IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

My position on LJ is - he did good things and bad things.

In terms of his LMA letter, it’s pretty decent, no bitterness etc, not sure you can use this against him.

Im really interested where he ends up.  Sunderland was a cracking job to get after City.

Still think it was a bonkers sacking too.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In terms of his LMA letter, it’s pretty decent, no bitterness etc, not sure you can use this against him.

Im really interested where he ends up.  Sunderland was a cracking job to get after City.

Peterborough could happen. Their chairman has always spoken well about him in a begrudging respect kind of way.  Sheff Wed might be a good fit.  Dare I say, Ipswich!!

I think his stock is no lower than when he left here (I don’t think it was low, just no lower now). If anything it’s higher but hard to see him getting a championship job 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Peterborough could happen. Their chairman has always spoken well about him in a begrudging respect kind of way.  Sheff Wed might be a good fit.  Dare I say, Ipswich!!

I think his stock is no lower than when he left here (I don’t think it was low, just no lower now). If anything it’s higher but hard to see him getting a championship job 

How did it go for his dad there?

I’m not sure I’m ready for Johnson and Fry double-act…..eek! ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think his stock is lower personally. Not much though. I don't think he'd get a Championship job either, and there aren't many "bigger" in L1 currently than Sunderland.

I hope he gets promoted somewhere, it's what he needs. If he could swallow his pride a bit a L2 team who could challenge would be ideal I think, somewhere who would buy into him, he could be there and relatively safe for a year or two at least, and take them up. Mind you... I said the same thing after he left here, but for L1.

A upper mid table L1 who want promotion, but not yesterday might be a fit too. Sheffield Weds is a good shout I think. Oxford if Robinson missed out again (although he's doing a good job there)?

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I hope he gets promoted somewhere, it's what he needs.

Too right! I wasn't a great fan of LJ's time here but he's obviously not lacking in talent as a coach. He's young, but after 400 plus matches as a manager he needs a few more concrete achievements on his CV. There aren't many clubs who appoint a manager to tread water.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

More likely to get a job at Millwall Blackpool Preston Luton I.e any middling Champ team than a L1 promotion chasers given he has never won promotion and never been relegated

What would they think he's going to do for them though? Tread water? I think he's someone to build on a base and get them playing well, but I don't see why he'd be more effective at doing that in the Championship.

If you're good enough to sit comfortably mid table championship you should be able to seriously challenge the top of L1 with a decent club surely.

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

What would they think he's going to do for them though? Tread water? I think he's someone to build on a base and get them playing well, but I don't see why he'd be more effective at doing that in the Championship.

If you're good enough to sit comfortably mid table championship you should be able to seriously challenge the top of L1 with a decent club surely.

Threaten promotion like he did for us whilst keeping us well clear of relegation

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Too right! I wasn't a great fan of LJ's time here but he's obviously not lacking in talent as a coach. He's young, but after 400 plus matches as a manager he needs a few more concrete achievements on his CV. There aren't many clubs who appoint a manager to tread water.

We have done exactly that but reading a few on here you wouldn't realise it.........

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We have done exactly that but reading a few on here you wouldn't realise it.........

hmm...if you're referring to Pearson I'm assuming that his brief is a short-to medium rebuild, which he has experience of doing, and then see where that takes us. I see us moving forward, I'm actually mildly excited by the progress in recent performances. What I could never fathom about LJ was how his experience to date fitted the club's very publicly stated ambition of achieving promotion...something he's still never achieved.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Does he qualify to have a crack at Watford yet? Surely he just needs to assume a holding position around Vicarage Road for a while and he'll get a chance?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

hmm...if you're referring to Pearson I'm assuming that his brief is a short-to medium rebuild, which he has experience of doing, and then see where that takes us. I see us moving forward, I'm actually mildly excited by the progress in recent performances. What I could never fathom about LJ was how his experience to date fitted the club's very publicly stated ambition of achieving promotion...something he's still never achieved.

Don't disagree with a word you say but the short term job Pearson was given is to keep us in the division which in effect is treading water. He has been given the full three years to get the ship heading in the right direction which is why I laugh when I see "Pearson Out" threads..........absolutely no chance that Lansdown will even consider it unless something mental like 12 defeats in a row happen. 

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Does he qualify to have a crack at Watford yet? Surely he just needs to assume a holding position around Vicarage Road for a while and he'll get a chance?

He could do worse. Easiest money any Manager will ever earn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Threaten promotion like he did for us whilst keeping us well clear of relegation

Threaten the playoffs you mean - we didn't get near promotion once.

So my cheeky answer would be that over a season we challenged the play offs the same amount of times under Lee that we challenged relegation - once.

16/17 I think we were safe on the final day, by 3 points. 18/19 we lost out on 6th by 4 points - can't remember if it was the final day or not.

The other seasons we were well clear of both.

12 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

As a career move it would make sense.  Call Woy up and ask if there are any coaching roles etc. Give the usual LJ spiel to owners when he gets the opportunity.  Get himself next in line.

Heard an interview with Woy the other day talking about mermaids and ships. It was bonkers. He is a classic Short term appointment if ever there was one

12 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

If Barton goes down and the gash are left manageress, then surely the perfect fit would be LJ.

He knows the area, he can manage his property portfolio whilst seriously mounting a push for promotion. I think it genuinely could work.

I don’t think it’s fair to suggest LJ as manageress!

• Haha 3