IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The title of this post has now become reality. 

7th when he took over now knocking on the door of automatic promotion. 

They don't concede many, they've lost the fewest number of games and their goal difference is second only to Hull. 

They have to go to Peterborough and Hull and have Lincoln at home, so it's very much doable. 

6 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

They don't concede many, they've lost the fewest number of games and their goal difference is second only to Hull. 

They have to go to Peterborough and Hull and have Lincoln at home, so it's very much doable. 

They currently only have one fit centre half too, and he went off injured on Sunday, so big injury problems but getting the results required. 

9 wins and a draw from their last 10 games, and 5 clean sheets on the bounce with barely any fit defenders. 

Sunderland fans, understandably, very impressed. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The title of this post has now become reality. 

7th when he took over now knocking on the door of automatic promotion. 

Yep, fair play to LJ, he must've known he was on a hiding to nothing going there, but games in hand too that puts the Mackems in the automatic positions....

On 14/03/2021 at 23:05, Banned User said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This club will return to the Premier League with Lee Johnson at the helm!

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/leadbitter-talking-about-johnson.1545007/page-3

The quote "you can tell the players respect him" shows me that he's not been there long enough yet for his weakness to come to light. LJ is very forward thinking and has a lot going for him but we've all seen what happens when the confidence drops. I'll be interested to see how the players react to him when they begin to struggle and he starts messing with his tactics, making obvious mistakes etc as he did with us. They're still riding that positive air that inspires good run of form, let's see how they react to a run of poor results before we talk about how great LJ is. 

• Like 2

Good luck to him.

LJ didn’t take us too much further forward in his time here but it wasn’t the disaster that some make out either.

His CV prior to us was ok but some could understandably not see past his connection with SL.

What I would say is he is at a bigger club, although in a lower league & if they do go up I’d expect them to avoid being in a relegation scrap next season, which is usually the fate of many promoted side (look at this season’s table, all 3 are in the bottom 5, 2 will probably go back down).

Final point, our last head coach will never get offered a job like Sunderland, will he?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

The quote "you can tell the players respect him" shows me that he's not been there long enough yet for his weakness to come to light. LJ is very forward thinking and has a lot going for him but we've all seen what happens when the confidence drops. I'll be interested to see how the players react to him when they begin to struggle and he starts messing with his tactics, making obvious mistakes etc as he did with us. They're still riding that positive air that inspires good run of form, let's see how they react to a run of poor results before we talk about how great LJ is. 

There's every chance he'll have them promoted with a trophy too by the time this matters though. In which case, it's job done already really isn't it.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Sometimes people learn from experiences and change accordingly.

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Sometimes people learn from experiences and change accordingly.

Sssh. Don't say that. You'll offend some of the OTIB posters who make an early decision and stick with it.

These are the same people that write players off after a poor 45 minutes, or believe young players like Massengo are the finished article at 19, and can't possibly improve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, italian dave said:

As do some of the anti-Johnson City brigade who took great delight earlier in this thread at drawing attention to those Sunderland fans.

And those posters who on page one were taking great delight in the negative comments seem to have gone very quiet on this thread!

If you can give it out, as they did, it’s just good grace if they can return to the thread - admit they were probably a little hasty and acknowledge that he’s actually doing a good job so far. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

LJ is doing well with Sunderland and I'm pleased for him.
He tried his best for us and gave everything he had. It was right that he went when he did and I wouldn't swop him for Nigel, but he did deliver us 4 years of top-half championship football and an amazing cup run during his tenure, for which I thank him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redpool said:

Don't judge a Manager/Head Coach when they're flying. Judge them when things are not going well, and how quickly they can react and respond accordingly to get back on track

Arguably that's exactly what he's done. Sunderland were going through a couple of sticky results before this run relative to a club of their size in league 1 (hence the thread). His managerial honeymoon grace period period was over and a few fans were starting to get a bit frustrated after losing to Shrewsbury. Since then their form has been fantastic. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Arguably that's exactly what he's done. Sunderland were going through a couple of sticky results before this run relative to a club of their size in league 1 (hence the thread). His managerial honeymoon grace period period was over and a few fans were starting to get a bit frustrated after losing to Shrewsbury. Since then their form has been fantastic. 

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

And those posters who on page one were taking great delight in the negative comments seem to have gone very quiet on this thread!

If you can give it out, as they did, it’s just good grace if they can return to the thread - admit they were probably a little hasty and acknowledge that he’s actually doing a good job so far. 

i for one wont hide could not stand him as a player or manager. Not a patch on cotts and miles behind Pearson, and up to now has not achieve a great deal. Yes he got Sunderland doing fine big team in tin pot league that we won at a canter, and getting the best out of charlie wyke and aden mcgaidy shame he could not do that with are centre forwards and Kasey palmer. Lets see what happens when they lose a game. The only time i will be a massive fan of lj is when they hopefully smash  that lot in blue and white quarters then i will give him some respect for a few minutes only.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Amazed to see the Lee Johnson Appreciation Society still going strong.

BREAKING NEWS: he was sacked 8 months ago!

If you’d checked, you’d have seen that this whole thread was begun by the Lee Johnson Deprecation Society, also still going strong. 8 months after he was sacked. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

20 minutes ago, big dosser said:

i for one wont hide could not stand him as a player or manager. Not a patch on cotts and miles behind Pearson, and up to now has not achieve a great deal. Yes he got Sunderland doing fine big team in tin pot league that we won at a canter, and getting the best out of charlie wyke and aden mcgaidy shame he could not do that with are centre forwards and Kasey palmer. Lets see what happens when they lose a game. The only time i will be a massive fan of lj is when they hopefully smash  that lot in blue and white quarters then i will give him some respect for a few minutes only.

Which forwards that he didn’t get the best out of do you have in mind?  Kodjia? Tammy Abraham? Bobby Reid?

6 hours ago, Spike said:

One could argue that here it was not so much that over time the players saw through him as maybe that here he took over a team that were largely devoted to the previous manager who had brought them success. That was a strong unit to win over, not just for LJ but for players coming into the club.

Successful teams often need breaking up as they can be resistant to change not just towards the manager but also from incoming players. Has Klopp now become ‘streaky’ with players that have enjoyed success? Is it that the players have seen through him or that a clique of players are more self confident and and less inclined to take advice and instruction. At Sunderland I suspect players who have not enjoyed recent success at the club would be more likely to respond positively to a new manager as ours did to Cotts when he first came in.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, big dosser said:

i for one wont hide could not stand him as a player or manager.

Not a patch on cotts and miles behind Pearson, and up to now has not achieve a great deal. Yes he got Sunderland doing fine big team in tin pot league that we won at a canter, and getting the best out of charlie wyke and aden mcgaidy shame he could not do that with are centre forwards and Kasey palmer. Lets see what happens when they lose a game. The only time i will be a massive fan of lj is when they hopefully smash  that lot in blue and white quarters then i will give him some respect for a few minutes only.

All of that is fine, people are allowed not to rate him, that's not the point really. The only thing I'd object to in your post is why you've felt the need to shoehorn in that you couldn't 'stand him' as a player - it's irrelevant to him as a manager. 

The aspect people are objecting to is the way people seemed gleeful that in early Feb it seemed he was irritating the fans, but haven't said anything since Sunderland have turned it round. That's the point where it feels a bit personal and weird. If you can dish it out, and it's not a personal thing, surely you can give a bit of credit where it's due.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, italian dave said:

If you’d checked, you’d have seen that this whole thread was begun by the Lee Johnson Deprecation Society, also still going strong. 8 months after he was sacked. 

I can't begin to understand the affection for a chap who irritated the life out me for a couple of years. I liked him as a player, he wasn't up to it as a manger. I don't give any more hoots what he does next than I did McInnes. I'm amazed others do. What Sunderland achieve means nothing to me.