IGNORED

VAR

GTFABM

I can put up with most things about modern football but i cannot stand VAR. Not just because a decision went against us just watching any game i think it ruins it. Mark Ashton being a belter, Dean Holdens uninspiring football won’t stop me going to games! But the second they bring VAR to the championship thats me done
I posted this on the matchday thread. Get it in the bin I ******* hate it

Its a joke. I wouldn't be calling for a penalty if circumstances were the other way because no one noticed it in real time - ball was hit so hard. Basically no intention to handle it and yet they have to go away and review it etc.

It is a massive waste of time and money yet will stay for no good reason other than they won't admit its no use.

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

Its a joke. I wouldn't be calling for a penalty if circumstances were the other way because no one noticed it in real time - ball was hit so hard. Basically no intention to handle it and yet they have to go away and review it etc.

It is a massive waste of time and money yet will stay for no good reason other than they won't admit its no use.

The only way i can think it might be less of a joke than it is. Is video refs get maximum 3 replays, if they can’t decide after that then it’s not clear and obvious so move on.

Just now, GTFABM said:

The only way i can think it might be less of a joke than it is. Is video refs get maximum 3 replays, if they can’t decide after that then it’s not clear and obvious so move on.

If we have to have it -which I wouldn't - they should give teams one review each. And the ref can have one also if he thinks something has gone seriously wrong. 

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

If we have to have it -which I wouldn't - they should give teams one review each. And the ref can have one also if he thinks something has gone seriously wrong. 

Thats something i havn’t thought of but like the idea. Same as you though just get rid of it. 

It has to go, with technology every sport they are making the correct decision ie Tennis, Cricket, Rugby but in football they are still making wrong decisions. Goal line technology works but VAR does not have a high enough success rate. The problem now is that fans of every club are getting frustrated with it and it has taken the attention away from game for the wrong reasons.

15 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

13 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Thats something i havn’t thought of but like the idea. Same as you though just get rid of it. 

Kinda works in cricket - if teams blow reviews of wickets on speculative tactical guesses it bites them on the bum when there’s a genuine mistake and they can’t overturn the decision. Happened this week in the India test.

Just now, steveybadger said:

Kinda works in cricket - if teams blow reviews of wickets on speculative tactical guesses it bites them on the bum when there’s a genuine mistake and they can’t overturn the decision. Happened this week in the India test.

And it works well in cricket. But cricket lasts for 8 hours a day so 3 reviews makes sense per 70 overs or whatever it is makes sense. So that is why I'd limit it to 1 per team plus one ref review.

11 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

And it works well in cricket. But cricket lasts for 8 hours a day so 3 reviews makes sense per 70 overs or whatever it is makes sense. So that is why I'd limit it to 1 per team plus one ref review.

DRS is there for the howlers. Could also, like cricket, let teams keep their ‘review’ if it’s successful

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

DRS is there for the howlers. Could also, like cricket, let teams keep their ‘review’ if it’s successful

Possibly although one of the main things I hate about VAR (there is so much to hate) is that it all takes time from what is a fairly fast moving game generally. So really anything that adds more time on is probably not ideal. 

5 minutes ago, BS3City said:

If that was a league game, with an opposition player in AMs position (and no VAR obviously) I would never be shouting for a pen.

So then we suffer the double punishment of a penalty and a red card? And a ban for the player too!

Absolutely shocking all round...

This is it - not one person appealed or saw it. Ie no one was bothered and VAR is looking to find stuff that no one cares about.

29 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

It's great in cricket, ask Mike Gatting.. 

? 

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It's not so much var that is the problem, more the way that it's used, and the stupid rule changes that are made.

Var is supposed to be for clear and obvious errors. How is it a clear and obvious error when a bloke is offside by his toe or his finger?

Who decides that it's now a penalty if the ball hits the hand and there's no intent to handle it?

Maybe players should be aiming to kick the ball deliberately at a defender's hands rather than at the goal. After all, a penalty and a red card must be better than just a goal!

Just now, Redtucks said:

It's not so much var that is the problem, more the way that it's used, and the stupid rule changes that are made.

Var is supposed to be for clear and obvious errors. How is it a clear and obvious error when a bloke is offside by his toe or his finger?

Who decides that it's now a penalty if the ball hits the hand and there's no intend to handle it?

Maybe players should be aiming to kick the ball deliberately at a defender's hands rather than at the goal. After all, a penalty and a red card must be better than just a goal!

I would still be against it if used better but we were told it was just to use for the clear and obvious. Clearly that isn't happening and like you say I couldn't care less if someone is slightly ahead of a line drawn on a screen and they have to look 20 times and zoom in etc.

Apparently the handball thing - intention doesn't come in to it. This is where the rule is the issue although having VAR makes this joke rule change worse.

I don't have a problem with the concept of VAR, but the way it's applied is terrible. I'd make the following changes:

1) the ref has to ask for it and ask the video ref to look for a specific infringement

2) the video ref has no more than 60 seconds to review the footage and the ref doesn't get a pitch side monitor. If it takes more than that to determine if someone is offside or it's a handball, then it's not an egregious error

2 minutes ago, Super said:

You have to remember that the ref didnt even notice the handball in the first place so they overturned a wrong decision which it was brought in to do. Whether the law is a right one is another arguement. 

The fact that no one appealed means they are using VAR to pick things that really no one cares about. That is one reason I'd get rid of VAR. If it is a clear and obvious error that all players and fans see that is one thing. But for something no one would be bothered about - just finding something for sake of it.

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The fact that no one appealed means they are using VAR to pick things that really no one cares about. That is one reason I'd get rid of VAR. If it is a clear and obvious error that all players and fans see that is one thing. But for something no one would be bothered about - just finding something for sake of it.

Pretty sure the Sheff U guy right by it appealed?

To me, the annoyance is that, had the game have been played at AG (no VAR) no penalty would have been given, Mawson wouldn’t have been sent off thus no ensuing suspension. Because the Prem team were drawn at home, VAR is used, pen awarded, man sent off and suspended.

Seems to me unfair to play to different rules on different grounds. 

Archived