IGNORED

OSIB podcast.

Bassomylord

22 minutes ago, ray savino said:

Absolutely, I think the fact that they seemed more relaxed and informal interviews gave the whole thing a more of a “chat down the pub” feel, it felt a more open discussion that might not have come from the normal media outlets, as naturally the interviewee often feels a bit more guarded.

Totally. Jonathan Pearce was my favourite. Carey as well very interesting. Even Jon Lansdown was more candid than usual.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Brilliant weren’t they?

Also worth FBC too:

• Bobby Gould 
  • Geoff Twentyman
  • Steve Scott 

Dave mate, sorry I've read that a few times and can't quite get it. Are you saying FBC has done interviews with those mentioned?

7 minutes ago, Henry said:

OSIB is very good, similar style to the Peter Crouch podcast. ‘Cider with..’ series is a masterclass of letting the guest just speak and tell their stories. The guests seem much more relaxed without a camera in their face.

I listened to one episode of FBC. It was a bit chaotic and stifled, as it had too many guests. Admittedly it was a early episode and I’m sure it’s improved. I can’t listen to it due to Ian being on there. He was a belter on here and he’s a belter on Twitter. Amusing to see him constantly tweets the club/local journalists with his line ups and being ignored.

Only listened to one and didn’t like it that much, who was/is Ian?

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Totally. Jonathan Pearce was my favourite. Carey as well very interesting. Even Jon Lansdown was more candid than usual.

Dave mate, sorry I've read that a few times and can't quite get it. Are you saying FBC has done interviews with those mentioned?

Yes, interviews with Steve Scott, Angus Scott, Phil Tottle, Geoff Twentyman and, most recently, Bobby Gould : www.foreverbristolcity.podbean.com 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Yeah it drives me mad when something which is free with optional attendance isn't up to the standards I expect (when I haven't made any effort to help improve it). 

Nice and positive. 

Ha. Yeah. GIMMIE A REFUND. Wait. What?

I haven't listened to the post Cardiff episode yet, but maybe they were trying to keep the level close to the dross we were served up Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Have you ever done radio mate?

You could say that! Covered City on GWR from 83-94 [station changed to all music] and also did Clubcall as a freelancer in the late 80's and through the 90's until they took on full time regional editor [Jed Pitman], did matchday PA @ Ashton Gate 93-99 [after Phil Tottle, before Sam Mason!], did a bit for Canal+ commentating on Serie A. 

One of our early Episodes detailed my City "credentials" : https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-pbxdd-e14726

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, headhunter said:

You could say that! Covered City on GWR from 83-94 [station changed to all music] and also did Clubcall as a freelancer in the late 80's and through the 90's until they took on full time regional editor [Jed Pitman], did matchday PA @ Ashton Gate 93-99 [after Phil Tottle, before Sam Mason!], did a bit for Canal+ commentating on Serie A. 

One of our early Episodes detailed my City "credentials" : https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-pbxdd-e14726

Ahhh. That’d be why I recognise the voice. You were the match day  PA during my golden years - Akinbiyi, Taylor and Goodridge! Brilliant. 

• Like 1

"Suck on that Elon Musk, you ****** gashead" ?

In reply to the OP. You're criticising a podcast which is sometimes recorded in the hosts sisters bedroom! Chill out. 

The lads do a great job in my opinion and their efforts are very much appreciated down here in Oz. 

• Like 7

Personally I like FBC and OSIB, for differing reasons, both give a varied view from the fanbase on the club and have some excellent interviews on both pods. 

I do prefer the manner in which FBC is conducted by the main interviewer, but considering OSIB came on with not much experience I think they've done well and I really enjoyed the Cider's with during the first lockdown.

• Like 4

OSIB is good, but at times is too forgiving to the mismanagement of the club and/or Holden & Ashton.

Debate is good, and trying to see all sides of the argument is admirable, but sometimes you’ve just got to call things on the pitch (or in the boardroom) as they are - currently ****ing woeful!

May give FBC a try for a few weeks, to see which I prefer. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

OSIB is good, but at times is too forgiving to the mismanagement of the club and/or Holden & Ashton.

Debate is good, and trying to see all sides of the argument is admirable, but sometimes you’ve just got to call things on the pitch (or in the boardroom) as they are - currently ****ing woeful!

May give FBC a try for a few weeks, to see which I prefer. 

Looking forward to having you online.

I dip in and out of most of them and enjoy them for what they are, a group of passionate City fans chatting about City, as if they were in the pub, car or on the walk home from a game.

Agree with some, disagree with others. Some I’d buy and drink and chat with, others I wouldn’t! 

But keep up the good work gents, all of it is much appreciated, because it’s your free time after all.

• Like 9

There’s obviously space in the market for all the ‘types’ of podcast we have and we’re lucky to have so many. 

The most boring of the lot is clearly the sanitised and unexciting ‘Robins Nest’.

The club have the luxury of access to material, especially archive stuff, that no one else does. Despite this huge creative advantage they churn out dull content every single time presented by Downsy who’s clearly a poor fit and that Mikey Cobbam(?) who they repeatedly try and shoehorn in for some reason.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There’s obviously space in the market for all the ‘types’ of podcast we have and we’re lucky to have so many. 

The most boring of the lot is clearly the sanitised and unexciting ‘Robins Nest’.

The club have the luxury of access to material, especially archive stuff, that no one else does. Despite this huge creative advantage they churn out dull content every single time presented by Downsy who’s clearly a poor fit and that Mikey Cobbam(?) who they repeatedly try and shoehorn in for some reason.

They don't want anyone who goes against the grain and would severely criticise the club, so in some ways they are restricted. I'd never listen because of this, better to leave it to the fans as anything from the club is just sanitised and not the real experience you'd want from a fans podcast. 

25 minutes ago, 2015 said:

They don't want anyone who goes against the grain and would severely criticise the club, so in some ways they are restricted. I'd never listen because of this, better to leave it to the fans as anything from the club is just sanitised and not the real experience you'd want from a fans podcast. 

Yeah for sure, a club created product will never be controversial - but I’d expect them to be more creative given the content they have access to.

Out of interest OSIB guys, has access to the likes of JL made you more reluctant to be outwardly critical of the club or not?

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah for sure, a club created product will never be controversial - but I’d expect them to be more creative given the content they have access to.

Out of interest OSIB guys, has access to the likes of JL made you more reluctant to be outwardly critical of the club or not?

Good question.

As a regular listener I would say one or two of the guests are overly supportive and protective of the club and it’s staff and from my perspective see everything through rose tinted specs. 

I would say most of the people on there are balanced though. Even those that can be quite critical still back that up with praise where it’s due. 

Of those I’ve met they are really decent lads though and should be supported for what they are doing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I dip in and out of most of them and enjoy them for what they are, a group of passionate City fans chatting about City, as if they were in the pub, car or on the walk home from a game.

Agree with some, disagree with others. Some I’d buy and drink and chat with, others I wouldn’t! 

But keep up the good work gents, all of it is much appreciated, because it’s your free time after all.

100%. That’s how I feel. They both help fill the void of dissecting the game in the pub after. Furthermore, I don’t necessarily want to just listen to people who have the same opinion as myself. I like different points of view and being challenged to change mine. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Absolutely not, we may as well just pack it all in if we got that stage! If you listen to that back, Stan grills JL for an answer on if he wanted LJ sacked after the burton game, we wouldn’t do that if we wanted to get cosy.

From my perspective, and I do get people just want to hear ranting and raving about Ashton/the board/the world in general atm, some of the stuff being said about Ashton & JL atm is just a bit weird.

I saw someone the other day going mental saying they should’ve put out a statement/interview to explain the Cardiff result. Really? I get that people are angry but it just feels like a lot of it is being angry for angry sake atm. I think we can all agree we want the set up different (Dof/sporting director we’ve shouted about for years now) but ultimately there’s a lot of people demanding MA be sacked and in the same breath admit they don’t know what he does on a day to day basis.

We’ve all openly ridiculed LJ fairly deeply tbf - I’ve said a few times I just didn’t like him, arrogance etc was too much. The medical team needs a severe wipe out in the summer imo too. I find our media and comms team genuinely awful & cringe and would have Beanhead’s team back in a flash.

Can sort of see why people would think it, but also I’d say if you’ve listened to every episode for a while we’ve said a fair amount of strong criticism across the board for a while, but do people really want to hear that dug up every single episode? 

Bit of a ramble :laugh: soz

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

I used to listen to OSIB, it's always taken a while to get going and I didn't care about the sponsorship. What made me stop was the "food" section, not sure why it was there, didn't find it specially funny, but that's fine. I've tried the others, dipped in and out and they all have pluses and minuses. If I'm going to listen to one now it's FBC. Few reasons, but they balance being a Misog , with being a fan and add in a little bit of knowledge and tactics. I think there are enough Podcasts around to satisfy everyones choice, they all seem slightly different, which has to be a good thing IMO. I do steer clear of the clubs version though. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Absolutely not, we may as well just pack it all in if we got that stage! If you listen to that back, Stan grills JL for an answer on if he wanted LJ sacked after the burton game, we wouldn’t do that if we wanted to get cosy.

From my perspective, and I do get people just want to hear ranting and raving about Ashton/the board/the world in general atm, some of the stuff being said about Ashton & JL atm is just a bit weird.

I saw someone the other day going mental saying they should’ve put out a statement/interview to explain the Cardiff result. Really? I get that people are angry but it just feels like a lot of it is being angry for angry sake atm. I think we can all agree we want the set up different (Dof/sporting director we’ve shouted about for years now) but ultimately there’s a lot of people demanding MA be sacked and in the same breath admit they don’t know what he does on a day to day basis.

We’ve all openly ridiculed LJ fairly deeply tbf - I’ve said a few times I just didn’t like him, arrogance etc was too much. The medical team needs a severe wipe out in the summer imo too. I find our media and comms team genuinely awful & cringe and would have Beanhead’s team back in a flash.

Can sort of see why people would think it, but also I’d say if you’ve listened to every episode for a while we’ve said a fair amount of strong criticism across the board for a while, but do people really want to hear that dug up every single episode? 

I am out of likes Pete, but I think you are spot on here, fair and balanced. 

As per my comments above, there are a couple of guests who are overly positive but I think most, like yourself, are balanced and dish out the criticism at times but then provide positive feedback as well; or least provide rationale as to why that’s their relative perspective.

I have said before that OSIB works best when there are differing views which get discussed (argued!) alongside lots of piss taking, irrelevance and stupidity. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Great post, thanks for the detailed reply.

I think you actually do a good job of getting the balance right re: critique and balance. Just more curious if from your pov the access you’ve had is at the back of your mind.

• Thanks 1