IGNORED

Sheffield United (A) - Weds 10th Feb 19:30 - Matchday thread

What will the result be?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome at full time?

• Bristol City Win
    • Draw (goes to extra time and penalties.)
    • Sheffield United Win
  2. 2. How many will City score?

• 3+ (Our only two times this season were in cup competitions!)
  3. 3. How many will Sheffield United score?

• 3+ (They've only done this once this season... guess who against! I'll give you a clue, they're loyal and true.)
  4. 4. IF it's a draw at full time, what's the outcome?

• Bristol City win after extra time.
    • Bristol City win after penalties.
    • Sheffield United win after extra time.
    • Sheffield United win after penalties.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/21 at 19:31

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Agree but that is standard for a professional football club. The same as it is standard to create chances and score goals. If we were winning games 1-0 I could stomach it . But we aren’t scoring or creating we aren’t keeping clean sheets and we are not winning games. We are in free for all and it’s very concerning IMO

Worth noting Sheffield United have perked up in recent weeks. Results wise anyway, however unsure I'd have started Diedhiou. Semenyo right, Paterson left, Wells central. Or Palmer behind Wells and Semenyo.

Just it's too easy to lump it when Diedhiou plays. "Big man, high ball, forget midfield". Why vs Cardiff with their 3 big CBs 2nd half we were hitting long balls or crossing high, what suspect tactics.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

These people still don’t get it, **** knows why. Sack Dean and guess who gets to take 6 weeks appointing the next nondescript doomed to failure Manager.

There’s a chance the manager will go sometime soonish, there is zero chance that SL or JL are going anywhere soon. I’d imagine that’s why. We’ve got to have some hope of improvements before SL / JL eventually sells up which could be years / decades away! Realism in other words.  

Just now, maxjak said:

As i have said elsewhere we need pace upfront and bite in midfield...........but we are not too faraway with 2 or 3 additions and after giving Wells his pension.......we defended well, but have no attack

That probably sums it up. Our current set of forwards (U23s) and Semenyo excluded we don’t do enough to frighten defenders. Fam and Martin have their moments and Wells is a waste of an undoubted chunk of salary. 

17 minutes ago, Dottie said:

He was top scorer in the league before he came to us & if you watch footage of his time there, he looked exactly the same. Just the way he is I suppose. 

He is an “in the box” striker, but as a team we never get in the fkn box.

We are so negative, it does my head in. Sheff U are not a good side, and we did not even have a go at them.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Our final 3rd performance is a worry I agree but generally tonight we did ok. Not the result I wanted obviously but I do take some positives from the game.

My worry is trying to take positives is literally all we are taking out of games!

I was looking forward to it tonight. Following recent disappointments, a chance to make the last 8 in nearly 50 years, I was looking for a real blood and guts performance. For me that was so disappointing and disheartening. 

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Well it was not to bad, but lets face the reality. Sheffield United are bottom by a long way in the league above us, and were the better team tonight. We are as a club at best mid table Championship and worst a bottom of the league club. It hurts me to say that.

Overall they are struggling in the PL this season, but they recently won against Man Utd and lost only by 1 goal against Man City and Chelsea, so they're not so bad right now.

Looking at the posts on the match day thread, you'd think we'd just put in another mistake littered performance. I may be in the minority here but, I thought we were doing okay, not brilliant but not bad. It certainly wasn't as bad as some performances recently, with mis control, misplaced passes, lack of effort and, gives us something to build on.

I thought Patterson and Williams broke up their play quite well, with Vyner holding centrally and both looked to drive forward when in possession. The three centre backs did well, with Moore much more suited to the right hand side. Towler made a very good debut for a young lad.

Usual problems with the strikers, greedy little git and a big bloke who looks disinterested and lacking in tenacity. Equally we have a weakness in goal when Bentley doesn't play. sadly I don't believe Max has the desire needed to actually dominate any situation, he's just too timid.

I think it was unfair to judge whether the ball hit Mawson's hand by only taking the flight of the ball from the side view, I thought from the off that it had hit his thigh first, then to send him off was also harsh. 

The best team won but, we have something to build on and hopefully the injury to Williams isn't a bad one.

3 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

My worry is trying to take positives is literally all we are taking out of games!

I was looking forward to it tonight. Following recent disappointments, a chance to make the last 8 in nearly 50 years, I was looking for a real blood and guts performance. For me that was so disappointing and disheartening. 

We all know we have issues in the way we play but remember had our centre forward squared the ball instead of being a selfish little ***** then that game could easily have had a different outcome. I’d give him the train fare home and tell him to get out of my ******* sight if it was my team.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

He is an “in the box” striker, but as a team we never get in the fkn box.

We are so negative, it does my head in. Sheff U are not a good side, and we did not even have a go at them.

I Cannot believe the female co commentator called Sheff U..........Slick,  ha?  We needed to buy a striker with pace, not Wells, he is all wrong for a side with no wingers, LJ was stupid to buy him IMHO. 

Usual not bother to change and affect the game with substitutions until too late, why do we all see the game so different to our fake coaches. Lumping balls to 2 disinterested strolling around strikers was not working. Why not change at half time and try something else? But as usual stands with a glum confussed look on his face wondering if he can phone a friend for advice. 

Alright being a young coach, but go and learn somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

See I thought we equipped ourselves quite well. Good chance for Kalas in first half which if converted would have changed the game obviously. Up front we are lightweight. We bring on all the subs in the second half who have the trickery / ability to change the game but no one to convert the chance. Fam is our only hope. Wells and Semenyo really are just 2nd best just now. To win games you must score goals and preferably more than the opposition.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We all know we have issues in the way we play but remember had our centre forward squared the ball instead of being a selfish little ***** then that game could easily have had a different outcome. I’d give him the train fare home and tell him to get out of my ******* sight if it was my team.

That was a huge error agreed

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I Cannot believe the female co commentator called Sheff U..........Slick,  ha?  We needed to buy a striker with pace, not Wells, he is all wrong for a side with no wingers, LJ was stupid to buy him IMHO. 

It was a convenient signing.  It made sense at the time as Burnley wanted Brownhill and we wanted a goalscorer.  Nothing good ever really happens out of convenience other than something convenient at the time.  

For me it shows you how far we have regressed since Weimann scored a hat trick up there.

I don't think there was any doubt Sheffield United were going to win that game one way or another. We didn't carry enough threat going forward. 

We could well be in the same division next season but they are miles ahead of us in organisation, movement, tactics and motivation.

I don't think we had any belief that we would. That's the Head Coach's job to instill that and that's non existent.

I thought Pato and Williams looked good first half. But rushing Williams back looks to have cost us again. If he's broke down again then that is poor management as he's only had 65 mins of a reserve fixture and similar time in the Cardiff defeat.

But I think you saw the real problems we have which is up front. You defend first from the front and in Wells and Diedhiou they offer nothing in that respect. Wells in particular looks completely out of sorts and the failure to get his head up and spot an unmarked Pato is pretty damming and sums him up for me. Diedhiou ambles around and isn't switched on enough. It's almost like its the wrong players being asked to do a job they plainly cannot do which is a lot of running. So yet again a disjointed formation with the front players starved of anything.

For me it was definitely a night for Semenyo with Palmer in behind. Plenty of movement and keeping their defence occupied. So it's no surprise we looked better when those two came on.

We are so predictable with the lack of movement up front. They need wingers and playing balls into the box and supporting. But that will never happen because we have so many problems in midfield and play too deep for most of the time. That's a tactical problem the Head Coach fails to address time and again.

As an example when we had Nicky Maynard he was very adept at putting pressure on defenders with his quick movement. Its just not Wells and Diedhiou's game.

VAR and the subsequent sending off was a complete farce. Why do we have to be punished twice for an involuntary movement of the arm which was a balancing movement with the penalty and the sending off?

Jack Hunt looked like he was struggling with his heal again but some of his passes were so sloppy and wayward culminating in that dreadful pass back free kick at the end.

Riley Towler can be very proud for an accomplished debut and was one of the plus points tonight. I thought Taylor Moore played well also.

Overall, disappointing and predictable.

Just like Dean Holden.

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

For me it shows you how far we have regressed since Weimann scored a hat trick up there.

I don't think there was any doubt Sheffield United were going to win that game one way or another. We didn't carry enough threat going forward. 

We could well be in the same division next season but they are miles ahead of us in organisation, movement, tactics and motivation.

I don't think we had any belief that we would. That's the Head Coach's job to instill that and that's non existent.

I thought Pato and Williams looked good first half. But rushing Williams back looks to have cost us again. If he's broke down again then that is poor management as he's only had 65 mins of a reserve fixture and similar time in the Cardiff defeat.

But I think you saw the real problems we have which is up front. You defend first from the front and in Wells and Diedhiou they offer nothing in that respect. Wells in particular looks completely out of sorts and the failure to get his head up and spot an unmarked Pato is pretty damming and sums him up for me. Diedhiou ambles around and isn't switched on enough. It's almost like its the wrong players being asked to do a job they plainly cannot do which is a lot of running. So yet again a disjointed formation with the front players starved of anything.

For me it was definitely a night for Semenyo with Palmer in behind. Plenty of movement and keeping their defence occupied. So it's no surprise we looked better when those two came on.

We are so predictable with the lack of movement up front. They need wingers and playing balls into the box and supporting. But that will never happen because we have so many problems in midfield and play too deep for most of the time. That's a tactical problem the Head Coach fails to address time and again.

As an example when we had Nicky Maynard he was very adept at putting pressure on defenders with his quick movement. Its just not Wells and Diedhiou's game.

VAR and the subsequent sending off was a complete farce. Why do we have to be punished twice for an involuntary movement of the arm which was a balancing movement with the penalty and the sending off?

Jack Hunt looked like he was struggling with his heal again but some of his passes were so sloppy and wayward culminating in that dreadful pass back free kick at the end.

Riley Towler can be very proud for an accomplished debut and was one of the plus points tonight. I thought Taylor Moore played well also.

Overall, disappointing and predictable.

Just like Dean Holden.

I think we miss Weimann more than we realise.

48 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Boring, passionless, going through the motions with no spark or talent going forward. Only looked like scoring when the front two were finally taken off. What took him so long to get them off? 

Exactly. Changes were way too late. Why can’t we at lest have a go. It’s a cup competition. Keeper didn’t even come up for Hunt’ pinpoint free kick.

We seem to be going through the motions of expecting to lose, but hoping we get a chance out of nowhere that can change things. It's hard to watch a team with a blunt attack and selfish striker and few chances created which seem to be getting fewer by the game.  Yes you need to start from the back and be organized defensively but apart from eager youth tonight a soulless, aimless team display.

Entertainment is not expected anymore but a team that tries until the final whistle is always respected by the fans.

The appointment of experience is a factor, you just have to take a jealous look at Bristol rugby and the difference a world class coach makes assisted by quality players.  Yes it's cheaper but does the current setup realize that  to succeed in football costs.  They need to be honest and tell us what their real aims are.  The Premiership is not going to happen with the current leadership - starting with CEO.

17 minutes ago, Gordon Saunderson said:

I’d have preferred it if we had gone out and  had a go instead of that boring load of shite, yes you are right it was a lot better than recent performances though so what does that say about us

5 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Exactly. Changes were way too late. Why can’t we at lest have a go. It’s a cup competition. Keeper didn’t even come up for Hunt’ pinpoint free kick.

We don't know how to "have a go" and that's the problem

Archived