IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Another one fast asleep when SC was trying to spend the whole budget on Andre Gray or Dwight Gayle, the money was there if he had tried to use it wisely. 

You miss the point, surely?

SC only needed one or two top quality players to be added to a cracking team. He was trying to use it wisely.

Compare the one or two players SC wanted/needed to complete his team to the fifty or so ? often useless articles signed under LJ's tenure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Another one fast asleep when SC was trying to spend the whole budget on Andre Gray or Dwight Gayle, the money was there if he had tried to use it wisely. 

By the sounds of it Cotterill was asleep when Lansdown renegotiated a potential deal for Harry McGuire. 

For the cost of Dwight Gayle - we instead had an Engvall, Hegeler, Taylor Moore, Adam Nagy and a Djuric. 

Fair point about using money wisely. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

SC only needed one or two top quality players to be added to a cracking team. He was trying to use it wisely.

Compare the one or two players SC wanted/needed to complete his team to the fifty or so ? often useless articles signed under LJ's tenure.

No, the point wrongly being made was that the purse strings were only loosened when LJ became Manager. SC was given a budget and attempted to sign two unobtainable players, if he had lowered his sights a little he may have got someone that fitted the bill. Either way the money was there.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

No, the point wrongly being made was that the purse strings were only loosened when LJ became Manager. SC was given a budget and attempted to sign two unobtainable players, if he had lowered his sights a little he may have got someone that fitted the bill. Either way the money was there.

We’re they unobtainable if (allegedly) fees and wages had been agreed for both Gray and Maguire?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Funny that. Cotterill wanted Tomlin. Wasn’t allowed - wages too high. Cotts gets sacked… voila. Tomlin. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

By the sounds of it Cotterill was asleep when Lansdown renegotiated a potential deal for Harry McGuire. 

For the cost of Dwight Gayle - we instead had an Engvall, Hegeler, Taylor Moore, Adam Nagy and a Djuric. 

Fair point about using money wisely. 

Don’t know the truth of it but I thought SC went on holiday thinking they were done deals only to find that the club had attempted to re-negotiate in his absence and both deals collapsed.

Happy to be corrected.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t know the truth of it but I thought SC went on holiday thinking they were done deals only to find that the club had attempted to re-negotiate in his absence and both deals collapsed.

Happy to be corrected.

That is the story, I’m inclined to think there was a lot of truth in it.  The source of it has a creditable source.

That night in Portugal / Tenerife (?) I thought Cotts was gonna quit.  He was steaming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Happy to be corrected.

Yeah - that’s what I’m alluding too. Madness on SL’s part. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Exactly johnson ripped the team apart signed mostly crap and weve been suffering ever since.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Even allowing that cotterell would have signed two of the three you mentioned when deals were all set up till someone tried to renogotiate lansdown wouldnt have spent or wasted the grand total of fifty odd nobodys .

11 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

To put this into perspective, we got promoted when the ground was under renovation and the gates and therefore match day income were evidently restricted.

I believe that SL would have preferred to have been promoted the following season when the stadium had been completed. 

We suddenly had Championship outgoings on a  reduced revenue. We did well to avoid a catastrophy. 

As for two ‘ unobtainable ‘ players, the story is that both deals were agreed before Cotterill went on holiday. The club blew the negotiations and when SC returned he was furious and the rest is history.

We will probably never know all the details but it does seem to nullify your argument.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure Lingard was anything more gossip.  Gayle was a case of Gray or Gayle I think, not both….we had Kodjia by that point.

The Lingard rumour was the result of one poster (who I haven’t seen since) telling us, for a fact, that we we’re in the process of signing him. 
At the time I got absolute pelters for my cynicism...from a poster called ‘Cynic’, which amused me.

7 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Exactly johnson ripped the team apart signed mostly crap and weve been suffering ever since.

I would say it looks more like Ashton sold the silver and signed most of the crap, sometimes LJ put his foot down and demanded players like Brownhill and Webster that didn't really suit Ashtons agenda but yeah bit of a side point - they were both in there.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

To put this into perspective, we got promoted when the ground was under renovation and the gates and therefore match day income were evidently restricted.

I believe that SL would have preferred to have been promoted the following season when the stadium had been completed. 

We suddenly had Championship outgoings on a  reduced revenue. We did well to avoid a catastrophy. 

As for two ‘ unobtainable ‘ players, the story is that both deals were agreed before Cotterill went on holiday. The club blew the negotiations and when SC returned he was furious and the rest is history.

We will probably never know all the details but it does seem to nullify your argument.

Do people honestly think that Cotts just ‘went on hols’ for 2 weeks and when he came back he just rocks in to SL office and says ‘so, what’s been happening since I’ve been gone’

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The Lingard rumour was the result of one poster (who I haven’t seen since) telling us, for a fact, that we we’re in the process of signing him. 
At the time I got absolute pelters for my cynicism...from a poster called ‘Cynic’, which amused me.

Actually if I remember rightly it was Alan Nixon in the Sun reporting it. 

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

Be a interesting game at Ashton Gate next season if we are in the same league. I’m glad he’s gone and should of went a season earlier IMO. Surely he would get a decent reception wouldn’t he ? 

I think it would be very mixed. I'd like to think he'd get a warm reception, but he's such a polarising figure there are some who'd boo I'm sure. Would be a bit strange if they did as he only ever tried his best. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Do people honestly think that Cotts just ‘went on hols’ for 2 weeks and when he came back he just rocks in to SL office and says ‘so, what’s been happening since I’ve been gone’

I’m sure it wasn’t quite as simple as that, but Pelling allegedly meddled, tried to go back to Brentford / Hull and tried to do a “better” deal, and both clubs thought City / Pelling was taking the pi$$.  In Hull’s case they upped the fee, basically saying if you want to take the pi$$, so will we.  In Brentford’s case it was let’s see if anyone else is interested and if we can get more by way of a bidding war….that’s when Burnley came in and the £4m went to £6m, and Gray could start asking for more wages too, £18k instead of £14k.  Things dragged on into the season.  With Burnley’s interest, he was only ever gonna go there, despite us still trying.  So, Cotts tried to get Gayle.  

• Like 4