IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He struggled or the club’s finances constrained him?  I thought he recruited brilliantly in the circumstances.  I wish he’d been in charge of our recruitment in the past 5 years or so.

He struggled because of the financial restraints. Gives him an excuse but difficult to judge his signings.

But things started to go wrong at Preston when his long term squad began to break up. Not able to replicate.

6 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

He struggled because of the financial restraints. Gives him an excuse but difficult to judge his signings.

But things started to go wrong at Preston when his long term squad began to break up. Not able to replicate.

Just coming at this from a simple position…

…Alex Neil’s Preston finishes above City in all bar one season since we both got promoted, on a hugely constrained budget compared to ours, we on the flipside spunk money all over the place, and it’s difficult to judge his signings?  His last signing was Emil Riis Jakobson!

Maybe time to move on, agreed, but his recruitment at Preston was pretty darn good imho.  Happy if you disagree though…all about opinions.

(note: he signed Timm Klose for Norwich)

• Like 4

Just now, Davefevs said:

Just coming at this from a simple position…

…Alex Neil’s Preston finishes above City in all bar one season since we both got promoted, on a hugely constrained budget compared to ours, we on the flipside spunk money all over the place, and it’s difficult to judge his signings?  His last signing was Emil Riis Jakobson!

Maybe time to move on, agreed, but his recruitment at Preston was pretty darn good imho.  Happy if you disagree though…all about opinions.

(note: he signed Timm Klose for Norwich)

Yep have to disagree - Once Pearson et al left he could not rebuild.

Don't get me wrong exactly the type of manager that we needed here post Holden - get the most out of what we had.

Just think that is his thing, do well with less.

Sacked at Norwich and sacked at Preston.

18 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Don't get me wrong exactly the type of manager that we needed here post Holden - get the most out of what we had.

Which is most managers remit bar the big 6. ?

(He did get Norwich promoted!)

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

To say he struggled at Preston is quite clearly incorrect. His time there was successful when viewed as a whole project of work.  If your stance is if a manager gets sacked then the whole time at a club has been a failure, as you imply, then I’d strongly disagree. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

When you sell Hugill and only get funds to get someone like Stockley of course you’re going to struggle 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

To say he struggled at Preston is quite clearly incorrect. His time there was successful when viewed as a whole project of work.  If your stance is if a manager gets sacked then the whole time at a club has been a failure, as you imply, then I’d strongly disagree. 

You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Not what I said, he was very successful with a very limited squad, once that started to break up he was unable to sustain it with with the replacements. 

I would have been happy with him here after Holden.

3 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

1-0 down to Wimbledon. Was LJ the real problem?

EDIT : 1-1

They lost 2 games in 14 leading to his sacking (albeit his final game was a hammering) 

They have picked up 1 point from the following 3 games and gone from 2 points off the top, to 10 points adrift of that now. 

Stupid decision and I hope they fail miserably. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

They lost 2 games in 14 leading to his sacking (albeit his final game was a hammering) 

They have picked up 1 point from the following 3 games and gone from 2 points off the top, to 10 points adrift of that now. 

Stupid decision and I hope they fail miserably. 

Got to agree. Think I read somewhere that they picked up more points in the calendar year than any other club in England. On top of losing his top striker at the end of last season & from my very minimal knowledge of their transfer dealings, they’ve spent hardly anything ( although a Sunderland fan on here seemed to think they have spent a lot on loans & wages ). Don’t think he’ll be out of the game too long in all honesty. COYR 

• Like 3

On 10/02/2022 at 19:59, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not watched any of that netflix stuff. But their fanzine was one of my favourites, back in the day. And Jonathan Wilson of course. So not all bad. And little of the delusional entitlement found on the other side of the Tyne. 

I still have original 1980s copies of the somewhat sober and serious "Wise Men Say (Johnson Out)" If you'd like to buy

On 09/02/2022 at 17:53, Harry said:

I’d heard of rumours of another party being involved and that Dreyfus was perhaps not the only major shareholder. 
Totally unconfirmed, so just rumour 

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

On 15/02/2022 at 15:56, !james said:

Sunderland fans not happy! Seems a lot more going on in the background... 

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

By an "owner" who, it turns out, is actually a minority shareholder. A case of Sunderland till I lie??

Told ya. ?

• Like 1

Chronicle Live

Sunderland boss Alex Neil explains the stark choice he faces when selecting his starting XI

James Hunter  3 hrs ago

LikeComments

Alex Neil admits he is between a rock and a hard place having to decide whether to field players who are jaded and need a break, or others who are not yet up to match fitness.

The new Sunderland head coach has walked into a storm on Wearside, taking over a side that had won just one of its last seven games and that had slipped way off the automatic promotion pace.

And after drawing his first game in charge at AFC Wimbledon and now losing 2-1 against MK Dons in his first home game at the helm, the crisis shows no sign of easing.

Go here for all the latest Sunderland AFC news

Sunderland have now lost four of their last five games and are seventh in the table - outside the play-off places on goal difference.

Neil spoke about the problems with the squad he has inherited after the game at Wimbledon and expanded on the theme following yesterday's defeat against MK Dons.

He has young players such as Dan Neil, Dennis Cirkin, Callum Doyle, and Ross Stewart who have been mainstays of the side but are clearly in need of a break, while January additions such as Patrick Roberts, Jack Clarke, Trai Hume, and Jermain Defoe are short of minutes and therefore match practice.

"I highlighted it last week and the last thing I want to do is start trying to find excuses and reasons," said Neil.

"The difficulty we have got is the fitness levels of some of the players.

"A lot of the lads haven't played enough gametime, and the problem I have in the limited amount of games we have left is to decide how much I expose them to minutes, because if they are not ready then they can't show their best and that affects the game in a negative way for us.

"We're running out of games, so that side of things is really difficult.

"But of course, you want to get as many of them out on the pitch [as you can] because they can make the difference.

"There are variables that make that much more challenging.

"If it was as straightforward as having everyone on the same level, everyone really fit, they're all ready to go, it's an easy decision, isn't it? I'd just pick who was firing on the day.

"Unfortunately, at the moment, we are not at that stage.

"There's a group of younger players who are in the team who have been playing all season and they need taking out - 100 percent.

"The problem is, what do you choose?

"Play people who are under in terms of minutes and who are not quite ready, or those over their minutes and who has been flogged to death and needs taking out?

"What do you choose?"

There were boos at the full-time whistle as Sunderland's dismal run extended to one win in nine since the turn of the year, and Neil was left trying to pick out what positives he could from another poor performance and worse result.

He said: "As a coach, what you have to do is try to take the result and the performance and try to separate them.

"We need to improve the performance, and what naturally then happens is that the results improve.

"Like the bulk of fans at every club, if you lose then you're cr*p, and if you win then you're alright.

"That's quite straightforward and I understand that.

"That's why in press conferences I'm running the risk of [saying] 'I thought we did well in the second half', and people saying 'he talks a lot of cr*p'.

"That's fine.

"What I have to do is try to balance the game and from a structural point of view large parts of the second half were good, but of course we got got done on the transition on the counter."

Basically, they're knackered! Exactly why LJ's teams consistently hit the wall at the same point in the season. Didn't we know it. 

• Like 2