IGNORED

Imagine what Cotts could do with this squad...

Fordy62

There. I said it. 

I know it’ll never happen owing to the stubbornness of Lansdown (and probably Cotts too), but my word, we could do a lot, lot worse. 

Shrewsbury aren’t in promotion form, they’re in the form that wins you the league by a canter.

It’s alright though... we go again...

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

There. I said it. 

I know it’ll never happen owing to the stubbornness of Lansdown (and probably Cotts too), but my word, we could do a lot, lot worse. 

Shrewsbury aren’t in promotion form, they’re in the forum that wins you the league. 

Get us relegated probably like he was going to last time before he got sacked and Pemberton then Johnson saved us!

16 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

I wish Lansdown backed him right off the back of our promotion season 

Within budget vs what he would have wanted.

One year loss of £13m or more would have still yielded a Transfer Embargo in Jan 2017 if exceeded- which signings would have come within, and which would have fallen without, the budget? Would it have been worth a Jan 2017 Embargo to get a bit ahead with signings?

You can't wish that final one year Assessment away. Again- which are compliant, which are not. Gayle e.g. I don't think would have been feasible.

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There. I said it. 

Shrewsbury aren’t in promotion form, they’re in the form that wins you the league by a canter.

Imagine what any experienced manager could do with our squad!

.....I’ve imagined what a lot of guys could have achieved with our squad, and squads of the past - gazing wistfully out of my window whilst clutching a very agreeable Malbec ... we have wasted too much time giving nice blokes their first real shot at management at this level ... and we’ve wasted too much time watching the experienced, successful, proven blokes at this level go elsewhere - we just can’t seem to attract a guy who knows what he’s doing in the championship, even though we apparently interview them - so we revert to the nice, genuine geezers, who haven’t really got a clue ... oh well ?

21 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think you mean 2017 ?

There were some games in 2018 which nonetheless fitted the characteristics- or some games and some halves.

12 minutes ago, Street red said:

Look where Maguire is now .. 

I'll ask you as well, to what extent could we have backed Cotts in summer 2015 and stayed within the one season assessment- Finley must be consulting his spreadsheets?

Is there not a case to be made that Cotts should have been more patient, accepted 2015/16 as a bit of a pragmatic/consolidation and then gone and reaped the benefits of Revenue Growth from 2016/17 onwards?

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The switch to three at the back was a mess and an example of Johnson being too clever clever. But the formation could work - IF the right personnel are used

That's a quote from Sunderland forum. Sounds all too familiar.

Johnson went all RB Leipzig tonight.

FB510B80-382A-40D7-BA5B-1541446A0915.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There. I said it. 

I'm starting to imagine what Lee Johnson could do with this squad!!!!

Mental but I'm starting to.

(Cotts would do just fine)

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There. I said it. 

Shrewsbury are currently fifth in the league one form table, based on six games. It is impressive from where they were but I am not sure if it is form that wins you the league by a canter.

Our promotion season under Cotts was the best football I can remember seeing us play but, once we were up, he lobbed his toys out the pram over the budget and let his sense of grievance over the transfer dealing dominate everything from press conferences to team selection.

He was a very very good manager and he was hard done by that summer But, whilst I could have forgiven him for walking away or I could have respected him struggling to do his best in tough circumstances, I struggle to respect or forgive the fact he risked getting the team relegated because his ego was out of joint. 

I’ll always love him for the football we played that promotion season. But he left at least three months after it was clearly time for him to move on and I don’t want him back after how toxic it all became. Of course I would like a manager who can get more out of the team than we are at the moment but I would rather we moved on to someone new entirely rather than continually resurrecting ghosts of previous managerial regimes.

Archived