IGNORED

OSIB podcast.

Bassomylord

I love OSIB and it usually forms an essential part of my cooking Sunday tea or washing up thereafter. 

Glad they still opt to bleep the swear words as the kids are still roaming about while it's on the background. 

All I can do is echo a few of the comments made so far. There are good episodes and not so good ones. There are good contributers and not so good ones. That doesn't stop me agreeing with a contributor I am not keen on or disagreeing with one I usually agree with. 

The last episode wasn't up there with OSIBs greatest but then the match they were following up on was bloody awful anyway. Yeah the watching the cricket gag had the arse kicked out of it but I got the point. 

Having said that, the section where they discussed "are things really that bad?" made me stop and think and, on the whole, agree they're not. 

If I would criticise anything about OSIB, my comment would be that @Shtanley can at times be a bit dismissive of the listeners opinions and it can get a bit too "knowing"

I like the randomness and the Harry food stuff, the occasional tangents the conversations can take and things that crop up. 

I couldn't give a poop about sponsorship. That's entirely down to the OSIB team. What makes me laugh at the start of every episode is how little enthusiasm @Shtanley puts into the mansion bet advert. Compare that to the gusto that Robinsatthegate put into the same text and you can see Stan is taking the cash for minimum effort. 

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I used to listen to OSIB, it's always taken a while to get going and I didn't care about the sponsorship. What made me stop was the "food" section, not sure why it was there, didn't find it specially funny, but that's fine. I've tried the others, dipped in and out and they all have pluses and minuses. If I'm going to listen to one now it's FBC. Few reasons, but they balance being a Misog , with being a fan and add in a little bit of knowledge and tactics. I think there are enough Podcasts around to satisfy everyones choice, they all seem slightly different, which has to be a good thing IMO. I do steer clear of the clubs version though. 

Why don’t you just fast forward the food bit? It was 3 mins out of a 60-90 min podcast

Just so you know, it’s not on there anymore 

• Like 1

It was worth sticking with it all the way through for Harry’s ‘the I love you that is Dean Henderson’ comment, completely out of nowhere! 

On the whole a very good podcast, some guests I enjoy some I really don’t but not a lot I can do about it, they all tend to add something different. 

48 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Great post, thanks for the detailed reply.

I think you actually do a good job of getting the balance right re: critique and balance. Just more curious if from your pov the access you’ve had is at the back of your mind.

Nah I totally get it honestly - guess it’s the balance like you say. I always think if you spend all the time raving about how bad Ashton is (for example) for the club, you probably have to tow that line forever unless there’s big changes. Were people saying it when we were 1-0 up against wolves and flying high that season? No but suddenly at the end of that season he’s an issue again somehow

21 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

Tried this for the first time today.....absolutely dreadful.

First im subjected to a shamless gambling plug, then a Facebook group and then they start talking about Cricket? Are the presenters serious or trying to take the piss with their comments.....I couldn't work out if it was a failed comedy sketch or a genuine serious BCFC podcast. Toilet and phone jokes? Sorry. Terrible.

All 3 of those on the podcast don't seem to know anything about football tactics Bristol City or anything football related.

The one by Headhunter I think is better.....they actually talk about football tactics and the club....straight forward Bristol City talk. Not faultless.

Sorry. Absolute garbage.

Different strokes for different folks.

OSIB has always been the more irreverent, but also positive of the podcasts. 

I like Forever Bristol because I enjoy listening to older men moan about city.

I also enjoy OSIB as it’s more like chatting with my mates. We all gave opinions, but are lucid enough to realise they probably don’t carry much weight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why don’t you just fast forward the food bit? It was 3 mins out of a 60-90 min podcast

Just so you know, it’s not on there anymore 

It's more of how / where the Pod seems to be aimed.  It's just not my thing.

All been said already, but I think OSIB is ace and so are the other podcasts, I listen to them all and it really helps me it through the week and lockdown and keeps me off depression of a different kind which is not city induced... . I listen when I do all the chores around the house and happy with all the different styles on offer with the various podcasts.

Others have said the OSIB podcast covering the Cardiff game was one of the poorer ones to listen to, but I don't agree, I think it actually summed up the game and the general depressing view of the "average Joe" BCFC fans like myself... We did not need detailed analysis, anyone who watched it know we got bullied and a canny old manager outwitted us and exploited the very obvious weakness we have down the left. It was not rocket science.

Those who have listened before will totally understand the in-jokes and I laughed out loud when one of the contributors (who is always good value, but the name escaped me), said "yes Stanley you could talk about cricket and jokes, but the problem is you know nothing about cricket and you not funny!" made I laugh anyway... The point was "the footy on offer from city was so bad, the podcast pretended to talk about something else.... Hence summing up how I felt right then....

• Like 2

I gotta say, I'm new here, but I have to completely agree with the OP. Harry food was out of position, doing a preview instead of talking about what curry he's eaten recently. And while we're on the topic of curry, they went on a fine run of form talking about curry for five to 10 minutes before talking about anything football related. I can't use any of that information because I don't live in Bristol, but it's an absolute tragedy that it's gone. 0/10

37 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

All been said already, but I think OSIB is ace and so are the other podcasts, I listen to them all and it really helps me it through the week and lockdown and keeps me off depression of a different kind which is not city induced... . I listen when I do all the chores around the house and happy with all the different styles on offer with the various podcasts.

Others have said the OSIB podcast covering the Cardiff game was one of the poorer ones to listen to, but I don't agree, I think it actually summed up the game and the general depressing view of the "average Joe" BCFC fans like myself... We did not need detailed analysis, anyone who watched it know we got bullied and a canny old manager outwitted us and exploited the very obvious weakness we have down the left. It was not rocket science.

Those who have listened before will totally understand the in-jokes and I laughed out loud when one of the contributors (who is always good value, but the name escaped me), said "yes Stanley you could talk about cricket and jokes, but the problem is you know nothing about cricket and you not funny!" made I laugh anyway... The point was "the footy on offer from city was so bad, the podcast pretended to talk about something else.... Hence summing up how I felt right then....

Ive literally just got in from work and was also going to write a 5 STAR ITunes type review (Even though i still havent received my stickers Stanley Hughes despite being a Patreon) but I can only agree 100% with your view. Like I said in an earlier post "if" you dont like it then either dont subscribe or dont download - Its not rocket science.  Personally like in the dim and distant past sitting down on a Saturday morning and watching from start to finish TISAWS - OSIB is unmissable.  Stanley Hughes is obviously Chris Tarrant.  I will let you come to your own conclusion "who" Sally James equivalent is, but..................

The Phantom Flan Flinger HAS TO BE M.Ashton ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

3. Have honest debate 

4. A bit of research.

Do you not see the irony Simon Lez Parker?

Nice honest debate you have given of OSIB, a few bullet points granted, but let's call that an honest debate.  Whilst doing a bit of research too, aka listening to part of 1 of 150 episodes.

Edited by Banned User
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

I also enjoy OSIB as it’s more like chatting with my mates. We all gave opinions, but are lucid enough to realise they probably don’t carry much weight.

Ageist! ???

I’m 50.....yeah, actually you’re right!

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ageist! ???

I’m 50.....yeah, actually you’re right!

It’s meant as a compliment.

Traveling away to watch city, I had two distinct groups. Those my age who probably got up to much too much.

Then another group easily 15/20 years older than me. 

I loved both for different reasons.

• Like 2

Only started listening to the show last summer when I noticed Stanley on Robins TV! The particular style has been some of an influence on me, especially since I joined Bristol City Vixencast to cover City Women. I'd say OSIB & Robins At The Gate are the two City podcasts I listen to regularly (I've heard the others, but don't want to get too drowned in too many podcasts talking about the same thing!)

I rarely post on here anymore and usually just come on here to kill time and have a flick through some of the topics that sound interesting or if there’s anything big (transfers etc) happening at the club, but I had to do forgotten password to comment on this.

I went to sixth form with Stan for two years and then he was goalkeeper for the team we formed in the suburban league for the first couple of seasons before he went to uni and made the odd cameo appearance when he could after that so we know each other pretty well despite not talking much for the last couple of years.

All I can say is that in every episode I’ve heard he’s 100% being himself and in my eyes has done incredibly well to grow the podcast into what it is, from the guests he can attract, to the sponsorship from Mansion and obviously the time and effort he puts into it. 

He’s in his mid-twenties so obviously the younger viewers are probably going to ‘get’ the quirky humour a lot more and therefore as a whole maybe enjoy the podcast more in general. I’m sure there are older listeners that do still enjoy it because it’s well-prepared and despite the humour there is still a lot of real debate about important subjects around the club. Because podcasts like this the host will always have his own opinion if people don’t align with Stan’s a lot of the time they probably won’t enjoy the podcast, but overall I think he does a very good job putting it all together and the majority of people that listen to it and obviously regular listeners do enjoy it.

Like other people have mentioned there’s other podcasts out there with a different feel and probably a bit of a different target audience so there’s something for everyone.

I mean if Arsenal Fan TV can be successful then Christ I’m pretty sure there’s hope for all of our fan content.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, YCbrs said:

I rarely post on here anymore and usually just come on here to kill time and have a flick through some of the topics that sound interesting or if there’s anything big (transfers etc) happening at the club, but I had to do forgotten password to comment on this.

I went to sixth form with Stan for two years and then he was goalkeeper for the team we formed in the suburban league for the first couple of seasons before he went to uni and made the odd cameo appearance when he could after that so we know each other pretty well despite not talking much for the last couple of years.

All I can say is that in every episode I’ve heard he’s 100% being himself and in my eyes has done incredibly well to grow the podcast into what it is, from the guests he can attract, to the sponsorship from Mansion and obviously the time and effort he puts into it. 

He’s in his mid-twenties so obviously the younger viewers are probably going to ‘get’ the quirky humour a lot more and therefore as a whole maybe enjoy the podcast more in general. I’m sure there are older listeners that do still enjoy it because it’s well-prepared and despite the humour there is still a lot of real debate about important subjects around the club. Because podcasts like this the host will always have his own opinion if people don’t align with Stan’s a lot of the time they probably won’t enjoy the podcast, but overall I think he does a very good job putting it all together and the majority of people that listen to it and obviously regular listeners do enjoy it.

Like other people have mentioned there’s other podcasts out there with a different feel and probably a bit of a different target audience so there’s something for everyone.

I mean if Arsenal Fan TV can be successful then Christ I’m pretty sure there’s hope for all of our fan content.

Well as a man of nearly 60 I can say I thoroughly enjoy the podcast and it's humour as well. I would say the only thing it lacks is a greater sense of history as the memories of the contributors probably start from the late 80's at best. Having said that, they probably don't want some old gits comparing current players to Gerry Gow and John Galley or even older references. :) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well as a man of nearly 60 I can say I thoroughly enjoy the podcast and it's humour as well. I would say the only thing it lacks is a greater sense of history as the memories of the contributors probably start from the late 80's at best. Having said that, they probably don't want some old gits comparing current players to Gerry Gow and John Galley or even older references. :) 

Hahaha. I’m 40, not even a reference to Dave Rennie or Gary Shelton either!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, YCbrs said:

Sense of humour is ageless. Have you listened to Bob Mortimer? He's 61!

I'm 52 and enjoy both podcasts.

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Sense of humour is ageless. Have you listened to Bob Mortimer? He's 61!

I'm 52 and enjoy both podcasts.

Maybe I’ve overstated the importance of the age difference, I’m 26 and in all fairness there is a lot of older people on radio and TV that I find hilarious. Was just an observation as to why maybe some older fans don’t identify with OSIB as much, but I’m sure there’s plenty that do.

• Like 2

On 09/02/2021 at 12:53, 054123 said:

I've always found OSIB a good listen - good company when I'm out for a lockdown walk!

I come here for the older men moaning about City ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Either I've missed your joke, or you missed mine in that the guy in the video looks a lot like Stanley!

Sorry never seen a pic of Stanley, although i do listen to his excellent podcast..............so it's a whoosh from me!   PS I really did not visualise Stanley looking anything like that. Ha!

• Haha 1