Landlord can say I moved out on so and so and thus the bill is passed to me. 

3 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Thanks for your reply, I shall have to make a long lengthy search for my contract and have a read (if I can find it haha). However as its direct debit coming out of your bank card details. I don't think the debt would be landlords problem if I do move. The company would be asking me wherever I moved because I'm the payee and thats that. They have my details and I would owe them (that is, if I did such a thing) 

Edit: infact the Landlord can say I moved out on so and so and thus the bill is passed to me. 

That's true about moving out, but (and I may be wrong on this - not up on law etc) because the property is in their name, and the services are for that property, if you were just to disappear off the face of the earth and leave no forwarding address, I'm pretty sure the landlord would be liable for it.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

That's true about moving out, but (and I may be wrong on this - not up on law etc) because the property is in their name, and the services are for that property, if you were just to disappear off the face of the earth and leave no forwarding address, I'm pretty sure the landlord would be liable for it.

Not the case. Very much the debt of the named account holder and consumer. I know this from personal experience. The energy company went after the absent tenant for the outstanding debt.

They do all they can to track them down.

17 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Not the case. Very much the debt of the named account holder and consumer. I know this from personal experience. The energy company went after the absent tenant for the outstanding debt.

They do all they can to track them down.

They do try and bully the new tenant into paying it even though they have no right to - this can be a real pain once they pass it to a collection agency who don`t give a shit who they upset as long as they get their money. This is a problem not solely confined to utility companies though.

You also have to be careful that former tenants` debts of any sort don`t end up on your credit record as they are often linked to the address as well as the person.

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They do try and bully the new tenant into paying it even though they have no right to - this can be a real pain once they pass it to a collection agency who don`t give a shit who they upset as long as they get their money. This is a problem not solely confined to utility companies though.

You also have to be careful that former tenants` debts of any sort don`t end up on your credit record as they are often linked to the address as well as the person.

I can only say that was not my experience. SSE very much went after the absent account holder.

Guess it varies from company to company.

I signed up on “look after my bills” they find you the best deal each time you’re eligible to switch and do everything for you

Dead easy and I’m now on a tariff that’s currently 10% lower than i was previously paying

Mind you with home working it’ll prob go right up with the amount of time the heating is on now!

On 15/02/2021 at 12:58, The Gasbuster said:

As suppliers go, then Octopus Energy are very good, customer service is first class.

octopus.energy

Go to their website and they will complete the switching.

I’ve not long switched from Utilita to octopus , not that there was anything wrong but Octopus was recommended by a friend and we went for it , all very easy and they’ve been brilliant, everything is documented via email and even monthly DD payments are notified by email, great service and communication. 

Archived