IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

38 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm sure @billywedlock can explain what he meant but for what it's worth LJ's weaknesses were set out time and again by the sceptics (like me!) whilst he was here.

My take would be that he got the job because he was SL's vanity project...SL would pick a winner. LJ had no track record of achieving the promotion we were told was the club's ambition.  His best sides seemed to be picked by force of circumstance, when he had choices to make he often made the wrong ones. He seemed incapable of arresting losing streaks, paralysed on the sidelines watching the game go by. He loved another 'club in the bag' but the clubs never seemed to make a set. He had resources undreamed of by any City manager in my 50 years supporting the club...and squandered them. In my opinion, which I appreciate can be contested, he left us in a worse place than he found us...and we are suffering the consequences. Should never have been appointed. Not a bad man, I liked him as a player, and I felt for him at times, out of his depth. Thankfully it's in the past.

Spot on. I’ll add to the fact that he arrived on the back of an 8-game losing streak at Barnsley, and had achieved nothing there or at Oldham. He was still a novice learning his trade and IMO was a significant downgrade on Cotterill.

If SC was to go, a proven manager should’ve been brought in to get the best out of our young, hungry squad. For what it’s worth, I doubt any proven manager would work under Ashton and him selling the family silver sometimes against LJ’s will. Maybe that goes some way to explaining his appointment here.

But, to me, we needed one or two quality additions to add to that squad and SC would’ve been fine. Instead, Ashton undermined him and the rest is history. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 8
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We lost 6-0 at Ipswich in the season we got to the play off final vs Hull ... 

I was there, went to almost every match that season and what a season it turned out to be! Long trip home that evening but it didn't feel like a thrashing though, Bradley Orr was sent off early in the second half, which hadn't helped. So we lost but it was the core of the promotion side from the previous season and we knew they were a resilient bunch. And GJ was a proven winner...one of my favourite City managers. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I was there, went to almost every match that season and what a season it turned out to be! Long trip home that evening but it didn't feel like a thrashing though, Bradley Orr was sent off early in the second half, which hadn't helped. So we lost but it was the core of the promotion side from the previous season and we knew they were a resilient bunch. And GJ was a proven winner...one of my favourite City managers. 

I was at Hamilton Academical vs Partick Thistle on that day ... ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Sunderland was always a gamble for him...going to a club that actually expected to win promotion, something LJ has never achieved as a manager at any level in well over 400 matches and never looked like achieving with us for all the 'clubs in the bag' he was handed. Be interesting to see what he does next. 

Ipswich or Yeovil I reckon ... ??

48 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

I said when he got the job he was the nightmare appointment. At least that particular nightmare is over now. He survived losing 4-0 at Pompey and 5-1 at Rotherham this season but 6-0 at Derby was an embarrassment too far.

You haven't got promoted yet, . Think you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself. Or are you just dreaming......

Derby are in the Championship.

29 minutes ago, tin said:

Spot on. I’ll add to the fact that he arrived on the back of an 8-game losing streak at Barnsley, and had achieved nothing there or at Oldham. He was still a novice learning his trade and IMO was a significant downgrade on Cotterill.

If SC was to go, a proven manager should’ve been brought in to get the best out of our young, hungry squad. For what it’s worth, I don’t any proven manager would work under Ashton and him selling the family silver sometimes against LJ’s will. Maybe that goes some way to explaining his appointment here.

But, to me, we needed one or two quality additions to add to that squad and SC would’ve been fine. Instead, Ashton undermined him and the rest is history. 

Bravo! Absolutely nailed it mate. ?

3 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Let's be honest his people skills when things get tough are one his biggest flaws. Would not be at all surprised if he lost the dressing room. 

I'd not phrase it quite like that. Most of his ex-players seem quite fond of him. But he isn't a motivator. When the going gets tough, I think he panics and the last thing you want to pick up on as a player is a boss panicking. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd not phrase it quite like that. Most of his ex-players seem quite fond of him. But he isn't a motivator. When the going gets tough, I think he panics and the last thing you want to pick up on as a player is a boss panicking. 

He also likes to call players out, most top managers deflect criticism of their players and foster a togetherness. He seems to be more concerned about deflecting criticism from himself. I can imagine it quickly puts noses out of joint within a team dynamic. 

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The ex players I’ve heard on certain podcasts, are far from fond of him ?

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The ex players I’ve heard on certain podcasts, are far from fond of him ?

The negative I've heard is Fielding and to be fair the headline was good coach but poor man management which I think everyone knows.

He was a coach and not a manager so one way of looking at it was Fielding thought he was good at his job.

To those querying why Sunderland acted as they did tonight, (acted as we should have 18 months before he eventually went,) when in management it's never about where you are but where you aspire to be and how you plan to get there. A quick scan of the Sunderland forums leads one to the inevitable conclusion that one can't kid a kidder. Doubtless the Sunderland board also sounded out elements of the playing staff. From the gibberish he came out with post-match yesterday, would you stand up and back him? De Facto managers delegate to players on the pitch but any manager worth their salt will tell you you always ensure your charges know that when tasks are delegated and should they fail, you're the backstop. You stand up and carry the can 100%, never ones charges.  If it isn't your fault your bosses will know, those you deal with will understand, your humility will be acknowledged and accommodated. That's the whole point of delegation. Yesterday, rather than highlight all that went right in his planning he should have focussed on what went wrong, even if it wasn't his fault, but fully accepting responsibility for the drubbing. Every pun intended but Johnson isn't big enough to do that.

For all the stories Johnson had to tell there was always the nagging doubt that he'd never be able to back them up. As when he was on speed dial to some of Europe's finest managers whilst delivering his best managerial performances and did they place their trust their him? Like Ryan Kent they did. Sporadically playing a kid out of position, in a system nobody other than Johnson thought worth playing. Those actually on speed dial weren't shy in calling each other with dire warnings of how best to protect their talent.

Again, the basics of management, whatever sector one occupies, is ones most important assets are the folks who work within and interact with ones organisation. Johnson's fundamental problem is he isn't a people person. It's easy to cast him with Napoleon Complex but that's because the prerequisite for stereotype is a deeply engrained element of truth. As many times before, the Sunderland board must have reviewed his antics against Lincoln, his posturing, his short-lived fuse, his running as quick for cover behind the nearest lump he can find when realising he's out of his depth. Biggest problem for him is he's probably never in his life been on the receiving end of a lamping. Nothing so useful as to focus ones actions and strategy.

Does his going change my attitude toward him? Not one bit. He ruined this club, that's his legacy, that isn't for changing.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:
Sunderland 5 December 2020 30 January 2022 78 40 20 18 51.3

This isn't a record that should get any manager sacked from a League One club given they have been in league one for four years.

To be fair, an iffy run and a hammering was never going to end well at somewhere like Sunderland. "Too good to be in league 1" is what they think.

He was extremely lucky here in the respect that Lansdown has never been one to quickly pull the trigger, as well as the fact that the Johnsons and Lansdowns have a very good relationship. He was never going to last there (or anywhere else probably) for as long as he was here, without winning things.