IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

5 hours ago, Super said:

What does Hampshire Red think of this?

5 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

He has been very quiet lately for some reason.

5 hours ago, Super said:

I think he is no longer on here.

Like many on here, I found his posting quite abrasive, almost as if he was looking for an argument.

I do recall him posting on more than one occasion, however, that his partner was seriously ill in hospital, which may (or may not) account for his absence.

Probably best not to involve him if he is not in the right state of mind to contribute. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He isn’t gonna take a low paid job like that, nor would he get day to day involvement.

Its a bonkers sacking don’t get me wrong, but I’m not sure where LJ goes from here.

Was thinking the same earlier actually. 

Any potential jobs in this league, will probably be put off with a sacking here, and a sacking in league 1 (albeit harsh tbf).

I think his best bet will be a mid table/playoff chasing league 1 team at best, as many will probably look at the situation and think "crazy Sunderland at it again".

An England squad below the u21 could be a good shout though, a bit like O'Dismal. Mind you if he gets one of those jobs, he'll be betting on himself to get the big one when Southgate moves on.....

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

Was thinking the same earlier actually. 

Any potential jobs in this league, will probably be put off with a sacking here, and a sacking in league 1 (albeit harsh tbf).

I think his best bet will be a mid table/playoff chasing league 1 team at best, as many will probably look at the situation and think "crazy Sunderland at it again".

An England squad below the u21 could be a good shout though, a bit like O'Dismal. Mind you if he gets one of those jobs, he'll be betting on himself to get the big one when Southgate moves on.....

MA to make a few adjustments, then he’ll be off to Ipswich..

1 minute ago, FNQ said:

MA to make a few adjustments, then he’ll be off to Ipswich..

I'm not too sure he would again tbh.

I know we've all bemoaned his "clubs in the bag" approach like his dad, however look at Ipswich now and the number of players they've got in since Ashton went there. Now look at the players we signed and didn't really get a look in. 

I'm not entirely convinced that Johnson was as much to blame as we all thought originally. He's far from innocent don't get me wrong, but I think he's realised how bad Ashton was for him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In fairness Man Utd  put out a reserve side that our ‘ decent players ‘ matched up to.

:disapointed2se:

Above is one of the most stupid posts I’ve read on here!

Lets take a look - 

Romero - Argentinian International 

Darmian - Italian International 

Shaw - England International 

Rojo - Argentinian International 

Lindelof - Swedish International 

Blind - Dutch international

McTominay - Scottish International

Pogba - French World Cup Winner

Rashford - English International

Martial - French World Cup winner

Ibrahimovic - Swedish International and record breaker 

Edited by ziderheadarmy
  • Like 5
  • Flames 4

1 minute ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Above is one of the most stupid posts I’ve read on here!

Lets take a look - 

Romero - Argentinian International 

Darmian - Italian International 

Shaw - England regular

Rojo - Argentinian International 

Lindelof - Swedish International 

Blind - Dutch international

McTominay - Scottish International

Pogba - French World Cup Winner

Rashford - English International

Martial - French World Cup winner

Ibrahimovic - Swedish International and record breaker 

I think that the sarcasm in the previous post just flew over your head....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, One Team said:

I think signing Defoe is a master stroke for them, even at his age he will be devastating at league one level. 

He’s really well thought of from his time there too. 

Will be interesting to see where Johnson goes next. Perhaps a little unfair to be sacked given Sunderland’s position, but supporters of a club that size would never accept such an awful defeat like the weekend. 

His form their appeared fairly similar to here - good runs of form then inexplicable big losses and poor runs. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

In fairness Man Utd  put out a reserve side that our ‘ decent players ‘ matched up to.

:disapointed2se:

Thanks.....I didn't realise that Pogba,(Most expensive midfield player in the WORLD),  Shaw, Mctominay, Ibrahomovic, Rashford,  Martial, Lindelof and Lukaku are Reserves?  Do u think anyone has told them?     

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It became personal to me when he destroyed my love of watching us play, when he claimed his love for my club, after saying the same about Oldham and Barnsley, when he thought he was the high and mighty, and none of us watching were worthy of understanding the game.

The strange thing is that I quite liked him as a player, always playing it simple, keeping the ball, giving it to players who were far more talented than him. 

But as a coach/manager he thinks he is some kind of inimitable expert, that must be looked up too. His after match interviews are farcical and pathetic, talking down to people who just watched 90 minutes of sheer shite, by trying to tell them they didn’t understand what they were watching.

No other Championship club would have gone anywhere near him ( someone give me one reason why they would of? ) when SL hired him. He had done nothing to warrant coming here, except being a mate of the owners son.

Yes, it’s personal, i and many others have been involved with football for 50 years plus, one thing I don’t need is someone who isn’t very good at his job, trying to tell me what I’m watching. 

Spot on you could see through him .he ? 

• Like 1

• Admin
7 hours ago, One Team said:

I think signing Defoe is a master stroke for them, even at his age he will be devastating at league one level. 

SSN were suggesting when I was watching that LJ wasn't keen on the signing and that contributed to his departure.

LJ LMA Statement. Bit in bold! Amazing how the fortunes of a manager can turn so quickly...

Classy Statement tbf.

"Firstly, I would like to thank Kyril Louis-Dreyfus, Kristjaan Speakman and the Board of Directors for allowing me the opportunity to be Head Coach at this great Club.

"To all the staff, whether that be my coaching team, players, the office staff, academy, training ground and stadium operations, your efforts have been nothing short of extraordinary. You are the heartbeat of the club and you should all be very proud. There are some amazing people within Sunderland AFC and some of you will be friends for life. Whether it be Karen Casey going above and beyond the call of duty, Joyce Rome’s fierce and unwavering support, or those who participated in our staff 6-a-side games on Fridays, there are far too many heroes at that football club to name you all.

"Upon arrival, my remit was changing the playing philosophy at the club, reducing the average age of the first team squad, and all the while competing for and gaining promotion. I leave the Football Club knowing we were on the right path, which gives me incredible satisfaction. I tried to lead the team with honesty and integrity from the moment I stepped through the door. I am extremely proud of the hard work put in by a talented set of players and staff. Working together tirelessly on the training ground with such quality has been an honour.

"Collectively we have achieved a lot in a short space of time, often in difficult circumstances. In the calendar year of 2021, we achieved the highest points per game average in the entire EFL, won the Papa John’s Trophy at Wembley, were amongst the highest goal scoring teams in the EFL, and took the Club to a Quarter Final of the Carabao Cup. During which I hope the Sunderland fans have found that love of a matchday once more, reconnecting with their Football Club with a collective pride of the hard work being done to play a brand of football to entertain as well as succeed.

"I have spent many hours helping Stuart Harvey and Kristjaan Speakman in recruiting top quality, often youth international talent and I am grateful to my football friends and contacts in football for their counsel and aiding us in recruiting those players at extraordinary value. We have also protected the pathway for young players from the Academy of Light. Making sure opportunities were there for the best home-grown players to get the minutes they need to develop within the First Team. That unique connection to the community, of one of their own representing them, is so important at Sunderland. Dan Neil is now an example for others to follow and his recent England call up is a credit to all.

"A special mention goes out to the Sunderland fans. Arriving in a pandemic with empty stadiums was strange to begin with but I am so glad we got to experience the passion that you guys bring to the Stadium of Light on match days. The attendances at this level are something you would not get at many clubs in the entire world. The experience has exceeded my every expectation, and I have felt a real connection with every Mackem I’ve met. It is a shame I couldn’t see the potential promotion through for you all, which was something I wanted to deliver for those that deserve it most. I was confident the work we did in January added the final pieces of the puzzle we needed to get there. I believe that this squad is ready now and I for one will be happy to watch them take you there.

"Finally, I would like to thank my immediate family, my wife Nicola and my daughter Izzy, who sacrificed so much to allow me to pursue my dream of managing this iconic football club. 

"I have absolutely loved my time in the North East and am very grateful for the experience of managing Sunderland AFC. Nothing would make me happier than to see the club rise back to the top."

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ LMA Statement. Bit in bold! Amazing how the fortunes of a manager can turn so quickly...

Classy Statement tbf.

"Firstly, I would like to thank Kyril Louis-Dreyfus, Kristjaan Speakman and the Board of Directors for allowing me the opportunity to be Head Coach at this great Club.

"To all the staff, whether that be my coaching team, players, the office staff, academy, training ground and stadium operations, your efforts have been nothing short of extraordinary. You are the heartbeat of the club and you should all be very proud. There are some amazing people within Sunderland AFC and some of you will be friends for life. Whether it be Karen Casey going above and beyond the call of duty, Joyce Rome’s fierce and unwavering support, or those who participated in our staff 6-a-side games on Fridays, there are far too many heroes at that football club to name you all.

"Upon arrival, my remit was changing the playing philosophy at the club, reducing the average age of the first team squad, and all the while competing for and gaining promotion. I leave the Football Club knowing we were on the right path, which gives me incredible satisfaction. I tried to lead the team with honesty and integrity from the moment I stepped through the door. I am extremely proud of the hard work put in by a talented set of players and staff. Working together tirelessly on the training ground with such quality has been an honour.

"Collectively we have achieved a lot in a short space of time, often in difficult circumstances. In the calendar year of 2021, we achieved the highest points per game average in the entire EFL, won the Papa John’s Trophy at Wembley, were amongst the highest goal scoring teams in the EFL, and took the Club to a Quarter Final of the Carabao Cup. During which I hope the Sunderland fans have found that love of a matchday once more, reconnecting with their Football Club with a collective pride of the hard work being done to play a brand of football to entertain as well as succeed.

"I have spent many hours helping Stuart Harvey and Kristjaan Speakman in recruiting top quality, often youth international talent and I am grateful to my football friends and contacts in football for their counsel and aiding us in recruiting those players at extraordinary value. We have also protected the pathway for young players from the Academy of Light. Making sure opportunities were there for the best home-grown players to get the minutes they need to develop within the First Team. That unique connection to the community, of one of their own representing them, is so important at Sunderland. Dan Neil is now an example for others to follow and his recent England call up is a credit to all.

"A special mention goes out to the Sunderland fans. Arriving in a pandemic with empty stadiums was strange to begin with but I am so glad we got to experience the passion that you guys bring to the Stadium of Light on match days. The attendances at this level are something you would not get at many clubs in the entire world. The experience has exceeded my every expectation, and I have felt a real connection with every Mackem I’ve met. It is a shame I couldn’t see the potential promotion through for you all, which was something I wanted to deliver for those that deserve it most. I was confident the work we did in January added the final pieces of the puzzle we needed to get there. I believe that this squad is ready now and I for one will be happy to watch them take you there.

"Finally, I would like to thank my immediate family, my wife Nicola and my daughter Izzy, who sacrificed so much to allow me to pursue my dream of managing this iconic football club. 

"I have absolutely loved my time in the North East and am very grateful for the experience of managing Sunderland AFC. Nothing would make me happier than to see the club rise back to the top."

Bollocks. It’s all me, me, me. 

He dreamt of managing this “iconic football club”. Pull the other one, Lee - it’s got bells on it. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I found LJs statement bizarre for a number of reasons. Firstly, it seems am odd way to release a statement by doing it through the LMA. It reminds me of when the victims in a terrible crime have their legal team read a statement after a court case because they can't face the press. 

As for the words themselves, its all sunshine, rainbows and unicorns farting magic sparkles. Reading it you wouldn't believe there was anything wrong at the club or with his time there. Fabulous board, amazing staff, superb, young and hungry international class players, trophies, cup runs and success after success.

You would never believe he'd been sacked after getting thumped by Bolton. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I found LJs statement bizarre for a number of reasons. Firstly, it seems am odd way to release a statement by doing it through the LMA.

It's a reasonably common route of them getting their message out when a manager leaves a job. Grant McCannDaniel Farke and Dean Smith have released statements through the LMA in the past few months.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I found LJs statement bizarre for a number of reasons. Firstly, it seems am odd way to release a statement by doing it through the LMA. It reminds me of when the victims in a terrible crime have their legal team read a statement after a court case because they can't face the press. 

As for the words themselves, its all sunshine, rainbows and unicorns farting magic sparkles. Reading it you wouldn't believe there was anything wrong at the club or with his time there. Fabulous board, amazing staff, superb, young and hungry international class players, trophies, cup runs and success after success.

You would never believe he'd been sacked after getting thumped by Bolton. 

5 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

It's a reasonably common route of them getting their message out when a manager leaves a job. Grant McCannDaniel Farke and Dean Smith have released statements through the LMA in the past few months.

Yep. They all do it nowadays. I think Holden did as well from memory. 

In fairness, as argued earlier on the thread, LJ’s record at Sunderland was actually incredibly good. But a few bad results and a lot of injuries, combined with an impatient and demanding fan base meant it had to end. 
As he rightly says himself, they had the best PPG in the entire EFL throughout 2021. In normal circumstances you wouldn’t envisage a manager losing his job 4 weeks into the new year with that record. 

• Like 6