IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

11 minutes ago, Cardy said:

I hope he does well there. A promotion on his CV would do him the world of good.
We have moved on though & are currently punching well above LJ’s level.

Err, technically we aren't punching above LJ's level.

We are currently a midtable side, and based on completed seasons, LJ made us closer to a top 6 side.

Not saying I would swap LJ for NP, just saying that for a club of our size, he did okay.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Err, technically we aren't punching above LJ's level.

We are currently a midtable side, and based on completed seasons, LJ made us closer to a top 6 side.

Not saying I would swap LJ for NP, just saying that for a club of our size, he did okay.

As you say we are now further away than LJ had us and I agree he did OK (nothing more less nothing less) but yeh definitely wouldn't swap.

On 18/02/2021 at 08:59, dREDful said:

He'd probably need a whole new personality too. I liked him as a player, thought he received a massive amount of necessary stick. 

As a manager though, Jesus... I'm still 100% sure we will be the only Championship club e ever manages and that was down to nepotism, again. 

If he fails to take Sunderland up all his guff in the world won't be able to answer in any future interview "How have you managed for 8 years and never earned a promotion?".

At some stage his CV will be louder than his PowerPoint and David Brent squeaks. 

Are you still 100% sure? I think he's reaping the benefit of managing a club on merit and not being tainted with accusations of nepotism.

No doubt he's relishing his possible  return to the gate next season .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wyke has bagged 26 goals so far - he had 11 when LJ took over. He’s already on the radar of other bigger clubs. It’ll be interesting to see how Sunderland cope without their main man next season.

Depends if they get promoted I guess.

Well, LJ has certainly had experience of losing his best players on a regular basis. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Well he’s got Sunderland on a pretty good run - always a very streaky manager. Hope he gets them up as love a weekend up there. 

38 years ago I was slagging a bit of stuff at Sunderland Poly. Delipdated Shithole (no don’t do it) with 60s shopping centers. Always remember being told in a pub there she couldn’t have a pint of lager but they would do two halves. What a place!

Mind you I have Roker Park on my CV!

Edited by REDOXO

His time here, he will learnt from that- it'll make/have made him a better manager/head coach IMO.

Not saying I thought he deployed players right- see technical but relatively slight CMs in a 2 or a 2 with a non third true CM, or Benkovic not getting a proper crack, or Henriksen in a 2 and that's just last season to list a few- then there was the Magnússon at Preston but he'll have learned and his stint here might well be to Sunderland's gain.

I believe he was quite good with younger players, those on the rise or those from lower levels- but those who were used to a higher level than he has played at, be they ex PL, International, from strong academies- and this second category can cut across age groups, he had his flaws.

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

38 years ago I was slagging a bit of stuff at Sunderland Poly. Delipdated Shithole (no don’t do it) with 60s shopping centers. Always remember being told in a pub there she couldn’t have a pint of lager but they would do two halves. What a place!

Mind you I have Roker Park on my CV!

‘slagging a bit of stuff’?  Ah, romance isn’t dead!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Wyke has bagged 26 goals so far - he had 11 when LJ took over. He’s already on the radar of other bigger clubs. It’ll be interesting to see how Sunderland cope without their main man next season.

Depends if they get promoted I guess.

Wyke looks great. I know it's at L1 level, but he looks like a very good potential Diedhiou replacement. 

Fun to watch too, I like an old school centre forward like him. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wyke looks great. I know it's at L1 level, but he looks like a very good potential Diedhiou replacement. 

I can still remember watching Milan Djuric get a proper old fashioned centre forwards goal for us, under LJ, - and at Sunderland. 

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There’ll be a quite a number of suitors for Wyke as there was for Ivan Toney but City weren’t willing/able to cough up what Posh were asking and he ends up at the Bees and look how impressive he’s been. He was a lost opportunity imo.

Hope a scenario like that doesn’t develop with Wyke 

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There’ll be a quite a number of suitors for Wyke as there was for Ivan Toney but City weren’t willing/able to cough up what Posh were asking and he ends up at the Bees and look how impressive he’s been. He was a lost opportunity imo.

Hope a scenario like that doesn’t develop with Wyke 

Completely different comparison because Wyke is 29 next month. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I hadn’t realised that. I’d never heard of him before. Might be a one season wonder..........:dunno:

No, he's had several good seasons in the lower leagues. An over a 1 in 3 goalscoring record at his last 3 clubs which is very solid. 

Whether that can translate to Championship is a different question - but he looks the part to me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Completely different comparison because Wyke is 29 next month. 

Was gonna post the same last night, but was trying to find the OTIB thread on him from a couple of seasons back, when he scored a hat-trick against the gas and posters were clamouring for him then (whilst at Bradford).

Good scoring record over past few seasons.

The kind of player who you’d think would be better off staying at Sunderland, even if they don’t go up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was gonna post the same last night, but was trying to find the OTIB thread on him from a couple of seasons back, when he scored a hat-trick against the gas and posters were clamouring for him then (whilst at Bradford).

The kind of player who you’d think would be better off staying at Sunderland, even if they don’t go up.

Based on his career history he's always favoured Northern clubs so perhaps has family from the area. I could see him going to a northern club like Stoke, Huddersfield or Sheffield United if they come down. 

The reason I like him is because I've always enjoyed his style of forward. I liked Adebola, Brooker, Djuric, Wilbraham etc. Always something so satisfying about a headed goal. 

I think Sunderland probably will go up as they have momentum at the moment, it'll be interesting to see whether Johnson has learned how to manage any blips.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

11 hours ago, BCFC_95 said:

Let’s say 5-10 years down the line, LJ has a couple of L1 promotions on his CV with whoever, and turns them into an established Championship top half team, would anyone take him back? 

If I was him I wouldn't come back here with all the negative vibes from many going back to his playing days, better to go somewhere where he starts with a clean slate (as with Sunderland). When he came here before he wanted to establish himself at Championship level, he achieved that. The only way he'd come back if he was offered a job here and we were in the Prem, but can't ever see that happening.

7 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Johnstone's Paint Trophy final on Sunday for LJ. Wembley against Tranmere, the division below. 

Surely going to be his first piece of silverware?

You'd think so. I'd like to see it.

It's very feasible they could win the League 1 double as we did. They're 5 points off Hull in 1st but have two games in hand. 

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why do you think that Dave? Surely at 29 he’d fancy a move to a ‘bigger’ club with all the financial rewards that go with it. 

He’s got around 4 or 5 years left so it would make sense for him make as much money as he can.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's very feasible they could win the League 1 double as we did. They're 5 points off Hull in 1st but have two games in hand. 

Win the last 13 and they can get 99 points as well, written in the stars :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sounds as if Sunderland are starting to play with 'identity' and passing the ball quickly and playing attacking football.

Which is what we were treated to that season when we had a strong League Cup run.

Then the random transfer policy kicked in fully coupled with a new tombola and everything started going to shit.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Johnstone's Paint Trophy final on Sunday for LJ. Wembley against Tranmere, the division below. 

Surely going to be his first piece of silverware?

Weirdly last seasons final is the day before?!

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why do you think that Dave? Surely at 29 he’d fancy a move to a ‘bigger’ club with all the financial rewards that go with it. 

He’s got around 4 or 5 years left so it would make sense for him make as much money as he can.

Partly because it’s quite possible he’s on decent money already (Sunderland will be paying more than some Champ clubs), playing every week....and no guarantee that the type of club he might go to will be able to offer him the financial rewards that outweigh his current (rumoured) £6k+ p.w. And guarantees of playing.

Only my thoughts.