IGNORED

Sheffield United (A) - Weds 10th Feb 19:30 - Matchday thread

What will the result be?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome at full time?

• Bristol City Win
    • Draw (goes to extra time and penalties.)
    • Sheffield United Win
  2. 2. How many will City score?

• 3+ (Our only two times this season were in cup competitions!)
  3. 3. How many will Sheffield United score?

• 3+ (They've only done this once this season... guess who against! I'll give you a clue, they're loyal and true.)
  4. 4. IF it's a draw at full time, what's the outcome?

• Bristol City win after extra time.
    • Bristol City win after penalties.
    • Sheffield United win after extra time.
    • Sheffield United win after penalties.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/21 at 19:31

21 hours ago, JonDolman said:

O'Leary 

Moore Kalas. Mawson

Vyner.    Bakinson.  Nagy 

Williams.  Paterson 

Semenyo. Wells 

Nagy at LWB seems a reasonable suggestion in the circumstances. Great engine, defensive minded, athletic and versatile.

Obviously not ideal, but a better option than Mariappa in the circumstances.

O'Leary.         

Vyner.    Kalas.   Mawson.

Hunt.                                      Harper.

Patterson.  Williams.  Nagy.

Diedhiou.      Wells.

Bench;

Bakinson...Lansbury...Palmer...Bents....Britton...Bell...Mariappa..Towler.

20 hours ago, Simon79 said:

I guess the proofs in the pudding. COYR

It's not though. Just because we lose doesn't mean someone sat on OTIB had the right formula necessarily? We don't know the ins and outs, the mood of the players, the injuries and fatigue levels, their comfort in a new position that they may have already tried on the training ground, even someone having a bad nights sleep because their kid kept them awake or they woke up feeling under the weather! Whilst it's fun/interesting to debate we simply aren't in a position to name a team from any position other than form and "on paper" ability.

Making changes to things that aren't working in a game is different, there are some seriously knowledgeable people on here who spot weaknesses that often our manager doesnt manage to see (or doesnt consider an issue) but no one can pick a team pre-match without that inside knowledge of the players IMO - it's too easy to criticise after the game that they got it wrong.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

It's not though. Just because we lose doesn't mean someone sat on OTIB had the right formula necessarily? We don't know the ins and outs, the mood of the players, the injuries and fatigue levels, their comfort in a new position that they may have already tried on the training ground, even someone having a bad nights sleep because their kid kept them awake or they woke up feeling under the weather! Whilst it's fun/interesting to debate we simply aren't in a position to name a team from any position other than form and "on paper" ability.

Making changes to things that aren't working in a game is different, there are some seriously knowledgeable people on here who spot weaknesses that often our manager doesnt manage to see (or doesnt consider an issue) but no one can pick a team pre-match without that inside knowledge of the players IMO - it's too easy to criticise after the game that they got it wrong.

I agree with a lot of what you have written. But if we lose against a team with seemingly lesser players ( although I agree only on paper ), then whose fault is it? If we are outplayed by a lesser team, whose fault is that? Who picks the system? My first thought is always towards the players, they are the ones who cross the white line, is it individual mistakes, bad attitude, concentration lapses?  or a tactical error? & that is currently my biggest worry, I think there are silly tactical errors. I would say I’m a fairly level headed poster, consistent in my views, consistent on how I think the game should be played, consistent on my beliefs on how the club should be ran, but what I’m currently seeing worries me, it frustrates me & it feels to me that we are rudderless. I think it’s fair to say that a lot of the criticisms have not only been after a game, but when the line up is announced, along with the formation. Now you are correct when you say that we as fans don’t know what’s happening in a player’s personal life, but that for example doesn’t explain why we went 4-4-2 against Norwich or why we struggle to muster a couple of shots on target during 90 minutes. It is good fun or a good debating topic, picking Saturdays team, that’s just what fans do. We all think we could manage, but sometimes forget the complexities underneath the title of the job. Football is a game of opinions, always has been, always will be, that’s why we love it, what worries me at the moment is the only persons opinion that counts. COYR 

Won’t happen but:

Bentley

⬇️Hunt | Vyner | Kalas | Mawson | Harper⬇️

Williams

Paterson | Palmer

Wells | Bell

I’d perhaps more realistically swap Bell for Massengo and go 5221.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Won’t happen but:

Bentley

⬇️Hunt | Vyner | Kalas | Mawson | Harper⬇️

Williams

Paterson | Palmer

Wells | Bell

I’d perhaps more realistically swap Bell for Massengo and go 5221.

The only problem is we have been so week in midfield and as much as I like Palmer, I am not sure we can have another creative player with him (Paterson), as neither are hard grafters, particularly up against a prem side.

I would like to go 1 up front, would not mind Bell or Wells given a go, add Massengo, and Nagy to midfield to play with either Palmer or Paterson

You then have Bakinson / Lansbury / Semenyo to swap and freshen up.

On 07/02/2021 at 14:31, Simon79 said:

Bentley

Vyner              Kalas            Mawson

Nagy                                                                                                         Hunt

Williams             Lansbury

Palmer

Paterson               Wells

Sorry, but that team looks all over place and out of position 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interested to know why he has been recalled. 

Would be a big surprise if it's Webb that starts on Wednesday. 

In fairness @Lrrr thinks it might be to do with National Leagues stopping....makes sense.

Would be a remarkable couple of days if true though.

As per my twitter think Antoine will get the gig at LWB.

23 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Don’t worry, at today’s presser, DH said he was “excited” about what he had planned for the team on Wednesday! ?

Does DH not know that the planned shopping trip to Meadowhall is off the agenda due to COVID? Can’t see much else for them to get excited about on a freezing Wednesday in February in Sheffield, and certainly not on the pitch at Bramall Lane...

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep went there 2nd half against Cardiff. Played right wing back briefly for us too and at times been more like a wing back in where he has to defend all 2nd half when we have been hanging on. Certainly looks like he could do that role.

I thought before the Cardiff game that looking at the 11 picked, Semenyo left wing back with the very experienced Mapps, Kalas and Mawson as a back 3 would be the best way of playing. 

Only disappointing thing about Semenyo left wing back is that we then only have Fam and Wells up top as options. I would like Antoine up top with Wells ideally.

So as it is maybe just Wells up top in a wing back system.

No idea if it’s the best option, just think it’s what Holden might do to go back to 352.

Give Sam Bell a start....got serious pace.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Problem is a weak ref like Gillet on the weekend helps teams like Cardiff more than us. No excuses but was not helped by the weak official

He was the big hope out of Oz, all mic’d up, communicating his decisions to the crowd and tv audience, like a rugby ref.  But A-League ain’t the Championship.  In the few games we’ve had him he has been weak, and shown poor understanding of the difference between cheating, shithousery and genuine injuries.

Its not an easy job, but I don’t think they help themselves.  

It’s a bit of a free hit this one. Obviously the LB problem is there.

If we’re going to do anything this season, whether that’s a respectable finish or somehow a late charge on the playoffs, we need to create more chances and get players like Wells (who’s our most natural goalscorer) firing. 

Those XG stats were very concerning. We’re not generating enough changes and they indicate it’ll decrease further unless we improve drastically.

If it was me - I’d try something like this

Bentley

Vyner, Kalas, Mawson, Towler

Williams, Bakinson

Semenyo, Palmer, Lansbury

Wells

The whole aim would be to generate chances for Wells. Semenyo playing like a wide forward with Palmer and Lansbury fairly fluid sitting deeper as attacking midfielders.

Hand forced a bit at LB, wouldn’t be against giving someone like Nagy a go. Seems to have the attributes to ‘do a job’ at LB. Surely better than Mariappa.

Archived