Jump to content
IGNORED

Tonight....


TomThumb84
 Share

Recommended Posts

For me, very strange game this and one that I feel is being underplayed a bit.

If (if) we win at Bramall Lane, then a quarter-final place in the FA Cup awaits, and it offers respite for Dean from many of his current detractors (myself included), and we may carry some form into the Watford game, whilst also getting some more much needed minutes on the grass for the likes of Williams, Paterson and Lansbury, with a massive game looming on the horizon.

However, there are currently 10 league places that separate ourselves from Sheff Utd, if we were looking at pushing Top 6 and for Prem football (as we have all been led to believe we were by the club - and that apparently still remains the aim), then we should be going there with an expectancy to win. They have 3 wins all season, and look certainties for the drop.

If we take a bit of a hiding up there, we are out of the Cup, league form and performances are way off, and the noise around Holden and the club will surely increase. We will also have to deal with a ridiculous and futile comparison to Rovers who “only lost 3-2 to them” - something which many will unfortunately point to as some sort of indicator.

Me? I am hoping for a team selection that makes sense, some kind of attacking front foot football, a few shots on target, and some positive momentum into the weekend and the games that really matter after that.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with all you have said. To be honest, I just hope he starts a left footed player at left back. The balance of the side has been shocking the last few games and it’s the game to try something new. I’m not confident of a result but on the positive side we do have a good recent record at Bramall Lane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, BCFC Josh said:

Agree with all you have said. To be honest, I just hope he starts a left footed player at left back. The balance of the side has been shocking the last few games and it’s the game to try something new. I’m not confident of a result but on the positive side we do have a good recent record at Bramall Lane.

Sure if we had one fit he would do just that...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, maxjak said:

Me?   I am just hoping to avoid embarrassment on National TV..........if he plays Mariappa at left back again, then it will be confirmed that he has terminally lost the plot.  We will win? I doubt it?

Surely no chance he plays Mariappa at left back tonight.

0 points from 6 too late, and a glaring admission of poor judgment that Mariappa could add something there in the system we wanted to play, and that we did not need to get one in even short term in the window.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Previously i would have been excited about the possibility of getting to the QF of the FA cup. Live on BBC One too. However im seriously considering giving it a miss - fully expecting a boring game. Wouldn't surprise me if we got a scrappy win - SUFC wont give a monkeys chuff about the game really. I expect ill have it on with one eye on it. Its all a bit Meh at the moment

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

This....

No excuses....certainly if Dean plays Mariappa there again then he really is clueless....

I still think there's no chance a left footer gets the job regardless!!!

Still think the people on the training ground are best placed to know who looks the best in a given position, even if that doesn't translate into a real game as well. Mariappa is experienced, he should be able to play there.

That said, it's not the worst time to be able to try a youngster there. The result isn't hugely important in the grand scheme of things, but if a youngster comes in and gets destroyed it could ruin his confidence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we lose the game I don't think Dean will be able to 'win' with his team selection any way, we've had a busy schedule lately so I imagine he'd want to rotate some players but if he sticks with a strong team to take it seriously and we lose its 'he had a chance to rotate and rest players ahead of league matches' if he rotates and loses its 'wasted a chance to get to a quarter final against a team in the PL relegation zone'

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The result isn't hugely important in the grand scheme of things  

I’m genuinely torn as to whether I agree with this or not. 

I kinda feel like any chance of promotion is about as likely as relegation, possibly less so, and thus the league is gone. So does this game represent our best chance of achievement this season? I think it probably does you know. Holden should be feeling like a result in this game buys him a little credit he so desperately needs. 

  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m genuinely torn as to whether I agree with this or not. 

I kinda feel like any chance of promotion is about as likely as relegation, possibly less so, and thus the league is gone. So does this game represent our best chance of achievement this season? I think it probably does you know. Holden should be feeling like a result in this game buys him a little credit he so desperately needs. 

This is my point and the point of the thread.

The result is massively important. Lose and lose heavy and it feels like we are in a proper slump, win and Holden can at least work some positivity off the back of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Previously i would have been excited about the possibility of getting to the QF of the FA cup. Live on BBC One too. However im seriously considering giving it a miss - fully expecting a boring game. Wouldn't surprise me if we got a scrappy win - SUFC wont give a monkeys chuff about the game really. I expect ill have it on with one eye on it. Its all a bit Meh at the moment

You’re a Bristol city supporter and you’re meh about a last 16 tie in the FA cup ...

get a grip 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is very little to be excited about in my opinion.

We're not going to win the cup. Okay, we're not going to win the cup any season so what's the difference? Well in previous years the potential of a trip to Old Trafford or Goodison etc., an away day out with mates, just maybe the chance of a huge upset and an unforgettable night.

Instead we can watch the empty stadiums on the TV by ourselves. And we hardly have a team you think are capable of causing an upset. 

We could do with the prize money though, I'll give you that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

This is my point and the point of the thread.

The result is massively important. Lose and lose heavy and it feels like we are in a proper slump, win and Holden can at least work some positivity off the back of it.

For Holden's CV, FA Cup QF with Bristol City in challenging circumstances is big. He may need something like that on his CV this summer so massive game for him personally.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sort of game would usually be seen as a free hit, but after thinking about it I think it could be quite significant. If we get a pasting it could be terrible for morale, and we know the board value a cup run so could also be bad for Holden.

✅ 

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

For Holden's CV, FA Cup QF with Bristol City in challenging circumstances is big. He may need something like that on his CV this summer so massive game for him personally.

✅ 

8 minutes ago, Super said:

For a team that has no chance of going up or down this season this is a big game now for us. 

✅ 

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Personally, I would go for my strongest team available. Bentley has to start. They are there for the taking, and , lets be fair, its all we have left this season. If we play fringe players, we basically have zero chance of a result, and will still probably get walloped on Saturday.

✅ 

Edited by Sheltons Army
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Personally, I would go for my strongest team available. Bentley has to start. They are there for the taking, and , lets be fair, its all we have left this season. If we play fringe players, we basically have zero chance of a result, and will still probably get walloped on Saturday.

Have to play our strongest (fittest) team available.

If we decide to go light then he is opening himself up to even more criticism should we lose.

The only reason to not play your strongest side would be to have an excuse to hide behind in defeat and then you put massive pressure on yourself for the Watford game.

Sounds like Dean cannot win but these are the strains you put yourself under as Head Coach of a Top 6 (so say) side, who is spiralling in form, and failing to meet the objectives set.

Horrible game for him in the current situation actually.

Edited by TomThumb84
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Still think the people on the training ground are best placed to know who looks the best in a given position, even if that doesn't translate into a real game as well. Mariappa is experienced, he should be able to play there.

That said, it's not the worst time to be able to try a youngster there. The result isn't hugely important in the grand scheme of things, but if a youngster comes in and gets destroyed it could ruin his confidence

If you believe Mariappa should be playing 'left full back then have your CV ready for when Deano gets the chop..

You'll be in the running😀

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for a team selection that fits with a formation rather than square pegs all over the place, some decent attacking football with some shots on target. It's a winnable game with the form they're in, despite being a league above us.

I'm expecting a lot less. Cagey, dull game with us trying to do them on the counter attack.

Holden has a free pass to some extent. We will be expected to lose because they're a league above us, so in some respect you hope he tries something a bit different with the possibility that it works, and in turn we can use the changes in the league. 

Sheffield United will be up for this as well though (well they should be!) as it's a chance for them to change their fortunes. 

Going back to what I expect though - maybe there is an outside chance of one of the managers/coaches being sacked on the back of this.

You kind of expect Wilder to stay in charge even if they go down, but maybe if we beat them tonight, it could be the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak. On the flipside, if we play badly and get a 3/4-0 defeat, on the national stage, then maybe we'll see "Deano" given his p45.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Son of Fred said:

If you believe Mariappa should be playing 'left full back then get your CV in when Deano gets the chop..

You'll be in the running😀

Dean Holden and Bristol City FC “We do not need a short term solution at left back”

Mick McCarthy and Cardiff City FC “They have no left back, thanks for the 3 points boys”.

Hard to argue who is right, training ground or not! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, shelts said:

I fancy us to get replay and beat them at the gate 

??????

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

Sorry if this is a whoosh - but aren’t there no replays?

Correct, extra time and penalties.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...