IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

14 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Mods, can you arrange to have this moved over to the Sunderland fans forum?

Or create a separate LJ forum, please, so those of us in 2021 can't see it listed?

There's a nice big ignore bottom at the top. You'll never have to see it again.

Edited by Banned User

31 minutes ago, Banned User said:

There's a nice big ignore bottom at the top. You'll never have to see it again.

Thats a feature that is most welcome - used it dozens of times, clears the forum of things I am just not interested in or what I think is total bollocks.

Thanks for that @TomF

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

One could argue that here it was not so much that over time the players saw through him as maybe that here he took over a team that were largely devoted to the previous manager who had brought them success. That was a strong unit to win over, not just for LJ but for players coming into the club.

Successful teams often need breaking up as they can be resistant to change not just towards the manager but also from incoming players. Has Klopp now become ‘streaky’ with players that have enjoyed success? Is it that the players have seen through him or that a clique of players are more self confident and and less inclined to take advice and instruction. At Sunderland I suspect players who have not enjoyed recent success at the club would be more likely to respond positively to a new manager as ours did to Cotts when he first came in.

Really interesting angle....??????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I can't begin to understand the affection for a chap who irritated the life out me for a couple of years. I liked him as a player, he wasn't up to it as a manger. I don't give any more hoots what he does next than I did McInnes. I'm amazed others do. What Sunderland achieve means nothing to me.

And I can't begin to understand the dislike bordering hatred for a chap who gave me some of the most memorable moments in my time supporting City and who established us as a top half second tier club for the first time in 50 years. I watch his career with interest, as I do many other players and managers who've left City. But I'm not that fussed what Sunderland achieve. So at least we agree on one thing :)

• Like 8
  • Robin 2

30 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And I can't begin to understand the dislike bordering hatred for a chap who gave me some of the most memorable moments in my time supporting City and who established us as a top half second tier club for the first time in 50 years. I watch his career with interest, as I do many other players and managers who've left City. But I'm not that fussed what Sunderland achieve. So at least we agree on one thing :)

I don't hate the chap. He's just not very likeable I'm afraid. Positively irritating - David Brent - obnoxiously full of himself. In his last 18 months or so he took the joy out of watching City for me. I find it amazing that others don't feel that...

...but we are all City fans. Nigel Pearson - who has managed only 100 or so games more than LJ but has achieved so much more - is a massive upgrade. Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, big dosser said:

Yes he got Sunderland doing fine big team in tin pot league that we won at a canter

We've spent years and years in that league and won it a grand total of once in 40+ years and often as a 'big' team in the league. To make out LJ should win it easily with Sunderland is foolish at best.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, big dosser said:

Getting the best out of charlie wyke and aden mcgaidy shame he could not do that with are centre forwards and Kasey palmer.

Yeah, I’m sure Tammy Abraham and Bobby Reid are gutted they ever played for him.

There’s plenty of rational reasons to have gripes with LJ as a manager, is it too much to ask to not make up new ones?

Edited by RonWalker

1 minute ago, RonWalker said:

Yeah, I’m sure Tammy Abraham and Bobby Reid are gutted they ever played for him.

tammy was class already but i will give him credit  Reid and Kelly but cant think of no one else

2 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

I don't see the issue with LJ. He did OK - not brilliant or terrible. No idea why the opinion is so polarised on him. At the end it didn't work out in terms of making the top 6 but he certainly didn't do a bad job.

There were a lot of good other signings I think he made. Bentley, JD and Kalas are really good I think. He also had a hand in improving Joe Bryan although others were responsible too.

You can debate some like COD, Fammy, Hunt, Nagy, Elliasson but certainly they aren't bad players.

There were a lot of bad ones too for balance. The fact that City were a top 10 club for the last few years of his tenure suggests the signings and the squad assembled can't have been that bad. 

Then thing that annoyed me the most about him was the crap he talked which has been highlighted by even his biggest supporters. 

• Like 1

I dont see the hate for lee Johnson, he clearly had a passion for Bristol city and football in general, gave us that great cup run, put bristol city in the spotlight as a nice attacking team which in turn got us some great loans and attract some good players.

To hate him is very strange, you dont know him personally so why be so personal, you could say you didnt rate him as a managed but to be irritated by him as a person seems petty.

I have met him many times and hes been friendly and always had time for fans..

He could of slagged us off by now but hes had great things to say about the club and rhe fans 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I don't see the issue with LJ. He did OK - not brilliant or terrible. No idea why the opinion is so polarised on him. At the end it didn't work out in terms of making the top 6 but he certainly didn't do a bad job.

There were a lot of good other signings I think he made. Bentley, JD and Kalas are really good I think. He also had a hand in improving Joe Bryan although others were responsible too.

You can debate some like COD, Fammy, Hunt, Nagy, Elliasson but certainly they aren't bad players.

There were a lot of bad ones too for balance. The fact that City were a top 10 club for the last few years of his tenure suggests the signings and the squad assembled can't have been that bad. 

Then thing that annoyed me the most about him was the crap he talked which has been highlighted by even his biggest supporters. 

If you’re not biased by his playing time here / GJ nepotism then I think it’s because of:

• the way he came across (ala David Brent)
  • that he got given huge resources that others didnt
  • or possibly loyalty to Cotts.

I mixed on him....but my first two bullets cover the negative side of opinion I have on him.

• Like 3

Jesus christ, this is one reason why people don't like him - people get sick of hearing about him and their liking/tolerance of him drops a level.

He's been gone 8 months or so and there's still people arguing over Lee bloody Johnson. He's gone, did ok on the whole but it was time for him to go. He got paid very well for doing a semi decent job, and would have been paid pretty well in compensation for doing a pretty crap job which lead to his dismissal!

Good luck to him, but personally couldn't give a flying monkies nut what happens to him at Sunderland or wherever his next job may be.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Taz said:

Jesus christ, this is one reason why people don't like him - people get sick of hearing about him and their liking/tolerance of him drops a level.

He's been gone 8 months or so and there's still people arguing over Lee bloody Johnson. He's gone, did ok on the whole but it was time for him to go. He got paid very well for doing a semi decent job, and would have been paid pretty well in compensation for doing a pretty crap job which lead to his dismissal!

Good luck to him, but personally couldn't give a flying monkies nut what happens to him at Sunderland or wherever his next job may be.

This thread was started by the most anti LJ (or 2nd most after Andy2005) poster on OTIB

13 hours ago, big dosser said:

tammy was class already but i will give him credit  Reid and Kelly but cant think of no one else

Pack definitely became a better player under him, Flint too pushed on to being a top half centre half under LJ, you'd argue Bryan definitely improved as well but how much was our coaching staff vs natural development could be a discussion point

CRASH OUT OF THE PLAY-0FFS 4 by Lee Johnson.

CRASH OUT OF THE PLAY OFFS 1. 2016/7.

In October 2016 City are 6th. Although Johnson still has two years to run on his contract, Lansdown extends it. This proves embarrassing for him, as City immediately lose 13 out of 16, including an unwanted club record 8 in a row. City just about avoid relegation, and finish one place higher than last season, 17th, but after spending 10 million on new players it is a disappointment of a season.

CRASH OUT OF THE PLAY OFFS 2. 2017/8

On Boxing Day 2017 against Reading, City win 2-0 with a Paterson curler into the top corner and a goal from youngster Lloyd Kelly, making his home debut as a substitute. City are SECOND in the Championship. They then are 1-1 and 2-2 with the great Manchester City over two legs, and although they concede last minute goals in each leg to go out 5-3, it is a mightily impressive show against the best team in Europe. 6 Premier League managers ring Lee Johnson to ask advice on how to play Man City.  The club say "We are a Premier League club in training." CRASH. Flint, Reid, and Bryan all say they want to leave the club and won't sign new contracts. City lose to Wolves and then 5-0 to Villa. City only win a pathetic FOUR league matches for the rest of the season and finish in a miserable ELEVENTH. 

CRASH OUT OF THE PLAY OFFS 3. 2018/9

City win 9 games out of 9 over December/January/February 2019. After a few defeats and draws they then beat Sheff Utd 3-2 away (Weimann hat-trick), Middlesbrough 1-0 away (Webster), and West Brom 3-2 at home (Brownhill, Weimann, Hunt). 

Team P GD Pts
1   Norwich 40 34 84
2   Leeds 41 26 79

3   Sheff Utd 40 30 77
4   West Brom 41 22 70
5   Bristol City 40 10 65
6   Aston Villa 40 17 63

7   Middlesbrough 41 7 61
8   Derby 40 5 60
9   Sheff Wed 41 -2 59
10   Nottm Forest 41 5 57

City are fifth with only six games to go. If they can beat Derby at home, effectively a shoot-out for 6th place, they only need 5 points from the other 5 games to finish in the play offs. But they lose to Derby at home, and only take 5 points from their last 6 games in total.  They finish 8th. 

At this point a narrative sprung up that Johnson was improving City year on year, based on final league position; 18th/17th/11th/8th. This implies that City are not a play off team, but we are steadily improving year on year and are creeping up on the play offs slowly but surely. The truth is rather different. The truth is that Johnson had absolutely no difficulty whatsoever getting City into the play offs, it is just that we crashed out again. Now, we crashed out to a higher position than the season before, but so what? A miss is as good as a mile. 

CRASH OUT OF THE PLAY OFFS 4. 2019/20

In February 2020 City beat QPR away 1-0 (Fammy neck-busting diving header). It is their 5th win out of 6. They are 6th, with 50 points from 30 games. You know what is coming next. The next 11 games?  Win 1 Draw 2 Lose 8. With only 5 games left of the season City have slumped to 12th, on 55 points. Not even the Lee Johnson party trick of pointing to an improved league position will work this time. Lansdown has had enough and fires Johnson.

So I am pleased Lee Johnson is doing well at Sunderland. He gave his all at City. When asked whether he ever had a day off he paused and said "No." His wife elbowed him at 11.30 pm in bed for taking a work call. Dean Holden banned Lee Johnson from contacting him with new ideas between the hours of 10pm and 8am so that he (Dean Holden) could get some sleep. Can't fault the bloke's commitment. Hope he takes Sunderland up. But can he get them over the line and not crash out at the end? That remains to be seen. 

• Flames 1

I mean that is why he only did OK not anymore. Had good streaks and then bad streaks - sadly a lot of bad streaks came when we needed a good one to make the PO's.

I'm not sure I would describe being in play-offs in October as crashing out. 17/18 and 18/19 were the most frustrating when we were in genuinely good positions and playing well. Last season we were in the play-offs but I can't say I ever expected us to be in them despite being in them with 16 games to go which is why he had to go so again not sure about the 'crashing out' bit.

We will have to see if he has learnt anything from his time at City over the next 2 months I guess.

On 18/03/2021 at 18:27, Red Exile said:

I can't begin to understand the affection for a chap who irritated the life out me for a couple of years. I liked him as a player, he wasn't up to it as a manger. I don't give any more hoots what he does next than I did McInnes. I'm amazed others do. What Sunderland achieve means nothing to me.

oh Vienna

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 19/03/2021 at 00:22, prankerd said:

I dont see the hate for lee Johnson, he clearly had a passion for Bristol city and football in general, gave us that great cup run, put bristol city in the spotlight as a nice attacking team which in turn got us some great loans and attract some good players.

To hate him is very strange, you dont know him personally so why be so personal, you could say you didnt rate him as a managed but to be irritated by him as a person seems petty.

I have met him many times and hes been friendly and always had time for fans..

He could of slagged us off by now but hes had great things to say about the club and rhe fans 

I met him a few times years ago in a business context, nothing to do with football. You couldn't meet a nicer person, he came across as warm, friendly and genuinely engaging. Lovely fella. 

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

• that he got given huge resources that others didnt
  • or possibly loyalty to Cotts.

I think the answer to that one is that he's the only one who earned the right to those resources by taking the team from the brink of the relegation zone to the fringes of the play off places.

And Cotts, who will always remain a City legend for me, was afforded comparatively rich resources to build the side comprising the best players in league 1. So fair enough I think. 

• Like 5

On 18/03/2021 at 17:32, Johnny Musicworks said:

One could argue that here it was not so much that over time the players saw through him as maybe that here he took over a team that were largely devoted to the previous manager who had brought them success. That was a strong unit to win over, not just for LJ but for players coming into the club.

Successful teams often need breaking up as they can be resistant to change not just towards the manager but also from incoming players. Has Klopp now become ‘streaky’ with players that have enjoyed success? Is it that the players have seen through him or that a clique of players are more self confident and and less inclined to take advice and instruction. At Sunderland I suspect players who have not enjoyed recent success at the club would be more likely to respond positively to a new manager as ours did to Cotts when he first came in.

He replaced almost all of those players and still lost the team he put together. 

• Like 2

Looks like LJ is thinking of us allowing Wigan to win tonight and move above the Gas; agent Wright back in the side too!!

Just read their forum and found this, .... the locals are getting restless:

He got lucky with a New Owner bounce. The bloke was shit and tinkering and was given deserved criticism for his tactics and stupid speak after his first 10 games.
New owner came in and the players were playing out of there skin. He kept it simple and piped down after getting deserved criticism. He now thinks he’s gods gift again and has reverted to trying to tinker and try anything, and with the new owner bounce gone we’ve fell on our arses.

The truth is, he thinks he’s Pep Guardiola, and way too clever for us and for league one. The reality is, Bristol fans were bang on, he’s a streaky average Manager, who won’t take us forward.

Sound familiar?

More here: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/lee-johnson.1547640/page-3

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Looks like LJ is thinking of us allowing Wigan to win tonight and move above the Gas; agent Wright back in the side too!!

Just read their forum and found this, .... the locals are getting restless:

He got lucky with a New Owner bounce. The bloke was shit and tinkering and was given deserved criticism for his tactics and stupid speak after his first 10 games.
New owner came in and the players were playing out of there skin. He kept it simple and piped down after getting deserved criticism. He now thinks he’s gods gift again and has reverted to trying to tinker and try anything, and with the new owner bounce gone we’ve fell on our arses.

The truth is, he thinks he’s Pep Guardiola, and way too clever for us and for league one. The reality is, Bristol fans were bang on, he’s a streaky average Manager, who won’t take us forward.

Sound familiar?

More here: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/lee-johnson.1547640/page-3

It’s taken them four months to find out what took us four years! ?

• Like 2