Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Sheffield United (A) - Weds 10th Feb 19:30 - Matchday thread

What will the result be?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We all know we have issues in the way we play but remember had our centre forward squared the ball instead of being a selfish little ***** then that game could easily have had a different outcome. I’d give him the train fare home and tell him to get out of my ******* sight if it was my team.

That was a huge error agreed

1 hour ago, Hocca said:

Paterson is so guilty of this every game, just needs to play the simple 5 yard pass instead of trying a flick which isn’t on all the time.

He's 29.  If he hasn't worked this out yet then he is destined to be bang average.

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I Cannot believe the female co commentator called Sheff U..........Slick,  ha?  We needed to buy a striker with pace, not Wells, he is all wrong for a side with no wingers, LJ was stupid to buy him IMHO. 

It was a convenient signing.  It made sense at the time as Burnley wanted Brownhill and we wanted a goalscorer.  Nothing good ever really happens out of convenience other than something convenient at the time.  

• Like 1

For me it shows you how far we have regressed since Weimann scored a hat trick up there.

I don't think there was any doubt Sheffield United were going to win that game one way or another. We didn't carry enough threat going forward. 

We could well be in the same division next season but they are miles ahead of us in organisation, movement, tactics and motivation.

I don't think we had any belief that we would. That's the Head Coach's job to instill that and that's non existent.

I thought Pato and Williams looked good first half. But rushing Williams back looks to have cost us again. If he's broke down again then that is poor management as he's only had 65 mins of a reserve fixture and similar time in the Cardiff defeat.

But I think you saw the real problems we have which is up front. You defend first from the front and in Wells and Diedhiou they offer nothing in that respect. Wells in particular looks completely out of sorts and the failure to get his head up and spot an unmarked Pato is pretty damming and sums him up for me. Diedhiou ambles around and isn't switched on enough. It's almost like its the wrong players being asked to do a job they plainly cannot do which is a lot of running. So yet again a disjointed formation with the front players starved of anything.

For me it was definitely a night for Semenyo with Palmer in behind. Plenty of movement and keeping their defence occupied. So it's no surprise we looked better when those two came on.

We are so predictable with the lack of movement up front. They need wingers and playing balls into the box and supporting. But that will never happen because we have so many problems in midfield and play too deep for most of the time. That's a tactical problem the Head Coach fails to address time and again.

As an example when we had Nicky Maynard he was very adept at putting pressure on defenders with his quick movement. Its just not Wells and Diedhiou's game.

VAR and the subsequent sending off was a complete farce. Why do we have to be punished twice for an involuntary movement of the arm which was a balancing movement with the penalty and the sending off?

Jack Hunt looked like he was struggling with his heal again but some of his passes were so sloppy and wayward culminating in that dreadful pass back free kick at the end.

Riley Towler can be very proud for an accomplished debut and was one of the plus points tonight. I thought Taylor Moore played well also.

Overall, disappointing and predictable.

Just like Dean Holden.

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

For me it shows you how far we have regressed since Weimann scored a hat trick up there.

I don't think there was any doubt Sheffield United were going to win that game one way or another. We didn't carry enough threat going forward. 

We could well be in the same division next season but they are miles ahead of us in organisation, movement, tactics and motivation.

I don't think we had any belief that we would. That's the Head Coach's job to instill that and that's non existent.

I thought Pato and Williams looked good first half. But rushing Williams back looks to have cost us again. If he's broke down again then that is poor management as he's only had 65 mins of a reserve fixture and similar time in the Cardiff defeat.

But I think you saw the real problems we have which is up front. You defend first from the front and in Wells and Diedhiou they offer nothing in that respect. Wells in particular looks completely out of sorts and the failure to get his head up and spot an unmarked Pato is pretty damming and sums him up for me. Diedhiou ambles around and isn't switched on enough. It's almost like its the wrong players being asked to do a job they plainly cannot do which is a lot of running. So yet again a disjointed formation with the front players starved of anything.

For me it was definitely a night for Semenyo with Palmer in behind. Plenty of movement and keeping their defence occupied. So it's no surprise we looked better when those two came on.

We are so predictable with the lack of movement up front. They need wingers and playing balls into the box and supporting. But that will never happen because we have so many problems in midfield and play too deep for most of the time. That's a tactical problem the Head Coach fails to address time and again.

As an example when we had Nicky Maynard he was very adept at putting pressure on defenders with his quick movement. Its just not Wells and Diedhiou's game.

VAR and the subsequent sending off was a complete farce. Why do we have to be punished twice for an involuntary movement of the arm which was a balancing movement with the penalty and the sending off?

Jack Hunt looked like he was struggling with his heal again but some of his passes were so sloppy and wayward culminating in that dreadful pass back free kick at the end.

Riley Towler can be very proud for an accomplished debut and was one of the plus points tonight. I thought Taylor Moore played well also.

Overall, disappointing and predictable.

Just like Dean Holden.

I think we miss Weimann more than we realise.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
48 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Boring, passionless, going through the motions with no spark or talent going forward. Only looked like scoring when the front two were finally taken off. What took him so long to get them off? 

Exactly. Changes were way too late. Why can’t we at lest have a go. It’s a cup competition. Keeper didn’t even come up for Hunt’ pinpoint free kick.

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Would've loved to have seen Bobby Reid and Weimann play upfront together 

Would love to see Kylie and Dannii Minogue naked under my duvet but hey ho.

• Haha 2

We seem to be going through the motions of expecting to lose, but hoping we get a chance out of nowhere that can change things. It's hard to watch a team with a blunt attack and selfish striker and few chances created which seem to be getting fewer by the game.  Yes you need to start from the back and be organized defensively but apart from eager youth tonight a soulless, aimless team display.

Entertainment is not expected anymore but a team that tries until the final whistle is always respected by the fans.

The appointment of experience is a factor, you just have to take a jealous look at Bristol rugby and the difference a world class coach makes assisted by quality players.  Yes it's cheaper but does the current setup realize that  to succeed in football costs.  They need to be honest and tell us what their real aims are.  The Premiership is not going to happen with the current leadership - starting with CEO.

17 minutes ago, Gordon Saunderson said:

I’d have preferred it if we had gone out and  had a go instead of that boring load of shite, yes you are right it was a lot better than recent performances though so what does that say about us

5 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Exactly. Changes were way too late. Why can’t we at lest have a go. It’s a cup competition. Keeper didn’t even come up for Hunt’ pinpoint free kick.

We don't know how to "have a go" and that's the problem

55 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Our final 3rd performance is a worry I agree but generally tonight we did ok. Not the result I wanted obviously but I do take some positives from the game.

A career in football management awaits you Tone with a summary of that class ... 😳👍

Fair play we had a right go at em tonight . Proper cup tie and we played with blood and thunder . Deano and his staff can’t take great pride in our performance and us fans are lucky to have a young up and coming manager leading  us to the Premiership. His recruitment of two experienced England youth coaches has proved a master stroke . We have so much to push for this season and the promised land isn’t too far away 

• Haha 6
2 minutes ago, shelts said:

Fair play we had a right go at em tonight . Proper cup tie and we played with blood and thunder . Deano and his staff can’t take great pride in our performance and us fans are lucky to have a young up and coming manager leading  us to the Premiership. His recruitment of two experienced England youth coaches has proved a master stroke . We have so much to push for this season and the promised land isn’t too far away 

He's just said "the season is on now". 

Hold on to your trousers everyone.

21 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Would've loved to have seen Bobby Reid and Weimann play upfront in the same team

Weimann, Afobe and Palmer had us dreaming and drooling for a while - what a shame such tragic circumstances took that delicious triumvirate from us ...

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, NotRoyal said:

They are the problem. I’m afraid. No positivity. No possession or pattern of play. At times we were like a pub team Ashton does not train them and pick the team. There are enough good players at the club to get better results than we are getting 

Agree with all that, but the buck stops at the top. 

49 minutes ago, maxjak said:

We needed to buy a striker with pace, not Wells, he is all wrong for a side with no wingers...

Well, he seems to be played as a winger most of the time so perhaps he is expected to cross it to himself?! Laughable, he’s a striker, put him in the f@cking box and get the ball to him. He will probably leave and score shedloads of goals at a club that realises he is a striker ... 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, hollydog said:

The problem was, it was balancing staying in the game for a final push vs trying to get back into it. 11 v 10, 1 down etc. Agree on the lack of O'Leary coming up however.

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, he seems to be played as a winger most of the time so perhaps he is expected to cross it to himself?! Laughable, he’s a striker, put him in the f@cking box and get the ball to him. He will probably leave and score shedloads of goals at a club that realises he is a striker ... 

Ones that play to his strengths too.

Not a fan of pairing him with Diedhiou. Rather have him maybe alongside Semenyo with Palmer behind or perhaps Paterson wide left, Semenyo wide right with Wells central.

Were Weimann fit this would also help. Definitely shouldn't have Wells in a wider role though. Weakens us offensively and defensively.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

The problem was, it was balancing staying in the game for a final push vs trying to get back into it. 11 v 10, 1 down etc. Agree on the lack of O'Leary coming up however.

I don't think we looked any worse when we were down a man. I'm not sure that's a complement given the implication.