IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

We are reaping what he sowed though.

A leaderless bunch of soft footballers. 

Tbf he had some very decent players, problem was we sold most of them.

Not lionising the man, but he got as much out of the current crop as anyone gas since, ie not much. But he had some alight teams, we just cashed in on them. 

• Like 3

We are sussed. Press up high against us, we pass he ball side to side, then ten yards up the wing, then back to side to side, etc, then we bang it up 15 yards into their half, and lose possession.

This is from their forum, sounds familiar..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

People can keep having a dig at LJ all they like, the fact remains we were nowhere near as shit as we are now with him as manager 

We are where we are because of LJ and MA’s recruitment, his residue if you like. Too many of the squad simply aren’t of Championship standard.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We are where we are because of LJ and MA’s recruitment, his residue if you like. Too many of the squad simply aren’t of Championship standard.

Of the majority of the squad that’s been playing this season who’s not of championship standard? 

9 hours ago, Banned User said:
"My assistant manager keeps telling me I have to get into meditation, to relax. I’ll meditate when I’m dead. In the meantime I’ve got to get promoted.”

That's a genuine LJ quote by the way.

That was supposed to read "medication" :nono:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

People can keep having a dig at LJ all they like, the fact remains we were nowhere near as shit as we are now with him as manager 

Not sure what you were watching over the last couple of years, but this form has built up over LJ's spell in charge . He gathered more and more players of a similar standard, we got worse and worse at home, and only got away with it because of our away form. That wasn't likely to hold up over time. We don't retain possession at all, which means we can't dominate or control games, or even see them out.

2018 - 2019 we were 18th in the home form table, saved by a promotion standard away season. Not likely to keep that up.

1576519730_Screenshot2021-04-28at07_41_14.png.494b18bf04d4551e556f812473e26b66.png  1400577982_Screenshot2021-04-28at07_41_29.png.932dcaec63dc4b3f2770e978569a0781.png

2019 - 2020 positionally better, in reality a point worse off,  again very good away glosses over a mid-table finish.

324025410_Screenshot2021-04-28at07_40_30.png.974d283cbbb99763e8bd692a54155a1b.png  1110075674_Screenshot2021-04-28at07_40_49.png.59886f88574f629597424e9783ce3396.png

2020 - 2021 a drop off both home and away. 

1234027710_Screenshot2021-04-28at07_39_27.png.799e63dde18521bf39e5428460b438d8.png  1859053437_Screenshot2021-04-28at07_39_41.png.031cab6b84369a9e33558ff1a3df9610.png

I've said a few times, I put most of the blame on LJ. He set this "style" of football in place. We have been awful to watch for years, we struggle to keep and pass the ball and he was in charge as we completely lost his (our) way , we end up where it is ingrained through the squad and is now a big job to shake them out of it. 
He should have been sacked 18 months earlier, the problem was compounded with the Holden appointment. It was a big job even without COVID, we needed a big shake up and what we basically got was a continuation. 

We have a group with no leaders, soft and directionless. Have no doubt, this is a big, big rebuilding job. With Walsh (?), Williams, Bakinson, HNM, JD, Vyner , Palmer even Wells, we have players that can play and pass. We need Pearson (hopefully) to shake the squad up and change what we have become.
LJ is central to where we are now, sound like he's doing a similar job at Sunderland reading some of these posts.

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 07.42.47.png

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Super said:

They have Plymouth and Northampton. They will make the playoffs.

Should do, but their form over the last six games is as bad as ours & that is in League One with a side that has been top eight all season.

Of all the sides involved up there the pressure is far, far higher because no way should Sunderland ever be at that level.

The 2 promoted sides, Peterborough especially, aren’t half their size & their players seem to shrink with the responsibility of getting back to at least where they should be.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 08:53, Robbored said:

There’ll be a quite a number of suitors for Wyke as there was for Ivan Toney but City weren’t willing/able to cough up what Posh were asking and he ends up at the Bees and look how impressive he’s been. He was a lost opportunity imo.

Hope a scenario like that doesn’t develop with Wyke 

Don't remember seeing that transfer news on the OS?

Edited by MarcusX
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It came from Posh themselves and Ashton confirmed that the price was for Toney was too high.

Another thing he was wrong on then ....

By the way, I gave Ashton the name of Ivan Toney as a recommendation in 2012 when he was at Northampton. 
He was wrong not to look at him then, just as he was wrong not to last year. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AshtonYate said:

Such obsession with LJ, its pathetic.  You wanted him out, and now he is, we are all still obsessed.  Huge mistake letting him go. 

LJ achieved nothing at AG in his 4 or 5 years, nor did he ever win the fans over. It was right to sack him.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

LJ produced some of the worst Home performances I have seen from a City team, so in truth, bar very good away form we were not much better under him really.

I would hazard a guess our shots per game at AG wasn't much better under him for the last 2 years of his reign which was awful to watch

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Superjack said:

We were (even) more boring in the end.

I supported LJ in his early days at AG. I could see what he was trying to do and was willing to to be patient with him.

However over time he began to morph into his father. Same boring, dreary and predictable football began to develop and once I saw that happening that was it for me. I was as delighted as pretty much every City fan when SL told Aston to sack him.

4 hours ago, Rob k said:

The best analogy I can think of is that Johnson was like the person in the office who did a decent job but was left to his own devices. Thing were done their way and because they never caused the boss problems that was accepted. When handing in his notice the person taking over his job looks through his work and hasn’t got a clue what they’ve done or how they did it, there’s no plan or audit trail and the only solution is to start again from first principles.

In football speak the recruitment was substandard in the medium term and his way of playing was entirely one dimensional to suit the recruitment. Too much was done to achieve short term results and job protection rather than building anything on a solid foundation. As such we could never progress to the next level with his recruitment and management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I supported LJ in his early days at AG. I could see what he was trying to do and was willing to to be patient with him.

However over time he began to morph into his father. Same boring, dreary and predictable football began to develop and once I saw that happening that was it for me. I was as delighted as pretty much every City fan when SL told Aston to sack him.

Far too late.

I think his father's teams could be boring in style sometimes, but with Lee it was more to do with tactics and fear of the opposition, which was infuriating.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I think his father's teams could be boring in style sometimes, but with Lee it was more to do with tactics and fear of the opposition, which was infuriating.

Just like his father........if fact it reached the point where I couldn’t tell the difference based of the boring stuff being served up.

I remember LJ pointing out the lack of atmosphere at AG.....well......Lee.....try serving up some entertaining football..........:cool2:

24 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Far too late.

He loved to try and 'out wit' the opposition teams Manager too then come out with ridiculous phrases in post match interviews. God I do not miss him, poor Sunderland, they need all the luck

• Like 1