IGNORED

Sheffield United (A) - Weds 10th Feb 19:30 - Matchday thread

What will the result be?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome at full time?

• Bristol City Win
    • Draw (goes to extra time and penalties.)
    • Sheffield United Win
  2. 2. How many will City score?

• 3+ (Our only two times this season were in cup competitions!)
  3. 3. How many will Sheffield United score?

• 3+ (They've only done this once this season... guess who against! I'll give you a clue, they're loyal and true.)
  4. 4. IF it's a draw at full time, what's the outcome?

• Bristol City win after extra time.
    • Bristol City win after penalties.
    • Sheffield United win after extra time.
    • Sheffield United win after penalties.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/21 at 19:31

17 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, whilst I like and really admire Taylor Moore, both as a central defender and as a thoroughly pleasant young man, I cannot help but feel he is not comfortable playing on the left - and certainly not as a fullback.

I agree. But what options do we have? Is there anyone who's more comfortable there - and fit?

53 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I do agree, but I think the Mariappa experiment has proven to have failed and it’s time to try something else. At least Moore has a bit of pace which can get him out to trouble in some situations. 
The other alternative might be to play Hunt/Vyner there who have some full back experience. 
What I’m trying to say is please god not Mariappa again 

I would seriously consider playing Harper.

We must focus on the league, so I'd rest some players.

......................O'Leary

...Mariappa...Vyner...Kalas...Moore

...Massengo..Nagy...Bakinson...Paterson

.........................Palmer

..........................Wells

Bench: Bentley,Hunt,Mawson/Towler,Lansbury,Williams,Semenyo,Diédhiou/Bell.

13 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Even though Fam has been pretty poor the last few games, and probably a sure starter, I'd love to see Bell get at least 30 mins.

I would’ve brought him on yesterday for at least 15 mins.

I’d be tempted to start him with Wells on Wednesday.  Pace!  So what if he isn’t up to it.  Give him the first 45mins and tell him to show us what he can do.  You never know.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would’ve brought him on yesterday for at least 15 mins.

I’d be tempted to start him with Wells on Wednesday.  Pace!  So what if he isn’t up to it.  Give him the first 45mins and tell him to show us what he can do.  You never know.

I hate Bell and Pearson being on the bench if we refuse to use them if we need a goal. What circumstance would we use them? Oh if we need a goal and Wells gets injured in the 93rd minute...

I want to do the "So what if he isn't up to it" with left backs in the Sheff United game. Why not try the players who play there in the youth team?

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think TM is a better bet, he can use his left foot as he showed yesterday and is deceptively fast, earlier when we were stuck for a LCB it was Moore who stepped up to do it, not Vyner.  Not sure Vyner or Hunt is any better on the left, but if they are you could put TM as RB.

And he was, and is, a ****ing liability.

16 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I hate Bell and Pearson being on the bench if we refuse to use them if we need a goal. What circumstance would we use them? Oh if we need a goal and Wells gets injured in the 93rd minute...

I want to do the "So what if he isn't up to it" with left backs in the Sheff United game. Why not try the players who play there in the youth team?

Agree.  Cotts used to get stick for naming 6 subs, but apart from the experience of being around the 1st team squad, it’s pointless if you aren’t gonna play them.

Harper at LB could be supported by 10 first teamers.  Why not?  Abd what if he does “just” ok....well it’s not worse than what we’ve seen.  And so what if it shows he needs to work harder.  Win-win.

We may have a chance if we put 22 names in a hat!

First one drawn out goes in goal then the next 10 each pick what position they want to play in as they are drawn.

We might even get one in the right position, if not it won’t matter, none of our “best” are used to playing in their “best” position - ask Mr Wells!

Tactical leadership given by our kitman, he knows how to have a good game!

Would certainly be more interesting to watch than the crap we are getting now!

If Holden n Ashton want to be involved - the water boy could have the night off - they don’t do anything more useful! 

13 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Vyner may be the solution but when we needed someone to move earlier in the year it was not him that was felt was the best suited to do it, so we have no idea if he can. Think we also need to play both Nagy in midfield and Zac back in defence

Well we know that Mariappa can't. Apart from that we don't really know if anyone available can.

10 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

The play offs are going to be a tough ask, even a glass half full supporter like myself acknowledges that. I think we play our strongest team with the chance of an FA Cup quarter final the carrot.

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Mawson

Hunt Lansbury Vyner

Paterson Massengo

Diedhou Wells

3-5-2 Vyner the best fit at left wing back. Good on the ball, athletic, and versatile if the formation isn't working COYR

Sorry, should be Moore in the centre defence not Vyner...again ?

A lot of expectation on Vyner. Let’s hope he can pull it off!

35 minutes ago, dave36 said:

We may have a chance if we put 22 names in a hat!

First one drawn out goes in goal then the next 10 each pick what position they want to play in as they are drawn.

We might even get one in the right position, if not it won’t matter, none of our “best” are used to playing in their “best” position - ask Mr Wells!

Tactical leadership given by our kitman, he knows how to have a good game!

Would certainly be more interesting to watch than the crap we are getting now!

If Holden n Ashton want to be involved - the water boy could have the night off - they don’t do anything more useful! 

One team I played for drew lots for position on the last game of the season which was a nothing game for both sides. The smallest lad in the team went in goal, the keeper was up front and the Left Back drew.........Left Back......and they made him play there!! Lost 5-4.

I would hope that we would be looking to avoid injuries to key players, and doing whatever necessary to make sure we have something like a competitive team on Saturday. Making sure that we stay clear of 22nd is key priority.

I just put this down to a weird season ruined by a virus and injuries. At least some younger players have developed and got valuable Championship experience. 

Not sure we have any answers. Mariappa isn't working (not his fault) that's clear, but we have to struggle on for a week or so.
I think that means we go to 3 CB's, I think that could take some pressure off of the sacrificial lamb that plays on the left.
I'd also start Lansbury and Williams to get more minutes in. 
With Martin's season finished I'd rest Fam, we could either give Semenyo a run through the middle , or why not give Bell a run, absolutely nothing to lose.
My team would be;

Oleary
         Mariappa - Kalas - Mawson
Moore            Lansbury              Vyner
            Williams           Paterson
              Bell               Wells

My theory for LWB is Vyner is more athletic/dynamic , he should be able to cover and with 3 CB's gives a little leeway to get forward. Paterson needs games and I'd make sure we use all subs. Bell I would just send out and tell him to have fun for 45 minutes. If he's doing well , give him longer, if it's not working Semenyo should be given 45 through the middle. I would like to see him breaking on to their CB's. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would seriously consider playing Harper.

Agree. Seems he’s the only fit left back at the club. He’s young - might sink... but might swim. 
FA Cup tie against Premier League opposition is ultimately a great test and yet risk free. 

Another stupid trend in football - playing people out of position just because they’re experienced.  just pick the best available player in each position. Round pegs, round holes. If that means an 18 year old plays, so be it. 

37 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Agree. Seems he’s the only fit left back at the club. He’s young - might sink... but might swim. 
FA Cup tie against Premier League opposition is ultimately a great test and yet risk free. 

Another stupid trend in football - playing people out of position just because they’re experienced.  just pick the best available player in each position. Round pegs, round holes. If that means an 18 year old plays, so be it. 

Didn’t harm Lloyd Kelly, didn’t harm Scott Golbourne, didn’t harm Joe Bryan.

I'd like to see this:

Bentley

Hunt                Kalas               Mawson              Harper

Williams            Vyner

Semenyo                   Massengo                      Paterson

Wells

We look so lethargic and slow as a team to me, and it starts from the front.

We need better balance and more energy as a team, much better movement, keep the ball on the deck and we need players who can handle/carry the ball and who can break beyond their man.  

The fun has gone.  For first time ever in FA cup match against opposition from higher league I really am not bothered.

The only thing needed now is for SL either to wake up and smell the coffee or walk.  I’ve had it with all the promises, sound bites, and posturing.

I want my City back

29 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I'd like to see this:

Bentley

Hunt                Kalas               Mawson              Harper

Williams            Vyner

Semenyo                   Massengo                      Paterson

Wells

We look so lethargic and slow as a team to me, and it starts from the front.

We need better balance and more energy as a team, much better movement, keep the ball on the deck and we need players who can handle/carry the ball and who can break beyond their man.  

I like this to be fair. Problem is we are so light on wide forwards we should have replaced Eliasson as a priority. Dont agree with left back and think Semenyo needs a rest but very little choice in those positions.....for what its worth think there is zero chance Holden will do it. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t harm Lloyd Kelly, didn’t harm Scott Golbourne, didn’t harm Joe Bryan.

You’re right! 

Yet another thing that confuses me about Bristol City.... we talk a good youth development game but don’t half hold players back (only one home grown starter yesterday- despite all the talk and all the injuries). 

What I expect:

Bentley

Mariappa      Kalas     Mawson

Hunt                                                         Moore

Lansbury      Williams     Vyner

Diedhiou           Wells

Bench: O'Leary, Towler, Nagy, Massengo, Paterson, Palmer, Semenyo

I expect the game to be used to get more minutes into the legs of Lansbury and Williams, I think Moore coming on for Mariappa was a tester as to Moore's capabilities on the left and Dean has spoken about times where he's been frustrated that he can't match teams up, if he thinks Moore capable I think we could well go 352. Vyner in midfield as a more defensive option while allowing the other two some freedom. I don't see Dean straying from the front two either.

What I'd like to see

O'Leary

Vyner       Moore     Mawson

Hunt                                                           Harper

Nagy   Lansbury     Massengo

Semenyo         Wells

Bench: Jojo, Mariappa, Towler, Williams, Bakinson, Paterson, Bell, Britton

We won't be expected to get a result here so where's the harm in seeing if Harper could be ready for championship action, put Mawson alongside him as an experienced head who communicates well. O'Leary deserves to keep the cup spot and I'd give Bentley a game off entirely by taking Jojo, same with Kalas. I'd go with a mobile midfield where possible with Nagy and Massengo and then Lansbury to try and thread balls, we could see his intent when passing lanes were open. I'd also go Semenyo and Wells upfront for mobilty, again looking to get on balls from Lansbury or Massengo/Nagy breaking forward on turnovers. Frankly I'd drop Diedhiou on recent performances, give him a rocket up his ass and tell him performances need to improve to be playing for us, tell him he's hardly going to get a good offer if he moves on if he doesn't play well for us or misses out on play time for 4 months because of it hurting his next move. Britton's performances in the 23's judging by match reports deserve a chance if we want a physical presence.

Archived