IGNORED

Tonight....

TomThumb84

30 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Personally, we know Holden set out at the beginning of the season to play 3-5-2, so I'd play Semenyo as the left wing back, and get someone with high energy levels such as Nagy or Massengo to double up down that side when defending.

I keep hearing commentators on Robins TV saying how hard Semenyo works to get back and defend, so I think that's one of our better options.

Think I'd prefer that rather than play Towler and see his confidence get shot to bits, especially as Sheffield Utd will be targeted that area.

Good point this.

I have been at a loss, when, Holden clearly likes a 3-5-2, we have had Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, and now Williams and Lansbury available, that we have not even tried to go to that system.

At centre-half you have 3 of Kalas, Mawson, Vyner, Moore and Mariappa.

Semenyo down the side offers strength, pace, fitness and a decent left peg.

Also gets Diedhiou and Wells operating through the middle.

Makes sense or no?

I really hope we go for it. I absolutely love cup football. 

Only chance of excitement we have. 

Every season people say we should concentrate on the league, then we finish midtable and it's another season gone by doing nothing of note. 

Believe Towler is starting tonight as earlier mentioned. Other than that I hope it's first teamers, no messing about. 

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m genuinely torn as to whether I agree with this or not. 

I kinda feel like any chance of promotion is about as likely as relegation, possibly less so, and thus the league is gone. So does this game represent our best chance of achievement this season? I think it probably does you know. Holden should be feeling like a result in this game buys him a little credit he so desperately needs. 

I agree with you, I am too. I'd love a cup run. I remember getting a crucified by a mate for saying I'd lose to United if it meant we beat Wolves that year because i felt it was our best chance of promotion in years.

I wouldn't take a defeat tonight if it meant a win saturday - I'd probably rather win tonight and lose against Watford as I'd love to see us in a quarter final

That said, longer term the league is more important, especially as some people feel like we're genuine contenders for the drop.

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I lived and worked in Sheffield for a year and would quite happily sit in their "Kop End" for the occasional evening match. On the whole a pretty good bunch of fans (once they'd recovered from the shock of someone sitting in their Home End with a Bath accent). Good city for a night out too.  

Sheffield is a great place for a night out especially after footie been a few times on a away trip to sheff wed and sheff utd and stayed up there,Always had good banter with them so yeah never a problem.

10 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Look at those! Life is worth living...

It's about life balance ? ? 

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I agree with you, I am too. I'd love a cup run. I remember getting a crucified by a mate for saying I'd lose to United if it meant we beat Wolves that year because i felt it was our best chance of promotion in years.

I wouldn't take a defeat tonight if it meant a win saturday - I'd probably rather win tonight and lose against Watford as I'd love to see us in a quarter final

That said, longer term the league is more important, especially as some people feel like we're genuine contenders for the drop.

I don’t think we’re genuine contenders for the drop to be fair. I accept we’re playing like we are, but we had too good a start. I think if we spent the whole of next season with DH in charge (unlikely I know) then I think we would definitely be quite near, if not in, the bottom three. 

As for tonight, it’d be a welcome distraction from the monotony of the league. But be warned, a good result tonight does not suggest all is rosy in Holden/Simpson/theotherchap land!

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I don’t think we’re genuine contenders for the drop to be fair. I accept we’re playing like we are, but we had too good a start. I think if we spent the whole of next season with DH in charge (unlikely I know) then I think we would definitely be quite near, if not in, the bottom three. 

As for tonight, it’d be a welcome distraction from the monotony of the league. But be warned, a good result tonight does not suggest all is rosy in Holden/Simpson/theotherchap land!

Do you think if we had a fully fit squad we'd still be contenders for the drop? Just interested.

I think Dean's been unlucky, though I wouldn't be too disappointed if he's replaced. I wanted Hughton but could understand why DH may have got it, especially from his early interviews. I'd love an experienced manager to take this squad on because I honestly think it's talented.

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Do you think if we had a fully fit squad we'd still be contenders for the drop? Just interested.

I think Dean's been unlucky, though I wouldn't be too disappointed if he's replaced. I wanted Hughton but could understand why DH may have got it, especially from his early interviews. I'd love an experienced manager to take this squad on because I honestly think it's talented.

Definitely not mate. It’d be a bit like LJ’s time in charge. 

We’d beat teams because we had better players, but when you come up against teams who play as a team, or a team with better players than ours, we’d lose. 

If we could just find a manager who got us playing as a team, then I genuinely think this squad is good enough to challenge for top 3 or 4. Paul Cook was that man for me. And I still think he is, but whether he’d work under MA is one thing, and whether we’re in a position to offer him a job before someone else does, I doubt. 

Shame. I feel we’re wasting another year treading water by increasing the wage bill... again. 

And yes, Holden has been incredibly unlucky with injuries, but he’s also been crap. I’ve nothing against him, he’s not dislikable, he’s not arrogant or conceited, he’s just not good enough. I wish him well, but preferably not here!

7 hours ago, maxjak said:

Me?   I am just hoping to avoid embarrassment on National TV..........if he plays Mariappa at left back again, then it will be confirmed that he has terminally lost the plot.  We will win? I doubt it?

I can actually see him swapping Mariappa and Mawson around. 

Archived