IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

11 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Are you still 100% sure? I think he's reaping the benefit of managing a club on merit and not being tainted with accusations of nepotism.

No doubt he's relishing his possible  return to the gate next season .

Very much so. It's not like he's never had a good run before when he's had injuries. I would expect him to lose in the play offs (it is Sunderland after all), lose some players, sign some players, struggle to know what he wants to do and history repeats itself. 

Ultimately I'm not fussed either way, that's just my prediction, he's gone thankfully. One thing I know is that looking at how our players can barely execute the most basic of football skills during a match day these days (and it's been getting progressively worse over the last few years to this point) I am delighted we will never have him, Holden and Macca "coaching" anyone at this football club again. 

Sunderland can go up or stay down, we should feel lucky he's not our problem anymore. 

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sounds as if Sunderland are starting to play with 'identity' and passing the ball quickly and playing attacking football.

Which is what we were treated to that season when we had a strong League Cup run.

Then the random transfer policy kicked in fully coupled with a new tombola and everything started going to shit.

I always thought it would be interesting to see what Johnson could do if he had (as far as I know) more autonomy over transfers and had to work with what he had.

I think he can clearly spot a good player and improve them. The job here was probably too early for him really so all things considered he did a decent job. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sounds as if Sunderland are starting to play with 'identity' and passing the ball quickly and playing attacking football.

Which is what we were treated to that season when we had a strong League Cup run.

Then the random transfer policy kicked in fully coupled with a new tombola and everything started going to shit.

I believe at Sunderland LJs one signing has been Winchester from FGR, who he had at Oldham - so clearly his decision. 

What I’m wondering is whether he will keep control of transfer policy. 

This may clarify the LJ/MA debate..

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Partly because it’s quite possible he’s on decent money already (Sunderland will be paying more than some Champ clubs), playing every week....and no guarantee that the type of club he might go to will be able to offer him the financial rewards that outweigh his current (rumoured) £6k+ p.w. And guarantees of playing.

Only my thoughts.

A different view for sure. 

When ‘possibles’ like Wyke crop up from a lower league I get several thoughts on how such a player might be attracted to a club like City

My first thought is always money. Many players are motivated my it and City could afford to up his wages along with a 3 year contract with various add ons including the option of an extra year.

I then think that money apart, the desire to play at the highest level possible is another attraction for many players.

Then I consider the players age and with Wyke at 29 will have 4 maybe 5 years left at a decent level. After that the big money pretty much stops 

If Big Nige likes him and with LJ being a former manager and aware of the financial situation at AG - who knows what might happen.

On 19/02/2021 at 15:50, SecretSam said:

OK, fair enough. One thought that does occur: do we have to overpay on wages because of where we are? London, midlands or north west clubs all have other clubs near. We don't, so if you settle here, there's more of a risk of upheaval? Just a thought.

We have , traditionally, ‘ overpaid ‘ on wages to attract players to an unfashionable club.

In our Old First Division days we were one of the highest payers.

Peter McCormack got a big wage increase coming from Liverpool, as he wrote in his book.

We can only imagine what the other ‘ star ‘ men were on but Norman Hunter and Joe Royle would not have upped sticks for the pleasure of a relegation battle with a club in the West Country with a history of mediocrity without some sort of incentive.

Whilst geographically we aren’t in a footballing hotbed I don’t believe that that is a major concern for today’s players who would be looking more at whether they could advance their careers at Ashton Gate than the proximity of their friends and family, Josh Brownhill being a good example. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

A different view for sure. 

When ‘possibles’ like Wyke crop up from a lower league I get several thoughts on how such a player might be attracted to a club like City

My first thought is always money. Many players are motivated my it and City could afford to up his wages along with a 3 year contract with various add ons including the option of an extra year.

I then think that money apart, the desire to play at the highest level possible is another attraction for many players.

Then I consider the players age and with Wyke at 29 will have 4 maybe 5 years left at a decent level. After that the big money pretty much stops 

If Big Nige likes him and with LJ being a former manager and aware of the financial situation at AG - who knows what might happen.

The big questions (amongst others) for a player at this age (any age really) are:

• is he having a purple patch?
  • why has he been in bottom two divisions all his career
  • does he look like he can step-up to the level above
  • is he just about goals, what’s the rest of his game like
  • are the goals he scores transferable to Champ, e.g. does he score a lot of 1-on-1s from long balls, because you see less of them at the level above
  • is he scoring because he’s in a good side, how has he performed in a lesser side, is he linking well with a particular player
  • etc etc

Before you start looking at how he’d fit into your current or potential system.  That’s where you hope Talent ID does it’s stuff.

Im sure he’s on lots of clubs radars, on the volume of goals scored.  Rightly so.  But he’s a very different type of player to Toney.

Im not dismissing him as a target for any champ club, just giving some thoughts.

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I believe at Sunderland LJs one signing has been Winchester from FGR, who he had at Oldham - so clearly his decision. 

What I’m wondering is whether he will keep control of transfer policy. 

This may clarify the LJ/MA debate..

They are appointing a new ‘Head Scout’ at the end of this month. 
It’ll be interesting to see what ‘type’ this will be, ie someone in a exec position appointed by the new owner (ie an Ashton-type) or someone with a true football recruitment background (ie a Burt-type). 

Congrats to LJ - first bit of silverware. I'm sure the Sunderland fans are loving that.

Seems to have galvanised Sunderland - got them on the kind of roll that ends up with promotion.

I for one would be happy to see him and Sunderland in the championship and on merit too.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Congrats to LJ - first bit of silverware. I'm sure the Sunderland fans are loving that.

Seems to have galvanised Sunderland - got them on the kind of roll that ends up with promotion.

I for one would be happy to see him and Sunderland in the championship and on merit too.

Is there two finals now ? I swear Salford won yesterday 

If they do get through the playoffs or manage to catch enough clubs to make top 2, I can see LJ looking at a few of those we have who are out of contract but clearly good enough for a side promoted into The Championship, the likes of Hunt, Watkins & possibly Paterson might all be of interest to him.

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If they do get through the playoffs or manage to catch enough clubs to make top 2, I can see LJ looking at a few of those we have who are out of contract but clearly good enough for a side promoted into The Championship, the likes of Hunt, Watkins & possibly Paterson might all be of interest to him.

He was allegedly after one of our ex-midfielders in the Jan window.

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It seems odd they couldn`t have played it early season unless they were hoping that by leaving it till now fans would have maybe been allowed back.

When there’s sod all income for the trophy and everyone’s lost enough money anyway, it might well just be not having to spend cash decorating Wembley out like a pizzeria on two separate occasions in the same season. 

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 10:25, Bristol Rob said:

You mean when Mark Ashton decided to get too involved?

• Like 1